Signature Bev Package - new rules

Vineyard View

My money is on the fact that the promo includes the Signature Beverage Package and not the Bizarro Beverage Package that has the same name as the SBP but functions in an oddly different manner. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

And I'll be the second to admit I'm wrong. I got my SBP through the last Explore4 promo and it worked exactly like we've explained it previously.

There have been other reports, for the first Explore4 promo that some HAL shore staff were telling people that there was a $50 max per day. It wasn't true then and I really doubt it's true this time around.

Even if it were true, we still come back to who would spend $51+ to purchase drinks to a maximum of $50?

Please go back and read my post #10. The value to HAL is the cost of the package which is ~$50/day. That is the price that HAL would charge for the package if one was to purchase it.

The value to you may be $120/day, should you be able to manage 15 $7 drinks in each and every day. The value to someone drinking 15 cans of pop/soda would be $33.60/day. The value is different for each individual depending on what beverages they consume.

HAL puts the maximum of 15 drinks on the card because there would be a few who would abuse it. And, they know that most passengers probably can't handle as many as 15 alcoholic beverages in a day. I certainly can't. But I looked at the package as a way to get my two alcoholic drinks and one or two pops, per day, for FREE since I received the package under the Explore4.

I called Holland America Guest Services three times and not once did they state a $50 maximum. They said and I quote "15 drinks a day of any kind up to a value of $7".

And I'll be the second to admit I'm wrong. I got my SBP through the last Explore4 promo and it worked exactly like we've explained it previously.

There have been other reports, for the first Explore4 promo that some HAL shore staff were telling people that there was a $50 max per day. It wasn't true then and I really doubt it's true this time around.

Even if it were true, we still come back to who would spend $51+ to purchase drinks to a maximum of $50?

Several of us are asking the same thing. How many versions of the SBP can HAL have? 15 drinks/day max if you purchase the SBP, but $50/day max if we give it to you for a promotion. :confused: :confused: :confused:

We had explore4 on our cruise earlier this year, worked like the majority described, never hit the 15 drinks but certainly our costs would have went well over $50 pp/day on some days ($6.95 a drink adds up fast!).

We have explore4 again next year and everything I have received in writing from TA and HAL supports $50 'value' not $50 'limit'. I will be complaining if I am limited to $50 worth of charges.

As I recall, the PREVIOUS Explore 4 promo offered a $50 beverage card on Caribbean cruises, but all other cruises got the Signature Beverage Package.

My TA pointed out that THE CURRENT Explore 4 promo now offers the SBP on all cruises.

People keep confusing the term "value" with limit.

Think about HAL's soda card. It costs $25 but gives the purchaser up to $50 worth of soda.

So its "value" is $25 (if you were to purchase it) but its "limit" is $50 (or the number of sodas one can purchase to reach the $50 ceiling)

HAL is saying its SBP had a "value" of $50 (if one were to purchase it) and a "limit" of 15 drinks. They don't set a dollar limit, because one person could purchase 15 bottles of water and reach his limit, while another could purchase 15 bottles of beer and reach her limit. The limit is not a dollar amount, but a drink amount.

As I recall, the PREVIOUS Explore 4 promo offered a $50 beverage card on Caribbean cruises, but all other cruises got the Signature Beverage Package.

My TA pointed out that THE CURRENT Explore 4 promo now offers the SBP on all cruises.

People keep confusing the term "value" with limit.

Think about HAL's soda card. It costs $25 but gives the purchaser up to $50 worth of soda.

So its "value" is $25 (if you were to purchase it) but its "limit" is $50 (or the number of sodas one can purchase to reach the $50 ceiling)

HAL is saying its SBP had a "value" of $50 (if one were to purchase it) and a "limit" of 15 drinks. They don't set a dollar limit, because one person could purchase 15 bottles of water and reach his limit, while another could purchase 15 bottles of beer and reach her limit. The limit is not a dollar amount, but a drink amount.

Extremely understandable response. Thank you.

Was the card from the President's Day Sale promotion?

The Above and Beyond promotion. One thing I've noticed, you don't have to sign for your drink, and you don't get a receipt.

The Rotterdam is in fine shape, happy crew and excellent food in the MDR.

on my first HAL cruise in December the promotion included a $50 beverage card each Is this a different animal and is only worth $50 each for the whole 14 days?

Close relative.

Some of the itineraries which had the Signature Beverage Package were limited to one $50 beverage card per person.

The new promo doesn't have that option, but it has also removed inside cabins from the offer.

