Advice on SS Suite amenities

KBC

We are in a SA & have access to the Neptune Lounge. What does this include. Is it just a bar?
Not a bar. They have a lounge area, TV, reading material, and assorted foods/snacks throughout the day. Also have a self-service specialty coffee machine. Really nice when you want a shot of espresso or a latte. And, of course, the concierge. She is wonderful for handling the things so you don't have to go down to the Purser's desk and stand in line.

HAL really needs to think carefully about their terminology. The SS, SY, and SZ categories are called "Superior Verandah Suites" and yet they are not "superior enough" to be due most of the "Suite" perks that the SA, SB, and SC "Deluxe Verandah Suites" merit. This is misleading, though if one reads the fine print one is not mislead for all the details are spelled out clearly. Sadly, most people don't read the fine print.

If HAL wants to be accurate they should call the SA, SB, and SC categories simply "Verandah Suites." The SS, SY, and SZ they could call "Mini-Suits" -- "more space than non-Suites, and a few more perks, but its not quite a Suite." This would solve the confusion. They've finally settled on "Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom" for the V categories (the old A and B), so when people book them they're not thinking their booking some kind of "Suite." HAL should find a better way of defining the SS category so that such a misunderstanding is less likely.

Hey ... here's a suggestion!

First Class -- PS, SA, SB, SC

Second Class -- SS, SY, SZ

Business Class -- VA, VB, VD, VE, VC, VF, VH

Third Class -- C, D, DD, E, F, G, GG, H, HH

Steerage -- I, J, K, L, M, MM, N, NN

Think they'll go for it? Me neither. :D

Hey, I kinda like it! ;)

I agree that the terminology is misleading. In my way of thinking, "superior" is a superlative and is better than "deluxe." Maybe they should use gasoline grading terminology: regular, super, premium. (NOT!)

Right now, the concierge is available to only PS and S passengers - both personally and by phone.

AND I hope that never changes. On the Vista class ships and on some of the "R" and "S" ships - depending on itineraries, there are 2 concierges - but they have a lot to do with just the suite passengers.

They certainly do not need to be handling telephone calls from the SS passengers.

Should this happen, I will be among the first to complain to Seattle. We PS and S passengers are paying a lot more for our accommendations and we do not want our concierges spending time on people whom I know will not tip them.

The "SS" people can call the front desk just like they do now for anything they want done.

MAJOR big time OUCH!

We're blue collar works who originally booked cat SS, but one week later upgraded (with $$$) to a cat S. So where does that put is in the "pecking order" ???? Rest assured, we may be blue collar workers, but some how, dag nabbit, we managed to learn how to dress, act and carry on like civilized people! AND to tip!

KK,

As Ricky said to Lucy "you've got some 'splainin' to do...."

Not a bar. They have a lounge area, TV, reading material, and assorted foods/snacks throughout the day. Also have a self-service specialty coffee machine. Really nice when you want a shot of espresso or a latte. And, of course, the concierge. She is wonderful for handling the things so you don't have to go down to the Purser's desk and stand in line.

Sorry Jim, I was directing this to you.

Thank you again

Nancy

HAL really needs to think carefully about their terminology. The SS, SY, and SZ categories are called "Superior Verandah Suites" and yet they are not "superior enough" to be due most of the "Suite" perks that the SA, SB, and SC "Deluxe Verandah Suites" merit. This is misleading, though if one reads the fine print one is not mislead for all the details are spelled out clearly. Sadly, most people don't read the fine print.

If HAL wants to be accurate they should call the SA, SB, and SC categories simply "Verandah Suites." The SS, SY, and SZ they could call "Mini-Suits" -- "more space than non-Suites, and a few more perks, but its not quite a Suite." This would solve the confusion. They've finally settled on "Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom" for the V categories (the old A and B), so when people book them they're not thinking their booking some kind of "Suite." HAL should find a better way of defining the SS category so that such a misunderstanding is less likely.

Hey ... here's a suggestion!

First Class -- PS, SA, SB, SC

Second Class -- SS, SY, SZ

Business Class -- VA, VB, VD, VE, VC, VF, VH

Third Class -- C, D, DD, E, F, G, GG, H, HH

Steerage -- I, J, K, L, M, MM, N, NN

Think they'll go for it? Me neither. :D

This alphabet soup is enough to give me a migraine!! It's just another marketing tool that serves a dual purpose. First it plays into the snob factor of I booked a high level cabin than you did; VA vs VB or give people some sort of "upgrade" from VD to VA. Second HAL gets to parse the fares more and charge more for a VA than a VH even though they are really the same thing.

By nature, I am not a cynic. However, this seems crazy to me. I am also a suite passenger. I really don't care if HAL gives everyone on the ship all of the services they give suite passengers. Hey, I think it's a great idea. I wish they would do it. It would ease a lot of the tension around here and everyone would have the same amemnities I enjoy and I would feel more comfortable talking about them. (That's just me) As far as I'm concerned I book this level because I can and I am disabled and the concierge makes my life less painful. I enjoy it. I also believe in sharing the things I enjoy. The more the merrier I say. Let's petition HAL to put a Neptune Lounge and concierge on each deck. Anyone want to sign that petition?

