What Carnival & Royal ships are equals?

BLAMBKY

The problem with the so called 'amusement park' description is that out of 21 Royal ships in service only 6 have flow riders and less than half have ice rinks. You're basing your opinion of entire cruise line on less than half the ships.

Edited by Big_G

I don't see the problem with having amusement parks on cruise ships. People like to do both. Some prefer one over the other. Hell, I wouldn't have a problem with a license plate factory on board, if people enjoyed stamping them out in their spare time.

I don't see the problem with having amusement parks on cruise ships. People like to do both. Some prefer one over the other. Hell, I wouldn't have a problem with a license plate factory on board, if people enjoyed stamping them out in their spare time.

Obviously there is an extreme market for it, as Royal Caribbean continues to pursue the interactive cruise experience. Sure, Carnival may enjoy providing guest provided entertainment with a smaller passenger to space ratio, but Royal Caribbean is looking to provide an experience that proves to be successful for those that enjoy their unique extras.

If the product that Royal Caribbean is looking to provide for their guests was a failure, they wouldn't continue to design and develop innovative ships that push the envelope and would eventually find themselves out of business.

Obviously there is an extreme market for it, as Royal Caribbean continues to pursue the interactive cruise experience. Sure, Carnival may enjoy providing guest provided entertainment with a smaller passenger to space ratio, but Royal Caribbean is looking to provide an experience that proves to be successful for those that enjoy their unique extras.

If the product that Royal Caribbean is looking to provide for their guests was a failure, they wouldn't continue to design and develop innovative ships that push the envelope and would eventually find themselves out of business.

I agree 100% and I question how honest some of the folks here are when they say they don't want and need the mall of the seas and the amusement park of the seas. Do they really feel that way, or are they just saying that while looking on enviously from the Carnival boards?

i cant comment on the Freedom class but the voyager class. i felt it a very inward ship with not many ways to get to see the water unless you have a balcony, or sit on the pool deck. the ship is designed to center focus on its royal promenade. i also could care less about all the amusement park rides, but i know the mass market likes them. i just dont understand why rcci is so much more money to cruise on than ccl?

i cant comment on the Freedom class but the voyager class. i felt it a very inward ship with not many ways to get to see the water unless you have a balcony, or sit on the pool deck. the ship is designed to center focus on its royal promenade. i also could care less about all the amusement park rides, but i know the mass market likes them. i just dont understand why rcci is so much more money to cruise on than ccl?

Cruise prices are determined by supply and demand so the higher prices Rci is getting is because people are willing to pay more for their product.

Even investors think the Rci product as their stock price was in the $61 range yesterday compared to Carnivals $38 a share

Bill

Cruise prices are determined by supply and demand so the higher prices Rci is getting is because people are willing to pay more for their product.

Even investors think the Rci product as their stock price was in the $61 range yesterday compared to Carnivals $38 a share

Bill

Stock prices are not a fair comparison! Carnival has a much larger market capacity then RCI.

How? Freedom of the Seas is a good 50,000 tons bigger than the Sunshine, and they layout and amenities can't compare.

To the OP, Carnival currently doesn't have any ships like the Freedom of the Seas. At 130,000 tons, the Dream class would be the closest, but the layout will be completely different. Do yourself a favor and don't try to find the ship closest to a Royal Caribbean ship. Instead, get ready for a new experience altogether. Although someone undoubtedly will chime in and say how Carnival and Royal are so similar, the differences are many. Both have their superlatives, and you'll know that you are no longer sailing on Royal the moment that you walk into a Carnival ship for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I read your posts a lot. I usually agree with you. What sort of activities does RCI have onboard ship and I mean Trivia wise. I have had several people tell me that there is not a lot to do on sea days if you don't sun, swim, rock climb, wave ride,, etc. True? Freedom of the Seas is a three house drive from me, and I am debating going this November. either Ruby Princess, which I know we love, but six and a half hour drive, while FOS.. three hours. We cruise on Carnival a lot from Port Canaveral, and when we boarded the Liberty in June......the FOS was there. It looks impressive.

I agree 100% and I question how honest some of the folks here are when they say they don't want and need the mall of the seas and the amusement park of the seas. Do they really feel that way, or are they just saying that while looking on enviously from the Carnival boards?

