Park Guell

Irina

Easy DIY. Hardest part we had was finding the park from the subway stop. Not a problem with a good map or directions; just that the park entrance is a 10 minute or so walk from the subway. So, maybe depends a bit on your mobility. A taxi could get you right to park entrance. Park itself is easy on your own.

You can do it yourself in Barcelona, but a half day tour from Barcelona Day Tours will save you time. You will see more and have a wonderful guide.

If you can arrange for a group of at least six to split the cost, it will be affordable. You can do more in Barcelona after the tour.

if you plan to do a taxi- write down where you want to go (have a picture) Most of the cabbies don't speak English. Same with on the return. Show them a picture of your ship and the name of the ship. For real. I just had this experience. The taxi won't cost much.

I generally write down my destination for cabbies in foreign countries, but as obvious as your "have a picture" tip sounds, I hadn't thought to do that. It's an excellent idea, especially for returning to the ship. Thanks!

You can do it yourself in Barcelona, but a half day tour from Barcelona Day Tours will save you time. You will see more and have a wonderful guide.

If you can arrange for a group of at least six to split the cost, it will be affordable. You can do more in Barcelona after the tour.

That is what we did. Barcelona Day Tours picked us up at the airport and gave us a 4 hour tour which included Park Guell prior to our hotel check in.

I can get there with the hop on hop off bus, can't I?

Yes. I've done both the bus and taxi. The bus lets off on a main street below the park and its a block or so up a steep hill from there. A taxi would drop you off at the entrance itself.

We were there in June and they have a new timed system for entry into the monument section of the park and limit the tickets sold. We stood in line for over 30 minutes to buy tickets and had a 2 hour wait to enter the restricted section. You can walk around the outer section which is mainly garden areas while you wait which was good for about an hour for us. I thought the new system just made the rest of the park crowded with everyone waiting for their entry time. We were there in September 2013 before the new system and walked right in after quickly buying tickets.

Purchase your tickets and time online to avoid the long line and wait time.

Yes you can get there on the HOHO bus, the entrance is just about 10 minutes from the bus stop (be aware the street is a little steep)

Be sure to do a little research about how to buy tickets and entry times. When we got to the line, they said we could only buy tickets for the next "entry time" (in about 2 hours), so we had to walk around and see the park from the "free" areas, since we had to go back to our ship.

Does anyone know how accessible Park Guell is for mobility scooters/wheelchairs? I thought I read somewhere about a winding path up the hill.

Although it is possible to see a small part of the park I would not recommend it for scooters, wheelchairs or anyone with problems with lots of steps or uneven surfaces.

Yes, you can see some of the park but I don't think someone in a wheelchair or scooter would get the full benefit of the park and I would not recommend spending time there.

As rdt 10 already mentioned there is a new ticket system in the park. You are loosing a lot of time, when you do not buy the ticket in advance. We left without entering the restricted section, because we would have to wait 2 1/2 hours to go in the monument parc. Next time we will get the tickets online.

Yes, you can see some of the park but I don't think someone in a wheelchair or scooter would get the full benefit of the park and I would not recommend spending time there.

I totally agree! There are areas that are hilly and steps to get great views of Barcelona.

So we heard back from the park and they have given us a recommended route. My mom knows she can't go everywhere but even if 50 % is accessible via ramps or pathways, it's 50% more than she would see by not going at all. She can't go on the roof but there are paths that wind around to get to certain areas including the column area. Her ticket is free so even if she only sees a small portion, there is nothing to loose by trying. We have booked online and there were ample times for a little over a week from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

So we heard back from the park and they have given us a recommended route. My mom knows she can't go everywhere but even if 50 % is accessible via ramps or pathways, it's 50% more than she would see by not going at all. She can't go on the roof but there are paths that wind around to get to certain areas including the column area. Her ticket is free so even if she only sees a small portion, there is nothing to loose by trying. We have booked online and there were ample times for a little over a week from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At least you know the limitations in advance. Enjoy Barcelona. It is magical!