More bad news on Sea Princess

I guess it's the first time I've really tracked a ship leaving Brisbane but anyone know why the strange course which takes her up past Moreton Island on her right with the mainland on her left but then she sails further north than is really needed (up nearly as far as the Gold Coast before taking a right and taking bee line to the nth island of NZ??

I guess it's the first time I've really tracked a ship leaving Brisbane but anyone know why the strange course which takes her up past Moreton Island on her right with the mainland on her left but then she sails further north than is really needed (up nearly as far as the Gold Coast before taking a right and taking bee line to the nth island of NZ??

The main North West shipping channel from Brisbane runs north from Moreton Bay roughly parallel to Bribie Island until Caloundra.

I believe it avoids some navigational hazards to the north of Moreton Island.

Moreton Bay - although large is very shallow. The main ( and really only) shipping channel leaves the Brisbane River , basically crosses diagonally across to Moreton Island and then comes back in towards the outside of Bribie Island and proceeds north to around Caloundra. Quite convoluted.

You can see it here

virtual_passage_plan.png

Moreton Bay - although large is very shallow. The main ( and really only) shipping channel leaves the Brisbane River , basically crosses diagonally across to Moreton Island and then comes back in towards the outside of Bribie Island and proceeds north to around Caloundra. Quite convoluted.

You can see it here

virtual_passage_plan.png

Thanks for posting this map, it certainly looks tighter than I imagined.:D

You can see it here

virtual_passage_plan.png

Fabulous! I'd be interested to see the GBR shipping lanes if you have that information. This cruise TOP END to Perth, I'm taking a detailed map with me just to see if I can follow the path we take but if you have it already I'd be thrilled to bits :):):)

Gae

Fabulous! I'd be interested to see the GBR shipping lanes if you have that information. This cruise TOP END to Perth, I'm taking a detailed map with me just to see if I can follow the path we take but if you have it already I'd be thrilled to bits :):):)

Gae

I'd be interested as well.:D

After clearing Caloundra the ships continue north to drop the pilot off Point Cartwright - the pilot boats come out from Mooloolaba.

How long does the pilot remain onboard? It must be a few hours from the ship's departure in Brisbane?

I was tracking Sea Princess' departure from Brisbane and I was amazed how long it took her to leave the shipping channel in Brisbane and to head towards Auckland.

Yes 3-4 hours for cruise ships from Portside to off Point Cartwright.

On slower vessels we used to allow 1 hr. down the river from Hamilton, 2hrs. to the sea at Caloundra & another hour to pilot station.

Many years ago did the whole lot one night when all the crew were too drunk to steer.

To get an accurate idea of the safe tracks inside the GRB you would need to buy small scale charts from Cairns to Booby Island.

Try also the two pilot service web sites - the both have downloadable info.