People thinking cheap means trashy if you go on a carnival cruise

ckhappy

I strongly disagree with this statement in general. Although there are some elements about cruising that are similar across cruise lines, I consider the differences to be pretty substantial. It's like saying that a stay at the Hampton Inn is similar to a stay at the Westin because both deliver a place to sleep, food, a pool, gym, and parking.

Whether someone NOTICES the differences is a completely different matter. If you're someone who is satisfied with the more basic needs, then yes, all cruise lines will seem similar because all of them deliver the most basic needs well. But if you're someone more discerning and detail oriented, the differences become more apparent.

For example, when we sailed on Holland America last year, initially I didn't think that the differences were that noticeable either. I kept asking myself "Where's this "Signature of Excellence" that they talk about??" That is, until my well traveled, very discerning, 74 year old mother started pointing out the white gloved service, the room service delivered in china, the laundry wrapped in tissue paper and gold foil and delivered in a wicker basket, the daily fresh flowers in the cabin and throughout the ship, the full dining room menu available in-cabin, the quality of the linens, the added throw blankets for balcony use, the fully stocked library, the non-intrusive announcements, and even the brand of china used in the main dining room.

This list consisted of things that I didn't care much for, but for those that care, the differences are HUGE. Same goes with other cruise lines. Even though I often read how Carnival and Royal are so similar, I consider the differences between these two cruise lines to be huge. But I do care about the things that make these two different. Others may not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh, and HAL's Room Service for Breakfast with hot Omeletes, Eggs, etc.! ;)

Edited by idiebabe

Being discerning with how you spend your money does not make you cheap or trashy. Low rates may make cruises more accessible to those who may stretch, but it's ultimately how people value their dollar that defines the mix of passengers.

While I have consistently gotten a better price for value from Carnival, that is not the reason I continue sailing with them. If I or indeed any of the people who cruise with carnival wished to cruise with another cruise line they could do so. The prices are not that different. It's all a matter of priorities. When it comes down to it, there is really not that much difference between people whether they work in a blue-collar position or as an executive. And I have found there to be pretty much a mix of both on any cruise I've been on. That might not be the case if I took cruises that cost $10,000 or more for the least expensive room on the ship. Quite frankly I think it would be incredibly stupid to spend my money in that fashion. In a world where there are people starving and living in misery I would be ashamed to be so conspicuous in my consumption.

I had to work my way through school many years ago and I'm not ashamed to say that I bought many of my clothes at a second hand shop while I was in college. I had an older woman once tell me, " dear you need to dress with more class so that you can attract a good husband like for instance a doctor to marry". I had different priority's than this woman. Instead of marrying a doctor I became one. Funny thing is, the faded blue jeans I used to buy from the second hand shop now cost an incredibly large amount of money from the mall!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

While I have consistently gotten a better price for value from Carnival, that is not the reason I continue sailing with them. If I or indeed any of the people who cruise with carnival wished to cruise with another cruise line they could do so. The prices are not that different. It's all a matter of priorities. When it comes down to it, there is really not that much difference between people whether they work in a blue-collar position or as an executive. And I have found there to be pretty much a mix of both on any cruise I've been on. That might not be the case if I took cruises that cost $10,000 or more for the least expensive room on the ship. Quite frankly I think it would be incredibly stupid to spend my money in that fashion. In a world where there are people starving and living in misery I would be ashamed to be so conspicuous in my consumption.

I had to work my way through school many years ago and I'm not ashamed to say that I bought many of my clothes at a second hand shop while I was in college. I had an older woman once tell me, " dear you need to dress with more class so that you can attract a good husband like for instance a doctor to marry". I had different priority's than this woman. Instead of marrying a doctor I became one. Funny thing is, the faded blue jeans I used to buy from the second hand shop now cost an incredibly large amount of money from the mall!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Like. I came from a family that was below the poverty line and what some here would consider "white trash" because we lived in a trailer park. My Dad was a cattle truck driver and my Mom a SAHM who sewed doll clothes to make extra money. They divorced when I was 12 so I also came from a divided home as well. DH came from a strictly blue collar home where everyone took factory jobs right out of high school and made enough to be considered middle class. I graduated top of my class and worked 3 part time jobs to put myself through college and get my MBA, with no help from my parents. I've worked my way up to where I am now as the finance executive at my company. DH got a job at a factory after graduation and will be there 30 years next year. We waited to get married (dated 3 1/2 years) until I got my Bachelors degree. We delayed having kids until we were married 5 years to let me get my MBA and get my career started. By the statistics, our family is now making above what is considered middle class (I think of it as upper middle class as I do not consider us upper class). We have one child in college that we are paying for from our 529, another in high school with the money put away for her college. Our only debt is a mortgage with just a couple years left on it. We have savings for retirement, repairs, replacement cars, etc. My bonuses are what we use for vacations. They are usually big enough now for us to plan 2-3 vacations per year with any extra going to remodel our house that we built 24 years ago.

We could choose to sail anyline we wanted to. We don't always choose to sail Carnival as we are sometimes looking for something different out of our vacation. But the majority of the time when we do choose Carnival it is because they would give us the best value out of the ships we have narrowed down to that offer what we want for that vacation. Just because we have the money to spend, doesn't mean we like to spend it foolishly. We got to where we are by working hard, saving, and managing what we spend. We have had great family vacations on Carnival ships. We are not cheap, but we are budget minded. We are not trashy, but we do like to have fun on our vacation. We don't have to choose to Carnival in order to be able to cruise, but we do choose Carnival for the value it gives to us when we do cruise.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Uh what? :eek:

I'm 67 and I don't speak rudely to anyone. The only time the DH and I "let 'er rip" is when we're on the dance floor! So don't be dis'n us oldies but goodies! LOL! :)

If you young ones are lucky...you too will be oldies someday. ;)

Don't worry, you still have plenty of time to get there. :D

I think the guy is hilarious...I you don't like him you don't have to read what he writes. :confused:

I'll never understand why a public company is happy to allow that to continue. There are so many companies where he would be terminated on the spot for bad deportment.