People thinking cheap means trashy if you go on a carnival cruise

ckhappy

the differences in the entertainment can not be matched by carnival. from broadway style shows, live daily music on the lido, and other type shows that have big production value it just makes for a better product.

I agree there is a difference between these two cruise lines, as well as others. And you have outlined them well. The questions comes down to are you willing to pay an extra $5 for these things? And if you are, will you take the time to do them?

For me cruising is about getting off the grid, a place to lay in the sun, enjoy a good meal, a clean place to sleep and to get to ports and home safely. If I can find these with Carnival because if offers a better price than other cruise lines then Carnivals for me.

My perfence is to usually miss the shows, including the passenger participation ones. We enjoy to dance to live bands, but recorded music works just as well.

I know people have complained about Carnival cost savings cuts, but to me I don't see much difference that would effect my enjoyment of being at sea.

Edited by CruiseHealing

This list consisted of things that I didn't care much for, but for those that care, the differences are HUGE. Same goes with other cruise lines. Even though I often read how Carnival and Royal are so similar, I consider the differences between these two cruise lines to be huge. But I do care about the things that make these two different. Others may not.

I agree with you 100%. Personally, I see huge differences between all the cruise lines. Even on the brands under the Carnival umbrella that use the same ship designs, I see big differences in the products themselves.

But as for Carnival and the "trashy" comment that started this thread, well, it is what it is. I think a better word than trashy can be used but if I'm to be completely honest, Carnival cruisers do represent a lot more of the budget minded, blue collar, Jimmy Buffet crowd than any other cruise line. NCL is close, but I think Carnival still takes it. Call it whatever euphemism you wish, but like I said, it is what it is and people really shouldn't be denying it. No sense being insecure about it.

I strongly disagree with this statement in general. Although there are some elements about cruising that are similar across cruise lines, I consider the differences to be pretty substantial. It's like saying that a stay at the Hampton Inn is similar to a stay at the Westin because both deliver a place to sleep, food, a pool, gym, and parking.

Whether someone NOTICES the differences is a completely different matter. If you're someone who is satisfied with the more basic needs, then yes, all cruise lines will seem similar because all of them deliver the most basic needs well. But if you're someone more discerning and detail oriented, the differences become more apparent.

For example, when we sailed on Holland America last year, initially I didn't think that the differences were that noticeable either. I kept asking myself "Where's this "Signature of Excellence" that they talk about??" That is, until my well traveled, very discerning, 74 year old mother started pointing out the white gloved service, the room service delivered in china, the laundry wrapped in tissue paper and gold foil and delivered in a wicker basket, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the full dining room menu available in-cabin, the quality of the linens, the added throw blankets for balcony use, the fully stocked library, the non-intrusive announcements, and even the brand of china used in the main dining room.

This list consisted of things that I didn't care much for, but for those that care, the differences are HUGE. Same goes with other cruise lines. Even though I often read how Carnival and Royal are so similar, I consider the differences between these two cruise lines to be huge. But I do care about the things that make these two different. Others may not.

Very well said. Thank you. Me? It doesn't take much to please me, but I can truly enjoy the finer things too. (I still have HAL to look forward to sometime.)

Kathy

It's fun reading these comments. First, I'm not ignorant. Second, I'm not a snob. Third, I have been on multiple Carnival ships. So let's get to the point.....

1. On this board, you will find people asking about smuggling everyday for Carnival.

2. On this board, you will see big discussions on how far can you dress sloppy, and get away with it. Using the terms, I am wearing "classy" flip flops, and "cute" shorts.

3. It is a known fact, that Carnival is known as the "poop" cruise.

4. It is a known fact, that Carnival has removed most live entertainment while others have increased theirs.

5. It is a known fact, that Carnival has downgraded their dining experience while other lines have upgraded theirs

6. It is a known fact, that Carnival has "upgraded" their ships, by adding more rooms, and adding a hamburger stand, while other cruises lines, have completely redesigned their ships from scratch, making a different cruise experience on each class, and giving "families" variety to keep coming back.

7. It is a known fact that Carnival "restricts" their unlimited package, because of abuse, but other cruise lines have true unlimited packages since they trust their guest.

8. It is known fact, that Carnival clogs up the gangway, to get your picture, and creates long lines, in order to get extra money, while other cruise lines actually let you walk off the ship, without this intrusion.

