Sun- Aft mini or aft balcony- Alaska?

SUNNY D

First time on NCL and to Alaska. Originally booked aft balcony 9277 for may 25th 2015 but our sons graduation caused us to reschedule to Jun 8th instead. Pricing increases a good bit...$500 more than we were paying for the may 25th sailing for hubby and I in an aft balcony. The aft mini was available for another $200 more total so I booked that (9278). Im doubting my decision and wonder if this is a worthy upgrade paying $200 more than sticking with the aft balcony ? Any thoughts from experienced NCL cruisers and comparisons in the two cabin types verses the added cost would be helpful. We chose deck 9 due to reading its likely more quiet and an aft for the none windy views in Alaska....although I should note we have never sailed in the aft before and instead usually book mid ship balcony for less motion. Thanks for any advice or thoughts from those that know more than we do!

I don't know about the Sun's aft minis. However, the Sun's regular minis on the forward pool deck are probably the nicest minis in the NCL fleet. The bathroom is really big with a full size tub, separate dressing area and big walk in closet. The actual balcony is a nice size, and the room is very nice. If the aft minis are the same, well.........

Great move on your part - $200 extra for the stern mini suite is a killer deal. Pictures speak louder than words so

here is youtube video of stern balcony 8079

and here is youtube video of stern mini suite 8078

We love the Sun, have a wonderful cruise.

First time on NCL and to Alaska. Originally booked aft balcony 9277 for may 25th 2015 but our sons graduation caused us to reschedule to Jun 8th instead. Pricing increases a good bit...$500 more than we were paying for the may 25th sailing for hubby and I in an aft balcony. The aft mini was available for another $200 more total so I booked that (9278). Im doubting my decision and wonder if this is a worthy upgrade paying $200 more than sticking with the aft balcony ? Any thoughts from experienced NCL cruisers and comparisons in the two cabin types verses the added cost would be helpful. We chose deck 9 due to reading its likely more quiet and an aft for the none windy views in Alaska....although I should note we have never sailed in the aft before and instead usually book mid ship balcony for less motion. Thanks for any advice or thoughts from those that know more than we do!

We were in the aft penthouse on the corner of deck 9. It is a great deck.

For a mere $200 total to go to an aft facing mini? I think you got a slamming deal! Just compare the size of the mini to the balcony cabin and deck size on the deck 9 deck plan. The mini is about twice the size. You will love that big balcony for Alaska. The views are awesome. Usually, the minis on most ships are not much larger than the balcony cabin sizes.

On our Alaska Sun, we had a fellow cruiser who had done the back to back Pacific Coastal in the mini, and then switched to the balcony for the Alaska leg. Boy were they lamenting the fact that they did not have the mini for both portions. The Sun minis are some of the biggest in the fleet.

FYI, we also sailed in May, and there were big price drops after final. Many on our roll call upgraded themselves by calling NCL and asking what was possible. We upgraded first from the aft facing balcony to the mini, and then when prices fell even more, for a total of $180 we upgraded to the corner Penthouse on 9. Not a guarantee, but May is early in the season, so keep an eye on prices.

Thanks everyone, it sounds like I can feel good about our new cabin choice. I was just doubtful being new to NCL, new to the AFT cabin location, and new to the Alaska experience, I was doubting it all! lol

Sailing the end of May certainly had the best fares but alas my sons graduation trumped that date so we will deal with having to pay more for the June sailing instead. At least I can feel good about scoring the aft mini despite the overall price hike! lol :)

We have stayed in that cabin, 3 sections of glass for amazing views, balcony very spacious, much bigger than reg. balcony next door, lots of storage, it was our first aft, we had always stayed in mid ship cabins, it was as wonderful as people claim it to be, you will not be disappointed!

I second what everyone is telling you. We were in your original balcony for our 'round the horn trip and loved the location and the cabin, but for an additonal 200 bucks getting the much larger room and huge balcony would have been a no-brainer for me. The stern balconies on Sun are our preferred stateroom on her IF (and only if!) the two bow facing balconies are already sold out. That being said, I would choose the stern mini over the bow balcony if all things else were equal ( or within $200 bucks:rolleyes:)

Have a great cruise!

