Is This True?

atdahop

Would it be possible to choose traditional dining and request a table for two? My husband and I like to have intimate dinners, we'd prefer to sit alone.

Yes, but there are a limited number of tables for two so you might not get assigned to one.

Yes, but there are a limited number of tables for two so you might not get assigned to one.

And on some ships (I haven't been on the Golden yet), they are quite close together in the MDR, but still offer a bit more privacy than sharing a larger table. For a truly intimate dinner, I would check into the seating options at one of the alternative dining venues, or balcony dining (if you have one).

Edited by Ryndam2002

Guilty as charged. On the very rare occasion we have been late returning from an excursion, have missed our time in TD and gone to the ATD venue. We don't make a practice of this but we also don't do buffets and don't go on cruises to eat hamburgers or pizza for dinner....so ATD it is.

In the past we've always chosen ATD and ask for a table for two. Maybe half the time we go right in and the rest of the time wait for maybe 10 minutes. Never a problem as far as we're concerned.

We just got back from a 5 day on the Caribbean. We only ate in a main dining room twice this trip. The first night we ate there it was a ten or so minute wait and in we went to our table for two. The service that night wasn't particularly good.

The last night in the other ATD room, though, it was crazy. The maitre-d or a server kept asking for people to share. At one point we were told it would be a 35-40 minute wait for a 2 top. We gave in and agreed to share.

In the past we've always chosen ATD and ask for a table for two. Maybe half the time we go right in and the rest of the time wait for maybe 10 minutes. Never a problem as far as we're concerned.

We just got back from a 5 day on the Caribbean. We only ate in a main dining room twice this trip. The first night we ate there it was a ten or so minute wait and in we went to our table for two. The service that night wasn't particularly good.

The last night in the other ATD room, though, it was crazy. The maitre-d or a server kept asking for people to share. At one point we were told it would be a 35-40 minute wait for a 2 top. We gave in and agreed to share.

It's no surprise. That can happen especially if there are loads of people wanting tables for 2 & you arrive to the DR at peak times. You just have to go with the flow.

good.

The last night in the other ATD room, though, it was crazy. The maitre-d or a server kept asking for people to share. At one point we were told it would be a 35-40 minute wait for a 2 top.

That's what happens when other passengers decide that their "anytime" is the same as your "anytime.'

Forgot to mention that the "bad" we got there just after the 7PM show at the theater which goes a long way toward explaining the crowds.

As it turns out, we probably didn't get out any sooner than if had waited for a 2 top. One gentleman at our shared table had FOUR appetizers which definitely slowed down the process. A funny side note is that his wife only allowed him to have one piece of bread.

Forgot to mention that the "bad" we got there just after the 7PM show at the theater which goes a long way toward explaining the crowds.

As it turns out, we probably didn't get out any sooner than if had waited for a 2 top. One gentleman at our shared table had FOUR appetizers which definitely slowed down the process. A funny side note is that his wife only allowed him to have one piece of bread.

That's one of the reasons we prefer a table for two.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

One gentleman at our shared table had FOUR appetizers which definitely slowed down the process. A funny side note is that his wife only allowed him to have one piece of bread.

If you ask your waitstaff to please bring your food as soon as you are ready for it instead of waiting for everyone at the table to be ready, then they will usually honor the request so you do not have to eat at the speed of the slowest person at the table.

After reading many posts here on CC it seems as though Princess has many "policies" but does not do a good job of enforcing them. I guess they are trying not to offend anyone. I taught school for 30 years and I know most kids will test the limits but once they know the limits are enforced most will accept the rules and obey them. The same applies to adults. They might complain at first, a few might change cruise lines but the majority will accept that there are policies and follow them. Princess is like the parent that makes threats and never follows through. People quickly learn that the policies are on paper only and then do whatever they want. It is really simple. As long as Princess is unwilling to enforce its policies customers will continue not to follow them.

After reading many posts here on CC it seems as though Princess has many "policies" but does not do a good job of enforcing them. I guess they are trying not to offend anyone. I taught school for 30 years and I know most kids will test the limits but once they know the limits are enforced most will accept the rules and obey them. The same applies to adults. They might complain at first, a few might change cruise lines but the majority will accept that there are policies and follow them. Princess is like the parent that makes threats and never follows through. People quickly learn that the policies are on paper only and then do whatever they want. It is really simple. As long as Princess is unwilling to enforce its policies customers will continue not to follow them.

Except that on a cruise ship the people are paying customers who might not return for another cruise in the future if they get hassled enough.

Except that on a cruise ship the people are paying customers who might not return for another cruise in the future if they get hassled enough.

True, but others booked the same cruise because of the guidelines and rules of that cruise line. They likewise will take their business elsewhere if the rules are ignored.

Princess likely gained a lot of pax when they banned smoking on balconies.

True, but others booked the same cruise because of the guidelines and rules of that cruise line. They likewise will take their business elsewhere if the rules are ignored.

Princess likely gained a lot of pax when they banned smoking on balconies.

