More bad news on Sea Princess

We have been dealing with Princess UK. Having been notified a few days before we left England to fly out to Australia to join the cruise of the changed itinerary, we wrote to Princess with our concerns quoting T & C and legislation, requesting a response by a date. No response.

Wrote again on our return, eventually got a response that the changes were not significant. They also said we had not stated we wished to cancel -we had in our first letter - we could have done so at 100% cancellation.

Princess will not move on this. Even though NBC reported the case of a couple in USA who had bee bin firmed by Princess they could not cancel, when the Press got involved it was allowed.

According to Princess Southampton we could have cancelled but at 100% cost. They said the booking terms in USA were different to have allowed that couple to cancel

The majority of passengers on our cruise were Australians so order ably Princess will adhere to the T and C Australia.

This a fiasco for Princess. There has been no consistent policy except stonewalling clients.

• 4 weeks later...

Could any member please assist me. I am in protracted correspondence with Carnival UK regarding its failure to let us cancel our cruise when we only had 5 days notice of the itinerary changes.

I know there was a report in The Daily Telegraph on 27th August 2014 where an Australian passenger was eventually allowed to cancel without penalty although Princess Cruises had previously refused. The report stated the notification was too late, delays had been known by Princess who had refused a cancellation as not 50% of the ports were cancelled.

As this case may eventually go to court I need to have a full commentary to produce in evidence. Therefore a full website address would be useful. I am not engaging lawyers but will present the case myself.

Thank you for your assistance.

Could any member please assist me. I am in protracted correspondence with Carnival UK regarding its failure to let us cancel our cruise when we only had 5 days notice of the itinerary changes.

I know there was a report in The Daily Telegraph on 27th August 2014 where an Australian passenger was eventually allowed to cancel without penalty although Princess Cruises had previously refused. The report stated the notification was too late, delays had been known by Princess who had refused a cancellation as not 50% of the ports were cancelled.

As this case may eventually go to court I need to have a full commentary to produce in evidence. Therefore a full website address would be useful. I am not engaging lawyers but will present the case myself.

Are you after the article?

I think you're referring to http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/how-to-save-700-a-year-on-your-electricity-bill/story-fnlrw4is-1227039173204?nk=3563effc8f5d828c42956a935cbddf86 See HOLIDAY WAS NOT SO CRUISY .

However, that was not refunded from Princess. The refund came from the travel agent instead.

Many thanks for the assistance offered by some of you.

Some of the comments were not helpful. We had booked this cruise fir our Ruby Wedding Anniversary, and chosen because of the ports. To find out 5 days before we left home we would not be visiting Bali and Port Douglas and timing of other ports had been changed was disappointing. Princess had known for almost one month and have conceded this point.

We have done over 50 cruises and have never met with such intransigence as we have with Princess.

They have lost goodwill over the way they have alt with the Sea Princess issues.

Many thanks for the assistance offered by some of you.

Some of the comments were not helpful. We had booked this cruise fir our Ruby Wedding Anniversary, and chosen because of the ports. To find out 5 days before we left home we would not be visiting Bali and Port Douglas and timing of other ports had been changed was disappointing. Princess had known for almost one month and have conceded this point.

We have done over 50 cruises and have never met with such intransigence as we have with Princess.

They have lost goodwill over the way they have alt with the Sea Princess issues.

So sorry this has turned into such a disappointment and a battle. You are very right. Princess has lost a lot of goodwill & credibility. :( There is enough competition that they should be treating their customers with more respect.

This has just been sent out to all the passengers who are going on the Sea Princess on the 29th / 30th September 2014:

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

This has just been sent out to all the passengers who are going on the Sea Princess on the 29th / 30th September 2014:

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances.

Goodness, as disappointing as it must be for all concerned, it is probably for the best that the ship is fixed properly and tested as well. It will need to get up to Brisbane so they can test it properly then.

