More bad news on Sea Princess

I suppose all those passengers who had their holidays ruined and cannot easily return to work and apply for other leave may find something fun to do. Perhaps those still in Brisbane can do the all theme parks for two weeks and those already in Sydney can do harbour cruises.:rolleyes:

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

"IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances." ^Stu

SEA PRINCESS UPDATE:

"IMPORTANT NOTICES

As you know, Sea Princess has been in repair at the Garden Island dry-dock in Sydney for the past several days. Work has continued on the complex repair project and over the past 48 hours it has become clear that the work will be more complicated than originally thought, causing additional undetermined delays. At this time we cannot confirm with certainty when Sea Princess will be ready to sail. In an abundance of caution, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the cruise. In recognition of this extraordinary circumstance, all guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, pre- and post-cruise packages, air costs, and taxes, fees, and port expenses. Each guest will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will also be considered. We will also work with our guests who have begun their travels to secure homeward arrangements. Please know that we share in your disappointment and deeply appreciate your patience and understanding of these circumstances." ^Stu

That has all ready been posted on page 6 :)

Yes, Kiwi cruiser but the timing was still very quick after the first announcement.

That was because information came in very quickly.... :eek:

Here is what happened yesterday,

When I got up, I had received that first message from a travel agent, welcoming everyone who is doing that cruise and everyone on the roll call I was watching was expecting to do the cruise....

A hour latter after I posted the first message I got a message from someone who was doing the cruise and from a travel agent saying that the cruise was cancelled.

It would be better if us aussies instead of getting second hand refurbished ships all the time based in australia,a newish one would be a treat! considering we pay more downunder for a cruise and having the most increase in cruising than the rest of the world!

While Aussies continue with the "she'll be right mate" attitude that most of us have and tolerate the "hand me down" ships from USA without a whimper then we will continue to be given that deal. Do you think the Americans would accept this?

I don't think so.

We don't know any different here because we have never experienced the newer ships and the cruise companies know we will accept the older ships any way

Until we start sending messages to them with our feet and taking drastic action like refusing to travel on the older ships then we will continue to get the present treatment. The only trouble is that savvy people like members of Cruise Critic are too few on the ground to make an impact and once again, the Companies are well aware of that and don't care so it seems we are more than likely stuck with what is being dished up to us

John

It would be better if us aussies instead of getting second hand refurbished ships all the time based in australia,a newish one would be a treat! considering we pay more downunder for a cruise and having the most increase in cruising than the rest of the world!

While Aussies continue with the "she'll be right mate" attitude that most of us have and tolerate the "hand me down" ships from USA without a whimper then we will continue to be given that deal. Do you think the Americans would accept this?

I don't think so.

We don't know any different here because we have never experienced the newer ships and the cruise companies know we will accept the older ships any way

Until we start sending messages to them with our feet and taking drastic action like refusing to travel on the older ships then we will continue to get the present treatment. The only trouble is that savvy people like members of Cruise Critic are too few on the ground to make an impact and once again, the Companies are well aware of that and don't care so it seems we are more than likely stuck with what is being dished up to us

John

No need to get your knickers in a knot.....

It happens to new ships as well..

heres part of an August press release from Cunard , re Queen Victoria.

Cunard announced this week that Queen Victoria will enter the Blohm & Voss Shipyard in Hamburg, Germany, earlier than planned in January 2015 for a multi-million dollar refit.

The timing of Queen Victoria’s dry dock is being brought forward, as a bearing on one of the ship’s propulsion units will need replacing prior to her previously scheduled dry dock in December 2015. This has no impact on the safety of the ship, but it is timely for the bearing to be replaced prior to the ship’s Round World Cruise beginning 20 January 2015.

The cruise line said that the timing of the dry dock will necessitate the cancellation of two cruises including a 12-day cruise to the Canaries scheduled for 3 January 2015, and a short five-day trip to Amsterdam and Cherbourg scheduled for 15 January 2015.

Ships are machines and sometimes machines break down. If the situation is handled, at all times, with the customer in mind there is not much more that can be done. I do feel for passengers who have taken time off work for annual holidays. After ranting and raving :eek: for 24hrs I'd probably jump on a plane and go to Fiji, Hawaii or somewhere relaxing like that.

Ships are machines and sometimes machines break down. If the situation is handled, at all times, with the customer in mind there is not much more that can be done. I do feel for passengers who have taken time off work for annual holidays. After ranting and raving :eek: for 24hrs I'd probably jump on a plane and go to Fiji, Hawaii or somewhere relaxing like that.

That's the way to do it!

And knowing that you've got a free cruise to look forward to makes that holiday even sweeter. No point grumbling over things you can't change, and the realities of life. No complex machine will have a 100% uptime all the time.

Cunard announced this week that Queen Victoria will enter the Blohm & Voss Shipyard in Hamburg, Germany, earlier than planned in January 2015 for a multi-million dollar refit.

