People thinking cheap means trashy if you go on a carnival cruise

ckhappy

I think that Tapi is right on the spot with his/her comment. There are things that do make a difference between a luxury line and a budget line. There are times when we choose to stay in a 5 star hotel and there are times when a Holiday Inn Express is ok. Carnival offers a much different experience than a luxury cruise line and it's ok and shouldn't be looked down upon. No need to defend the it. There's a time and place for both types of experiences in our lives. That's part of the reason I won't pay for Carnival's high end suites at their rack or "discounted" rates. Why spend extra money on a product that that is not substantially different than most of their balcony rooms and don't offer many extra perks? I would love to learn why people choose to take a budget friendly line and then spend high end prices for a "suite".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My reason is the extra space.

Some guy came into where I work today and was talking about how he is going on a princess Cruise to Alaska. We were talking blah blah blah then he said my brother and his wife are going on a Caribbean cruise on carnival. He said are you kidding my really what's $299 going to get ya.

I guess he doesn't know that Princess is owned by Carnival Corp!

Edited by hirent

I guess he doesn't know that Princess is owned by Carnival Corp!

Princess Cruises and other subsidiaries under the holding company, including Carnival Cruise Lines, are operated independently. For some reason, there is a high amount of confusion whereby others think Carnival Cruise Lines is Carnival Corporation & plc.

People have fun in their Bliss. I was always taught "Ignorance is Bliss". So just let them smile and make smart remarks about Carnival and keep moving. Their comments could never take away my pleasure on and with with Carnival.

And I love my Mustang and bet I paid a lot less than your Corvette or that Lexus :D:p. Having said that we also own an Impala, Expedition, Taurus, and Caravan. To each his own. We like to try all lines. Just like we are flexible with car brands. We have enjoyed all of our cruises...some more so than others (Note that the majority of our cruises have been on Carnival...DH's favorite). Same with our cars. We have enjoyed a variety of brands over the years but some we just like better than the others (Ford;)...again DH's favorite).

Let me tell you a little something about Lexus. They ride like a dream and they're quiet as a tomb inside. So much so that you have to check the tach to see if the engine is running, because you can't hear it. The ownership experience is over the top. They treat you like a visiting head of state at the dealership. That said, I have never been able to adjust the seats to be truly comfortable for me. They just hit me wrong and I'm a short Asian guy. Go figure.

I much prefer my Ford truck, and based on how little the wife drives her car, I'd say she prefers her Dodge Ram 4x4 too.

Princess Cruises and other subsidiaries under the holding company, including Carnival Cruise Lines, are operated independently. For some reason, there is a high amount of confusion whereby others think Carnival Cruise Lines is Carnival Corporation & plc.

There is no confusion; my post was more tongue-in-cheek than serious; I just didn't add a smiley to it (there is no smiley for that, only 'stick-out-tongue').

I imagined the conversation going like this:

Snob: 'Carnival....ugh!'

OP: You do know that Carnival owns Princess, right?'

Snob: No....really?

OP: Yes, really.

:D

After cruising on RCCI, NCL, HAL, and Carnival. I would have to say that Carnival is at the bottom of the list in my opinion. What you read and hear about Carnivals tacky decor, terrible food, and so-so on ship service and experiences is true.

Carnival is my LAST resort when looking to book a cruise. Its not a coincidence they are called the "walmart" of the seas...

I strongly disagree with this statement in general. Although there are some elements about cruising that are similar across cruise lines, I consider the differences to be pretty substantial. It's like saying that a stay at the Hampton Inn is similar to a stay at the Westin because both deliver a place to sleep, food, a pool, gym, and parking.

