seems carnival is doing things right.

You have a point, I saw innovative and my mind said improvement. oops.

I made a sugestion to JH the other day about adding Zumba to morning activities after seeing it on our Princess TA.

As it turns out it is on the Miracle and he will ask them to continue it on Miracle when it does longer cruises to Hawaii this fall. Lots of sea days on this one and will help me enjoy the days and not gain too much weight.

Doing the Pride relocation cruise next year after its drydock and hopefully they will have a better version of playlist.

There are a lot of areas they can improve on, on that we do not disagree. I really think they are making strides in that area. My main wish (and nobody is asking;)) would be to get creative and add different ports of call. We loved Tortola and they lost that to NCL and Disney. We were on the Sunshine for the naming ceremony and was talking to some big whigs and mentioned Tortola and it was interesting to watch his face. They clearly were surprised with that one.

Interesting point, while they have not done things along the lines of the Quantum and no MDR or NCL in its different approach they have done innovative things. I will mention a few: Concert series, American Table, Dr Seuss, new entertainment company, Guys, Blue iguana, Red Frog Pub and have their multi talented award winning senior cruise director which has the highest read blog in the travel industry. Mud slingers will find fault here as usual. Only took 5 posts before a Walmart comment snuck in.;)

I am so sick of the constant and repetitive walmart of the sea comparison. Pure unmitigated bull! It's the 99 cents of the seas

We looked at the Pride relocation but could not make it work for us scheduling wise. Nice Itinerary, and I can't wait to see a Red Frog pub on her. It is another via option from the Northeast without flying (Baltimore) although I would only to the eastern Caribbean sailing, not the port Canaveral one.

Two couples that we have cruised with a bunch of times twisted our arms until we agreed to go. Great group going and cruise is almost sold out already.

They took off Curacao and substituted Bonaire for some reason but happy for that as it will be our first time there.

Ironically, I found this article while I was researching why CCL stock tumbled to year-to-date low today.:(

Yeah, I was wondering why it fell nearly 1.9% today too. The market as a whole was down, but not nearly as much as CCL.

I am so sick of the constant and repetitive walmart of the sea comparison. Pure unmitigated bull! It's the 99 cents of the seas

Good point, much better. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

[ QUOTE=EZ4;43434861]18 months ago, Carnival was reeling. They're definitely better off now.

I don't think even they would argue with you on that. They did have a rough stretch.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Stu, there is a difference in whether you think something is an improvement and whether or not it is innovative. I do have to say I thought of your comments on playlist as soon as I read the article. I think they have begun to put better entertainment in the nightclubs (Breeze and Sunshine and expect to see more of the same expanded to other ships soon.

Innovation? Think not. Cost cutting modifications to their service product? Right on target. So called innovation has equalled poor stock performance. The reality here is that within the cruise industry Carnival has always been the pricing leader. In years past those attractive prices were accompanied by a perception of value. Still today Carnival remains the pricing leader but the value quotient is ebbing away. Carnival will always attract price conscious buyers but they are digging themselves a hole. As they continue to garner business with attractive pricing they must continue to reduce their costs in order to maintain that marketing model. Stockholders demand profits! The longer that goes on, the value quotient will eventually become undetectable.

Innovation? Think not. Cost cutting modifications to their service product? Right on target. So called innovation has equalled poor stock performance. The reality here is that within the cruise industry Carnival has always been the pricing leader. In years past those attractive prices were accompanied by a perception of value. Still today Carnival remains the pricing leader but the value quotient is ebbing away. Carnival will always attract price conscious buyers but they are digging themselves a hole. As they continue to garner business with attractive pricing they must continue to reduce their costs in order to maintain that marketing model. Stockholders demand profits! The longer that goes on, the value quotient will eventually become undetectable.

Yes!

I think that the generation thing is at play also.

These younger new cruisers do not know what they are missing from the past.

They are Carnivals target for sure...among everyone else too.

Inexperienced cruisers for cheap rates = repeat cruiser.

A new 25 year old cruiser has a way different experience than say a 50 year old who has seen their cruise experience evolve over time and been cruising for 15-25 years.

The Red Frog, Blue Iguana, ESPN Bar, Alchemy Bar....all appealing to everyone, but seen very favorably with younger blood.

We are middle aged (gulp) and only been cruising for 5 years and we have even seen ALOT of changes.

If this is true then please explain how carnival corp is cutting cost to their "service product" with the other brands? As you probably know carnival cruise lines is only one of 10 brands that make up carnival stock. If your reasoning is correct then they must be doing major cut backs with the other 9 cruise lines. It could be that what you perceive as a cut back is a modification to lure a new generation of cruisers.

