Advice on SS Suite amenities

KBC

A friend, who is a first time cruiser, received the below information from her TA. It is the latter part of the detail concerning the concierge that I was confused about. My experience is that the concierge service applies only to the Deluxe Verandah and Penthouse Suites.

".....SY and SS categories are Superior Verandah Suites and while these suites are not allowed to use the Neptune Lounge, they do get other suite amenities such as daily in-suite tea in the afternoons and hors d'oeuvres, personal stationary, DVD players, and concierge service for shore excursions, dining reservations at the specialty restaurant, etc."

Has there been a change which passed me by??

Right now, the concierge is available to only PS and S passengers - both personally and by phone.

AND I hope that never changes. On the Vista class ships and on some of the "R" and "S" ships - depending on itineraries, there are 2 concierges - but they have a lot to do with just the suite passengers.

They certainly do not need to be handling telephone calls from the SS passengers.

Should this happen, I will be among the first to complain to Seattle. We PS and S passengers are paying a lot more for our accommendations and we do not want our concierges spending time on people whom I know will not tip them.

The "SS" people can call the front desk just like they do now for anything they want done.

We PS and S passengers are paying a lot more for our accommendations and we do not want our concierges spending time on people whom I know will not tip them.

I'm not at all sure I understand this statement? I DO understand paying more for PS and S and wanting the amenities that go with that - including easy access to concierge services with no wait, etc. What I DON'T understand is the tipping remark? I'm one of the world's heaviest tippers (determined to some degree by the service rendered of course) - and I travel in a lowly VB cabin. So, how could you possibly KNOW I wouldn't tip them if I DID have access?? :confused:

Or were you kidding??

I am so sorry that my statement was not clear. This would be a new phone Concierge for the SS categories different from the S and PS category Concierges. The PS and S category Concierge's would not be attending to the needs of the SS category passengers.

I am so sorry that my statement was not clear. This would be a new phone Concierge for the SS categories different from the S and PS category Concierges. The PS and S category Concierge's would not be attending to the needs of the SS category passengers.

You know, this does bring up an interesting question - my guess would be that in this case, KK would be right - most would NOT tip, nor would, I assume, it be expected. How do you tip a phone concierge? I would probably go to the purser, but would most? Probably not.... that may have meant what KK meant to begin with.....

You know, this does bring up an interesting question - my guess would be that in this case, KK would be right - most would NOT tip, nor would, I assume, it be expected. How do you tip a phone concierge? I would probably go to the purser, but would most? Probably not.... that may have meant what KK meant to begin with.....

They would be included in your autotip. Whether or not you could find them to give them an envelope isn't known, but I doubt it. If you can find them to hand them a tip, you can find them to complain about their service, etc. tieing up the time they should be spending on the phone.

Is there a list of specific amenities available to you in your stateroom? I was unaware that the afternoon tea and the canapies were available to SS cabins. That sounds good to me as I will be sailing in my first one in October. :D

The information that I have is from the young woman herself, who used to be a S & PS Concierge, and has now be given this new job as a phone Concierge on HAL. She is not sure which ship she will be on, as she is currently on vacation leave. I personally think that it will be a nice addition for the SS category, as we in the S and PS have enjoyed the perk of a Concierge.:D She is not expecting tips, and this will be a promotion for her.

Oh Good!

Seems like this will make up for the increased pricing for SS/SY staterooms, and help alleviate the "Which Suite isn't really a Suite?" issue...

Sage --

Did your source indicate if this would be extended to Mini-Suites on S and R Class ships? And would it include priority embarcation? (I hope....)

KK--

Your post on this thread did come across as rather boorish to this SS passenger - particularly since 'auto-tip' is supposed to take care of everything (which many of us supplement with cash)...

...but we'll let you slide since you obviously weren't aware of all the facts regarding the additional phone staff. ;)

The information that I have is from the young woman herself, who used to be a S & PS Concierge, and has now be given this new job as a phone Concierge on HAL. She is not sure which ship she will be on, as she is currently on vacation leave. I personally think that it will be a nice addition for the SS category, as we in the S and PS have enjoyed the perk of a Concierge.:D She is not expecting tips, and this will be a promotion for her.

Currently, all of the concierges come from the front office. They rotate around. Not all of the front office girls work shifts as concierges but I believe that all of the concierges have rotated from the front office. ( ;) With the possible exception of Ms. Mensing. :) )

They work a certain length of time in the Neptune Lounge and then they return to the front office. Then, at some future date, work the Lounge again.

Should this happen, I will be among the first to complain to Seattle. We PS and S passengers are paying a lot more for our accommendations and we do not want our concierges spending time on people whom I know will not tip them.

The "SS" people can call the front desk just like they do now for anything they want done.

Oh, yes, we all know how CHEAP and UNCULTURED those "SS" people are ... they NEVER tip and, since they aren't REAL suites guests they shouldn't be afford anything more than any other non-Suite passenger except for their larger cabin ... which <SHUDDER> is on the same DECK as some of ours! <GASP>. :mad:

KK ... your subconscious snootiness is showing. I know you didn't intend to slap some of us around ... but you did. And it hurt. :(

Can we please skip the name-calling?

