One more question...

ItalianGuest

Is it possible the discrepancy in dress codes being discussed here is the result of the language being used?

My understanding of the code is that there is in the evening; formal, or informal, and during the day; casual, with blue jeans specifically being noted as unacceptable after 6pm.

Would it seem likely that for some reason the casual code was extended into the evening for some reason?

Hi sarafinadh,

My understanding is that on certain cruises, in VERY hot temperatures, the evening dress code is relaxed to allow "casual" (no jacket for men). This is very rare (as far as I know) and the decision is made on board "as and when".

At least, that is what I was told by friends who were on board QE (I think) on one evening when this happened.

Edited by pepperrn

Is it possible the discrepancy in dress codes being discussed here is the result of the language being used?

My understanding of the code is that there is in the evening; formal, or informal, and during the day; casual, with blue jeans specifically being noted as unacceptable after 6pm.

Would it seem likely that for some reason the casual code was extended into the evening for some reason?

And I am happy to have contributed a succinct version of dealing with the dress code. Sometimes I just can't bite my tongue ; -)

No language problem.

Evening dress code, casual.

Pepperrn is right. I have only come across this once, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The change was noted at lunch time when the dress code board was changed to 'Casual'.

Circumstances meant we arrived in port late afternoon instead of the following morning. Tours were hurriedly arranged and shuttle buses laid on.

I suppose the casual code was easier for those who wished to go ashore after dinner.

I would say the standard of dress was 'elegantly' casual, many men still keeping to the jacket code but some taking them off as they sat down to dine.

I couldn't see anyone who had 'let the side down'.

This seems to me that the one who has asked the question doesn't really like the answers.

Hello!

Oh, no, I've really appreciate the answers.

Now we know that on Cunard people should be dressed according to the strict old-fashioned formal dress-code.

And since sometimes (at least in Italy) what is written on documents, not always reflect the reality, now we're sure that Cunard's guests really enjoy and respect the dress code proposed by the Line.

And we will do the same, even if It is not our favourite dress-code.

Indeed if I've decided to cruise with Cunard, It is just because I love the elegant and relaxed atmosphere that the Line is able propose, probably also thanks to the dress-code!

Regards,

ItalianGuest

(Sorry for my English!:o)

I would personally stop allowing peasant class passengers to board the boat in the first place and then we may see the quality of the shows/food/shops improve

Excuse me........who are you calling a peasant? You sail Cunard one time and you want to improve the passengers, shows, food, and shops. Wouldn't it just be easier to sail on peasant proof ships?

Hi sarafinadh,

My understanding is that on certain cruises, in VERY hot temperatures, the evening dress code is relaxed to allow "casual" (no jacket for men). This is very rare (as far as I know) and the decision is made on board "as and when".

At least, that is what I was told by friends who were on board QE (I think) on one evening when this happened.

Yes, I have read reports from passengers where the dress code was "casual - no jacket required" for men in the evening. If my memory servers me correctly, the "casual" dress code occurred more than once on QM2 Australia cruises in the recent past. There a discussion somewhere on this forum about there being three dress code categories rather than just the two (Formal and Informal).

I'm not certain "casual" dress code in the evening relates to VERY hot temperatures when the ships air conditioning is functioning (and it most often functions quite well). Just my guess, but it more to do with what might appeal to the majority of passengers on any particular voyage. A trial balloon, so to speak. -S.

As a data point I've done the Panama Canal on QV and there were no "causal" nights on that trip. All of the sea days between Mexico and the Canal were semi-formal and the port days were elegant casual (this was in 2011). The day after the canal transit was a Formal night.

Edited by Underwatr

I'm not certain "casual" dress code in the evening relates to VERY hot temperatures when the ships air conditioning is functioning (and it most often functions quite well). Just my guess, but it more to do with what might appeal to the majority of passengers on any particular voyage. A trial balloon, so to speak. -S.

I would go beyond that and say what might appeal to the majority of the passengers in a particular situation i.e. unexpected late afternoon arrival in a very hot climate thus enabling passengers an unscheduled evening ashore, rather than any particular voyage.

I don't see it as a regular occurrence, at least I hope it won't be, but it was a very welcome change for a night.:)

I would go beyond that and say what might appeal to the majority of the passengers in a particular situation i.e. unexpected late afternoon arrival in a very hot climate thus enabling passengers an unscheduled evening ashore, rather than any particular voyage.

I don't see it as a regular occurrence, at least I hope it won't be, but it was a very welcome change for a night.:)

Would have been better if you had explained the circumstances in the first place.

This was a one off. Cunard dress code has not been changed.

David.

Would have been better if you had explained the circumstances in the first place.

This was a one off. Cunard dress code has not been changed.

David.

Why? I don't recall saying the dress code had changed. After I had said 'he ditched his jacket on the casual night' and mentioned how great he looked, you came back with the comment 'In breach of the regulations then. Good on him.'

Your sardonic incorrect post needed a reply. With the correct information. Which I gave, succinctly.

Your mockery did not make me want to explain further I'm afraid.

As for it being a one off, apparently others have heard of similar 'one off's', so I'm sure it will happen again and I would welcome it, under the correct circumstances on a long cruise.

The whole dress code thing is never enforced and I meet a number of people who had no interest in getting dressed up.

The buffet area will be full of people wearing jeans, tshirts etc and with regards to shows etc nobody seems to care what you are wearing.

You may get the odd idiot who wants to s****** or give you a growl because you are not wearing formal gear but the vast majority are cool :)

Yes, thank you Onslow for you input!

Your sardonic incorrect post needed a reply. With the correct information. Which I gave, succinctly.

But insufficiently. You knew the casual night was an unusual departure from the dress code and must have known you would cause confusion, which you achieved.

David.

Well well, this has been a vintage dress code thread such as we have not seen around these parts for quite some time - bitterness, acrimony, insults and napalm. What more could we ask. And now I see we have a clotted cream thread simmering away nicely and waiting to explode.

Quick someone - start a thread on tipping, and one on smoking and we will have a full house :cool:

J

But insufficiently. You knew the casual night was an unusual departure from the dress code and must have known you would cause confusion, which you achieved.

David.

I made a throw away comment and you picked it up with an unnecessary [and incorrect] smart ass reply. I was replying to your post. No more, no less. You got confused? Well if you answer a post in a pleasant, enquiring way, you'll get a pleasant reply/explanation in return. Try and be smart and you'll get very little back as it can get people's back up, as it did mine.

I am a mere novice on Cunard compared to many wonderful members but I do have some experience and can hopefully offer some help. Jumping on posts because they seem hard to credit does no one any favours and can limit communication.

Others managed to post rational comments to which I added my thoughts for the change of dress code that evening. Personal thoughts which are not necessarily the actual reasons behind the decision.

Casual night= no jacket. How many casual nights have their been on Cunard as a line? Don't know but it was a first on Victoria. Will there be any more? Probably but hopefully, very infrequently.

I have answered you firmly but reasonably under the circumstances. I won't be replying to your next attempt at 'pulling me up/putting me down'.

Well well, this has been a vintage dress code thread such as we have not seen around these parts for quite some time - bitterness, acrimony, insults and napalm. What more could we ask. And now I see we have a clotted cream thread simmering away nicely and waiting to explode.

Quick someone - start a thread on tipping, and one on smoking and we will have a full house :cool:

J

Perhaps we could combine them all together in one big fun thread.

David.

I still have the large brochure on all the cruises available in 2005. They did list a "casual" night where men needed just nice pants & dress shirt with tie(or sweater)optional.
In June, 2006, "casual" was still "no jacket, no tie"; but in January, 2008, "Elegant Casual" was "jacket, tie optional".

Obviously a fabrication. Everyone knows it takes three days to sail from New York to St. Maarten! ;)
Leave NYC Friday June 11, 2004, arrive St Maarten Monday June 14, 2004. That was three days; but, of course, they were 2004 days which cost less per barrel than now.