Cunard reads Cruisecritic .com?

Jimsgirl

They would write to Mr Dingle because he is CEO of Cunard as well as P&O.

This is correct. However he doesn't reply either as we had to complain to him regarding a P&O problem . He does have a flunky who writes to try to fob everyone of with twaddle.

We wrote to Micky Arison at Miami head quarters sent it registered and still no reply!:mad:

I know Cunard reply on Facebook as you can see the responses.

The Internet is a great tool for pointing out the good and the bad of a situation so companies do read what is written I believe.

Trip Advisor is another where you can get bad reviews and companies have the right to reply.

Fair enough - but has anyone here been contacted by anyone at Cunard as a result of a complaint/criticism made on this forum? As with Facebook, everyone is anonymous but as far as I can tell, Cunard employees are actually contributing to the Facebook page.

It might be sufficient for some to post a comment on here and 'know' that Cunard has seen it and noted it for future reference (feedback, as you said), but if I had a genuine complaint I would write to them or email them as has been suggested to give them the opportunity to resolve the issue and to let me know it has been resolved to my satisfaction.

As Cruisin'Chris pointed out 'this board isn't meant as a substitute for customer relations'.

Yes, I have.

Yes, I have.

Then I stand corrected :)

Do you mind if I ask how they made contact? I notice that you post an email address in your signature - is this how they contacted you? Or was it because you are such a frequent Cunard customer that someone just knew who you were?

Then I stand corrected :)

Do you mind if I ask how they made contact? I notice that you post an email address in your signature - is this how they contacted you? Or was it because you are such a frequent Cunard customer that someone just knew who you were?

I was writing an on board blog live and they called my cabin.

The back 'n forth on threads, such as above, is why folk in corporate offices often think people posting in internet forums are crazy. Nit-picking, people sniping at one another, obvious posts where one doesn't care for another, one knowing so much more than another, just ask … such posts are easily dismissible.

No, Cunard does NOT monitor Cruise Critic to figure out how to run its ships. Cruise Critic is not that important, no matter its fans. Yes, some offices look at what the general tone of comments are on related forums. It's like the "how was your voyage" forms Cunard offers; when did you actually make serious charges or suggestions and get any response? Internal reports establish problems and areas needing attention. Fan forums and the wailing of people making thousands and thousands of nattering posts are only of importance to the posters, and are tiresome to most people on the forums.

As well, just because something is read on an Internet page does not make it correct. Positions, names, contacts can be incorrect, a page not updated daily.

The back 'n forth on threads, such as above, is why folk in corporate offices often think people posting in internet forums are crazy. Nit-picking, people sniping at one another, obvious posts where one doesn't care for another, one knowing so much more than another, just ask … such posts are easily dismissible.

No, Cunard does NOT monitor Cruise Critic to figure out how to run its ships. Cruise Critic is not that important, no matter its fans. Yes, some offices look at what the general tone of comments are on related forums. It's like the "how was your voyage" forms Cunard offers; when did you actually make serious charges or suggestions and get any response? Internal reports establish problems and areas needing attention. Fan forums and the wailing of people making thousands and thousands of nattering posts are only of importance to the posters, and are tiresome to most people on the forums.

As well, just because something is read on an Internet page does not make it correct. Positions, names, contacts can be incorrect, a page not updated daily.

Thank you so much for your insight.

Well, that's interesting - so perhaps someone is reading after all. Do you think you would have a different experience when writing a live blog than you would if you had already returned home? I realise this doesn't negate the fact that if your blog was posted here, then they obviously saw it, but I am interested in whether you think a live blog would demand an immediate response?

Well, that's interesting - so perhaps someone is reading after all. Do you think you would have a different experience when writing a live blog than you would if you had already returned home? I realise this doesn't negate the fact that if your blog was posted here, then they obviously saw it, but I am interested in whether you think a live blog would demand an immediate response?

Sorry, impossible to say really. If they were able to resolve matters raised in a live situation, it would be good PR for them. They did and it was.

Not on Cunard, but once on Princess I was doing a Live Report from a cruise and the Cruise Director sent us a free bottle of wine for saying such nice things about the cruise in my live report, which he had read on Cruise Critic.

Not on Cunard, but once on Princess I was doing a Live Report from a cruise and the Cruise Director sent us a free bottle of wine for saying such nice things about the cruise in my live report, which he had read on Cruise Critic.

