Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto Question

Retired 07

I found that you can make reservations in advance for these restaurants. I also found that you can purchase a package in advance (one dinner in PG and one in Canaletto) and it's a little less expensive. But, you must wait till onboard to make reservations. Has anybody done the latter, and how did it work out? I've heard that PG reservations can go pretty fast. Thanks!

I found that you can make reservations in advance for these restaurants. I also found that you can purchase a package in advance (one dinner in PG and one in Canaletto) and it's a little less expensive. But, you must wait till onboard to make reservations. Has anybody done the latter, and how did it work out? I've heard that PG reservations can go pretty fast. Thanks!

If you delay making PG reservations until you board, you will be left with times that may not be your ideal. PG reservations for the last night (International Meal in the MDR) are probably the most difficult to make.

Book early online.

We eat in the PG just about every night of our cruises. We like late sittings after 8:00 and never have a problem getting reservations. The place is not very busy later in the evening. So, if you like to dine late, by all means, take advantage of the price break if it's important to you. If you prefer earlier dining, then you should definitely book well in advance and pay the slightly higher price.

Is there a way to find out what the dinner themes are for each night in advance in the MDR? We plan to eat in the PG and Canaletto at least once each on our 11 day Panama Canal cruise on Zuidy but don't know which nights are "special" nights in the MDR.

Thanks!

Is there a way to find out what the dinner themes are for each night in advance in the MDR? We plan to eat in the PG and Canaletto at least once each on our 11 day Panama Canal cruise on Zuidy but don't know which nights are "special" nights in the MDR.

Thanks!

The special evenings are listed separately in the online dining options where you go to book early reservations.

We eat in the PG just about every night of our cruises. We like late sittings after 8:00 and never have a problem getting reservations. The place is not very busy later in the evening. So, if you like to dine late, by all means, take advantage of the price break if it's important to you. If you prefer earlier dining, then you should definitely book well in advance and pay the slightly higher price.

If you dine early (6:00pm), you shouldn't have any problem either. Once you move to the 6:30 - 7:30pm dining times, you may run into a problem with both. (I purchased the package mentioned by the OP and had to go with a 6:00pm dining time in both venues.)

Thanks!

Until the season starts and someone posts the MDR menus, it is hard to know in advance. Here are the menus from the 2013 Zuiderdam canal cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1311

Go into your booking on the website, click on "Purchase", select "View Dining Options" then click on "Make Reservations"

Sorry, I did this step by step, and under dining options it only lists: The PG, Canaletto, and Le Cirque. No mention of special evenings. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

The special evenings are listed separately in the online dining options where you go to book early reservations.

The only "special" night one will learn about using this technique is which night Le Cirque will be offered in the Pinnacle Grill. It won't help with the question about "special" nights in the MDR.

I've found that often the PG knows which nights are the formal nights in the MDR. We just stop by the PG after boarding to confirm.

Until the season starts and someone posts the MDR menus, it is hard to know in advance. Here are the menus from the 2013 Zuiderdam canal cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1311

Thanks for posting these; now I am very hungry!

It will be difficult to decide. Do they tell you in advance which nights will be formal?

Just noticed one other thing. I seemed to recall cappuccino being free in the dining room. Looks like there is a charge now? Haven't sailed HAL since Dec 2012.

Just noticed one other thing. I seemed to recall cappuccino being free in the dining room. Looks like there is a charge now? Haven't sailed HAL since Dec 2012.

Correct. The charge for cappuccino and espresso ($1.50, iirc) in the dining room started sometime before 5/31/13. I remember ordering that night, and being charged (I did know about the charge when I ordered).

I have booked several nights on an upcoming 21 day. 4 nights in PG and 3 in C. Is that too many in C? Too many overall? I know that some people spend a majority of nights in the specialty restaurants, but as a first HAL cruise, would appreciate some advice? Input? Thank you.

I have booked several nights on an upcoming 21 day. 4 nights in PG and 3 in C. Is that too many in C? Too many overall? I know that some people spend a majority of nights in the specialty restaurants, but as a first HAL cruise, would appreciate some advice? Input? Thank you.

It's your cruise and whatever you decide you want to do regarding eating arrangements is the right thing to do. On our upcoming 14 night cruise I have six specialty restaurant nights booked and I just may book more if the mood strikes me.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have booked several nights on an upcoming 21 day. 4 nights in PG and 3 in C. Is that too many in C?
One or two nights in the C would be plenty for me, just for a little variety, but overall I enjoy the MDR much more than the C. We haven't been in a C since they started charging because I don't think it's worth any surcharge.

I think you will find that the best menus in the MDR will be on the formal nights. It is difficult to say ahead of time when the formal nights will be, but usually sea days or days when you leave a port extra early. So if you book the specialty restaurants on nights when you will be leaving your port at a normal time (4, 5, or later), those would probably not be formal nights. Once you are on board, when you get the list of the formal nights, you probably could change your reservations if you wanted to. But at least you'll have something booked! Good luck.

Waiting until you are onboard to make PG reservations will probably limit availability to embarkation day and one or two evenings at the end of the cruise.

Is that true even when you are not "picky" about your dinner time?

LuLu

Is that true even when you are not "picky" about your dinner time?

LuLu

Yes, the pace in the PG is purposely intended to be slow to allow a leisurely experience. Thus, the number of reservations is limited.