Advice on SS Suite amenities

KBC

The problem I have comes on the accomodations page. The extra SOE benefits are in a seperate boxed column and it clearly states the S and PS suites already have them. Also, in a seperate paragraph from the one I quoted it mentions the S and PS catagories get the Neptune Lounge. From the way the paragraph is worded that I quoted ALL suite passengers are entitled to the tea and canapies.

The SOE upgrades affect the whole ship in most ways. It used to be true that only the PS, S, A, and B categories got bathrobes ... now ALL cabins get them. Likewise, SOE upgrades will put DVD players in ALL cabins.

A close read of some of HAL's press releases regarding SOE upgrades do clear up a few things. For instance, this comes from the Press Release dealing with the Noordam's having all SOE features in place at launch:

Special Signature of Excellence amenities add to the welcoming ambience of the Noordam’s 924 staterooms – 87 percent of which offer ocean views. All feature plush Euro-top Mariner Beds, deluxe waffle/terry cloth robes, flat panel TVs, dvd players, magnifying make-up mirrors with halo lighting, massage shower heads, professional hair dryers, and complimentary fruit basket.

Holland America Line’s new One-Touch Concierge Service will also be in full operation when the Noordam arrives. All guests in verandah suites will enjoy personalized phone concierge service to assist with special requests, spa or dinner reservations, room service and other needs. Offering similar assistance, food, and a place to relax and work, the Neptune Lounge also will continue to offer concierge service to deluxe verandah suite guests with One-Touch Concierge Service available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Note, from the way it is written the One-Touch Concierge Service will go to all verandah Suites (that's SS, S, and PS) while the Neptune will remain the exclusive retreat of the Deluxe Verandah and Penthouse passengers. If you check the SOE update pdf on HAL's website you'll see what all the SOE enhancements are.

From HAL's website page Accommodations:

Suite Amenities

Guests who choose suite accommodations enjoy several additional amenities** – including in-suite afternoon tea and savory hors d'oeuvres - all with the Captain's compliments.

**Suite amenities vary somewhat by ship and suite category.

After this it goes on to outline the Neptune Lounge and its services and it specifies that it is only for the use of S and PS passengers. Since the statement above does not specify that this is exclusive to Deluxe Verandah Suites and Penthouse Suites, my guess is that HAL does intend to extend this amenity to all suites (i.e., the SS "not-yet-ready-for-prime-time" Suites). The ** note is probably there to point out that there are no SS category cabins on S and R ships, and that these Suite amenities vary from ship to ship depending upon implementation schedules.

That's interesting. The larger cabin and the larger verandah would be sufficient reason for me. That's the reason why I've gotten an SS for the cruise on the Westerdam this November.

Verandah size makes no difference, as DH does not like going out on the verandah. He is in a wheelchair, and although the verandahs are made accessible, he finds it difficult to get in and out.

And we didn't see much difference in room size between the HC VA cabin and the HC SS cabin. In fact, with the SS we had to ask that two chairs, a coffee table and a hassock be removed from the room, it was so cluttered and difficult to maneuver in!

Also, we've never had personalized stationery in our VA cabins! Only in the SS we had on the Zuiderdam back in May.

Verandah size makes no difference, as DH does not like going out on the verandah. He is in a wheelchair, and although the verandahs are made accessible, he finds it difficult to get in and out.

And we didn't see much difference in room size between the HC VA cabin and the HC SS cabin. In fact, with the SS we had to ask that two chairs, a coffee table and a hassock be removed from the room, it was so cluttered and difficult to maneuver in!

Ah, ok ... I understand. I'm not sure about how the HC cabins are arranged or sized, but I would imagine the chairs and the coffee table would be a problem for wheelchair maneuvering.

The Superior Verandah Suite is somewhat wider than the VA Verandah Stateroom, with 140 square feet more. A Deluxe Verandah Suite is wider still and another 121 square feet larger than the Superior Verandah Suite. I would covet the larger size of the Deluxe, but I'm not sure I would covet it enough to pay out 40% more than a superior. The perks are a nice additive, but I'm not sure that they would mean enough to me to justify the further expense. I'd rather cruise more often -- and, since I'm not made of money, cost is a major factor. :) And, the only time I'm in a Verandah at all is when I'm traveling with Christopher and he's paying his half.

Also, we've never had personalized stationery in our VA cabins! Only in the SS we had on the Zuiderdam back in May.

That's interesting. When we were in As and Bs on the S and R ships (that was back in 2002, 2001, and 1999, when those were still called "mini-suites") we had personalized Stationery. I've still got some from the Maasdam with my name and cabin number printed on the top.

That's interesting. When we were in As and Bs on the S and R ships (that was back in 2002, 2001, and 1999, when those were still called "mini-suites") we had personalized Stationery. I've still got some from the Maasdam with my name and cabin number printed on the top.

Rev--

Don't forget that the Vista SS's are the "Mini-Suites" of the Vista Class --

-- the VA-VF verandah staterooms aren't intended to be comparable w/ A-BB's....