Thank goodness Princess have bitten the bullet and pulled the cruise eventually. They need to get the ship working and tested properly and then get back to cruising well.

They have been generous with their offers for all 3 mucked up cruises but there will be people who will be out of pocket due to costs they are unable to claim for or that will be refused and the problem with some is that if they are working they have to wait a year for another holiday break - both of which leave a bad taste.

Now the decisions have been made let us let them get back to cruising and giving people a good priced holiday.:D:D;)

What a stuff up with their communication, I found this on FB, posted at 10am today.

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

"Update from Princess Cruises regarding Sea Princess's delayed departure:

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Sea Princess for your upcoming voyage. Check-in for your cruise is scheduled to begin at 4:00 PM on 30 September at White Bay Cruise Terminal.

If you have been booked on a flight or in a hotel arranged by Princess, transfers to the pier will be provided. If your flight is scheduled to arrive in Sydney early in the day, we will transport you to a hospitality area where you can wait comfortably before transfer to the pier for check-in. Lunch and light refreshments will be provided. Please have your Princess luggage tags attached to your bags before arriving in Sydney, as your baggage will be transported directly from the airport to the pier. Please be sure to keep your passport, cruise documents, and any medications or other necessary items in your carry-on." ^Stu

and then one hour later at 11am and also as per Kiwi_cruiser.

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

"IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances." ^Stu

Unbelievable that they were confirming a late boarding just before the cancellation.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

What a stuff up with their communication, I found this on FB, posted at 10am today.

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

"Update from Princess Cruises regarding Sea Princess's delayed departure:

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Sea Princess for your upcoming voyage. Check-in for your cruise is scheduled to begin at 4:00 PM on 30 September at White Bay Cruise Terminal.

If you have been booked on a flight or in a hotel arranged by Princess, transfers to the pier will be provided. If your flight is scheduled to arrive in Sydney early in the day, we will transport you to a hospitality area where you can wait comfortably before transfer to the pier for check-in. Lunch and light refreshments will be provided. Please have your Princess luggage tags attached to your bags before arriving in Sydney, as your baggage will be transported directly from the airport to the pier. Please be sure to keep your passport, cruise documents, and any medications or other necessary items in your carry-on." ^Stu

and then one hour later at 11am and also as per Kiwi_cruiser.

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

"IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances." ^Stu

Unbelievable that they were confirming a late boarding just before the cancellation.:(

@MicCanberra - You realise that information you just posted is from a "Unofficial fan page" :)

Note: All of the above information was received from a travel agent / Roll call group / page, which I then posted to said page ( I was just about to post that first post here when I saw that the cruise was cancelled).

Really feeling for those affected.

Yes the compensation is ok free cruise and all but I would be so very disappointed.

I really really look forward to each cruise and reckon I'd be pissed.

Wouldn't it be nice - if all pax that have been affected, could go on the refurbished Sun Princess - (not the "maiden" voyage of course - let all the top nobs do that one :p) - or be one of the first pax on a refurbished - similar size P&O Cruise. Of course doing the itinerary they should have been doing. I reckon that would be a nice gesture from P&O :D

Edited by dizzy1948

I am sure most will see it as fair but probably would have wanted to do the original cruise that they had booked.

It's pretty obvious people would have liked to have done it, but the reality is sometimes things happen.

When it does, you can only look at the reason and how you're treated. In this case, Princess did well.

They have been generous with their offers for all 3 mucked up cruises but there will be people who will be out of pocket due to costs they are unable to claim for or that will be refused and the problem with some is that if they are working they have to wait a year for another holiday break - both of which leave a bad taste.

It was said they would cover reasonable costs, so I believe they will keep people whole - and rightly so.

Leave isn't anything they can do anything about. If I were in that situation, I'd check what else I could do with the available time. Since people will have a full refund, the choice on spending that is up to the individual.

And next time they have a holiday available, they can have a free cruise to look forward to. Quite decent!