Pre-paid Gratuities

palermo22

We are on one of those cruises where one of the promotions is pre-paid gratuities. In looking at the other threads I see where they charge 18% gratuities for drinks - is that included in the pre-paid gratuities?

So everything I have read does not spell that out. May I ask what your reference is?

If you're looking for the legalese, as to why "free gratuities" don't cover the tips on your bar bill, this is it (I've inserted the Bold):

"such fares do not include optional charges as detailed in the Guest Ticket Contract, which may be viewed, along with additional terms, at OceaniaCruises.com "

Edited by StanandJim

the pre paid gratuity only includes the daily rate

What is your gratuity policy?

For sailings prior to the 2013-14 Winter season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $14.50 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $20.50 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

For sailings beginning with the 2013-14 Winter season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $15.00 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $22.00 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

check under shipboard services

other T & C's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx

Edited by LHT28

I wasn't looking for an argument or to make a federal case out of this - I just could not find where it was spelled out - and to be honest I still don't see it. Just because x amount of cruisers paid the 18% bar gratuity - does not mean that from here on out it must be correct. And what is quoted in bold does not do it for me. "Such fares do not include optional charges.................." - that bold sentence in no way spells out that bar gratuities are not included when pre-paid gratuities are included in one's promotion.

Another point to consider is that the prepaid (i.e 18% gratuity) IS covered within the daily cost of the Beverage Packages.

Therefore, if you buy a Package, or if it was another perquisite included on your Cruise, then the per drink gratuity is a moot point.

Edited by StanandJim

Do you think we -- the x amount of cruisers to which you refer -- have all been charged incorrectly?

If you really don't want to make a federal case of it (which it already is) why not just take our word for it? Included gratuities does not include your bar tab gratuities.

Sometimes you just won't find a practice reduced to an unequivocal writing. It just is what it is.

if you are not clear you should ask your TA or Oceania for clarification

In the past the PPG only include the dining staff & the housekeeping staff

bar staff are not included in the daily rate

YMMD

the pre paid gratuity only includes the daily rate

What is your gratuity policy?

For sailings prior to the 2013-14 Winter season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $14.50 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $20.50 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

For sailings beginning with the 2013-14 Winter season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $15.00 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $22.00 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

check under shipboard services

other T & C's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx

Just wondering if you have read what you are quoting? No where does it spell out what prepaid gratuities include. In fact, prepaid gratuities is not even mentioned. Look, you may be correct (and probably are) but I would like to see where the policy is spelled out. Something like: "for those guests having the promotion of prepaid gratuities - this only pertains to the wait staff and housekeeping for your cabin - it does not any other services on the ship".

Just wondering if you have read what you are quoting? No where does it spell out what prepaid gratuities include. In fact, prepaid gratuities is not even mentioned. Look, you may be correct (and probably are) but I would like to see where the policy is spelled out. Something like: "for those guests having the promotion of prepaid gratuities - this only pertains to the wait staff and housekeeping for your cabin - it does not any other services on the ship".

I agree it is not spelled out... best to contact Oceania & have them put it in writing for you

perhaps the "powers that be" will have it added to the T& C's so that it is all spelled out for those receiving the PPG

It is not something that anyone will convince you of :rolleyes:

Lyn

It is correct and I and everyone else who has answered can attest to this. Gratuities for housekeeping and wait staff; 18% for drinks, the spa. As Laraine put it, over 200 cruises for the posters here. I've been sailing since 2003 and this is how it is. But of course you can always checks with O or your TA. Arlene

It is correct and I and everyone else who has answered can attest to this. Gratuities for housekeeping and wait staff; 18% for drinks, the spa. As Laraine put it, over 200 cruises for the posters here. I've been sailing since 2003 and this is how it is. But of course you can always checks with O or your TA. Arlene

To be fair, Arlene, I understand Palermo's logic.

The fact that we have all paid those gratuities, does not necessarily mean that it is impossible that they were assessed in error.

However, the specific exclusion of Optional Charges from being covered by the Promotion seems to be the very crux of his inquiry.

If a cocktail isn't optional (outside of an all inclusive environment), I don't know what would be.

Edited by StanandJim

If a cocktail isn't optional (outside of an all inclusive environment), I don't know what would be.

What's that you say, on a cruise a cocktail is optional?!?

"What rascal has been putting pineapple juice in my pineapple juice?"

th?&id=HN.608044108093917664&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

That's not just an O thing, I believe if you check around it is common lingo for this type of promotion.

I have sailed other lines in the past and been given free pre-paid gratuities as a promotion, and it has always been the daily room gratuity surcharge that is put on your bill, and has never included the gratuity on extra/optional charges you make onboard.

Possibly it is in the wording of "free pre-paid gratuities" that describes it. Your room gratuity charges are automatic and placed daily onto your account, in essence a given charge that will be levied on you, and the promotion is offering to pre-pay them for free for you. It would not be possible to pre-pay gratuities that are not a given, but merely a possibility and a thought.

As others have said, it just is. I have it as a perk on my next sailing, and am happy for it.

The status of the cocktail aside, both "Optional" and "Suggested" are important words to explore.

The "prepaid gratuities" that O offers covers the suggested gratuities for the wait staff and cabin stewards. The charge will appear on your final invoice and an equal amount will be deducted. Should you decide to increase the suggested amount, they will not cover your generosity. A certain $ amount is budgeted for your prepaid gratuities. Adding tips for drinks or spa treatments would fall outside that budgeted amount.

It's still a darn good perk. And, if you cruise with O enough times, you get it for every cruise.

Marilyn

Palermo22, I wish to add that it really is not only Housekeeping and Wait staff as it is shared among those who make your cruise experience on Oceania exceptional, meaning those who you don't meet face-to-face, such as cooks, laundry, and I could go on and on. On O, the amount of gratuity barely meets what an excellent vacation you receive due to the "behind the lines" staff.

The reason that the bar staff add the 18% is that there are those who chose not to partake of the bar, thus they receive gratuities from those who use these services.

If you feel this is unfair, then you have the option to have the auto gratuity removed, but you will certainly deprive those who are not on the "front lines" of being recognized for their excellent service to your experience. I am sure that you do not want that.

Edited by spindrift

...Just because x amount of cruisers paid the 18% bar gratuity - does not mean that from here on out it must be correct...

I can't quite understand why you bothered to ask on this forum -- what kind of answer did you expect?

I can't quite understand why you bothered to ask on this forum -- what kind of answer did you expect?

Wow - out of all the responses yours makes no sense at all! Where would you expect me to ask this question? What kind of answer did I expect? Definitely not yours! This is my first time on Oceania and obviously I have never received prepaid gratuities. So I asked on what I perceived was the correct forum.

I like to order coffee in bed early every morning. Should I be tipping the server each day, at the start/end of the cruise, or would this be covered by pre-paid gratuities? Would like to follow standard practice.

If it is brought by different people each morning a small tip of $2 is probably OK. If, however, you have a butler no need to tip each time just a nice tip eat the end of your cruise based on how much you ask of him..

I like to order coffee in bed early every morning. Should I be tipping the server each day, at the start/end of the cruise, or would this be covered by pre-paid gratuities? Would like to follow standard practice.

There is no need to tip anyone during your cruise. That would be true if your gratuities were pre paid or not. If at the end of the cruise there is someone who has performed extraordinary service for you throughout, you MIGHT want to give a tip. It is certainly not required.

EG -- if the same person brought you your room service coffee for the entire cruise and you might want to give a small tip at the end. Personally, I would not tip for room service. Wait staff is covered by prepaids and /or paid gratuities.

I tip the baristas. They make a whole lotta lattes for me to my specifications.