Sunday / Horseshoe / Special Bus

FairportNY

Arriving on Sunday 8/15, anticipate being at bus area about 3:30ish looking to get to Horseshoe beach:

· On Sunday do they run from Dockyard a “Special” to Horseshoe?

· How much is Special (same as cost as reg. #7 bus?), is that a R/T or pay each way for Special?

· Will Special take cash (I know they only take coin, is US quarter payment acceptable)?

· Will Special allow use of bus pass or token?

· I believe Special departs dockyard when full – any idea on return from Horseshoe, and last bus back on Sunday?

Thanks!

The Special Horseshoe Beach bus is the same price as any other bus and it is a one way fare. They will take coins on the bus. If you can get the dollar coins from your bank, you don't have to carry so many coins. You can also buy tokens at the Tourist Information booth where they sell the day passes. The return buses are the ones that drop of the swimmers. So whenever they get there is the time for the return bus. Not sure how late they run at night but the beach is open from sunrise to dusk.

The Special Horseshoe Beach bus is the same price as any other bus and it is a one way fare. They will take coins on the bus. If you can get the dollar coins from your bank, you don't have to carry so many coins. You can also buy tokens at the Tourist Information booth where they sell the day passes. The return buses are the ones that drop of the swimmers. So whenever they get there is the time for the return bus. Not sure how late they run at night but the beach is open from sunrise to dusk.

Thanks, great idea on the $1 coins! Beats the wait when the ship arrives waiting to buy the tokens. I am guessing the Special bus runs Sunday, or on days a new ship arrives?

Arriving on Sunday 8/15, anticipate being at bus area about 3:30ish looking to get to Horseshoe beach:

· On Sunday do they run from Dockyard a “Special” to Horseshoe?

· How much is Special (same as cost as reg. #7 bus?), is that a R/T or pay each way for Special?

· Will Special take cash (I know they only take coin, is US quarter payment acceptable)?

· Will Special allow use of bus pass or token?

· I believe Special departs dockyard when full – any idea on return from Horseshoe, and last bus back on Sunday?

Thanks!

Do you really mean 3:30 or is that a typo?

Do you really mean 3:30 or is that a typo?

I believe the OP is arriving on the Grandeur of the Seas, on Sunday 8/17 (not 8/15 as stated)...and yes, that ship is scheduled to dock at 3 pm, so 3:30 makes sense.

The simple answer is that the buses stop running too early on Sunday for a trip to and from the beach by bus to be practical. As a previous poster noted the last return bus departs Hamilton at 4:30.

Making the trip via a shared taxi or mini bus, typically at $7 per person each way, may be an option, provided you can arrange for a return trip in advance with the driver.

I believe the OP is arriving on the Grandeur of the Seas, on Sunday 8/17 (not 8/15 as stated)...and yes, that ship is scheduled to dock at 3 pm, so 3:30 makes sense.

The simple answer is that the buses stop running too early on Sunday for a trip to and from the beach by bus to be practical. As a previous poster noted the last return bus departs Hamilton at 4:30.

Correct, it is 8/17 Grandeur, arrival at 3. Was hoping to get max beach time with that late arrival. Looks like bus out would give me about enough time to catch the bus back!! The ‘Specials’ don’t run any later for returns? Guess I need to start looking at way to either arrange taxi pick-up (we are a party of 4) – any idea what the taxi ride back should cost? Thanks!

I can't tell you what the "special" bus situation is on a Sunday late afternoon.

Normal taxi fare between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay should be about $35 plus tip for 1-4 passengers, but there's a 25% surcharge on Sundays, so figure the fare will be about $43-45, plus tip. BUT...I wouldn't want to count on taxis being readily available at Horseshoe Bay on Sunday evening. If I were you I would make arrangements with a driver to pick you up at a particular time, and I would also jot down the phone #s of the two or three Bermuda taxi dispatch companies (the numbers are listed on a board that also has approximate taxi fares that is posted at Dockyard) and have a working cell phone with you...just in case the driver you thought would be coming to get you doesn't show up.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks, great idea on the $1 coins! Beats the wait when the ship arrives waiting to buy the tokens. I am guessing the Special bus runs Sunday, or on days a new ship arrives?

Your choice but I would hesitate to use the $1 coins. They are often confused with quarters right here in the US.

I can't tell you what the "special" bus situation is on a Sunday late afternoon.