Corporate doesn't release numbers for the individual cruise lines so it isn't possible to correlate anything that Carnival does to the stock price.

Carnival caters to the new cruiser and has other cruise lines for those looking for more. They continue to make changes to attract and capture their primary target market - the new cruiser.

Yes!

A new 25 year old cruiser has a way different experience than say a 50 year old who has seen their cruise experience evolve over time and been cruising for 15-25 years.

The Red Frog, Blue Iguana, ESPN Bar, Alchemy Bar....all appealing to everyone, but seen very favorably with younger blood.

We are middle aged (gulp) and only been cruising for 5 years and we have even seen ALOT of changes.

Yes, in the past years of all the cutbacks we have seen. But to the new cruisers this is brilliant what they have now and not seen the past. And all the free cruises they give out to fill the ships that must really help them look good.

Yes, in the past years of all the cutbacks we have seen. But to the new cruisers this is brilliant what they have now and not seen the past. And all the free cruises they give out to fill the ships that must really help them look good.

How many free cruises did they give out?

Yes!

Very good point. I agree. Those who are newer to Carnival and cruising don't realize how different things were even 2-3 years ago. Some of US middle aged folk, miss "what was" and find it hard to appreciate "what is". That is because some of us find "what is", no longer meets our expectations. In our case we have pretty much moved on. Not all mass market cruise lines have lost their customer focused model like CCL has.

If this is true then please explain how carnival corp is cutting cost to their "service product" with the other brands? As you probably know carnival cruise lines is only one of 10 brands that make up carnival stock. If your reasoning is correct then they must be doing major cut backs with the other 9 cruise lines. It could be that what you perceive as a cut back is a modification to lure a new generation of cruisers.

I don't go for the age thing. My husband and I are in our 40s and 50s respectively. We've been cruising off and on for 14 years. The changes haven't bothered us and the only thing most noticeable was the late night buffet being cut. The new additions are what compelled us to book a cruise this year with 2.0 features. So the whole idea that Carnival is only looking to attract young repeat cruisers is blown out of the water with us alone. I remember live music on the Lido deck. Last 2 cruises there was a DJ. Last year when we took a cruise virgin with us, she was in her 50s and since booked another one for this November with her grown kids. We love to cruise and utilize Carnival for their combination port and ship variety and affordable pricing with a great vacation atmosphere and fellow passengers. In those areas, Carnival has yet to disappoint.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Very good point. I agree. Those who are newer to Carnival and cruising don't realize how different things were even 2-3 years ago. Some of US middle aged folk, miss "what was" and find it hard to appreciate "what is". That is because some of us find "what is", no longer meets our expectations. In our case we have pretty much moved on. Not all mass market cruise lines have lost their customer focused model like CCL has.

That is one person's opinion. However opinions doesn't translate into facts.

I don't go for the age thing. My husband and I are in our 40s and 50s respectively. We've been cruising off and on for 14 years. The changes haven't bothered us and the only thing most noticeable was the late night buffet being cut. The new additions are what compelled us to book a cruise this year with 2.0 features. So the whole idea that Carnival is only looking to attract young repeat cruisers is blown out of the water with us alone. I remember live music on the Lido deck. Last 2 cruises there was a DJ. Last year when we took a cruise virgin with us, she was in her 50s and since booked another one for this November with her grown kids.

When i say new generation of cruisers i dont just mean younger cruisers. However i think some young families and people like me under 40 appreciate some of the changes more then those older. Like playlist productions. My generation likes the technology side of it. When it comes to music we like the dj. Age aside when i refer to new generation of cruisers, regaurdless of age new cruisers want familiarity. That is why you are seeing industry wide a push to have branded venues. With RCI they are putting oasis features on all their ships, CCL is funship 2.0, and ncl are adding the same bars and resturants to its fleet.

When i say new generation of cruisers i dont just mean younger cruisers. However i think some young families and people like me under 40 appreciate some of the changes more then those older. Like playlist productions. My generation likes the technology side of it. When it comes to music we like the dj. Age aside when i refer to new generation of cruisers, regaurdless of age new cruisers want familiarity. That is why you are seeing industry wide a push to have branded venues. With RCI they are putting oasis features on all their ships, CCL is funship 2.0, and ncl are adding the same bars and resturants to its fleet.

