1st Timer, Packages even for coffee?

mimilee214

Sorry, don't know what cruise line you are sailing with.

I've only sailed with Holland America, and, if I want early morning coffee, I just order from room service.

Many cruise lines do not allow passengers to have a hot pot (sometimes appliances can be a fire hazard).

Perhaps you could post this question on the board for your cruise line.

Have a great cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Since you did not specify what ship or cruise line you will be sailing, I can only answer in general terms:

There is no extra charge for room service coffee. You can have a pot delivered at the time you choose every morning by hanging the breakfast order form outside your door the night before.

Pretty much every ship now has an outlet when one can purchase the ubiquitous overpriced west coast coffee chain concoctions. You can pay for them as you go, or purchase a "coffee card' which (again, depending on the cruise line) gives you either a certain number of premium & specialty coffees at a discount, or unlimited coffees (and often other non-alcoholic drinks) for a set cost per day.

Tea is also available at no cost, though premium teas are also sold at the coffee bar. Some, but increasingly fewer, ships offer afternoon tea service; the form and formality again varies wildly.

Edited by fishywood

On all cruiselines, all "water-based" drinks are included. Coffee, tea (hot or iced) ice water, lemonade or fruit punch, milk and juice at breakfast.

Premium coffees, like lattes, cappuchinos, etc....are extra....you can buy them individually, or get the package if you are addicted to those things!

Same with soda...its NOT included, but you can buy sodas as you want, or get a package for unlimited soda....(not good for you, but lots do that!)

If you order room service coffee (or more) please tip the waiter a buck or 2.

I don't order room service hot tea as it is generally served in a coffee server and tastes dreadful.

Every ship I've been on has some sort of early bird coffee and snack area set up as part of your total cruise price. On some of the larger ships it is open 24 hours.

Check your ship's info for particular information to your ship.

On all cruiselines, all "water-based" drinks are included. Coffee, tea (hot or iced) ice water, lemonade or fruit punch, milk and juice at breakfast.

Premium coffees, like lattes, cappuchinos, etc....are extra....you can buy them individually, or get the package if you are addicted to those things!

Same with soda...its NOT included, but you can buy sodas as you want, or get a package for unlimited soda....(not good for you, but lots do that!)

Beer is "water based" and certainly not included. Just sayin. Same for sodas.

Edited by YubaSutter

I like a coffee before getting dressed in AM; should I bring my own instant and hotpot? How much is a "coffee package"

What and when is a beverage included.....afternoon tea?

thanks,mimilee214

you cannot bring anything on board for coffee/hot water that requires plugging in. a French press is allowed, and you can order hot water from room service

most lines do NOT have in room machines unless you are in a suite

room service will deliver a pot usually beginning as early as 6 am. you should tip a dollar or so each time they deliver.

plain coffee and tea is included in the fare. specialties such as lattes and cappuccinos are extra and you would need the appropriate drink package for that a package like this DOES NOT cover room service delivery.

I also want my coffee before I get dressed. I have found the room service coffee is often horrible stuff - way too bitter for me. Most ships have a place to get the free coffee or tea to go. If DH does not get my coffee in the morning I get it myself. I have a muumuu type dress I throw on over my nightie. I take a small thermos and fill it with coffee from one of the coffee machines. And take it back to the cabin. (Do not put the coffee directly into your own travel mug or thermos.) There should be paper cups with tops if you don't want to bring your own cup. This way I get my coffee and maybe a roll without getting woken up or having to wait for room service.

There are no paper cups for coffee in the buffet where there is coffee 24hrs. Only cups or mugs depending on the ship. At the bistro/coffee shop is where you get your coffee in a paper cup with a lid and must pay for it with your sign 'n sail card. But this is not available 24hrs.

Every morning I go get coffee for my husband who then gets out of bed to drink it and tea for me. Then he showers. If we have a fridge in our cabin I get a small carton of milk, a cup for sugar packets and stirrers and take it back to the cabin. Then I just get coffee as we have what he needs in the cabin every day for his coffee.

We had a kettle and instant coffee/tea/hot chocolate in our cabin, but I always preferred to go on deck early morning to get a coffee from the buffet restaurant while manoeuvring into port.

Bringing my own kettle is just not on my radar screen at all. Travelling means doing things differently and getting outside of your comfort zone.

Once, only once, on NCL, we had a 2 cup coffee pot IN our cabin. Think they were in all the cabins. But have been on NCL since and they no longer have them. If you try to take one on board it will be taken from you. You can get it back the last morning.

But on a real old ship now sailing out of England we had a drawer with a fold out ironing board!

I also like to have coffee when I first get up and there are 2 ways to do this. First there will be a menu in your cabin and you just fill it out and place it on your outside doorknob at night before going to bed. Your order will be delivered at the time to specify. Or you can just call room service when you wake up and they will bring it.

Have fun.

Just order your coffee from room service the night before, giving a time for delivery. But don't forget to put down that you want cream and sugar if you use them. You might as well order your juice and a pastry while you're at it!

Kettles are usually available for cruises in Europe and Asia. Some cruise lines will have coffee makers in the room if you are in a suite. I have gotten paper cups with lids for free on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Oceania.