People thinking cheap means trashy if you go on a carnival cruise

ckhappy

Anyone else ever get the urge to wear a Funship Freddy funnel hat onboard while cruising another line or is it just me that gets those urges? :D

I know someone who just retired their Funnel hat and replaced it with a Viking Horn hat. Damn that smoking fiasco.

Anyone else ever get the urge to wear a Funship Freddy funnel hat onboard while cruising another line or is it just me that gets those urges? :D

Well, a certain company representative gets annoyed when seeing a Royal Caribbean shirt being worn by a guest on Carnival Cruise Lines.

We'll be taking our fifth Carnival cruise next month. Before our first one in 2010, people kept telling us that we made a terrible choice because Carnival is the 'low budget' line. Although I have nothing to compare it to, I can say that our vacations have been everything we had hoped they would be. If I had to come up with anything negative to say, it would simply be that we wish they would change the show line up. We ended up seeing the same productions each time, but solved that problem by going to the comedy lounge or checking out other happenings on board. The staff works incredibly hard to ensure we have a good time and Kirk Benning is a cruise director like no other. For the fare we paid, I believe we got a tremendous bargain. I would not hesitate to recommend the Carnival Pride our of Baltimore, MD.

I have reached a point/age in life where I dont give a good rip anymore what anyone thinks about me, or about the cruiseline I go with:p

Please put me on the same bus. I to no longer give a rat's arse what anybody thinks.

Edited by Fla Senior

All the people I know who trash Carnival have never sailed Carnival. They go off of second and third hand information, usually originating from "A friend of a friend of a friend" who had a bad cruise with CCL.

Same situation for the people I know as well. I've met a lot of cruisers who have 50+ cruises with multiple cruise lines, and you know they keep coming back to Carnival for most of their cruises because it's a good value for your money. Many have told us that the food is so similar on cruise lines that it doesn't really matter, but Carnival really is more about the fun factor. Hubby and I aren't into rock climbing and such, so we wouldn't pay more for a ship that offers such amenities. The only thing we've heard that makes us want to try other cruise lines is NCL has better shows and we do love to go to the shows so we some day if the price/port/sale date works out for us we'll give them a try.

I even have family who refuse to sail on Carnival because of the perceived reputation. Oh well, they can spend 3 times as much money for a cruise on a ship where they do nothing but sit around reading and explore the same exact ports Carnival visits. I'll just take more cruises for the same amount of money and explore even more ports =)

Having cruises a variety of lines, Carnival is definitely a budget/value line. That said, it is still my preferred choice for traveling with young children. Their camps are leaps and bounds ahead of the others.

Nonetheless, the difference between them and other lines is the small details. From food quality, linens, rooms sizes, lounge chairs. Etc. on Carnival it is all very basic and catering to the masses. The food is pretty tragic (think Guy Fieri) but when traveling with a group, one tends to not be as concerned.

Overall, nothing has trumped Celebrity and Seabourn, but if you don't notice or care about such details, then it's not worth the extra money. (I prefer them when traveling with girlfriends or husband).

The people watching on Carnival is spectacular! Can't wait for my next one in 40 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having cruises a variety of lines, Carnival is definitely a budget/value line. That said, it is still my preferred choice for traveling with young children. Their camps are leaps and bounds ahead of the others.

Nonetheless, the difference between them and other lines is the small details. From food quality, linens, rooms sizes, lounge chairs. Etc. on Carnival it is all very basic and catering to the masses. The food is pretty tragic (think Guy Fieri) but when traveling with a group, one tends to not be as concerned.

Overall, nothing has trumped Celebrity and Seabourn, but if you don't notice or care about such details, then it's not worth the extra money. (I prefer them when traveling with girlfriends or husband).

The people watching on Carnival is spectacular! Can't wait for my next one in 40 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't really sailed on celebrity celebrity or seabourn but comparing carnival to the cruise lines I have sailed on including Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian, the cabins are larger and the entertainment more varied on carnival ships. The showroom shows on the other cruise lines were for the most part better than Carnivals but they didn't have enough karaoke and no comedy club so once the main show was over pretty much you're done for the night. Also I prefer the food on carnival. Some of my favorite foods on Carnival Cruise Lines include lobster, escargot, oysters rockefeller, baby back ribs, filet mignon with eggs for brunch, Bitter & Blanc ( a white and dark chocolate bread pudding), and Grand Marnier souffle. People misleadingly report that Carnival Cruise Line serves burgers and fries but fail to report that just like the entertainment the menu is quite varied.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I'll oblige: I want the extra space and amenities of the suite - more storage space, more bathroom space, more balcony space, more space; the whirlpool tub is nice too, the dual sink vanity, the dressing room area in the walk-thru closet. I know what I'm getting: just a Carnival suite with no perks - nothing like our GS on RCI earlier this year. But I'm not paying anyway near what I paid for that GS for our Carnival VS.