Whether someone NOTICES the differences is a completely different matter. If you're someone who is satisfied with the more basic needs, then yes, all cruise lines will seem similar because all of them deliver the most basic needs well. But if you're someone more discerning and detail oriented, the differences become more apparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Then again sometimes people seem to just "think" they are getting more because it cost more. My sister and I did The Island Princess in a mini-suite to Alaska. Cost for cruise and airfare was about $5000. I've cruised Princess before and the trip was lovely due to the destination but I did not enjoy the ship as much as Carnival. The Balcony of the mini-suite was about twice the size of the standard Balconies on Carnival but the room size was about the same size as a Balcony cabin on Carnival at 5 times the price. The robes had sleeves that stopped about 4 inch's above the wrist and were VERY thin rough cloth (and this was in Alaska were it is COLD!), where as the Carnival robes are Large, thick and soft. The Bath did have a whirlpool tub/shower combo but the tub stopper did not work and despite complaints it was never fixed. They had shows in the main lounge that were better than Carnivals shows but once that hour was over there was nothing else to do except the disco and piano bar. I cant dance for long due to a back problem and so I went to the piano bar. The guy there would glare at anyone who dared to hum along with him which is odd since that's usually what people do in a piano bar. They had Karaoke but only for about 1-2 hours on only a few evenings and if you went to the show you missed the Karaoke. They had NO comedy club. They did have a comedian one night in the main show room but he counted as the entire show that night. We got NO towel animals on our bed. Room service was about the same in amount of selection as Carnival and the food quality in the dinning room was about the same but they had no lobster on Princess and the Escargot is better on Carnival. Alaska was beautiful and I would not have missed Glacier bay for anything but really I would have had more fun and enjoyed the food just as much with Carnival at 1/5th the price.

Lol…this argument always cracks me up.

After our 6th Carnival cruise, I am feeling the itch to try something different next time. Has nothing to do with anything being trash, I just found myself kinda burnt out toward the end of our last cruise…I totally enjoy the ports, but I could take or leave the ship. Perhaps I am just burnt out on cruising, or maybe I just need a different experience.

If it means families in their mid 30s with children who are looking for a deal, then I guess that's trashy…We make enough money to cruise on almost any line, but I don't cruise for the ships, I cruise because I like to visit new places. Since most visit the same places, ill go with the cheapest way to get there. Fancy laundry, white glove service, etc. is completely useless to me. I could care less what was on the ship most of the time. I'd rather them do away with the whole formal night thing, I think it is kind of silly. But people like it, so I just do something else on those nights. I have to dress up for work, when I'm on vacation, I would rather not.

One thing I can agree on. The MDR and Buffet food is just not that good. It is passable, and I can typically find something I can eat, so I don't complain much…but it could use some improvement.

A funny note when thinking "Trashy" On our last cruise a couple of weeks ago, embarkation day, a lady got on the elevator with us as we were going from Lido to Promenade. 7 of us and this lady. She smelled like a hot garbage can. I am not sure what happened to her, but it took your breath away. So much so, I could smell it for a minute or so after we got off the elevator. My son almost said something and I had to stop him. I honestly felt really sorry for her. I can't imagine how a person could smell that terrible.

Is that the trashy you are talking about? :rolleyes:

Edited by EnTnSA

Let me tell you a little something about Lexus. They ride like a dream and they're quiet as a tomb inside. So much so that you have to check the tach to see if the engine is running, because you can't hear it. The ownership experience is over the top. They treat you like a visiting head of state at the dealership. That said, I have never been able to adjust the seats to be truly comfortable for me. They just hit me wrong and I'm a short Asian guy. Go figure.

I much prefer my Ford truck, and based on how little the wife drives her car, I'd say she prefers her Dodge Ram 4x4 too.

Well my DD (17) has taken over my 2003 Mustang that we bought new and stored winters, so I don't get the fun of driving it much anymore :( and DH has never let me drive his '65 Fastback :rolleyes:, but my Taurus that I bought when DD took over my Mustang also rides like a dream and is quiet as a tomb inside:D. So much so that I need get after DH, who normally drives the Impala, to watch his speed when he is driving it because it is so smooth he doesn't realize how fast he is going:eek:. Who needs to spend the extra money on a Lexus :p? I just realized how much of a Ford family this made us sound like....but We've had great experiences with our Dodges, Buicks, and multiple other brands we've had over the years with just a couple lemons (brand new Chrysler Concorde for one). Ford is just a favorite that we seem to keep coming back to after trying the others to see what we like...just like Carnival.

We are spending the extra money for the Grand Suite on Carnival, because the Paradise is an older ship that doesn't have any balconies unless you are in a suite.. and the smaller suites that were left have obstructions...you asked and I quote....

"why people choose to take a budget friendly line and then spend high end prices for a "suite"???."

