Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

"Extended family just booked a sailing on the Crown Princess and have convinced me to join them. Anyone have insight into the current spa situation on that ship? Thanks."

A good choice!  The Crown has the same popular, free male steam, sauna, showers and changing area as the Star, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean.  It is located in the spa and fitness area near the adult pool.

Edited by Repositioner
  • Like 1

Has anyone been on the Sky Princess or any other Royal Class ship? Do they have free separated facilities? The tours I've seen don't seem to suggest so. Second question: If you have a set dining time, could you still do anytime dining on any night when you'd rather attend a conflicting event?  

Edited by rem1981au
missed a question

9 hours ago, rem1981au said:

Has anyone been on the Sky Princess or any other Royal Class ship? Do they have free separated facilities? The tours I've seen don't seem to suggest so. Second question: If you have a set dining time, could you still do anytime dining on any night when you'd rather attend a conflicting event?  

Unfortunately all Royal Class ships on Princess only have a pay for coed thermal suite. The Enclave is part of the Lotus Spa located on Deck 5 forward, the gym located on Deck 15 aft, has a small locker facility but no steam or sauna. 
The spa has a larger locker room with multiple showers, but no single sex steam or sauna. 

5 hours ago, GaryR6273 said:

Unfortunately all Royal Class ships on Princess only have a pay for coed thermal suite. The Enclave is part of the Lotus Spa located on Deck 5 forward, the gym located on Deck 15 aft, has a small locker facility but no steam or sauna. 
The spa has a larger locker room with multiple showers, but no single sex steam or sauna. 

Well that's a shame. It's a gorgeous new ship otherwise. 

Thanks

46 minutes ago, rem1981au said:

Well that's a shame. It's a gorgeous new ship otherwise. 

Thanks

It’s a stunning new ship. Did a quick 3 night on her in December. The thermal suites on the Royal class ships are my favorite pay-for coed access on any line. Just off the NCL Encore and they only had pay for coed faculties as well. Not even showers or locker access for gym goers. 

It's a real shame that so many cruise lines have abandoned single sex steam saunas and even showers. I kind of understand the move to paid facilities but why are they all going coed. Can't they off a choice, even for a free?

I wonder if virgin will take a different approach than the other lines 

21 minutes ago, willcan said:

It's a real shame that so many cruise lines have abandoned single sex steam saunas and even showers. I kind of understand the move to paid facilities but why are they all going coed. Can't they off a choice, even for a free?

I wonder if virgin will take a different approach than the other lines 

I hope so. I have had both co-ed or separate male/female facilities as answers to my question to Virgin. Someone on the first cruises at the end of March should be able to give us a definite answer. A mix of both would be great!

The Carnival Victory indeed has the same old school single sex sauna and steam room in the locker room setup that it always has.  However, it's going to drydock for a retrofit in March I believe so all bets are off at that point.   It's worth noting that if folks prefer it,  most if not all of the luxury lilnes are staying with the traditional format. Oceania, Crystal , Silversea, Regent, and Ritz Carlton all have single sex sauna and steam.

• Thanks 1

If you look back to post 646, I did a review of the Norwegian Dawn layout back in Oct, 2017. Don't think there has been a change since then. No free area, but nice, rather compact single sex areas in addition to a co-ed section.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, twodjs said:

Just off NCL Dawn. The ship is a different class than the "Pearl" style ships. Recently tastefully remodeled Thermal Suite is a more compact design and is in the back of the ship below the gym. There is a co-ed middle section and seperate men/women only sections. No lockers, showers or free saunas are available to gym users, only those purchasing the Thermal Suite package. On the men's only side - VERY clean, well stocked with towels and robes - plenty of lockers with the 4 number lock design - a prep area with hair dryers - and another area with sinks, 3 urinals and a toilet. Everything was in excellent shape. The sauna is "L" shaped, with two seating levels - about 8 guys max. The steam room is a "J" shape, with tiled seating areas, part one level, part two levels. Again 8 would fill the space. Both have some privacy. There are three compact showers with full opaque glass doors with a wood seating area along one side. Across are a single person cold plunge and a hot tub (no jets). No windows to the outside except in the co-ed part. Given the limited space available, overall very good design! This cruise was very port intensive, so really quiet until 5 pm or after. Majority wore towels or nothing. Some suits were thrown in to balance it out. Enjoyable cruise!

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twodjs said:

If you look back to post 646, I did a review of the Norwegian Dawn layout back in Oct, 2017. Don't think there has been a change since then. No free area, but nice, rather compact single sex areas in addition to a co-ed section.

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

On the last day of our October 2019 cruise we were talking with some guys that we met at the Martini Bar on the Eclipse.  According to them there still is a sauna in the men's locker room.  However, we looked for it twice and never found it earlier in the cruise, so we assumed it was gone.  What a bummer, it was a 15 day cruise with lots of sea days. I hope you have fun, and ask if you can't find it.

• Thanks 1

There is a sauna in the men's locker room indeed. It's located within the spa area but it's free. It is not easy to find, f you face the spa reception, the men's locker room is on your right. Ask the receptionist if you still can't find it. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1