Oh, and for the record, I don't think that the Vista Suite (Aft-Wrap Balcony Suite) on Carnival Pride is "a product that is not substantially different than most of their balcony rooms". I see plenty of difference and am willing to pay the price difference.:cool:

Just because we are cruising on a budget line for this particular cruise doesn't mean we have to stay in the most budget accommodations.;) It's nice to have options.

PS: Sometimes we cruise a budget line to be with friends and/or family, but we still want a nice, roomy cabin (suite). I hope this all helps you understand at least one Carnival suite cruiser's motivation.:)

Totally agree with everything you said! We also like having the extra space in an OS or GS. And Carnival's bathrooms in suites are much nicer than some other lines - we were on a 4-day RCL cruise in May and were is a JS on the Vision of the Seas. Only one sink, very little storage and the tiles and finishes were nowhere near as nice as the OS/GS bathrooms on Carnival. My cruising partner is my mom and with two women sharing a bathroom, its so great having double sinks and tons of storage for all our crap (well, mostly mine:D) We also really like having the dressing area and the walk in closet. Carnival's OS/GS finishes are well up to par with other more expensive lines (I've traveled on RCL and HAL) and the prices are usually better. And while we had tons of perks on our HAL cruise to Alaska, we found we didn't really want or need most of them, and actually preferred Carnival's more informal atmosphere.

I've said it before: the last thing I feel obligated to do is justify how and why I spend my vacation dollar with a particular company.

I've cruised on just about every major cruise line, and can I assure you, trashiness is NOT indigenous to Carnival – it's just hides behind fake diamonds and a wanna-be nose-in-the-air attitude.

At the risk and almost certainly havering my words twisted to meet someone else's motivation .. Carnival is the low budget line on the seas and yes they attract a low budget crowd . That does not mean that the avg cruiser is bad or somehow less than someone else it's just a different social economic set. That's not saying that all / most poor or living pay check to paycheck it just where most people are in there life.

To say people who cruise ccl , x or seabourn are better or worse , class or no class , snooty or fun lovin. Is well in my option ridiculous

Different people tend to hand with like minded people in the pursuit of fun

I was actually booked on a Norwegian cruise last year. A friend of mine and her family took their cruise several months before mine, and when they got back, they told me that they will NEVER take a Norwegian cruise again. It was boring, nothing going on, a lot of older people, and everyone seemed to be in bed by 10:00 PM. I took the hint and changed my cruise back to Carnival. So if people want to think that it's only "trashy" people going on Carnival let them. It gives us more room on the Carnival ships!

I recently took a Disney Cruise. The only bad side that I experienced was the lack of the more fun crowd. When we went to the bars and clubs, they were dead. We could have used what some people have referred to the "trashy" crowd

I recently took a Disney Cruise. The only bad side that I experienced was the lack of the more fun crowd. When we went to the bars and clubs, they were dead. We could have used what some people have referred to the "trashy" crowd

But I bet you liked the baby lamb chops, jumbo shrimp and crab legs on Disney, I know I did!

Not all people that sail on Carnival are trashy, just like not all people that sail on more upscale cruise lines are classy. One of the things that caught my attention about our cruise on Holland America last summer was that the passenger mix seemed to be very similar to what we've found on more budget conscious cruise lines, and yes, that included some "trashy" people! :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know what you mean. This summer cruised on celebrity. There were people that looked like they spent most of their free time at the country club and typically vacation at their summer home in the Hamptons (not that there is anything wrong with that) but most of the people seemed like your every day Joe. I didn't see anyone that I would have considered "trashy" a.k.a. what you see on the "People of Walmart" site. Most of them were the same people I would imagine seeing on Carnival on a 7 day cruise. (Of course free drink package they threw in did not hurt).

