Enhanced Drivers License

TardisDance

Has anyone ever had problems using an enhanced drivers license (EDL) with Norwegian? I'm new to cruising on will be going on my first trip with the Gem on 9/13. When I did the online check-in, I ended up calling Norwegian because they didn't have an EDL option which I thought was weird. The rep told me to enter it as a passport. We're going to Canada and New England, so I can drive back if I get stuck. This cruise departs from NY and I'm using a NYS EDL. I just really don't want to carry birth certicates if I don't have to. Just another thing to potentially lose...

Has anyone ever had problems using an enhanced drivers license (EDL) with Norwegian? I'm new to cruising on will be going on my first trip with the Gem on 9/13. When I did the online check-in, I ended up calling Norwegian because they didn't have an EDL option which I thought was weird. The rep told me to enter it as a passport. We're going to Canada and New England, so I can drive back if I get stuck. This cruise departs from NY and I'm using a NYS EDL. I just really don't want to carry birth certicates if I don't have to. Just another thing to potentially lose...

This is a quote from NCL's web site: "For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document."

And here's a quote from U.S. Customs & Border Patrol: "WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License."

Here's a link to the complete page.

Edited by azappraiser

So, it looks like the OP will be okay.

I would also bet good money that they will get other answers depending on who they ask.

I would print out the above links in case you run into "power driven ego's" in the boarding process. That should be the ONLY time you run into any issue.

I feel your pain OP. I called NCL prior to doing the online checkin with the same question and was told to select birth certificate because I would need to bring one anyway even with an EDL:eek::confused:. I did select that option but left the birth cert at home. Had no problem whatsoever.

I always like to err on the side of caution...

Along with your EDL, I would bring your birth certificate just because I would not want there to be any mix up possible with identification or citizenship or anything else that would prevent me from getting on or off the ship... It's not a big deal and you have peace of mind that there is no way you're getting left on the pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

(The above is also a standard argument for getting a passport. It's painless except to the wallet initially and is the best form of ID and very easy to carry.)

I always like to err on the side of caution...

Along with your EDL, I would bring your birth certificate just because I would not want there to be any mix up possible with identification or citizenship or anything else that would prevent me from getting on or off the ship... It's not a big deal and you have peace of mind that there is no way you're getting left on the pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

(The above is also a standard argument for getting a passport. It's painless except to the wallet initially and is the best form of ID and very easy to carry.)

I went through this decision making process myself before going on the Gem in May. Came down to this- I could take the birth cert with me, but if I lost the EDL the birth cert would be worthless because I only have one government issued photo ID. So, having my birth cert with me would do nothing for me. (And then the other issue was if I bring my birth cert do I bring DW's naturalization certificate and that was the main reason that we got EDL's to begin with, so we wouldn't have to carry her certificate.) As smeyer said, the port personnel are well trained and are used to seeing EDL's. As long as it hasn't expired it will be accepted for a cruise in the Western Hemisphere.

Edited by sparks1093

My husband and I have cruised with an EDL with three cruise lines: Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean. For each cruise before embarkation, we were asked for our birth certificates in addition to our EDL's. We had them with us, so I don't know if we would have been allowed to board without them. However, once we were on board the ship, we never needed them again to go ashore to ports. We used our EDL's and ship ID cards to re-board at each port. These were for round-trip cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. only, of course.

I wouldn't risk going to your departure port without your birth certificates. You wouldn't want to be denied boarding because you left them at home. :eek:

I went through this decision making process myself before going on the Gem in May. Came down to this- I could take the birth cert with me, but if I lost the EDL the birth cert would be worthless because I only have one government issued photo ID. So, having my birth cert with me would do nothing for me. (And then the other issue was if I bring my birth cert do I bring DW's naturalization certificate and that was the main reason that we got EDL's to begin with, so we wouldn't have to carry her certificate.) As smeyer said, the port personnel are well trained and are used to seeing EDL's. As long as it hasn't expired it will be accepted for a cruise in the Western Hemisphere.

I am taking a cruise in late August, and my EDL expires in late October. Is that too close to the expiration date? Should I renew my license before I leave for my trip? I'm wondering if anyone knows because I seem to remember that passports are supposed to be renewed some time before their expiration date.

I am taking a cruise in late August, and my EDL expires in late October. Is that too close to the expiration date? Should I renew my license before I leave for my trip? I'm wondering if anyone knows because I seem to remember that passports are supposed to be renewed some time before their expiration date.

Your license is good up until the day it expires and I have seen nothing that would suggest otherwise. Some countries do require a certain amount of time to be remaining on a passport when you visit, but you need a passport to visit those countries:). There is no country that I am aware of in the Western Hemisphere that requires a certain time to be remaining.

My husband and I have cruised with an EDL with three cruise lines: Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean. For each cruise before embarkation, we were asked for our birth certificates in addition to our EDL's. We had them with us, so I don't know if we would have been allowed to board without them. However, once we were on board the ship, we never needed them again to go ashore to ports. We used our EDL's and ship ID cards to re-board at each port. These were for round-trip cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. only, of course.

I wouldn't risk going to your departure port without your birth certificates. You wouldn't want to be denied boarding because you left them at home. :eek:

Just to verify you have an EDL (it has an American flag on the front and Enhanced Drivers License). Reason that I ask is because many people mistakenly believe that the license they get under the REAL ID law is an enhanced license because they have to show their birth certificate in order to obtain it.

If you do have an EDL then they would have no valid reason to deny you boarding because you didn't present a birth certificate.

