When to expect guaranty cabin assignment?

clojacks

We booked an IX GTY for our sons but we booked a specific balcony cabin for us. Does anyone know if I call NCL and ask for the reservations to be linked if they will take our cabin location into any consideration when assigning our sons? The "boys" are 21 and 18 so they don't need to be near us, lol, but it would be easier. Just a thought. We are cruising in 13 days so hopefully they'll be assigned soon....

We booked an IX GTY for our sons but we booked a specific balcony cabin for us. Does anyone know if I call NCL and ask for the reservations to be linked if they will take our cabin location into any consideration when assigning our sons? The "boys" are 21 and 18 so they don't need to be near us, lol, but it would be easier. Just a thought. We are cruising in 13 days so hopefully they'll be assigned soon....

No they won't. There have been posts here about even linked GTY bookings in the same category getting assigned to completely different places on the ship.

There appears to be lots of balcony cabins available at a higher grade on my cruise on the 10/5 is this a positive thing when waiting for a BF GTY ?

I agree that nobody really knows, so do not let your hopes get too high. That said, seeing lots of balconies you'd be delighted to get cannot be a bad thing! Good luck.

I booked an inside myself. Checked yesterday and OV was sold out but Inside was not. Thinking I will not be getting an upgrade lol

One never knows for sure until the assignment comes. Usually an inside gty gets one an inside cabin; some things a high grade inside, sometimes the lowest inside one promised by the gty booking level. Other than some people liking a higher deck or a quieter spot or a location near stairs or whatever, any inside pretty much feels the same to me. An inside I am expecting from my IX booking, but I'll be even happier if I get an upgrade or upsell.

I do not think it will help. Then again, I do not think it will hurt either, so call and ask to link them if you wish.

Checked again this morning (as I probably will every morning until assigned) and still nothing at 53 days out. Someone asked earlier about finding out how many cabins are left, and I usually do the false booking to get an idea of what is sold out, but someone else referred to a site called **********, I believe, and I checked it out, but I'm not real sure what the percentages assigned to specific sailings means. It could be % of cabins still vacate but I'm not sure as ours showed a 14% next to the sailing. Anyone else use it that can shed some light on what it does?

Checked again this morning (as I probably will every morning until assigned) and still nothing at 53 days out. Someone asked earlier about finding out how many cabins are left, and I usually do the false booking to get an idea of what is sold out, but someone else referred to a site called **********, I believe, and I checked it out, but I'm not real sure what the percentages assigned to specific sailings means. It could be % of cabins still vacate but I'm not sure as ours showed a 14% next to the sailing. Anyone else use it that can shed some light on what it does?

As you learned form the ****, some sites cannot be named here. If it is the one I think, I have heard they calculate the % of categories still available to book, not really the % of vacant cabins left on that sailing. If so, not particularly useful, so I do not use such a site (if it is even the same one:o). I do not think NCL release enough info abaout availability for outsiders to really determine the % vacancy. For example, even if there were 49 vacant B3 cabins, it would be rare for more than 15 to show on any website).

Edited by Starry Eyes

My bad I guess......

It is one that has aquatic creatures in its name :) if that is okay to say.

Please be careful with hints, too. A moderator once sent me a note about that, so I stay vague. Some hints get by, especially vague ones like yours, so the mods may let it pass. Hope so. Either way, live and learn. I did.

We booked a balcony guarantee for 9/27 sailing of the Getaway. I have tried the mock booking and the only thing I could see was that BD shows only a guarantee available so does that mean BD is sold out? The balcony categories above that all have availability. So, I "assume" this means we may not really see much or any of an upgrade, am I correct?

With the exception of one cruise, we have always booked assigned cabins because our kids were with us and we wanted to be close. We did book a guarantee on that one occasion and we were upgraded from inside to OV midship. Boy, were we happy. It was a 14 day cruise and I would have went bananas in an inside! :eek:

We booked a balcony guarantee for 9/27 sailing of the Getaway. I have tried the mock booking and the only thing I could see was that BD shows only a guarantee available so does that mean BD is sold out? The balcony categories above that all have availability. So, I "assume" this means we may not really see much or any of an upgrade, am I correct?

With the exception of one cruise, we have always booked assigned cabins because our kids were with us and we wanted to be close. We did book a guarantee on that one occasion and we were upgraded from inside to OV midship. Boy, were we happy. It was a 14 day cruise and I would have went bananas in an inside! :eek:

I do not see any BD's showing available for your sailing. So likely BD's are sold out at the moment, though NCL might have some shadow inventory we cannot see. I do see lots of other balconies available (BC all the way to B1). If I were you, I'd assume you'll get a balcony (not a minisuite or better) and I'd be prepared for the "worst" balcony on the ship, but you might get a average or better balcony cabin. "much or any upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder...if I booked a BX and got a large balcony or an aft balcony, I'd be thrilled; somebody else might care so much.

I think you were very lucky to get an OV cabin when you booked an inside gty previously. I hope I am so lucky on my upcoming 14 night cruise. And I certainly hope I do not go bananas if we sail in an inside. It is a somewhat port intensive European itinerary; perhaps we wear ourselves out in the ports and barely care about the cabin.