That's interesting. Certainly an enticement to post "such nice things" in a live report while on board. Did you ever post anything other than nice things, and if so, was there any reaction from the Cruise Director or other staff members? Thanks for your anticipated response. -S

Edited by Salacia

That's interesting. Certainly an enticement to post "such nice things" in a live report while on board. Did you ever post anything other than nice things, and if so, was there any reaction from the Cruise Director or other staff members? Thanks for your anticipated response. -S

I just love cruising, so most of the things I post on my Live Reports are pretty positive. I try to remain as objective as possible, but it does upset me when they have a supposed "dance band" in a dance venue, that play endless, undanceable, jazz riffs. I guess that is what bugs me the most on a ship and, when that happens, I talk first to the band. If that doesn't work, I talk to the Cruise Director, and I always report it in my Live Report and in my evaluations--truly scathing reports in my evaluations. :p

I am not much of a foodie, so as long as I am fed regularly, I don't really care, although I am crazy about Princess Pizza and always rave about that.

Mostly my Live Reports are pretty factual, although some people think they are really funny and informative.

Starting this Sunday, I will be doing a Live Report from the Queen Victoria. Read it and see what you think. Since we are primarily Princess cruisers, it will probably contain lots of observations on the differences between sailing on Princess and Cunard. Heretofore, we have sailed Princess 30 times and only sailed Cunard once, on the Queen Mary, and we loved it. But then, we truly love cruising so there is no surprise there, especially on a ship with such a lovely ballroom and good dance music.

I will definitely post if I happen to get any free wine! ;)

Edited by PunkiC

Yes a little different though than getting a reply by e mail or snail or even phone, shore side.

I have always had a reply from a complaint made on board, but had great difficulty when on shore.

I did once get an answer when I rang Cunard Southampton about what I regarded, and still do, as the theft of unspent self bought OBC.

The "lady" I was finally connected to finished up screaming at me and I had to hang up on her.

Probably it's easier to reply to praise rather than complaints, which is likely the case with Jim's Girl.

David.

Yes a little different though than getting a reply by e mail or snail or even phone, shore side.

I have always had a reply from a complaint made on board, but had great difficulty when on shore.

I did once get an answer when I rang Cunard Southampton about what I regarded, and still do, as the theft of unspent self bought OBC.

The "lady" I was finally connected to finished up screaming at me and I had to hang up on her.

Probably it's easier to reply to praise rather than complaints, which is likely the case with Jim's Girl.

David.

I really don't understand their stance over OBC. I feel that it is unfair for them to keep the unused portion regardless of the original source. Fortunately I have never been in the position to be impacted by this practice. :D I do wonder at the legality of this though.

Cunard spends money gathering information in the form of satisfaction surveys. They would be foolish to ignore comments on CC, which they can access for free.

My guess is that they trend issues we discuss on CC.

I don't believe there is any advantage for them to try to problem solve individual complaints presented on our board.

My sense is that, nowadays, businesses, in general, care less about the picky little details which create reputation and respond only when necessary. Responses of any kind cost a business money.

We all experience the "press one" on the telephone nonsense and many of us remember when telephones were answered by people, who could problem-solve, instead of robots who make contacting a business more time consuming and frustrating.

There is a reason Cunard makes it so difficult for customer to present complaints. It deters complaining. Each complaint someone doesn't express, saves the cost of someone listening to that complaint...

Cunard has its variation of the cruise line format. If this format "works" onboard, passengers are happy. If problems arise, solutions are often not easy to come by and require great persistence---Sometimes solutions are impossible to garner altogether.

Not to say Cunard staff doesn't often try very hard to please us. I just believe they are not always empowered to "do something."

I think Cunard looks at numbers of comments on a subject, but not necessarily with a goal to trying to please everyone about everything. As long as dollars and cents (and pounds and pence) add up, I don't believe Cunard has motivation to change something (or even react politely).

• 3 weeks later...
I can assure you Cunard does indeed read all the posts on these boards, It does not reply to them on here, but they reply on another one, but they do read it,

I've never seen an official response from Cunard here, but NCL does have a verified official account on the boards. There was a thread regarding a news story pertaining to bereavement cancellations and NCL thanked CC members for their support.

I really don't understand their stance over OBC. I feel that it is unfair for them to keep the unused portion regardless of the original source. Fortunately I have never been in the position to be impacted by this practice. :D I do wonder at the legality of this though.

Even though they both come under the Carnival umbrella, P&O certainly display 'bully' tactics when replying to complaints and quote a myriad of small print in the hope that the complainant will disappear - which they usually do! Cunard appear more responsive but that may be the result of their US customer base and the more aggressive US legal system? The fare structure across the pond is certainly kinder to the solo passenger than within the UK.

Turning to OBC, why lose it? I blow any remainder in the shops on board - a girl can never have enough perfume... ;)