9. It is a know fact, that Carnival ships, have the gawdiest interiors, while other cruise lines keep it simple.

So when the comments come up that Carnival is thrashy, why argue it, and justify it is not? Just embrace the fact it is, and move on. Don't defend it.

But as for Carnival and the "trashy" comment that started this thread, well, it is what it is. I think a better word than trashy can be used but if I'm to be completely honest, Carnival cruisers do represent a lot more of the budget minded, blue collar, Jimmy Buffet crowd than any other cruise line.

I think that a lot of people get caught up in the whole "I love Carnival but I'm not trashy" argument, and they fail to see Carnival for what it is. It's a smart, budget minded cruise line which gives a lot of people the opportunity to enjoy the basic pleasures of cruising at a lower price. No sense in trying to convince themselves that Carnival is "not trashy because I'm not" or that "Carnival is just like the other cruise lines" because it's not. That's not a bad thing though. It's actually a very good thing.

Is Carnival a "trashy" cruise line? No. Trashy and budget minded are two different things. But because they attract a broader sliver of the population, that means that they will get some cruisers, even if it's a small percentage, that give the cruise line a bad name. And somehow, they are the ones getting interviewed on TV, or featured on "less than flattering" YouTube videos for the rest of the cruising population to see. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I think that a lot of people get caught up in the whole "I love Carnival but I'm not trashy" argument, and they fail to see Carnival for what it is. It's a smart, budget minded cruise line which gives a lot of people the opportunity to enjoy the basic pleasures of cruising at a lower price. No sense in trying to convince themselves that Carnival is "not trashy because I'm not" or that "Carnival is just like the other cruise lines" because it's not. But that's not a bad thing. It's actually a very good thing.

Is Carnival a "trashy" cruise line? No. Trashy and budget minded are two different things. But because they attract a broader sliver of the population, that means that they will get some cruisers, even if it's a small percentage, that give the cruise line a bad name. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2. On this board, you will see big discussions on how far can you dress sloppy, and get away with it. Using the terms, I am wearing "classy" flip flops, and "cute" shorts.

I couldn't agree more on this point.

7. It is a known fact that Carnival "restricts" their unlimited package, because of abuse, but other cruise lines have true unlimited packages since they trust their guest.

Cruise is cheaper, therefore they want to bleed a little extra out of you. Right or wrong its a money making tactic

8. It is known fact, that Carnival clogs up the gangway, to get your picture, and creates long lines, in order to get extra money, while other cruise lines actually let you walk off the ship, without this intrusion.

This annoyed me to know end!! But some people like this, and buy a lot of pictures, so it makes the cruise line money, and reduces rates.

9. It is a know fact, that Carnival ships, have the gawdiest interiors, while other cruise lines keep it simple.

I can't compare to other cruise lines, but I kind of like the "tacky" interior and over the top decoration. It's fun to me.

I enjoy my carnival cruise. We book RCCL for our next cruise to try something different next year. Since we are not willing to fly to get on a cruise ship at this point and Baltimore being only a 3.5 hour drive for us these RCCL and Carnival's are our only choices for at least the next 5 years. After our youngest is 5, and our oldest is 10 we will venture out and maybe take a super vacation, few days at Disney, and a cruise. But until then....we will probably alternate between Carnival and RCCL out of Baltimore. I am sold on cruises as being a great value for a Family vacation.

My wife's grandparents are very wealthy. They are "vacation snobs" They hit several high priced vacations a year, probably spending between 40 to 50k a year on vacations. They have cruised many different cruise lines, and guess which cruise line they hit more often? Carnival. They hated Disney, and they dropped a large amount of cash for the best room on the ship. The grandmothers words when I asked them if they would cruise with Disney in future "never again".

Edited by aaron3219

While I definitely agree that you get what you pay for, I take offense to those who use the word trashy to desccribe people who cruise on Carnival. We are a family of six and definitely cannot afford some of the higher end cruise lines with all of us. Yes, we are blue collar workers.

I have a Masters degree in special education and I do not listen to Jimmy Buffett!

Edited by diamondcharl

I take offense to those who use the word trashy to desccribe people who cruise on Carnival.

Read post #30. Even if you were the epitome of class, you shouldn't take offense because some of your fellow cruisers may not be. If someone traveling on the same cruise ship could be described as "trashy", that doesn't mean that you're too.