We signed up with explorer 4 last year. When we got on board they said because there was a price drop we lost it. We told them they NEVER mentioned that we would lose the explore 4 option. Don't they have to tell you that and give you the choice?

We signed up with explorer 4 last year. When we got on board they said because there was a price drop we lost it. We told them they NEVER mentioned that we would lose the explore 4 option. Don't they have to tell you that and give you the choice?

Nana - Did you indeed get a price drop before your cruise started? If so, then a lot of posters do report they lost the E4, but were happy with a lower cruise price. Perhaps your TA forgot to mention it ... or didn't understand what you were losing?

The new promotion which includes the Signature Beverage Package states that you can have up to 15 drinks per day, $7 max per drink, $50 per day maximum whichever comes first.

The Signature Beverage Package during Presidents' Day Sale in the Above and Beyond promotion had the Signature Drink Package with 15 drinks per day, max $7 per drink, but without the $50 max per day. (All per person) It was clearly spelled out on their website.

Did anyone sign up for this promotion, only to be told after paying for the cruise that they added the $50 max per day? Also, has anyone who signed up for this been allowed to use the original promotion without the $50 max?

I think you can tell from this post that we are being challenged by HAL on their promotion ......even though I have in writing from a HAL employee that there is no $50 max. HAL is implementing it on our upcoming cruise saying the employee was mistaken. I didn't realize that I would need to print out HAL's promotional info from their website to have back up

Can you tell us what the date and destination of your cruise is. I've been reading up on the Above and Beyond promotion and what it offered to different cruise itineraries. It seems, at first glance, that the destination determined the promotional perks. Thanks!

Edited by Linda&Vern

Close relative.

Some of the itineraries which had the Signature Beverage Package were limited to one $50 beverage card per person.

The new promo doesn't have that option, but it has also removed inside cabins from the offer.

ours is an inside and we still show a $50 card each which I take to mean we have $100 only to spend between us during the whole cruise and this includes the 15% AND cannot be used on the special BOGOHP in the happy hour :confused:

Edited by windsor26

ours is an inside and we still show a $50 card each which I take to mean we have $100 only to spend between us during the whole cruise and this includes the 15% AND cannot be used on the special BOGOHP in the happy hour :confused:

We had the Caribbean version of the Signature Beverage Package (early 2014 version) which came with one $50 beverage card per person. We were able to use it just like any other $50 beverage card, or $50 worth of beverages charged to the room for that matter. We could use it at happy hour. The cost of a drink + the 15% service charge was deducted from the card when we used it. So, if we bought a $6.95 drink + a $1 happy hour drink, our beverage card was charged $7.95 + 15% ($1.19) or $9.14.

We purchased Signature Beverage Cards as well. For the SBP cards, the 15% service was included in the cost. Not so for the $50 cards we got as part of our Explore 4.

We had the Caribbean version of the Signature Beverage Package (early 2014 version) which came with one $50 beverage card per person. We were able to use it just like any other $50 beverage card, or $50 worth of beverages charged to the room for that matter. We could use it at happy hour. The cost of a drink + the 15% service charge was deducted from the card when we used it. So, if we bought a $6.95 drink + a $1 happy hour drink, our beverage card was charged $7.95 + 15% ($1.19) or $9.14.

We purchased Signature Beverage Cards as well. For the SBP cards, the 15% service was included in the cost. Not so for the $50 cards we got as part of our Explore 4.

Bolding mine. I think you may have meant to say that you had the Caribbean version of the Explore4 promo, not the SBP. The SBP has always been the same (except for a slight price increase since it first came out).

Sorry to correct you but I know you're a stickler for details!

Nana ... did you book with a TA or directly with HAL? And I'm gonna assume that the booking agent notified you of the price drop. I'd go back to the TA or PCC and ask them specifically why they did not notify you of the loss of Explore4 when the price drop happened.

I strongly suggest that passengers who have bonuses like Explore4 ask their PCC or TA for the written confirmation of what they have associated with their booking. It's right there on the HAL agent website so it's easy for the booking agent to get.

Bolding mine. I think you may have meant to say that you had the Caribbean version of the Explore4 promo, not the SBP. The SBP has always been the same (except for a slight price increase since it first came out).

Sorry to correct you but I know you're a stickler for details!

Thanks for the correction. I am seriously off my game today! First, I posted that Belgium was landlocked, causing my name to be cursed from Antwerp to Zeebrugge, and now this.

I hang my head in shame. :(