Don't forget that the Vista SS's are the "Mini-Suites" of the Vista Class --

-- the VA-VF verandah staterooms aren't intended to be comparable w/ A-BB's....

Actually, if you look at how the VA-VFs were originally marketed -- as As and Bs -- they ARE the equivalent of the same classification on the S and R ships. The line made comparisons between the two, and identified them as the same in terms of both category designation and (comparable) price. Granted, that has since changed, but it was how they originally marketed that category when the Vistas first came out.

On the S and R class ships they had stopped calling the As and Bs "mini-suites" by 2002 -- the brochures dropped the term in 2001 because, by January 2002, they were just "A-B Category outsides with Verandah."

The SS, on the other hand, was something brand new ... a cabin somewhat larger than the large outside, but without most of the perks of a suite. It filled a niche in the passenger census. Also, by my reading of the literature, the SSs were never referenced as "mini-suites" but always as "Superior Verandah Suites" -- though I know a few people who began calling them the "Semi-Suites" :)

If memory serves me correctly, the largest cabins aboard the N-class ships (former Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam) was called a "mini-suite."

Webster's definition of a suite is...."a group of rooms occupied as a unit."

If you travel by train, and book two adjoining bedrooms, that is referred to as "en suite", since your accomodation is now a 2-room affair. If you book just the single bedroom alone, the word "suite" never enters the picture.

Does anyone know when cruise lines began referencing one room cabins as suites? The term "suite" conjures up a two-room affair in the minds of many people........

I think the true definition of a "suite" has lost it's intended identity over the past few years!

Webster's definition of a suite is...."a group of rooms occupied as a unit."

If you travel by train, and book two adjoining bedrooms, that is referred to as "en suite", since your accomodation is now a 2-room affair. If you book just the single bedroom alone, the word "suite" never enters the picture.

Does anyone know when cruise lines began referencing one room cabins as suites? The term "suite" conjures up a two-room affair in the minds of many people........

I think the true definition of a "suite" has lost it's intended identity over the past few years!

Some accomodations on some ships do meet the strict definition of Suite.

The "PS" on HAL ships are separate rooms.

The large Suites on the Sun Class Princess ships have separate living room/bedroom.

The Royal Suite on Zenith is a bedroom and separate living/dining room.

The "S" Suites on HAL ships are a single room with a separate dressing room. They are not literally Suites as defined.

The large Suites on the Sun Class Princess ships have separate living room/bedroom.

And even the mini-suites on the Sun Class ships are two room affairs. Princess could easily reclassify these as full suites. Completely different story on their Grand Class ships, however. The casual cruiser sailing in a mini-suite on a Sun Class ship would be horrified to see what NCL deems a mini-suite!

I think one might squeak by with calling an S category a suite because of the semi-separation of the bedroom from the living area. But the PH is the only true suite onboard, IMO.

Essentially correct ... though I suspect that they might have been trying to construe the balcony as being a second room. :)

We were in an SS this past March. It was lovely. If we had more money, we would have paid for a Penthouse Suite. As it was, the SS was only a few dollars per person per day more than the price for a standard balcony cabin. Most folks will pay for the best they feel they can afford. If you experience a lesser quality cruise in your suite on an upcoming cruise, by all means let customer service know about it. To anticipate problems which may never exist is just not in the spirit of enjoying any vacation. It's a cruise-- enjoy yourself!

If you experience a lesser quality cruise in your suite on an upcoming cruise, by all means let customer service know about it. To anticipate problems which may never exist is just not in the spirit of enjoying any vacation. It's a cruise-- enjoy yourself!

Superior words of wisdom.

Revneal.

Thank you for bringing the subject back to my original question.

I believe one of the problems, at this side of the 'Pond', is that in general terms, TA's are not terribly familiar with the HAL product. My guess is that the TA in question extracted the information from HALs website, which, it has to be said, can be somewhat confusing.

One could be forgiven for thinking that the below information, (from the website), did in fact relate to accommodation which is termed as a Superior Suite!!!

"Suite Amenities

Guests who choose suite accommodations enjoy several additional amenities** – including in-suite afternoon tea and savory hors d'oeuvres - all with the Captain's compliments."

The 'Concierge Service' aspect remains a mystery....

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy the full range of suites over the years from the old Minis (A&B's) through to the Deluxe Verandah Suites (S). Personally I consider the SS accommodations to be excellent value for money. We were delighted with ours on the Westerdam last year.

Although I do not post all that often, I am an avid follower of this forum. I have come to recognise your submissions (along with a number of others) as being the ultimate voice of reason. My guess is that you would be a first class Table Mate....

Once again, thank you.

Although I do not post all that often, I am an avid follower of this forum. I have come to recognise your submissions (along with a number of others) as being the ultimate voice of reason. My guess is that you would be a first class Table Mate....

I'm honored. Please ... post more. :) :) :)

Archived