Just to verify you have an EDL (it has an American flag on the front and Enhanced Drivers License). Reason that I ask is because many people mistakenly believe that the license they get under the REAL ID law is an enhanced license because they have to show their birth certificate in order to obtain it.

If you do have an EDL then they would have no valid reason to deny you boarding because you didn't present a birth certificate.

Yes, it is definitely an Enhanced Drivers License. It has an American flag on the lower front corner and says Enhanced across a red strip on the front of the license. I had to pay extra for it and provide additional identification, including my birth certificate to receive it. The last time I cruised I was surprised we were asked for our birth certificates because the cruiseline's own guidelines said the EDL was the only identification needed for boarding. We have boarded in New York, New Jersey, and Boston and have been asked for our birth certificates each time in addition to our EDL's. I always bring them with us now.

Having "no valid reason" doesn't always mean it will always work in your favor... Seems like it can be better to be safe than sorry... Doesn't hurt anyway.

If they don't have a valid reason to deny boarding, why would they? Even if the person at the counter is inexperienced they do have a group of supervisors available. I got the EDL so I wouldn't have to bring my birth cert (actually, no, I got it so we wouldn't have to bring DW's naturalization certificate, which would cost $400 or so to replace). Everyone has a different comfort level and mine is fine with just bringing the EDL.

Edited by sparks1093

Yes, it is definitely an Enhanced Drivers License. It has an American flag on the lower front corner and says Enhanced across a red strip on the front of the license. I had to pay extra for it and provide additional identification, including my birth certificate to receive it. The last time I cruised I was surprised we were asked for our birth certificates because the cruiseline's own guidelines said the EDL was the only identification needed for boarding. We have boarded in New York, New Jersey, and Boston and have been asked for our birth certificates each time in addition to our EDL's. I always bring them with us now.

A lot of times people working check in counters get in the habit of asking for things and when handed a DL their automatic response is to ask for the BC. They didn't ask me in NY, I do know that.

I recently completed the Online Check-in for an upcoming cruise on NCL, and there is a section titled, "Proof of Citizenship." There are four choices: Passport, State-issued Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, and Report of Birth Abroad. I selected State-issued Birth Certificate.

Above those choices this warning is posted:

Proper documentation is the responsibility of the guest. Failure to present proper documentation will result in denial of boarding with no refund offered.

In addition to your proof of citizenship document, proof of identity must also be presented on embarkation day for all guests 16 years of age or older (i.e., valid driver's license that includes a photograph, or government identification card, that includes a physical description).

For up to date immigration information please visit: http://www.getyouhome.gov

There is no mention of the EDL in the Online Check-in. I know the birth certificate is available on the EDL through the barcode on the back of the license, but the NCL Online Check-in process does not make it clear at all that it will be accepted via the EDL.

Edit: I see the OP mentions the lack of an EDL option in the Online Check-in. I thought it was strange, as well. Other cruise lines do list it as an option. I don't feel comfortable selecting the passport option as the OP's rep recommended, so we will take our birth certificates.

Edited by jenesaisquoi

Based on responses, I wonder why I even bothered to pay the extra money for the EDL if port officials seem to have a problem accepting them. I've used it before driving up to Canada with zero problems.

The NCL rep I spoke to assured me that all I needed to bring is the EDL. My travel agent said I should take a birth certificate. Now I feel like I need to. Too much conflicting information.

If I wasn't so close to the cruise date, I would apply for a passport. I'm certainly not going to renew my EDL when it's time.

Based on responses, I wonder why I even bothered to pay the extra money for the EDL if port officials seem to have a problem accepting them. ..

Sorry, but nowhere have I read that port officials have a problem accepting this. I have read where part time counter people still asked for a birth certificate. And, in their defense, only a few states have the EDL and these folks are in the habit of asking. I would GUESS that most will say "okay" once you point out it is a EDL and if not a supervisor would educate them.

Sorry, but nowhere have I read that port officials have a problem accepting this. I have read where part time counter people still asked for a birth certificate. And, in their defense, only a few states have the EDL and these folks are in the habit of asking. I would GUESS that most will say "okay" once you point out it is a EDL and if not a supervisor would educate them.

Since it's my very first cruise, I don't who's who when presenting proof of citizenship. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to present WHTI print outs or ask for a supervisor. Counter people should at least be familiar with EDL's since my departure port is NYC and NYS offers EDL's. Just my two cents.

Since it's my very first cruise, I don't who's who when presenting proof of citizenship. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to present WHTI print outs or ask for a supervisor. Counter people should at least be familiar with EDL's since my departure port is NYC and NYS offers EDL's. Just my two cents.

They are trained and NY has an EDL as you point out. That being said, they don't know every permutation of what is allowed and sometimes you do need to speak with a supervisor.

Not all of the -50- states have the EDL - it was designed to facilitate ease of

border crossings at states that are adjacent to Mexico and Canada - so cruises

that are closed loop (beginning and ending in the USA) should not be a problem.

BUT however caution on getting off a ship in countries other than Mexico and

Canada - your documentation may leave you stranded if as one poster put it

A Official was on a "POWER TRIP" and having a bad day with the public in general.

Do for certain check out this thoroughly !!!

A Passport while getting it is a PAIN (the first time - and don't let it expire beyond

10 years) is I think about $140 and good for 10 years and needed for some

countries to issue a VISA.

Check it out to find what is the best way to travel with the least inconvenience !

You don't need inconvenience to stall and thwart a vacation costing big bucks !