New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Does HAL allow transfer of a booking to a big box store that offers a gift card after the cruise as a perk? If so, would that booking be eligible for the gift card?

LAX

22 minutes ago, LAX said:

Does HAL allow transfer of a booking to a big box store that offers a gift card after the cruise as a perk? If so, would that booking be eligible for the gift card?

LAX

You can submit a transfer form w/in 60 (maybe 90) days of booking so long as it's not after final payment due date. The time frame is on the form. Your TA should have the form.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:13 AM, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Are there any outlets in the bathrooms?  I would love to bring my water pick.

Due to the limited counter space in the cabin, I bring a travel waterpick.  It's rechargeable, so I just use the outlets on the desk area.  Plus, it doesn't take up as much space in my luggage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Euby said:

Due to the limited counter space in the cabin, I bring a travel waterpick.  It's rechargeable, so I just use the outlets on the desk area.  Plus, it doesn't take up as much space in my luggage.

Very good idea.... thank you.

7 hours ago, LAX said:

LAX

Yes and yes. We booked a cruise for later this year directly with HAL when a favourite cabin became available; we wanted to quickly grab it before anyone else booked it. We then transferred the booking to the big box store, and will receive a $925 digital gift card at the conclusion of the cruise.

On 1/3/2015 at 8:53 AM, IRL_Joanie said:

You can go to the Lido and get a cup of coffee (available 24/7) or do what I do, which is bring a thermos (mine weighs less than 1 pound), fill it up at night just before bed, then when I wake I can either drink it on my verandah or wherever I wish (bathroom, sitting on sofa or...) without disturbing hubby.

Joanie

Questions about the coffee:  We love strong, hot coffee.  How is the coffie on the Lido?  I know I can buy it from their coffee counter for a price but its about $6 per day for 30 days.  Please advise.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:34 AM, FlaMariner said:

Yes.  There is an outlet in the bathroom. 

The outlet in the bathroom is for shavers only. I know I can’t use my hair dryer when plugged in it. Are you sure a waterpick can be used? I didn’t use it for my electric toothbrush out of caution. Also because the plug was near the ceiling.

On 3/3/2024 at 6:38 AM, terrydtx said:

Yes you can rent a mini fridge on the Volendam for a small daily fee. The Vista suites and up all have mini fridges on the Volendam.  We are booked on the Aug 20th Boston to Montreal Volendam cruise in a Vista Suite.

Does the refrig plug into the US outlet or European? I don’t want to lose the 1 US outlet by renting a refrig.

22 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Questions about the coffee:  We love strong, hot coffee.  How is the coffie on the Lido?  I know I can buy it from their coffee counter for a price but its about $6 per day for 30 days.  Please advise.

Being a retired sailor, I prefer coffee that melts your spoon. To me, the kind in the Lido is pretty strong. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Does the refrig plug into the US outlet or European? I don’t want to lose the 1 US outlet by renting a refrig.

Not sure as I have never had to rent one. You could always get a 3 way plug just in case.

26 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Not strong at all, I have to get my coffee from the Lido specialty coffee. Some days the Lido coffee is almost like dishwater in strength. I always have a drinks package so I get the specialty coffee for free.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:53 PM, 0106 said:

@ralfrick 

It is  was available on my recently disembarked Oosterdam cruise and is available on my Nieuw Statendam cruise next week (not that I am interested).

Just wondering, how long before the sailing date can you see the daily program (assuming you saw that the NS offers the game show there)? 

56 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Questions about the coffee:  We love strong, hot coffee.  How is the coffie on the Lido?

We consider the lido/MDR/room service coffee to be strong and yes, hot.  

(We enjoy the no surcharge coffee onboard)

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

The outlet in the bathroom is for shavers only. I know I can’t use my hair dryer when plugged in it. Are you sure a waterpick can be used? I didn’t use it for my electric toothbrush out of caution. Also because the plug was near the ceiling.

After you very informative comment, we decided not to take it.  thank you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not strong at all, I have to get my coffee from the Lido specialty coffee. Some days the Lido coffee is almost like dishwater in strength. I always have a drinks package so I get the specialty coffee for free.

Thats the way Celebrity is.  I guess they want to sell the coffee from the Coffee Barista. 

21 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We consider the lido/MDR/room service coffee to be strong and yes, hot.  

(We enjoy the no surcharge coffee onboard)

Just now, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Thats the way Celebrity is.  I guess they want to sell the coffee from the Coffee Barista. 

I guess time will tell.  But i have a feeling it will not be strong enough for our taste.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, deeeeeeem said:

Just wondering, how long before the sailing date can you see the daily program

You can see events on the Navigator app about a week before the cruise but the info is not 100% accurate until you board.

Just another question, on the pdf with all drinks included in the drink packages, it says the drink packages can’t be used at Dive In. I haven’t read this in other places (it doesn’t say that on HAL’s website for example). Is this true? If so, is there another place around the pool/sun deck where you can order drinks? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, deeeeeeem said:

Just another question, on the pdf with all drinks included in the drink packages, it says the drink packages can’t be used at Dive In. I haven’t read this in other places (it doesn’t say that on HAL’s website for example). Is this true? If so, is there another place around the pool/sun deck where you can order drinks? 

Lido bar is in the Lido pool area.  Sea view bar is near the sea view pool.  No problem getting a drink.

Edited by puppycanducruise

The drink package can’t be used at Half Moon Cay.  The Dive In only serves food and milk shakes.  I’ve never ordered a milk shake but they may not be part of the package.  There is a bar by the Lido pool very close to the Dive In and servers who will bring you a drink too.

10 minutes ago, deeeeeeem said:

What is Dive In?

3 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The drink package can’t be used at Half Moon Cay.  The Dive In only serves food and milk shakes.  I’ve never ordered a milk shake but they may not be part of the package.  There is a bar by the Lido pool very close to the Dive In and servers who will bring you a drink too.

Thanks (both)! I guess that’s the ‘problem’ indeed, I don’t think the milkshakes are included indeed. Good to know there are plenty of other options! 🙂 

4 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

What is Dive In?

Dive In is the included hot dogs, Hamburgers and tacos on the pool deck similar to Mast Grill on Celebrity.