I agree with KK ONLY in the respect that "S" and "PS" pax have paid a lot of money for the amenities that accrue with those cabins. I do not wish to have more work piled on the Concierge leaving less time for them to tend to those who have paid for their services. It has been my observation that these girls are usually fully occupied now. They do not have spare time to take on more cabins' needs without the Suite pax receiving less speedy, attentive service. IMO.....

Can we please skip the name-calling?

Who's name-calling? I was making a valid observation regarding how her remarks sounded to someone who was slapped by them. I will certainly grant that she didn't intend to come across that way ... but she did.

I agree with KK ONLY in the respect that "S" and "PS" pax have paid a lot of money for the amenities that accrue with those cabins. I do not wish to have more work piled on the Concierge leaving less time for them to tend to those who have paid for their services. It has been my observation that these girls are usually fully occupied now. They do not have spare time to take on more cabins' needs without the Suite pax receiving less speedy, attentive service. IMO.....

Of course the Suite Passengers should get their Amenities. However, SS passengers aren't paying peanuts for their accommodations either -- we're paying about half way between the VA and the S category. That gets us a larger cabin (about 175 square feet smaller than yours) and a very few other little perks. If HAL has decided to add more staff in the Front Office for the purpose of providing telephone-based concierge service to SS passengers ... in such a way that it takes nothing away from in-person concierge service S passengers receive ... what skin is it off anyone's noses?

As for the addition of in-cabin hors d'oeuvres each evening ... I don't see how providing those in any way takes away from the many other Amenities that the Suite passengers receive (in addition to their larger cabin).

I'm sorry I flew of the handle, KK ... your choice of phrasing just hit me the wrong way and touched a nerve. I plead a long day and 3 months until my next cruise. I also plead the fact that I've just finished paying the final bill for my 2 weeks on the Westerdam in an SS. For each week, per person, it was about double what I'm used to paying ... hence, the hinted at idea that SS people are either cheap or not paying an equitable amount for their "Suite" just rubbed me raw.

Sorry.

I agree with RevNeal. I just booked my first HAL cruise and decided to splurge on anSS. It is the most I have ever paid on a cruise and I usually get a balcony or a mini-suite on other lines. Who is to say that "SS" passengers will not tip? Just because you are in a Penthouse Suite and have paid thousands of dollars for it doesn't mean that everyone can justify spending that much for a cruise cabin. Some of the richest people I know are also the cheapest - that's how they get that way...

There is no difference between someone who has booked the lowest inside cabin or someone who has booked the Penthouse suite - we are all looking to have a wonderful cruise...

I booked 2 SS cabins on th Oosterdam in October to the Mexico Riv for 7 days. I was surprised that I got the cabins for 825.00 - 75.00 gift card credit=$750.00! Plus a free Pinnicale Grill update for two. So maybe I'm the cheapskate they're talking about.. :)

Brian

Right now, the concierge is available to only PS and S passengers - both personally and by phone.

AND I hope that never changes. On the Vista class ships and on some of the "R" and "S" ships - depending on itineraries, there are 2 concierges - but they have a lot to do with just the suite passengers.

They certainly do not need to be handling telephone calls from the SS passengers.

Excuse me KK ... but after reading your many countless, non-replies to so many valid questions, I had to respond. You are obviously a seasoned cruiser, and a prolific poster on these boards. You have a propensity for talking down to posters, and this is a perfect example. The OP was not looking for your opinion as to whether SS passengers should have concierge service... it was a valid inquiry, period. Your comment on "tipping" was again off the mark. If you don't have an informative answer to a post, I repectfully suggest you refrain from replying.

revneal,

I don't think you owe an apology either. I have an SS on the "Z" and a guarantee 1a cabin on Glory. So what does that make me. :confused:

BTW, I prepaid my Carnival tips, so even being in the "cheap" 1A GUAR did not stop me from tipping.

So, why the difference in rooms and ships?

I am traveling solo on the Glory while taking the wife on the "Z" so I want to give her the best I can afford. I could get by with a lounge chair out on the deck if it meant a cruise.

Either way, I still am tipping. :D

I don't think you owe an apology either.

Regardless of what KK said, I shouldn't have popped off that way. It didn't do any good, and I knew it was wrong but did it anyway. Sadly, I've still got a long way to go until I'm like my boss wants me to be. :)

He is my boss too!

But, i think you hit the nail on the head and were tactful. I agree KK probably had a poor choice of words and understand the point. The tipping comment was what was thoughtless.

To me as a Christian, the most difficult part of the process is being a light without being judgemental, sometimes it is a difficult call for a mere human being.

**The "SS" people can call the front desk just like they do now for anything they want done.**

Whoops! Was I just watching "Titanic"? We're in SS Oosterdam. We don't need anything more than just our cabin. Probably won't be there for "tea". Sorry we're part of the "SS people".

Penny :)

I agree with Sail, as most of the young ladies do work in the office and rotate into the Concierge positions. As several have said, each looks forward to assisting the guests to ensure they have a wonderful cruise. My friend, who is like a daughter to me, said that they would work out of the office and provide shore excursions and dining reservations and such. They will be available 24 hours a day, as are the S and PS Concierges. I think that this will add that bit of extra for the "mini suites" to help justify the additional costs that they indeed have to pay. I don't know if early embarkation will be included, but I do know that they are expected to be on all the classes of ships.

Archived