Edited by Tapi

Some people are confused.

Money does not equal class or intelligence.

The details on the ship that Tapi described sound lovely.

And I would appreciate fine china and laundry in wicker baskets.

There are a lot of things I would like if money grew on trees.

But I am content with Carnival.

I see it for what it is and it is enough.

A lounge chair in the shade with a good view of the sea, a good book, a glass of tea and someone else cooking dinner is luxury to me.:)

It's fun reading these comments. First, I'm not ignorant. Second, I'm not a snob. Third, I have been on multiple Carnival ships. So let's get to the point.....

1. On this board, you will find people asking about smuggling everyday for Carnival.

A look at some other boards (RCCL AND NCL especially) also have this frequenting their boards.

Agree with this but I think its due to Carnival not enforcing it unlike other places

3. It is a known fact, that Carnival is known as the "poop" cruise.

Only to the US, and this is more media hype than anything else

4. It is a known fact, that Carnival has removed most live entertainment while others have increased theirs.

This is more of a value issue than a trashy issue (however I think most music based cruise shows are awful on msot lines). Carnival are also the only cruise line I have discovered so far to offer daily comedy.

5. It is a known fact, that Carnival has downgraded their dining experience while other lines have upgraded theirs

I hear the American menu is a on a freeze and I also hear NCL have stopped with various upscale seafood dishes.

6. It is a known fact, that Carnival has "upgraded" their ships, by adding more rooms, and adding a hamburger stand, while other cruises lines, have completely redesigned their ships from scratch, making a different cruise experience on each class, and giving "families" variety to keep coming back.

I think that due to budgeting this is more of business decision to keep costs down, theres also the refurbished sunshine that is a very different look for Carnival.

It is my understanding the photo cruise business is very present on a lot of big scale lines and not just Carnival.

Again this is due to the age of ships, If you look at the non Farcus ships that have been built/refurbished recently they have a very different look and show the direction of general taste.

So when the comments come up that Carnival is thrashy, why argue it, and justify it is not? Just embrace the fact it is, and move on. Don't defend it.

I think they key here is that Carnival is budget and not trashy. They are a cost conscious cruise line for those that prefer to spend less on their cruise. Because of that price point you will get 'ruffians' as I jokingly call them but trashy as whole brand is harsh.

Sometimes I wonder if people secretly want to try Carnival and save money but worried about what some of their friends will say.

Eh. :)

Unfortunately, many say bad things about cruise lines on which they have never cruised. :o

LuLu

This. My Sister and Brother-in-law have decided RCL is the "better" cruise line and wouldn't think about going on my beloved Carnival. They have never been on a Carnival cruise. They just buy into all that hype without even trying it.

It drives me crazy. Every time there is an "incident" my sister is emailing me the info and saying see? its Carnival.

so, when there's any trouble on board an RCl ship, I do the same.

Always some kind of rivalry.

But, I'm older and smarter.. lol

Well said!! I searched for a cruise not just the ship itself but the ports it is stopping at. We have done Western Caribbean twice both with different ports except Cozumel. The reason we chose Glory was the itinerary. I'm really excited about it. Also trashy or classless people are everywhere and some of them have a lot of money and you wouldn't know it. I like when the cruises interact with the their customers. Its gets everyone involved and you enjoy yourselves more with laughter. And we love the towel animals! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I've been on a few cruises now and one of the funnest things I enjoy is people watching. I love to see families walking together exploring the ship, the kids all excited and the parents looking around them with amazement. I love to see the gaggles of young women dressed to the nines with a "look at me" attitude, ready to rock the ship. I love to see the crowds of young men, beers in hand, loud and laughing and stopping to stare at the gaggles of young women. There's always the couples, young and old, walking together exploring and enjoying each other's company. I've seen the trashy people spoken of here, but there aren't many of them. The trashy people are good for a laugh and make for great people watching. The rest of the passengers, the majority of them, are normal joes like you and me.