Or they are looking at the people who think they are better than everyone on Carnival.

Maybe RC will put a people mover on their next ship so I dont have to walk all over it because im way too fat and lazy to want to put myself through that.

The problem with the so called 'amusement park' description is that out of 21 Royal ships in service only 6 have flow riders and less than half have ice rinks. You're basing your opinion of entire cruise line on less than half the ships.

You are, of course, correct. However, the OP was asking which CCL ships are similar to FREEDOM OF THE SEAS – I should think that people using the amusement park description are only referring to those ships that have similar amenities.

No one ever said SOVEREIGN, VISION or RADIANCE class ships were floating amusement parks.

I'm a ship fanatic, and I love being at sea. When I went on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS, I didn't use the flowrider, rock climbing wall, boxing ring, ice skating rink, etc. That's not to say I'm against those types of things – they obviously have them because there are people who enjoy them – and I'm not saying that having those things made me not like my trip, because I had a great time..it was an wonderful vacation.

So, yes, there are people who are being straight up about not needing/wanting the mall of the seas-type amenities. For me, it has nothing to do with envy.

Honest engine.

I have always said when people ask to compare the 2 lines and IMHO they are more alike than different , but when it comes to ships RCI is way ahead and much better , now saying that I am not into those mega ships but do enjoy the voyager class very much love the added space of the Royal Promenade which Carnival has nothing to compare . We will spend hours down in that area if not in the Pubs just sitting and people watching or maybe talking to someone . Its such a fun area. Love the ice shows. Those size ships never seem crowded , sailed the Dream last year and it seemed packed all week. Always lines or crowds. Love Both lines will sail either one but if I had my choice would pick a voyager/freedom class ship any day of the week if the price was right .

It's interesting that we're comparing apples to oranges, and yet Carnival and RCI are each other's biggest competition, and many people – myself included – have no problem sailing on either one.

IMO, Carnival is better for those who simply like to cruise....i.e. those who like being at sea, the movement of the ship, the ports of call, the sunshine and breeze, and the interaction with fellow passengers. Royal Caribbean is more of a land-based vacation that just happens to be built on a ship. As cool as things like rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, flowriders, zip-lining, etc. are, they have NOTHING to do with the cruise experience and being at sea.

Instead of asking which ships in the Carnival fleet are similar to RCI's ships – the answer to which, BTW, is none – it might serve the OP better to know the differences between the type of experience each one offers.

I totally agree! Why not enjoy both lines. It's not a life-time commitment, you can switch back and forth!

Sorry - let's be real here.

You guys talk like Carnival is Holland America or something. How in the World can you say RCI is like an amusement park or a land based vacation and not say the same thing about Carnival with all the things Carnival is adding - like massive waterslides, 4D theaters, ropes courses, etc?

By the way, all those things you mentioned about RCI, other than the rock wall, do not exist on 3 classes of RCI ships, yet aren't waterslides on or being added to every single one of CCL's ship classes?

You can't act like Spirit Class is so nice and so much like "being at sea" and not say the exact same thing about Radiance or Vision Class. Likewise, you can't say Oasis or Freedom Class is like an amusement park and not say the same thing about Dream Class.

Thank you for pointing this out! I've been popping in and out reading this thread and keep shaking my head at the oft-repeated stereotype of RCI being an amusement park at sea.:rolleyes:

I have only cruised one RCI ship so far: Grandeur, but that ship wasn't even as much of an "amusement park" as Carnival Pride (one of Carnival's least amusement park-like ships). Although there was a rockwall (the views from the top of that amazing, BTW), it was very much a being-on-a-ship-at-sea experience for us. The only cruise that beat Grandeur for that feeling was Celebrity Mercury, and that only in subtle ways.

One shouldn't classify a whole cruise line based on a few features of just its few biggest, newest ships.

Considering the switch from Royal to Carnival and I would like to know which Carnival ship is comparable to Royal's Freedom of the Seas?

1 word answer: None.

With that being said check out any of the Carnival cruises with a Live Concert on board. Just make sure you enjoy who is playing.

Make sure that you are on a Triumph, Dream, or Conquest class ship.

Try to get a ship with the 2.0 upgrades. (Cant wait for mine)

Get to the punchliner comedy show early!