The timing of Queen Victoria’s dry dock is being brought forward, as a bearing on one of the ship’s propulsion units will need replacing prior to her previously scheduled dry dock in December 2015. This has no impact on the safety of the ship, but it is timely for the bearing to be replaced prior to the ship’s Round World Cruise beginning 20 January 2015.

The cruise line said that the timing of the dry dock will necessitate the cancellation of two cruises including a 12-day cruise to the Canaries scheduled for 3 January 2015, and a short five-day trip to Amsterdam and Cherbourg scheduled for 15 January 2015.

Yes, new or old, here or abroad, things need maintenance or they break down and need repairs. Probably the biggest thing is the decision making as to when these repairs take place and then the communications and compensation around those decisions. Leaving decisions so late doesn't help anyone.

That's the way to do it!

And knowing that you've got a free cruise to look forward to makes that holiday even sweeter.

As we just discovered from booking this same cruise in January, the "100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage" is just that - only the cruise fare. So no credit on the $330 each taxes and port fees. Meaning not a free cruise unless its going to be shorter. Wonder how many people will be caught out by this?

The January version of the NZ cruise will cost our family another $2600. Not that free really.

As we just discovered from booking this same cruise in January, the "100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage" is just that - only the cruise fare. So no credit on the $330 each taxes and port fees. Meaning not a free cruise unless its going to be shorter. Wonder how many people will be caught out by this?

The January version of the NZ cruise will cost our family another $2600. Not that free really.

But that was in addition to getting a full refund for the cruise that was cancelled, wasn't it? So you're not out of pocket in any way. :confused:

This is an absolute PR disaster for Princess who should have fixed this issue months ago. Thousands of pax have had their cruises affected, delayed cut short owing to Princess lack of pro active management and trying to save money by keeping the old girl limping along for months .

When Princess Australia received SEA PRINCESS from Princess USA there was a huge maintenance deficit like lots of rust on railings, lots of wood railings had not been varnished in years and in one case I observed an external electrical conduit where the supporting brackets has rusted through and only the plastic conduit was supporting the external cable .

Sailing across the Pacific in 2012 this vessel was the tiredest Princess ship I had ever been on .

I don't think so.

John

Yearh I agree. It's not about getting your knickers in a knot. Paying more for an inferior product does annoy me too. :(

Hmmmm cancelling a Jan 2015 cruise NOW, is vary different to operating a ship with constantly adjusting itineraries that negatively impact on a cruiser's vacation, ie shorter or reduced ports, and then cancelling 2x cruisers last minute when you cannot re-use your leave.

I think it is valid to feel miffed and annoyed.

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

Wow. That is a big difference. Sorry to read that.

But that was in addition to getting a full refund for the cruise that was cancelled, wasn't it? So you're not out of pocket in any way. :confused:

Kiwijj, I think this poster is reminding us that the credit does not really equate to a "no out of pocket" free cruise. So the refund they got if applied to a dearer peak timed cruise will still cost more, & not be a free cruise as implied. :(

But as I read it, Princess never offered a free cruise, they only offered a "100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage". It is up to the individual to choose how to use that FCC. In this case the poster has a family so may be restricted as to when they can cruise and therefore doesn't get a free cruise. Another person may be able to choose a different cruise that is cheaper and will get a free cruise.

Actually what happens if the replacement cruise is cheaper, does the FCC cover port fees and taxes? Or do these have to be paid regardless since Princess only collects these on behalf of the various ports?

We're so used to having fees and charges shown as part of the fare but, in reality, they aren't.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

A better way to look at it is this.

Say the cruise cost $10,000 including $1,000 port fees etc.

So a refund is given for $10.000 (plus travel expenses) plus a FCC of $9.000. That's $19,000 in total value.

A new cruise is booked costing $12,000. After deducting the FCC a balance of $3,000 is payable, from the refunded $10,000, leaving $7,000 in the bank which could be used for another, shorter cruise. I don't see a problem with this, I'd be more than happy. :)

I have mentioned this several times on other threads as I got the 50% (less taxes and port fees) off my next cruise and lost about $180 each

However it is what it is and we get something out of it and I believe you got all your money back for the cancelled cruise??:)

A better way to look at it is this.

Say the cruise cost $10,000 including $1,000 port fees etc.

So a refund is given for $10.000 (plus travel expenses) plus a FCC of $9.000. That's $19,000 in total value.

A new cruise is booked costing $12,000. After deducting the FCC a balance of $3,000 is payable, from the refunded $10,000, leaving $7,000 in the bank which could be used for another, shorter cruise. I don't see a problem with this, I'd be more than happy. :)

That's the way I take it as working.

As said, you could for example take a shorter cruise, in a higher class of cabin, or a longer cruise in a lower class of cabin as well, so you get a lot of flexibility. You're not for example restricted to a specific cruise e.g. for foreign travellers, it may not suit them to come back to Australia, so they could book it in Europe or the US if preferred.

Given how prices go up and down, and you have complete freedom of choice, it's a very valuable credit, and you can use it for something better if you choose. Even if you do wind up having to pay the share of taxes, you're still saving about 90% of the cost.

But you did get a full refund for the cruise and also for the taxes and fees so not totally ripped off.