I'll 3rd, 4th & 5th everyone who says to stay with the aft mini. We were in 9077 last May and the configuration was such that there were several corners that were hard to maneuver around and the shower was a teeny tiny round one. I kept bumping the walls and the shower curtain when I was shampooing and rinsing off. The minis are really great: not that much bigger, but a lovely bathroom and dressing area. If I had known, I would have been in a mini.

You got a REAL DEAL! The minis on the Sun are larger than other minis in NCL's fleet, and those on the stern of the ship are particularly nice. We've sailed in 0067, right above the one you'll be in, and we absolutely loved it. There is so much storage in the dressing room, and you have a very nice vanity area as well. And, no sticking shower curtain! Believe me, you'll be very happy you spent the extra $200. Have fun.

If you want my opinion, save yourself THOUSANDS of dollars and book an inside and see Alaska from the pool deck or the Great Outdoors area. I paid $1268 per person (14 night) for an inside on deck 10 (one deck below the pool deck) and the cheapest balcony at the time was $2968 per person (both have gone up a bit since I booked. DW and I are travelling for less than the price on 1 person in a balcony leaving plenty of money for excursions and getting to the port and back.

If you want my opinion, save yourself THOUSANDS of dollars and book an inside and see Alaska from the pool deck or the Great Outdoors area. I paid $1268 per person (14 night) for an inside on deck 10 (one deck below the pool deck) and the cheapest balcony at the time was $2968 per person (both have gone up a bit since I booked. DW and I are travelling for less than the price on 1 person in a balcony leaving plenty of money for excursions and getting to the port and back.

While this would definitely save us money and is a great option for some, we enjoy spending alot of time on our balcony. My dh would never consider an inside due to his claustrophobia. We did an ocean view once which was fine but after having our own private balcony we feel its a luxury worth paying for to get the most out of our cruise experience. Im looking forward to all of the amazing views we will enjoy from our balcony and so excited about everyones positive words about the mini we will have :)

Ditto the Sun's aft mini suites on deck 9. We had one and our friends had the one nextdoor. One of our favorite cruises ever, especially for Alaska. Being on the aft provides views of both sides of the ship... superb for Alaska. I encourage everyone now for Alaska to choose your cruise based on your cabin location - not the ship. Have swayed some to try NCL because of that whereas they were originally looking at a regular port or starboard balcony for the same price as an aft mini on NCL for their week.

We were in the aft penthouse on the corner of deck 9. It is a great deck.

For a mere $200 total to go to an aft facing mini? I think you got a slamming deal! Just compare the size of the mini to the balcony cabin and deck size on the deck 9 deck plan. The mini is about twice the size. You will love that big balcony for Alaska. The views are awesome. Usually, the minis on most ships are not much larger than the balcony cabin sizes.

On our Alaska Sun, we had a fellow cruiser who had done the back to back Pacific Coastal in the mini, and then switched to the balcony for the Alaska leg. Boy were they lamenting the fact that they did not have the mini for both portions. The Sun minis are some of the biggest in the fleet.

FYI, we also sailed in May, and there were big price drops after final. Many on our roll call upgraded themselves by calling NCL and asking what was possible. We upgraded first from the aft facing balcony to the mini, and then when prices fell even more, for a total of $180 we upgraded to the corner Penthouse on 9. Not a guarantee, but May is early in the season, so keep an eye on prices.

I'm Brenda's neighbor who had an aft mini followed by an aft balcony. (Hi, Brenda!) She's right. We whined and moaned after moving into the regular aft balcony. I missed the amazing mini bathroom most of all.

Note: If you can get an aft mini on deck 10, get it. The deck 9 mini had some tight spots where we had to squeeze past furniture. Our deck 10 mini this year didn't have that problem.

Whichever aft mini you get, you will think you have died and gone to heaven!