More bad news on Sea Princess

Yearh I agree. It's not about getting your knickers in a knot. Paying more for an inferior product does annoy me too. :(

Hmmmm cancelling a Jan 2015 cruise NOW, is vary different to operating a ship with constantly adjusting itineraries that negatively impact on a cruiser's vacation, ie shorter or reduced ports, and then cancelling 2x cruisers last minute when you cannot re-use your leave.

I think it is valid to feel miffed and annoyed.

Agreed.

A better way to look at it is this.

Say the cruise cost $10,000 including $1,000 port fees etc.

So a refund is given for $10.000 (plus travel expenses) plus a FCC of $9.000. That's $19,000 in total value.

A new cruise is booked costing $12,000. After deducting the FCC a balance of $3,000 is payable, from the refunded $10,000, leaving $7,000 in the bank which could be used for another, shorter cruise. I don't see a problem with this, I'd be more than happy. :)

I don't see a problem with the reasoning but losing the original cruise (even with money in the bank) would still leave a bad taste and disappointment at a ruined holiday. But some will relish the opportunity and will come out way ahead, while others would have missed out on the lifetime trip.

I don't see a problem with the reasoning but losing the original cruise (even with money in the bank) would still leave a bad taste and disappointment at a ruined holiday. But some will relish the opportunity and will come out way ahead, while others would have missed out on the lifetime trip.

Yes, that is the real downside, not the financial aspect. I hope those that have missed out on their current cruise manage to have some fun regardless, and also manage to find a substitute cruise that they will enjoy in the future.

Yes, that is the real downside, not the financial aspect. I hope those that have missed out on their current cruise manage to have some fun regardless, and also manage to find a substitute cruise that they will enjoy in the future.

Yes, me too.:D

Yeah, we went right ahead and booked the cruise for January hoping to be able to cover most of it with the FCC, and also booked one for next week to the Pacific Islands which we can mostly cover with the full refund, so we could at least get a cruise now-ish.

However after paying next weeks cruise off, we discovered the error in our reading, and that means that we most likely won't be able to do the New Zealand cruise unless we can all save a fair bit of money between now and January. We'll see I guess, but we were so looking forward to a cruise to NZ.

Our thoughts were, "Hey, we get 2 cruises for a bit more than the price of one now", but its more like 1 for full price and the next for ~40% off. Not quite the same but it's our fault for reading it like that. We could do a shorter cruise and cover it with the FCC but we can't really find anything yet aside from 2 day cruises!

Just more a warning to others incase they read it the same as we did.

Still, props to Princess for the way they've handled it, I just think a 100% credit of the TOTAL Fare would be a bit nicer and soften the blow some more.

Yeah, we went right ahead and booked the cruise for January hoping to be able to cover most of it with the FCC, and also booked one for next week to the Pacific Islands which we can mostly cover with the full refund, so we could at least get a cruise now-ish.

However after paying next weeks cruise off, we discovered the error in our reading, and that means that we most likely won't be able to do the New Zealand cruise unless we can all save a fair bit of money between now and January. We'll see I guess, but we were so looking forward to a cruise to NZ.

Our thoughts were, "Hey, we get 2 cruises for a bit more than the price of one now", but its more like 1 for full price and the next for ~40% off. Not quite the same but it's our fault for reading it like that. We could do a shorter cruise and cover it with the FCC but we can't really find anything yet aside from 2 day cruises!

Still, props to Princess for the way they've handled it, I just think a 100% credit of the TOTAL Fare would be a bit nicer and soften the blow some more.

I am glad you have been able to get the two cruises you have now booked, hopefully all the disruptions are over with. Enjoy your trips.:D

Great attitude. :) Any cruise is still a good holiday!

Friends of ours are booked on Sea Princess for a 37 day South Pacific cruise ex Brisbane in 18 months time.

They just rec'd advice from Princess that cruise has been shortened by 2 days (now 35) and will be leaving from Sydney.

I don't know what other details (if any) she has, but she now reckons I am clairvoyant, as I suggested she keeps an eye out for what is happening.

My guess is that SP will be "retired" to P&O and will be replaced in the Princess fleet by something bigger and flashier...still this news is a little disconcerting.

cheers

Friends of ours are booked on Sea Princess for a 37 day South Pacific cruise ex Brisbane in 18 months time.

They just rec'd advice from Princess that cruise has been shortened by 2 days (now 35) and will be leaving from Sydney.

I don't know what other details (if any) she has, but she now reckons I am clairvoyant, as I suggested she keeps an eye out for what is happening.

My guess is that SP will be "retired" to P&O and will be replaced in the Princess fleet by something bigger and flashier...still this news is a little disconcerting.

cheers

All the cruises from after 19 February until 10 April have been put on hold and unable to book. I'm booked on the 35 day cruise out of Sydney on 10 April. That one is still showing availablity.

Edited by icat2000

cheers

Wow, 18 months out. Interesting.

Were they unhappy about it?

I assume they were appropriately compensated?

Hope there are no others!

Wow, 18 months out. Interesting.

Were they unhappy about it?

I assume they were appropriately compensated?

Hope there are no others!

Why would they be compensated. Cruiselines move about their schedules from time to time.

It's now shorter?

Yes. The repo from Brisbane to Sydney no longer exists. So I guess they can either rebook the cruise out of Sydney or not go at all. So basically Princess have cancelled the 37 day cruise going Brisbane ending in Sydney, but still offering the 35 day cruise going Sydney to Sydney.

Edited by icat2000

Yes. The repo from Brisbane to Sydney no longer exists. So I guess they can either rebook the cruise out of Sydney or not go at all. So basically Princess have cancelled the 37 day cruise going Brisbane ending in Sydney, but still offering the 35 day cruise going Sydney to Sydney.

I've found Princess good about compensation when they make changes so far out. But as final payment hasn't been made, but the cruise has been shortened, the fare should at least be repriced at a lower cost for existing bookings, regardless of what their new pricing is.

Edited by The_Big_M

So - Sea Princess is still sitting alongside White Bay. I can't find any Sydney Port cruise schedule to say when/if she is leaving for Brisbane for the 13 Oct cruise.

Princess posted this on Facebook, when someone was asking about what was happing with the Sea Princess:

Sea Princess is out of dry dock and all necessary repairs, testing, and sea trials have been completed. Sea Princess will arrive in Brisbane well in time for your cruise departing at 4:00 PM on Monday, 13 October as scheduled.

I just got an email re the Sea Princess cruises in February. It seems that she is going to do a cherry blossum cruise and end up back in Sydney for the 35 day itinerary in Sydney. Funny thing though is it stops in Brisbane on the 8 April as part of the Blossum cruise.

I just got an email re the Sea Princess cruises in February. It seems that she is going to do a cherry blossum cruise and end up back in Sydney for the 35 day itinerary in Sydney. Funny thing though is it stops in Brisbane on the 8 April as part of the Blossum cruise.

Hi Sarah,

Is that 2015 or 2016 for the Cherry Blossom Cruise?

Thanks

cheers

Perhaps you were all seeing in this case. time will tell if they do as you suggest.:D

2016. Its going to be on sale on 16 October.

I wouldn't mind doing a cherry blossom cruise one day but it won't be in the next couple of years as we are already committed to other travel plans. Perhaps 2017.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

So - Sea Princess is still sitting alongside White Bay. I can't find any Sydney Port cruise schedule to say when/if she is leaving for Brisbane for the 13 Oct cruise. Barry

Ports of Sydney schedules dont even show her as being In Port.:eek: