A few points and observations about HAL’s wine policy. Yes again!

We love to cruise and had only cruised Princess prior to our one HAL cruise. We were shocked by the prices of their wines. It forced us to bring our own on board and happily pay corkage fee.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We traditionally cruise Princess and Celebrity and agree totally with you the the prices that HAL charges for their measly choices of wine is crazy. :eek: I really cannot for the life of me understand why they would offer less for so much more $$ than the other two lines, which are basically their closest competition.

We don't ever feel the need to carry anything on and pay a corkage on other lines. The vairety and pricing of wine elsewhere is good enough. Only for HAL cruises does carry on...no matter how much of a pain in the butt it is, become a consideration for us.

HAL is actually less restrictive than RCI. They will only allow two bottles per cabin on embarkation. If you bring wine on board from a port it will be taken away until the end of the cruise. No option to keep it and pay corkage.

But look at their wine menu. Compare it or any other line to HAL's and you will see a difference.

I would be willing to pay appropriate corkage, that's why I don't understand the rule. As has been said by the rule followers...them's the rules put up quietly or go elsewhere.

It's not a huge deal but one that doesn't make sense to me and when it does doesn't make sense I say so, even if I choose to follow the rules.

After all we have a history of questioning, didn't a bunch of non-rule followers pollute Boston harbor with a spot of tea?

Boston Harbor aside....... :)

I'm confused by your comment you would be willing to pay appropriate corkage.

HAL permits us to bring whatever wine we want but limits the amount we can bring without paying corkage. If you are willing to pay, then what is the issue? :confused:

I would like a boxed wine that seals and keeps better than an open bottle.

For the better boxed wine the bladder pushes the air out and it keeps the wine fresher. I could bring one box for the entire cruise instead of lugging four bottles. I know that you never would bring wine but there are a few that I like that I would like to have, not that I must have but just would like. Just like DH brings MT Dew (now we really sound like riff-raff, but you wouldn't know when we clean up in public) because HAL doesn't have Pepsi products.

Edited by mountainmare

Would HAL really want to lose this type of customer? Maybe, maybe not.
If I were running HAL - or any business - I would not welcome back customers who flaunt my rules. I know big spenders can often buy special treatment, but you sound like you don't fit that description.

The thing is, if you are looking it at it from finances, if you have the $18 corkage on your say $12 bottle of wine that is $30 and likely still cheaper than what HAL charges.

?

You have it perfectly and I have said it repeatedly on several wine posts - consider the numbers. You need to know what the wine costs you on land, the corkage fee, and the cost of the same or equivalent wine on the ship. Paying $18 corkage on a bottle of 2 buck chuck never makes sense unless you are addicted to 2 buck chuck. Paying $18 corkage on a bottle of $100 wine which will cost you $300 on the ship always makes sense.

Do the math. There are never any single answers.

DON

Do the math. There are never any single answers.

DON

Which still doesn't explain why the same bottle of wine costs $28-30 on Celebrity/ Princess and HAL charges $42. So.. you want your favorite (store) $12 bottle of reisling. You buy it, carry it on, pay corkage and now you have spent $30. On Princess...cost matches. On HAL they tack on another $12 if you buy direct onboard from them. Go figure????

So...no matter what the corkage/wine policy on HAL states, the fact that they so overcharge compared to other comparable lines surely gets tough to swallow...with or without corkage.:rolleyes:

I am not comparing costs to stores. Everyone gets that. I am comparing to HAL's competition.

Wouldn't you think with the new policy change they would have added bottles/glasses to their menu and adjusted pricing so more people would be "okay" with the change?

Edited by eandj

I am not comparing costs to stores. Everyone gets that. I am comparing to HAL's competition.

That's a very valid comparison. It makes much more sense than the ship versus retail one.

Just a different viewpoint, the wines we bring on board are not offered on HAL.

If I am going to schlep something it will be wines I can't get there or here at home.

And we do schlep:D

Edited by kazu

If I am going to schlep something it will be wines I can't get there or here at home.

Agreed. Last year we brought aboard three very special bottles of wine. We still talk about them now, they greatly added to our enjoyment of the cruise.

Agreed. Last year we brought aboard three very special bottles of wine. We still talk about them now, they greatly added to our enjoyment of the cruise.

Ohhh, please share with us.

What were those special wines?

I'm with you Kazu! DH and I enjoy wine with dinner and in almost all instances the wine we bring on board is not found on the HAL wine list. For us it's worth the money and the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry but I'm a bit behind in the wine policy. Can we still bring wine onboard or has that changed as of this year?

One bottle pp after that corkage fee
...and that one corkage-free bottle pp can only be brought on at embarkation. Any brought on at ports cost $18 corkage ... unless you just want the ship to hold it for you until cruise-end.

Of course there are exceptions I suspect. In many of the GWV blogs the implication is that there is a don't ask don't tell policy for bringing beverages aboard (like a special local rum etc) and I would not be surprised that on extended special Grand Voyages the same will apply to the wine policy.

This does fly in the face of those who say=well the rules are the rules and we would never think of breaking them. I have always said, the rules are the rules but differ depending on who decides what the rules are at the moment.

...and that one corkage-free bottle pp can only be brought on at embarkation. Any brought on at ports cost $18 corkage ... unless you just want the ship to hold it for you until cruise-end.

So this is the new policy? How and where does one pay the corkage fee if bringing more than one bottle of wine onboard?

Well I guess I am just a rule follower...if a cruise line, airline, train, bus, etc. Has rules posted I assume they are enacted for a good reason and that is enough for me. Whomever the governing body is has a right to change the rules.

Also, I find it a tad far-fetched to believe that you say that you: 1) can afford to cruise. 2) can afford a balcony cabin (when, BTW, many who cruise stay in inside or outside window cabins).,,but can not afford to buy wine on board? I must be missing something?

Why would you find what I say to be far-fetched? I find that quite rude.

However, to answer your question, yes, you are missing something. We would simply not cruise if we did not have a balcony. We would never book an inside or oceanview regardless of being able to bring wine aboard or not. My issue is that we can't usually afford the cost of HAL's wine AND a cruise fare. Quite simple.

I think people are largely forgetting that I simply asked for people's experiences of doing what I plan to do. I'm sure I'm not the only one by a long way.

Edited by richardukcruise

To cut to the chase, we would simply not cruise if we did not have a balcony. We would never book and inside or oceanview regardless of being able to bring wine aboard or not. My issue is that we can't usually afford the cost of HAL's wine AND a cruise fare. Quite simple.

I think people are largely forgetting that I simply asked for people's experiences of doing what I plan to do. Instead it's the all too ften usual barrage for the most part.

Interesting how people make their individual choices. We are quite happy to book an oceanview, and spend the we money saved to fund experiences on shore. Or to buy whatever it is that we want both on the ship and on shore.

As for your wanting to dodge the corkage fee, I too am a rule-follower, so can't help you on that. :)

However, to answer your question, yes, you are missing something. We would simply not cruise if we did not have a balcony. We would never book an inside or oceanview regardless of being able to bring wine aboard or not. My issue is that we can't usually afford the cost of HAL's wine AND a cruise fare. Quite simple.

I think people are largely forgetting that I simply asked for people's experiences of doing what I plan to do. I'm sure I'm not the only one by a long way.

I believe someone did point out what happens on one cruise might not happen on another. When I got on the Westy in April no one checked my carry on for wine. I had one bottle because I do follow rules. I don't bend them and make excuses why it's ok for me to do something. If you want to try it then do it. Let the chips fall where they may.

Of course there are exceptions I suspect. In many of the GWV blogs the implication is that there is a don't ask don't tell policy for bringing beverages aboard (like a special local rum etc) and I would not be surprised that on extended special Grand Voyages the same will apply to the wine policy.

This does fly in the face of those who say=well the rules are the rules and we would never think of breaking them. I have always said, the rules are the rules but differ depending on who decides what the rules are at the moment.

The rules are the rules. Those that bend them can rationalize it any way they want. Maybe they have different rules for world cruises or grand voyages. Why is that a problem? Those folks likely pay a boat load of money.

A grand voyage or a World Voyage is a whole different kettle of fish than a standard cruise. If they get a break they deserve it IMO. We only do 30 day cruises and don't expect one.

So this is the new policy? How and where does one pay the corkage fee if bringing more than one bottle of wine onboard?

You are charged after you go through security. They just have you sign your name to the slip. Easy peasy.

Agree that wine prices are cheaper on Princess. That said, their drink prices are higher than Hal's. You pay one way or another.

As far as the OP goes I just don't understand why people would sneak wine on. I also don't understand why people cheat with an internet package sharing ii with several people. In my mind one is as bad as the other. I'm not talking about couples sharing but I have seen people saying that they share internet packages with others. I wonder how that is different. Just to clarify I'm talking about unlimited internet.

I disagree. If I've paid for the time, it's mine to do as I please with it, including giving it to my friends. I see it as no different than buying a bottle of wine and sharing it with the table.

You say it's OK for couples. How about your children? How about your parents? How about your DB/DSiL? How about their kids? What is the cutoff point? I say there is no cut off point.

Now if I had gotten a discount on the internet time for being 3* and sold time to someone who didn't qualify for the discount, then I would call it cheating.

If only one person can sign on at a time, I'd have no problem with sharing, as the group couldn't use more time than the individual. However, if it's possible for several people to sign on simultaneously, they'd potentially be using more time than the individual ever could alone and would be cheating in my view.

Rather than the wine, a better comparison might be paying for a single buffet dinner for yourself, then feeding your whole family and a few friends who you brought along.