That's also true but based on past actions they won't leave that fast. People moan & groan about every change Princess comes up with but after a short while forget their dissatisfaction's & book another cruise with Princess. People have a very short memory span & tend to disregard minor annoyances.

ie.- internet service cutback, suite cutbacks, FCC cutbacks, food quality, cabin size reductions, elevator service, no outside view cabins, charge increases in the Sanctuary, price increases in the Specialty restaurants, soap reduction, no more slippers or Elite benefits in cabin, reduction in production show length, etc.

Yes they did gain a lot of customers when they changed their smoking policy but now that almost all the other cruise lines have or will soon change to the same one the playing field will level out.

Great post! I agree 100%. Once they start enforcing their own rules, people will follow the policies.

They won't consider it as being "hassled" once it is pointed out that they were aware of the policies before they purchased the cruise. So many posters already have their minds made up to do as they please and then come here to validate their thinking. The fact is I paid for my cruise, it is my vacation and I was aware of the policies and agreed to conform. It rankles me that others simply think the policies don't refer to them.

They won't consider it as being "hassled" once it is pointed out that they were aware of the policies before they purchased the cruise. So many posters already have their minds made up to do as they please and then come here to validate their thinking. The fact is I paid for my cruise, it is my vacation and I was aware of the policies and agreed to conform. It rankles me that others simply think the policies don't refer to them.

Exactly, and even if a few left and never came back there are countless numbers ready to take their place. :)

That's just like where I live.....everyone follows the speed limits and number of items you can take in the express checkout lanes....:)

They won't consider it as being "hassled" once it is pointed out that they were aware of the policies before they purchased the cruise.

That is the ideal world.

The real world is the "hassled" passenger will fill out a complaint form about being poorly treated by the employee trying to enforce the rules.

Then the employee may get a note on his record about treating passengers poorly. Too many of these notes about poor treatment of passengers means no promotions and possible no renewal of contract.

It might work differently if those who follow the rules complained about employees who did not enforce the rules.

Great post! I agree 100%. Once they start enforcing their own rules, people will follow the policies.

You are one of the few who follow all the rules....now get the other 2,999 people to do the same & you'll have something. :p

While this may be considered as a contradiction to my earlier post on this thread, I do agree with you. As for passenger complaints, Princess as the employer, needs to support their employees in matters of enforcement of their policies or get rid of the policy. As a senior executive, my employees always knew that I had their back when it came to corporate policy as long as they enforced that policy with discretion and equity. Thanks for your post.

While this may be considered as a contradiction to my earlier post on this thread, I do agree with you. As for passenger complaints, Princess as the employer, needs to support their employees in matters of enforcement of their policies or get rid of the policy. As a senior executive, my employees always knew that I had their back when it came to corporate policy as long as they enforced that policy with discretion and equity. Thanks for your post.

BINGO!!!

Princess needs to back their crew when policies are enforced and not throw them under the bus!

BINGO!!!

Princess needs to back their crew when policies are enforced and not throw them under the bus!

Yes, but what if a disgruntled passenger concocts a story that has nothing to do with the true situation? A person losing a deck chair a number of times, being told that they can't save 3 seats in the theater or being denied access to the DR could do just that & a crew member who is rightly justified in doing their job might have to suffer because of a fictitious complaint.

I know if I were in that crew members place it's safer to just look the other way & never see anything. The crew members I've met just want to make everyone happy and not create problems that might come back to bite them.

We had a very awkward situation a few years ago on the Coral where a cabin steward (not ours by the way) did not demonstrate the proper sensitivity toward Dudette who was in her wheelchair. The width of the halls on the cabin decks on the Coral were certainly a contributing factor. I phoned Passenger Relations and later that day I had the housekeeping manager wanting to meet with us.

He had spoken with the steward and now wanted to hear our side of the story. We explained to him what had happened and his response was "it was in our hands, say the word and the steward would be sent home at the next port."

Our response was one of, we really didn't want the man to loose his job over the incident but instead his supervisor should spend some time instructing him on how to deal with disabled people. I am happy to say that when I followed up with the housekeeping manager a few days later the latter course of action had been taken. So I guess what I am saying is if everyone acts reasonably a solution can be had.

Yes, but what if a disgruntled passenger concocts a story that has nothing to do with the true situation? A person losing a deck chair a number of times, being told that they can't save 3 seats in the theater or being denied access to the DR could do just that & a crew member who is rightly justified in doing their job might have to suffer because of a fictitious complaint.

I know if I were in that crew members place it's safer to just look the other way & never see anything. The crew members I've met just want to make everyone happy and not create problems that might come back to bite them.

I'm sure there are low lives who would do just that. We can't instill morality in those raised by wolves-not to insult the wolves. If Princess started consistently backing the crew, these incidents would diminish in short order. Funny how Disney can uphold their policies and not worry about passengers making up stories.

I'm sure there are low lives who would do just that. We can't instill morality in those raised by wolves-not to insult the wolves. If Princess started consistently backing the crew, these incidents would diminish in short order. Funny how Disney can uphold their policies and not worry about passengers making up stories.

All I can say is that if my livelihood depended on passengers happiness I would do nothing to upset anyone. What does a crew member have to gain by irritating a passenger that they'll never see again after the cruise? His rating depends on how many people he pleases & just one bad card submitted can send it spiraling downward.