Normal taxi fare between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay should be about $35 plus tip for 1-4 passengers, but there's a 25% surcharge on Sundays, so figure the fare will be about $43-45, plus tip. BUT...I wouldn't want to count on taxis being readily available at Horseshoe Bay on Sunday evening. If I were you I would make arrangements with a driver to pick you up at a particular time, and I would also jot down the phone #s of the two or three Bermuda taxi dispatch companies (the numbers are listed on a board that also has approximate taxi fares that is posted at Dockyard) and have a working cell phone with you...just in case the driver you thought would be coming to get you doesn't show up.

CA_06171422525505-L.jpg

Thank you Charles4515

Thank everyone for input / pics / prices. I guess my Horseshoe trip just a wee bit more complicated / expensive, good news I can take Special bus out, and will arrange for taxi pick-up (and also bring those other taxi numbers – just in case) so I can stay at the beach for a few hours (look like sunset is about 8:15 on Aug 17th). I am looking forward to seeing Horseshoe, but, not overnight! So thanks everyone for the info / insight on transport.

I am thinking now maybe that is why the RCL Grandeur was a tad cheaper than other Bermuda cruises – Sunday afternoon arrival is not looking like a prime choice? I don’t know why they can’t get in earlier I looked at the dock schedule and it look like the dock is open. A noon arrival would make that a much preferred itinerary!

Don't count on the "special" bus running from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay that late on a Sunday afternoon. (For that matter even on a weekday they may not run the "special" that late in the day.) It may, it may not. You may have to take the regular #7 rather than the nonstop "special".

Edited by njhorseman

Don't count on the "special" bus running from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay that late on a Sunday afternoon. (For that matter even on a weekday they may not run the "special" that late in the day.) It may, it may not. You may have to take the regular #7 rather than the nonstop "special".

Pretty sure you are right. They only run specials in the morning during the week. And they run them back from the beach around 4:00. Never arrived Sunday afternoon but I expect most don't head for the beach that late. I wouldn't.

That late on a Sunday I would head to Snorkel Park I think.

Or I would do all my shopping at the Dockyard, rum cake and glass factory so my last day would be free and I could enjoy something else on the Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am thinking now maybe that is why the RCL Grandeur was a tad cheaper than other Bermuda cruises – Sunday afternoon arrival is not looking like a prime choice? I don’t know why they can’t get in earlier I looked at the dock schedule and it look like the dock is open. A noon arrival would make that a much preferred itinerary!

A five day or six day cruise is not a prime choice. I have cruised out of Baltimore. Not to Bermuda, but it takes eight hours or so to get out of the Chesapeake Bay and to the Atlantic Ocean. Likely a noon arrival in Bermuda is not possible. That is why I take a three hour train ride to the New York area and sail out of there on seven day sailings to Bermuda even though I can drive to the Baltimore port in 30 minutes. The cruises I took out of Baltimore were ten and eleven days.

Edited by Charles4515

Hey, FairportNY, I live in Ontario, NY. We are practically neighbors. Enjoy your cruise to Bermuda. It is a beautiful island. Going back this September for the sixth year in a row. Can never get enough of Bermuda.

Hey, FairportNY, I live in Ontario, NY. We are practically neighbors. Enjoy your cruise to Bermuda. It is a beautiful island. Going back this September for the sixth year in a row. Can never get enough of Bermuda.

Flowers, what ship / port is your September trip - have all 6 been same ship? This will be our 3rd, we did 2 on Dawn out of Boston, I really liked it, but, wanted to try something different. Baltimore is the same drive time for us 'way upstaters' - and parking is the same price as Boston (not like NYC). I guess I should have realized it would have taken some time to get out of the Chesapeake (looking forward to sailing out and under the bridges) - thinking Baltimore was closer to Bermuda I thought RCL would have arrived closer to noon on Sunday (Dawn gets in at 11) - we too love Bermuda and can't get enough - hence why I want to get to the beach, not having to hang in dockyard - I love the fort museum but it too closes at 5. Guess I will try the new ‘mini-golf’ in dockyard Sunday, Snorkel Beach, and a walk up to Sea Glass beach – not a bad day!