I have been on longer cruises where we could get a cabin with a balcony and it not be a suite, but I am not a big traveler, so I treat myself when I do travel.. (to me there is no place like home)..I didn't really want to go on a 7 day cruise this trip, (Sept 11 Carnival Paradise) and the shorter cruises unfortunately are only available on the older ships that don't have balconies. I need to be able to get out for fresh air in my cabin.. it is the same reason I like hotels where you can open a window if there are no balconies... sooo that is the main reason we booked the "Grand Suite" and paid more without having that many extra perks,..BUT having more room in our cabin with the larger balcony, is more then enough extra perks for me, because one of my favorite things to do on a cruise..... is read outside on the balcony, feel the breeze and look at the ocean in my own space when I want to get away from it all!! :) I hope that answered your question... :) :)

I think that Tapi is right on the spot with his/her comment. There are things that do make a difference between a luxury line and a budget line. There are times when we choose to stay in a 5 star hotel and there are times when a Holiday Inn Express is ok. Carnival offers a much different experience than a luxury cruise line and it's ok and shouldn't be looked down upon. No need to defend the it. There's a time and place for both types of experiences in our lives. That's part of the reason I won't pay for Carnival's high end suites at their rack or "discounted" rates. Why spend extra money on a product that that is not substantially different than most of their balcony rooms and don't offer many extra perks? I would love to learn why people choose to take a budget friendly line and then spend high end prices for a "suite".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll oblige: I want the extra space and amenities of the suite - more storage space, more bathroom space, more balcony space, more space; the whirlpool tub is nice too, the dual sink vanity, the dressing room area in the walk-thru closet. I know what I'm getting: just a Carnival suite with no perks - nothing like our GS on RCI earlier this year. But I'm not paying anyway near what I paid for that GS for our Carnival VS.

Oh, and for the record, I don't think that the Vista Suite (Aft-Wrap Balcony Suite) on Carnival Pride is "a product that is not substantially different than most of their balcony rooms". I see plenty of difference and am willing to pay the price difference.:cool:

Just because we are cruising on a budget line for this particular cruise doesn't mean we have to stay in the most budget accommodations.;) It's nice to have options.

PS: Sometimes we cruise a budget line to be with friends and/or family, but we still want a nice, roomy cabin (suite). I hope this all helps you understand at least one Carnival suite cruiser's motivation.:)

I agree with you 100%. Personally, I see huge differences between all the cruise lines. Even on the brands under the Carnival umbrella that use the same ship designs, I see big differences in the products themselves.

But as for Carnival and the "trashy" comment that started this thread, well, it is what it is. I think a better word than trashy can be used but if I'm to be completely honest, Carnival cruisers do represent a lot more of the budget minded, blue collar, Jimmy Buffet crowd than any other cruise line. NCL is close, but I think Carnival still takes it. Call it whatever euphemism you wish, but like I said, it is what it is and people really shouldn't be denying it. No sense being insecure about it.

Exactly and not to brag but fortunately we can afford to cruise any line we choose and we choose Carnival. We prefer to hang out with the laid back, Jimmy Buffett crowd.

While leaving Jack's shack in Grand Turk I had a group from another cruise line walking behind me. They kept going on and on about Carnival and all of the loud partiers. I finally had enough and turned around and said yep and we are those loud partiers. We prefer to hang out with people who don't look their nose down on others.

My wife and I both had professional jobs for over 35 years. We had to maintain a certain decorum at work. We live in flip flops, shorts and tank tops now and we like it that way.

I have cruised many, many times with Carnival. I have also cruised with Cunard, Holland America, Celebrity, RCI, and Delta Queen. I LOVE Carnival. they really are "the fun ships" and there is something for everyone. For those eeking a more upscale experience, there is The Steakhouse, the Chefs dinner, book a suite, spend time in the spas....ports are the same for any line stopping there so that is not an issue for me. Carnival goes most everyplace the other line do. I meet great people on all the lines, but the service is so genuine on Carnival, that is what keeps me coming back. I can cruise more often with Carnival at their price point, which I like!

I can understand the man's opinion baed on past reputation, because I at one time felt that way, UNTIL I TRIED CARNIVAL! So glad I did Now I love telling people I meet how great it is. AND I talk it up when on other cruise lines. Oh, and Celebrity-which is suppose to be so great on service-was the worst experience I have EVER experienced. I will NEVER cruise with them again. EVER.

I have reached a point/age in life where I dont give a good rip anymore what anyone thinks about me, or about the cruiseline I go with:p

We must be about the same age as that is exactly how I feel. lol. Doesn't matter what people say or think of me, I'm going to do/ say just what I want too. :D