Me, I like a bargain. If I can get the exact same brand of paper towels or detergent at Walmart for $1 cheaper than I can at the grocery store, I will go to Walmart. At the same, I am willing to pay more for quality, if that is what matters. But more money does not always mean better quality.

Cruise lines offer different things. Our celebrity cruise was more per person (granted we were in an AQ balcony) than the price for all 3 of us on our October cruise. BUT we had a nicer room. Better food. Quieter and more romantic atmosphere. Drink package. I was looking for a more refined trip with DH as a couple. By contrast, in October, I was just looking at cruise prices for fun and found a great deal. We had not planned on taking another cruise, but the price was right. Its all about what you want and the value for the money.

Edited by cruzinlisa

Trashy? I don't see it. Budget yes, but not trashy. Our favorite is Disney, but typically they are 2.5 to 3 times the cost of cruising on Carnival. We have and will continue to cruise on Carnival. The value for the money is definitely there with Carnival and we have a fantastic time each time we cruise with Carnival. As far as what others think, I agree with others in previous post, I am past the point in my life where I am concerned with what others think of me or what I do.

Of course, I did find it quite humorous to listen to peoples "sage" advice after the Carnival Triumph incident. I know that the whole Triumph incident wasn't funny in any way, shape or form, but listening to people go on and on about why they would never cruise, especially with Carnival, was hilarious.

You see a completely different clientele on a CCL 12-day Med. (though they aren't currently running any European cruises) than you do on a 3-day CCL Bahamas run.

There are obviously different offerings from line to line regarding entertainment, food, etc., but, personally, between Carnival, RCCL and NCL, I find the differences that matter to me vary more dependent upon the itinerary, season, ship, and length of cruise than on the cruise lines themselves.

Of course, that's dependent, as well, on which amenities and entertainment offerings you take advantage of. (I'm neither going on the rock-climbing wall on RCCL, nor on the ropes course available on the CCL Sunshine, nor am I going bowling or ice skating.)

The Carnival Miracle was my first cruise in 2004, and since then I've sailed on Costa, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian & Disney, plus a few other Carnival ships.

My take on it is that since the recession hit in 2008, cruise TICKET prices really haven't increased that much. So, to keep the bottom line in the black cruise lines have increased prices on things that you always had to pay extra for such as drinks, photos & spa as well as started charging or eliminating things that were complimentary.

I was on the Carnival Legend last month, had a great cruise, but compared to the first one ten years ago its definitely a different scene. I still liked it, had a great time and ate well!

We've been on CCL, NCL and RCI. We took our first CCL last year and I have another booked for 2016. We really liked Carnival and didn't find much difference between all 3 lines. RCI was the most expensive yet the only thing that was worth that price was the ship and only because it had a lot of things to do on sea days like the climbing wall and wave rider. We really liked the Valor and I would have booked another cruise on her but didn't want to have to fly to San Juan. We did the repositioning to San Juan on her and it was one of my favorite if not my most favorite cruise.

Another thing I like about CCL is their choice of ports. We want to cruise out of NOLA in 2016 but didn't want to do the typical Western Caribbean ports two years in a row. Our 2016 cruise hits Key West which we've never been to and Nassau and Freeport. I know most people don't care for those 2 ports but my DH and I like them. I see us choosing CCL and RCI more in the future because we don't necessarily want to fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale because of the cost of airfare although after our 2016 cruise we will be relocating further South so will be able to drive to most East coast ports, YAY!

I am going on my first Carnival cruise in 3 weeks. I went on my very first cruise to Alaska on Princess last summer. That cruise was anything but stuffy. Just saying. We went during July 4rth and there were tons of families. I booked that cruise 2 months in advance and got that for $399. I'm going to eastern Caribbean and it cost us $429 - so more for Carnival than Princess. It's even cheaper now ...at $319. But that's the gamble you take. Saphire Princess was a gorgeous ship and the food was incredible. In fact I had one of the best meals of my LIFE in Sabatini's that cruise. Plus there was so much going on each nite you just couldn't do it all. It got me hooked on cruising and I can not WAIT to see Carnival Freedom. I mean think about it. 8 day cruise for $429.. that's $53 a day for place to sleep, food and entertainment. Plus all the ports you see. If you don't have a great time ..... it's your own fault :) And trashy means different things to different people. Some people think red lipstick is trashy. I'll be the one wearing it :)