Edited by FairportNY

Flowers, what ship / port is your September trip - have all 6 been same ship? This will be our 3rd, we did 2 on Dawn out of Boston, I really liked it, but, wanted to try something different. Baltimore is the same drive time for us 'way upstaters' - and parking is the same price as Boston (not like NYC). I guess I should have realized it would have taken some time to get out of the Chesapeake (looking forward to sailing out and under the bridges) - thinking Baltimore was closer to Bermuda I thought RCL would have arrived closer to noon on Sunday (Dawn gets in at 11) - we too love Bermuda and can't get enough - hence why I want to get to the beach, not having to hang in dockyard - I love the fort museum but it too closes at 5. Guess I will try the new ‘mini-golf’ in dockyard Sunday, Snorkel Beach, and a walk up to Sea Glass beach – not a bad day!

No day in Bermuda is a bad day!!! We did the Dawn out of Boston last year with 14 family members for our 50th Anniversary. We have done the Gem out of NYC. We have stopped there twice on Explorer of the Seas for one day of a 9 or 10 cruise. We have also done the Song of America out of Bayonne when she docked at St. George, Hamilton, and Dockyard. That was a small RCCI and she could get through the cut into St. George. My Daughter and I did the Dawn when she went out of Bayonne too. This year, the Explorer of the Seas is the second half of our first B2B. We hit New England/Canada first and then off to Bermuda. Counting the days.

I just returned from my 6th cruise to Bermuda. We had no trouble on Sunday getting a Special bus to Horseshoe Bay right under the white tents at the end of the pier. The last Special bus returned from Horseshoe Bay at 9PM. This was the first year that they ran that late. Be sure to ask the bus driver when you board the bus. They like to switch things up without telling anyone. Things start to shut down earlier in late August.

I just returned from my 6th cruise to Bermuda. We had no trouble on Sunday getting a Special bus to Horseshoe Bay right under the white tents at the end of the pier. The last Special bus returned from Horseshoe Bay at 9PM. This was the first year that they ran that late. Be sure to ask the bus driver when you board the bus. They like to switch things up without telling anyone. Things start to shut down earlier in late August.

Daphne Starr: Ah, that was the answer that I was hoping to hear. Just hope it is true on Aug 17th. If they tell they do run late – I will bring the taxi numbers just in case. And have a Plan B for something other than Horseshoe just in case. I think I will call the bus company and ask before we go to see what they say. I like to plan (but, have that “B” just in case) ahead. Many thanks!

Here is info I got from the Bermuda Bus Company when inquiring about the times on Sunday afternoon that ‘Specials’ run from Dockyard to Horseshoe (ticket, token, pass, coin accepted):

“Yes, these buses will be available on August 17th to service Horseshoe Bay and return. However, because these buses are additional to our scheduled service, they are utilized on demand and at the discretion of the supervisor on duty. These supervisors will remain on duty at Horseshoe Bay until the demand diminishes, which previously has been between the hours of 6:00pm and 7:00pm. It would be advisable to query this with the supervisor on duty at the time of your travel to Horseshoe Bay; as, as I stated previously the buses are dispatched according to demand. I hope this information has been helpful.”

• 2 weeks later...
Here is info I got from the Bermuda Bus Company when inquiring about the times on Sunday afternoon that ‘Specials’ run from Dockyard to Horseshoe (ticket, token, pass, coin accepted):

“Yes, these buses will be available on August 17th to service Horseshoe Bay and return. However, because these buses are additional to our scheduled service, they are utilized on demand and at the discretion of the supervisor on duty. These supervisors will remain on duty at Horseshoe Bay until the demand diminishes, which previously has been between the hours of 6:00pm and 7:00pm. It would be advisable to query this with the supervisor on duty at the time of your travel to Horseshoe Bay; as, as I stated previously the buses are dispatched according to demand. I hope this information has been helpful.”

Thank you for posting this. We will be there on the same day and I'm hoping that the demand will be there. Maybe we'll share the bus on the way back to the Dockyard.

Thank you for posting this. We will be there on the same day and I'm hoping that the demand will be there. Maybe we'll share the bus on the way back to the Dockyard.

[/color][/font][/size]

It appears that the "special" buses have been replaced by privately run beach shuttles costing $16 round trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079354

Edited by njhorseman

Now I'm confused. I thought there already was a 'mini-bus' which cost $14 round trip to go to the beach. What happened to that? Or is that mini-bus now this, but they did away with the public "express/special" bus?

Bummer, because my family of five is going to buy the bus/ferry pass, and we aren't going to spend an extra $80 to just go to one beach on Sunday. Even if the kids are less (which it doesn't say), it's still going to cost more than I want to spend, since we are already going to be paying for the pass.