Don't fret over what the Carnival ships don't have. Make sure to enjoy what they do have.

I cant wait to try Guy's Burgers without the $4.95 cover at Johnny Rockets.:)

I love midnight room service w/o the $3.95 charge.:)

I like having the self service laundry to dry out bathing gear before packing to go home.:confused:

I love the 24 hour Pizzeria.:)

I like the Deli.:)

Things I Miss on RC:

No Ben and Jerry`s

No Ice Skating

No Flowrider love watching people wipeout. Even have the video of my wipeout.

No good theater show [based on last cruise]

I like both lines. It comes down to the right ship on the right dates at the right price to the right destinations.

I'm Platinum on both CCL and RCCL. Definitely like the RCCL ships better but also like the Fun as a single right now better on CCL.

RCCL pricing structure and itineraries really irritate me. Despite forcing you to pay a premium, they've got their own problems filling ships. See 98 Balconies on the Oasis remaining unsold sailing in less than 2 weeks to the Eastern Caribbean

I'm Platinum on both CCL and RCCL. Definitely like the RCCL ships better but also like the Fun as a single right now better on CCL.

RCCL pricing structure and itineraries really irritate me. Despite forcing you to pay a premium, they've got their own problems filling ships. See 98 Balconies on the Oasis remaining unsold sailing in less than 2 weeks to the Eastern Caribbean

RCI stated awhile back that they would rather not sail full then to compromise their pricing structure. this seems especially true on the Oasis and the Allure at least.

Carnival Corps CEO stated the same thing a few months ago but at this time I still see 7 day cruises under $300pp.

It irks me too as my sister wants to join us on the Ossis in November but she'd be a solo and it's $1500 just for an inside.

Bill

RCI stated awhile back that they would rather not sail full then to compromise their pricing structure. this seems especially true on the Oasis and the Allure at least.

Carnival Corps CEO stated the same thing a few months ago but at this time I still see 7 day cruises under $300pp.

It irks me too as my sister wants to join us on the Ossis in November but she'd be a solo and it's $1500 just for an inside.

Bill

Aren't there a couple of Oasis cruises this month under 500pp?

Yes $497 pp today and there are balconies that I've seen in last week for about 1,100 per cabin. RCCL will change their rates every couple of hours. You got to be ready to jump. Tell your sister to keep looking once it gets to October unless you are talking Thanksgiving which will always sail at a premium

Edited by Stallion

We were on the FOS as our first (and only, so far) RCCL cruise. The royal promenade is not comparitable to any CCL ship. No water slides, either. If you want the "WOW" factor, I would try Dream or Breeze. They are the newer, larger CCL ships, and will give you a good all-around taste of what Carnival has to offer. If you want a smaller ship, go with a conquest class ship, such as Liberty or Freedom or Conquest. Splendor and Sunshine are also good ships to try. I would make sure the ship you go on has the 2.0 upgrades. Many people love the slightly smaller Spirit class ships, while the Fantasy class are the smallest ships, but have the updated waterworks. I think the Royal entertainment was better than CCL, but that is probably because I was "carnivaled out" due to seeing the same shows on numerous ships. Comedy clubs and piano bar on CCL are usually pretty good. Give CCL a try if you find an itinerary and price you like. You can always go back to Royal!

While the Freedom does not have a water slide, it has a large children's water area that made me wish I were a kid again, and also a Flowrider.

Lots of good information is given about Carnival ships, though.

This.

I use a price tracking site that checks prices fairly close to real time and e-mails me when the drops occur. Some drops will be new bookings only, but a good number apply to anyone outside of final payment. Even then, I still track after final payment to see if any good upgrade opportunities come up.

Royal won't drop prices like a rock, but there are deals to be had. That being said, Oasis and Allure have crazy demand during peak season (which pretty much ends after the third week in August) so waiting until last minute can be risky. Outside of that and holidays, definitely keep an eye out.

The Royal "Tuesday Sale" flyer is a good source of info on last minute deals if you want to know what to expect. Link is updated every week with last minute sales.

Yes $497 pp today and there are balconies that I've seen in last week for about 1,100 per cabin. RCCL will change their rates every couple of hours. You got to be ready to jump. Tell your sister to keep looking once it gets to October unless you are talking Thanksgiving which will always sail at a premium
Edited by JasonV1