Well said!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Funny how some think. Willing to pay an extra $500 for so called extras. But how many times are you going to use the extras. $500 seams alot to go bowling and/or ice skating.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

Is that all you get for the extra money??:eek:

Bill

Both of my sisters can't believe we are sailing on Carnival. According to them "carnival doesn't maintain their ships; if they did they wouldn't have the problems they have". I just smile and nod, and think they are the ones missing out. Of course neither have ever been on a cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was actually booked on a Norwegian cruise last year. A friend of mine and her family took their cruise several months before mine, and when they got back, they told me that they will NEVER take a Norwegian cruise again. It was boring, nothing going on, a lot of older people, and everyone seemed to be in bed by 10:00 PM. I took the hint and changed my cruise back to Carnival. So if people want to think that it's only "trashy" people going on Carnival let them. It gives us more room on the Carnival ships!

So far I have only taken three cruises, two NCL & one RCCL. I have picked these cruises based on a mixture of ship, itinerary & price. I'm currently looking at booking the Carnival Glory because of the itinerary & honestly it's not much cheaper at all compared to what I paid for any of my other three cruises (two of them being newer ships - Epic & Breakaway).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Who cares?

We've cruised with all of those cruise lines, & although we loved Princess, we also loved Carnival, & preferred Carnival 12 to 1 (# of times we've cruised them).

So who cares what others think about your own vacation?

Although my neighbors' Lexus is good for his family, I love my Corvette!

It's a Chevy, but it blows the doors off his over-priced Lexus anyday...

(Just an analogy, don't flame me, Lexus owners...)

And I love my Mustang and bet I paid a lot less than your Corvette or that Lexus :D:p. Having said that we also own an Impala, Expedition, Taurus, and Caravan. To each his own. We like to try all lines. Just like we are flexible with car brands. We have enjoyed all of our cruises...some more so than others (Note that the majority of our cruises have been on Carnival...DH's favorite). Same with our cars. We have enjoyed a variety of brands over the years but some we just like better than the others (Ford;)...again DH's favorite).

Each time we vacation we take a look at what is available on all lines for the time period we can cruise....just like when we need a new car we take a look at what is available across brands at that time. We then choose the one that best fits our needs and wants at that time....which changes everytime we look. I never understood the brand loyal mentality, either in cars or in cruises. While I think it is ok to have a preference on what you like, I like to keep an open mind to other options. IMHO brand loyality is just limiting yourself unnecessarily....You don't know if you would like until you try it yourself is a motto I live by.

Again I love carnival. But there is a reason they get the walmart of the sea nickname. Lets face it most of carnivals shows depends on audience participation to make the show and really cost carnival nothing to produce.

I think this statement says it all about Carnival. I've been on many other cruise lines, but there was always something...missing on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity that Carnival was able to hit.

This is it. Carnival does something to bring the passengers together much better than the other lines. It says something about the cruise director and his staff that does that. It costs them nothing extra to do this, but personally for me, this kind of personal touch with fellow passengers as well as the staff, creates a unique vacation that allows me to relax way more than other cruises.

Of course,this is also dependent on ship size, because the larger the ship, it becomes much harder to pull passengers together like a family. Imagine trying to pull together 5500+ people on an Oasis class ship. Probably impossible, but 2000 passengers on a Spirit class? Probably doable. Its probably why Carnival has not built larger ships, as the Dream class is almost 1/2 the size of the oasis class.

Not to say that the other cruises are bad. Far from it. This is Carnival's niche. If this is important to you, then Carnival is your line, but if other things are more important (like "classiness" or "upscale") than Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, or other lines are more your speed. Its not for everyone, but Carnival tries to be something for everyone, and that's probably due to the fact that they are the lowest priced cruise line. It becomes a line that doesn't have a real niche, but its cheap, and available to all.

I always tell people that cruises are what you make of it. There is plenty to do on a Carnival ship on sea days and I prefer to spend as much time in port as possible on port days. If you don't have fun, you aren't trying. Yes there are cruise lines with more "high end" things to eat, activities to do, and rooms to sleep in but they cost an arm and a leg. Carnival gives me the fun and relaxing vacation I need at a reasonable rate.

Sounds like the typical example of one of those people who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

I like that....well stated

Edited by Spudder

I cruise for itinerary so I will book with the cheapest cruise line that has the places I want to go. So I've always cruised Carnival. I can afford the more expensive cruise lines but to me I rather pay less so that I can cruise more.

I agree that Carnival's entertainment is lacking. It is getting to the point where I rarely go to the evening shows anymore.

I would love to cruise Royal Carribean and plan to soon because I hear their shows are top notch.

It's not say I get bored on Carnival. I don't. I love going to the trivia games and love the comedy club.