I do not see any BD's showing available for your sailing. So likely BD's are sold out at the moment, though NCL might have some shadow inventory we cannot see. I do see lots of other balconies available (BC all the way to B1). If I were you, I'd assume you'll get a balcony (not a minisuite or better) and I'd be prepared for the "worst" balcony on the ship, but you might get a average or better balcony cabin. "much or any upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder...if I booked a BX and got a large balcony or an aft balcony, I'd be thrilled; somebody else might care so much.

I think you were very lucky to get an OV cabin when you booked an inside gty previously. I hope I am so lucky on my upcoming 14 night cruise. And I certainly hope I do not go bananas if we sail in an inside. It is a somewhat port intensive European itinerary; perhaps we wear ourselves out in the ports and barely care about the cabin.

I am bracing myself for what we end up with. I know it is a gamble but it can't be that bad. I will still be on a cruise.

I hope you do great an upgrade for your upcoming European cruise. I agree with you that if it is port intensive, most any cabin will do! We were on Celebrity's Zenith near the end of her days with them. It was a lovely cruise but we were in our early 40's and everyone else was cruising in lieu of assisted living. After 9pm, it just seemed like a ghost town so we spent a bit more time in our cabin that we are used to. :)

I have book a lot of GTY's ( I think 10 or so ) only once did I go to the pier with out a cabin assignment .

When booking inside's we got an inside .

When I booked and Obstructed Ocean view we got an obstructed ocean view .

We Never have been lucky enough for a big upgrade .

53 days left and nothing posted as far as cabin number goes this morning, although, I don't know what made me think they would be assigning them overnight. :(

Good luck - my cruise is in 12 days (!!!!) and still no cabin number. I wish I knew when as well. I check three times a day since I have no idea if it happens overnight or at some point during the day. I don't want to print our e-docs and luggage tags when they say GTY and Deck 0 respectively, lol.

Good luck - my cruise is in 12 days (!!!!) and still no cabin number. I wish I knew when as well. I check three times a day since I have no idea if it happens overnight or at some point during the day. I don't want to print our e-docs and luggage tags when they say GTY and Deck 0 respectively, lol.

Hang in there and stay cautously optimistic. Although twelve days seems like a short time, it is loads of time for NCL to finalize cabin arrangments. The last 12 days before my vacations always drag on; maybe checking ncl.com for a cabin number will help the time pass.

As I recall, my last few NCL gty assignments were posted during the day. After my morning check and before my afternoon check, but my recollection of past assignment times may not reflect their current practice.

NCL is one of the cruiselines that calls guests (or their TA) to offer upsell deals if good cabins are available shortly before the cruise. For a cruiseline that does upsells, I imagine that leaving some gty bookings unassigned maximizes their flexibility. After all, if you booked a basic inside gty, after they try to maximize revenue by shuffling people with upsell they can tuck you in anywhere an open cabin might remain.

I have booked many gty's with different lines over the years (maybe 20 or so). So far I have always had a cabin assignment before leaving home, though I know I could have to wait until I get to the pier.

Got assigned today, 10 days out. Went with GTY IF deck 4 or 5 and got assigned Mid Ship IA DECK 10. Happy with the deck but not sure if it's a good location. Looks to be by where the smoke stack thing is so not sure if it would be noisy with all the mechanical stuff? Who knows! Just glad it wasn't a low deck very far back or forward. I'm happy and can't wait!!!

Edited by cruisinluvin
typo

Got assigned today, 10 days out. Went with GTY IF deck 4 or 5 and got assigned Mid Ship IA DECK 10. Happy with the deck but not sure if it's a good location. Looks to be by where the smoke stack thing is so not sure if it would be noisy with all the mechanical stuff? Who knows! Just glad it wasn't a low deck very far back or forward. I'm happy and can't wait!!!

Deck 10 midship sounds like a good location. I do not recall complaints about noise from smokestack or associated mechanical equipment. have a wonderful cruise.

We have a guaranty OA booked for the Dawn sailing on 9/26 from Boston to Quebec City.

I only now realized that you had a higher subcategory GTY than the usual something-X.

We did that once on Star (Dawn's sister ship) mistakenly believing that booking GTY OA would guarantee us either a oceanview on deck 8 or an upgrade to a balcony anywhere but instead thanks to NCL's decision to rate family cabins higher than regular cabins (in NCL's categories numbers are better than letters so the order from lowest to highest goes from X to A, 9 to 1), we got assigned to a family cabin on deck 5 and were not pleased with the location (and paid for an upgrade later).

So be aware that this can - and probably will - happen to you too unless they actually get an OA available before assignment (and even then I'd assume that they'd prefer to assign GTY bookings to O1 subcategory since it is not a holiday sailing where family cabins would be in high demand).

Edited by Demonyte

Someone ease my mind, lol. I am paid in full, prepaid daily fees and some reservations and still have no cabin assignment for our cruise in 10 days and most categories show as sold out now. There is a website that shows only 3% vacancy. They don't oversell cabins right? I will get a cabin.... I have to ask here because I'm driving my hubby crazy!

Someone ease my mind, lol. I am paid in full, prepaid daily fees and some reservations and still have no cabin assignment for our cruise in 10 days and most categories show as sold out now. There is a website that shows only 3% vacancy. They don't oversell cabins right? I will get a cabin.... I have to ask here because I'm driving my hubby crazy!

Yes, you will get a cabin even if it was only at the port or even after boarding the ship. Do not worry about it.