As far as catagories, how about this:

PH = Penthouse Suite

S = Suite

A = Mini Suite, same deck as full suite

B = Mini Suite, different deck as suite

C = Outside, lower promanade deck

D = Outside, other decks

E = Inside midship

F = Inside other locations

etc

That's the way I remember it when I first sailed HAL. It was much simpler and you knew what you were buying. Keep it simple.

Linda

Hi everyone,

I just want to say, I think everyone ought to just lay off KK. We all have knee jerk reactions to things and we are only human. All of us who know her know she did not mean to offend anyone. She has helped many of us with her knowledge and advise.

It is impossible to know someone's tone in the written word. Let's just all play nicely.

Linda :)

Sometimes a post is misunderstood.

I went back and read KK's post again. It seems to me that she is saying that pax in S cabins pay for the extra service in the price of their accommodations.

They expect a concierge at hand as part of the extra service.

To have the concierge tied up with calls from SS pax -- who would only have telephone service, not personal concierge service -- would be unfair.

And the SS pax would not be tipping this concierge, as they would only interact with him/her over the telephone.

I do not feel she was stereotyping SS pax as being bad tippers! :)

I have not stayed in a suite [only an SS], so I do not know about the tipping policy for those pax. Wouldn't S pax tip the concierge separately, not as part of their auto-tip?

So I think that is KK's point --> she would be tipping the concierge. The SS pax would not. Not out of cheapness ... but just because the SS pax would not interact with the concierge.

Yes, you are right. "S" pax tip the Concierge independent of the Automatic Tipping and 'KK' has said here often that she and her DH always tip the Concierge(s).

So I think that explains KK's point! :)

She was not criticizing SS pax at all. Just explaining that pax in S cabins would be tipping for the service, while SS would not -- if the SS pax were to share the same concierge [at least via phone].

It was not a condemnation of SS pax tipping habits.

She was not criticizing SS pax at all. Just explaining that pax in S cabins would be tipping for the service, while SS would not -- if the SS pax were to share the same concierge [at least via phone].

It was not a condemnation of SS pax tipping habits.

Hence my reason for apologizing for flying off the handle at her phraseology. Her intent was one thing ... understandable and reasonable, once several other pieces of information are provided ... how it came off her fingertips while typing was something else, entirely. The use of bold and underline emphasis in making her point at that precise moment didn't help much, either.

It is impossible to know someone's tone in the written word.

Except for when one uses ALL CAPS or the boards formatting features to display one's written words in such a way as to emphasize them. That, plus word choice can often convey at least some measure tone. Both aspects played a role in this case ... and not just with me ... numerous people took what was written in a specific way. See Brian's remark for an example.

IMHO, a satisfactory way to end/clarify any misunderstanding would be for KK to reply. Although it's admirable for folks like Sail7Seas, Oceanwench and others to try and translate or second guess what KK may have been trying to say, only KK him/herself can clarify. KK's continued silence on the subject leads me only to conclude that he/she meant to convey exactly the message many of us got through his/her use of bold, large font and underlined text! I always try to use humor to relieve tension on message boards (such as the Ricky/Lucy analogy). Does that not work over here on this board ?? Ordering one bottle of chill pills for EVERYONE !!!

Incidentally, what is considered a decent tip to the Concierge? Does HAL provide any guidelines/suggestions in this area?

I can only speak from my own personal experience. Chimera and I feel that we use the concierge quite a bit. We avail ourselves of her services several times a day.

We tip $10 per day to the concierge and $5 per day to the assistant concierge.

Linda

Incidentally, what is considered a decent tip to the Concierge? Does HAL provide any guidelines/suggestions in this area?

HAL does not provide any guidelines for tipping for concierge services. We just went with what felt comfortable to us. No rhyme or reason at all.

I can only speak from my own personal experience. Chimera and I feel that we use the concierge quite a bit. We avail ourselves of her services several times a day.

We tip $10 per day to the concierge and $5 per day to the assistant concierge.

Linda

The only time we sailed in an S category, was on the four day coastal on Oosterdam. I don't remember any ladies in the Neptune lounge. There was one gentleman who was always at the computer. The only tim eI spoke with him was on the last day when we woke up late and I popped in to ask what time breakfast would stop being served in the Lido. We had my elderly mother in the suite with us and believe me things moved slowly when we all shared the bathroom. Anyway, my point is, was that the concierge at the computer? I certainly didn't tip anyone there as no one had even introduced themselves to me.

IMHO, a satisfactory way to end/clarify any misunderstanding would be for KK to reply. Although it's admirable for folks like Sail7Seas, Oceanwench and others to try and translate or second guess what KK may have been trying to say, only KK him/herself can clarify. KK's continued silence on the subject leads me only to conclude that he/she meant to convey exactly the message many of us got through his/her use of bold, large font and underlined text! I always try to use humor to relieve tension on message boards (such as the Ricky/Lucy analogy). Does that not work over here on this board ?? Ordering one bottle of chill pills for EVERYONE !!!

I agree, only KK can clear up this matter.

But since there were a number of posts from people who took offense at the remarks and were interpreting them in a negative fashion, I felt it was fair to also look at them in another light. :)

So all of us -- whether we were offended, or whether we were defending the poster -- are second guessing what KK meant.

No one's interpretation is "more" correct or justified.

My Goodness, what I thought was the simpliest of questions, appears to have caused quite a stir - I do apologise. :confused:

My thanks to 'Sage' in particular for the clarification.

Sounds like a hospital waiting area to me:D .

Archived