BOB in December

janny444

Hi...I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string but how bad is BOB in December. We have done it in November...awful...ship listed....done it in October...bit better but I felt so sick. So has anyone any past statistics on BOB in December.

I'm thinking that maybe I was unlucky or am I just trying to kid myself.

Janny, there's no such thing as statistics for the sea. I have crossed the English channel in December - like a mill pond and I have crossed in July and been as sick as a dog. You just can't say. Take some crystallised ginger - works for me.

Hi...I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string but how bad is BOB in December. We have done it in November...awful...ship listed....done it in October...bit better but I felt so sick. So has anyone any past statistics on BOB in December.

I'm thinking that maybe I was unlucky or am I just trying to kid myself.

Janny444, I think you have been a bit unlucky. We have crossed BOB something like 40 times and had one very bad one bad about 6/7 bumpy and the rest OK.

We have sailed every month except possibly March. The best crossing was 28th December a few years ago. Mill pond. Worst late Oct. 2002.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You obviously don't get sea sick....wish I could sit back and enjoy the roller coaster ride :D

We missed the worst going down by about 12 hours and the ship missed La Coruna and went direct to the Canaries. Oriana a couple of days before had a hell of a time getting out of the same port.

Pure chance. What you get. But overall more good than bad.

BTW the sea does not bother us either. Being on my scooter I can get around much better than people walking. :) :)

There is a drink made with ginger ale that one of the bartenders made for my wife when she wasn't feeling well which got her up and about. I cant remember what went into it but if you ask a good barman to make you a drink for seasickness they will oblige, non-alcoholic btw!

Cunard used to offer crystallised ginger at dinner if you asked for it which apparently works wonders too.

We did Ventura to the Canaries three or so years ago in September. BOB going was so smooth the Captain said it was the smoothest he had ever known. coming back was completely the opposite. So much so that the wife vowed never to do another cruise that crossed the BOB. Luckily she forgot that and no real problems since.

Seems like ginger is the "magic" remedy that one should take with you on every sailing....one never knows when bad weather strikes. Once when we sailing up the coast of Portugal...seas not particularly rough...but oh boy did I feel ill...just had to lie comatose on my bed. I think it may just be how the ship moves at particular times that causes it. I have the Sea Bands...kwells....prescription tablets for vertigo....none of them work so maybe ginger and anything with ginger in it may be the way to go.

Of course another alternative is never to cruise again!!! :eek:

Edited by janny444

Trust me the ginger works. I have been horrendously sick in my time, but I start with the ginger the day before and haven't felt even remotely ill even in a Force 12 on Balmoral in January.

Hi Jean.....how often do you take the crystallised ginger....once a day...twice a day..?

We missed the worst going down by about 12 hours and the ship missed La Coruna and went direct to the Canaries. Oriana a couple of days before had a hell of a time getting out of the same port.

Great video of it here http://

I've never been seasick yet, but I've heard it can affect anyone at anytime at sea. Hopefully I resist the urge!

Janny, if you like the stuff, buy some crystallised ginger. Take a couple of pieces the night before you travel and then a couple the next morning and then just a piece when you feel like it. Some people don't like it. It's quite strong. I think ginger biccies work as well. You can also get ginger tablets I think?

Oh goodness me!! That video is enough to put me off cruising!! Better not show OH! I wonder how long before it calmed down?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's very unusual, only happens every other day. :) :) ;) ;)

This is the Oceana going through the BoB taken from the Ventura

This one is a compilation of short ship videos when things don't quite go to plan

there are lots on youtube.

Worse things happen at sea!

This is the Oceana going through the BoB taken from the Ventura

This one is a compilation of short ship videos when things don't quite go to plan

there are lots on youtube.

But apart from that, BOB is fine :p

As everyone says it's a lottery as to how rough it can be. I have had more calm crossings than bad but the last two times in December have been rough coming home - everything taken down in the shop and put on the floor rough!!

Having said that I felt absolutely fine, but one calm morning on Balmoral I woke up feeling really sick! It is the kind of movement rather than how rough the sea is that makes the difference I find.

Cunard still have big plates of crystalised ginger to pick up as you leave the MDR.