I have to agree on that one. While we are fairly new to cruising, going on 2 the last 3 years (my parents too), we like Carnival. We are in our 50's and my parents in their 70's and all 4 of us have enjoyed both of our cruises and are planning another one. Of course, Carnival is all we know and the price works and we are happy, which is all that matters. But, I really like your comment about the technology stuff and the younger generation. A non-cruise example - my hubby and I like movies where the scenery is real and the stunts are done with real cars and real people and real blowing up of things. My kids don't understand why we don't like the CG stuff as much as they do. They think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I would rather see real actors and real stunts, not CG. It translates to the cruiseline also. My son went on a Carnival cruise last year with a friend and they liked the playlist stuff. With all the technology, etc. While we have not really sat all the way through a show, it is just OK for us. But, we don't cruise for the shows so it just does not matter to us what is playing.

LOL, thanks but me thinks I hear incoming rounds whistling through the air as I type this.:confused:

Nope, not at all. I won't flame for opinions, and I respect the fact your opinion or view might be different than mine. We good? ;)

Ok, but to respond to your comment. First, I didn't mention Quantum. I didn't mention any other ships for that matter. But since you brought it up, I'll add my .02. What I consider innovation is brand new ideas that are not an answer to what other cruise lines are already doing. NCL's Freestyle was innovative. RCI's ship designs starting with Voyager Class were innovative. Celebrity's natural grass Lawn Club was innovative.

The concert series on Carnival is a great idea. I never said it was bad. But innovative, it is not. Other cruise lines were already offering concerts, although they were more sporadic. I attended a Taylor Swift concert on Allure before CCL started doing this. So please don't take my copycat comments to equate to it being a bad thing. I just don't agree with CCL touting innovation when it's not really their thing.

I haven't checked the calendar and compared it to the stock dip, but wasn't it when the Concordia was back in the news recently? (Finally hauling it off for scrap.) I thought about my stock at that moment and wondered it it would take a hit.

We are loyal Carnival cruisers. We have tried other lines and have come back. For our family, Carnival offers everything we want and need at prices that fit our budget. I am obviously a fan.

I agree there is always room for improvement. I am one that believes in giving feedback through after cruise surveys and ship reviews. You would have a hard time convincing me that guest responses are completely ignored. I am sure a great deal of time, research, marketing and training efforts were put into rolling out the American Table. If it has been pulled, it is no doubt in response to guest opinion.

By the way... I can't help myself..... I own Walmart stock too.

Im not so sure if its as much of innovating (which I don't think they are), but more so people forgetting about Splendor, Triumph, and Dream.

Exactly. Carnival had a very bad run. Those ships you mentioned, along with numerous collisions that were Carnival's fault, did not make them look good at all.

Lately, when it comes to Carnival, no media has been good media. All they had to do was stay out of the spotlight for a little while. That, along with RCI coming into the media with a major ship fire, was pretty much all they needed.

I'm 100% with you on this. I worked on the Carnival ships back in the 80's - were things different? They were in some ways - more entertainers onboard, more live bands, huge midnight buffets, better quality of food - but, check out the price you paid for those cruises (probably double the price of cruising now). And for those who want to go back to those days - as you grow away from Carnival, you'd probably be happier on the "luxury" cruise lines.

For those of us who kind of make the best of things - I'm thrilled to be going on the Breeze in a few weeks and enjoying the 2.0 features. I'm in my late 50's and I am more than satisfied with Carnival. They meet my needs as I'm really not into going to the production shows, and I've enjoyed the small bands on my last two cruises.

I don't think Carnival pretends to be anything that it isn't. I think that those who are no longer happy with the company will (and should) look at other lines - be willing to pay a little more for what you want. But, I don't think you need to blast CCL at every turn for not meeting your needs.

Nope, not at all. I won't flame for opinions, and I respect the fact your opinion or view might be different than mine. We good? ;)

Ok, but to respond to your comment. First, I didn't mention Quantum. I didn't mention any other ships for that matter. But since you brought it up, I'll add my .02. What I consider innovation is brand new ideas that are not an answer to what other cruise lines are already doing. NCL's Freestyle was innovative. RCI's ship designs starting with Voyager Class were innovative. Celebrity's natural grass Lawn Club was innovative.

The concert series on Carnival is a great idea. I never said it was bad. But innovative, it is not. Other cruise lines were already offering concerts, although they were more sporadic. I attended a Taylor Swift concert on Allure before CCL started doing this. So please don't take my copycat comments to equate to it being a bad thing. I just don't agree with CCL touting innovation when it's not really their thing.

fair enough.