New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I would suggest that people remember that the United States Dollar is NOT a universal currency. It is not gratefully accepted everywhere. Just like foreign currency is never gratefully accepted in the United States. Make your currency plans accordingly. On our voyage next year we will be dealing with at least 5 different currencies including Canadian and US. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jensue9 said:

Forgive me if this is a silly question but we are sailing on westerdam out of Auckland to Sydney. What currency do I tip in? I don’t mean the normal gratuities I mean things like room service etc. Australian dollars? US dollar? NZ dollars? 

The crew is used to US currency, so if you have that available fairly easily, it would be easier on them if you tip in US$. Otherwise, use what you have, and they will appreciate that, too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would suggest that people remember that the United States Dollar is NOT a universal currency.

Yes but US currency is the only currency accepted on HAL ships.  @Jensue9 ask about tipping on the ship for room service etc.  I was just replying to her question. Servers have told me tips in US currency are the easiest for them.  If you tip in Australian dollars, the only place they can easily spend them is if they are lucky enough to have time on shore in Australia.

HAL does provide currency exchange but at an unfavorable rate.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 2:30 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I would suggest that people remember that the United States Dollar is NOT a universal currency. It is not gratefully accepted everywhere.

It is the closest thing to a universal currency and in tourist situations is accepted as such. As a Canadian I carry credit cards (always 2) and US currency. On Med cruises I also carry Euros.

This is not applicable advice when spending significant time in a specific country or in the countryside but certainly works for cruisers. 

On 5/25/2024 at 2:30 PM, Blackduck59 said:

On our voyage next year we will be dealing with at least 5 different currencies including Canadian and US. 

At least 5?  Wow.

Edited by richstowe

3 hours ago, richstowe said:

It is the closest thing to a universal currency and in tourist situations is accepted as such. As a Canadian I carry credit cards (always 2) and US currency. On Med cruises I also carry Euros.

This is not applicable advice when spending significant time in a specific country or in the countryside but certainly works for cruisers. 

At least 5?  Wow.

See how happy they are if you try to use US Dollars in Australia or New Zealand. I would not even try to use it in Europe or the UK. It may be readily accepted in parts of Canada but not necessarily given a favourable exchange rate.

We travel with Credit Cards as well, that being said many places in Oz and New Zealand charge a % fee to use them.

Yes 5 currencies, Canadian (leaving and returning home), US (4 ports), Australian (we're there for about a month), and New Zealand (3 land days and 6 port stops),  and don't forget the Fijian dollar. So we  will have US dollars with us but we never think of it as "universal", good everywhere. Nor are any of the other currencies we will have. That is just this Canadian's opinion.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

See how happy they are if you try to use US Dollars in Australia or New Zealand. I would not even try to use it in Europe or the UK. It may be readily accepted in parts of Canada but not necessarily given a favourable exchange rate.

We travel with Credit Cards as well, that being said many places in Oz and New Zealand charge a % fee to use them.

Yes 5 currencies, Canadian (leaving and returning home), US (4 ports), Australian (we're there for about a month), and New Zealand (3 land days and 6 port stops),  and don't forget the Fijian dollar. So we  will have US dollars with us but we never think of it as "universal", good everywhere. Nor are any of the other currencies we will have. That is just this Canadian's opinion.

The only universal currency is chocolate, hands down😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Hi again 🤗. When booking my cruise on westerdam I had to take the last accessible cabin left and unfortunately it’s not a balcony. It is oceanview which is fine (hey I’m on a cruise!) but my question is in an oceanview cabin will I have an armchair or a couch? It’s just I’m not a good sleeper and sometimes need to get up and sit in a chair or on a couch due to my back. I know in princess who I’ve cruised mostly they have removed armchair or couch from all cabins below suite. 

4 minutes ago, Jensue9 said:

Hi again 🤗. When booking my cruise on westerdam I had to take the last accessible cabin left and unfortunately it’s not a balcony. It is oceanview which is fine (hey I’m on a cruise!) but my question is in an oceanview cabin will I have an armchair or a couch? It’s just I’m not a good sleeper and sometimes need to get up and sit in a chair or on a couch due to my back. I know in princess who I’ve cruised mostly they have removed armchair or couch from all cabins below suite. 

Can you give a cabin #? You can also check halfacts.com westerdam and look for your cabin. Lots of times there are pictures.

We are booked on Westerdam in an accessible signature suite cabin. It has a couch and 2 desks with 2 desk chairs (not a recliner)

13 minutes ago, Jensue9 said:

It is oceanview which is fine (hey I’m on a cruise!) but my question is in an oceanview cabin will I have an armchair or a couch?

An outside cabin on the Westerdam should have a couch, or at least a loveseat.
I haven't stayed in outside cabins, but am basing my answer on experience knowing the inside cabins have a couch or loveseat, depending on the category.

If the lowly insides do, the outsides must. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Can you give a cabin #? You can also check halfacts.com westerdam and look for your cabin. Lots of times there are pictures.

We are booked on Westerdam in an accessible signature suite cabin. It has a couch and 2 desks with 2 desk chairs (not a recliner)

Cabin number is 1082

11 minutes ago, Jensue9 said:

Cabin number is 1082

I will check for pictures..

Large Oceanview Stateroom

Deck: Main
Category: C
Size: Approximately 174 - 180 sq. ft.
Occupancy: 2 guests standard - some sleep 4
Amenities: Two lower beds convertible to a queen-size bed, some staterooms also have a sofa bed and one upper bunk to sleep two additional guests, private bathroom with bathtub and shower, window, flat-screen TV and DVD player, luxurious bathrobes for use during the cruise, Elemis Aromapure bath amenities, massage showerhead, hairdryer, safe, telephone, complimentary fresh fruit, and complimentary shoeshine service and ice service.
Fully Accessible Stateroom - Single Side Approach: 1081 and 1082 have a roll-in shower only.
Smoking Policy: Smoking is not permitted in staterooms or on balconies.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I will check for pictures..

Large Oceanview Stateroom

Deck: Main
Category: C
Size: Approximately 174 - 180 sq. ft.
Occupancy: 2 guests standard - some sleep 4
Amenities: Two lower beds convertible to a queen-size bed, some staterooms also have a sofa bed and one upper bunk to sleep two additional guests, private bathroom with bathtub and shower, window, flat-screen TV and DVD player, luxurious bathrobes for use during the cruise, Elemis Aromapure bath amenities, massage showerhead, hairdryer, safe, telephone, complimentary fresh fruit, and complimentary shoeshine service and ice service.
Fully Accessible Stateroom - Single Side Approach: 1081 and 1082 have a roll-in shower only.
Smoking Policy: Smoking is not permitted in staterooms or on balconies.

Thank you! Let’s hope! 

3 hours ago, Jensue9 said:

Cabin number is 1082

Hi!

It appears this is a handicap-accessible cabin and as such it does not have a sofa, rather a firm chair (desk chair) and a storage cube shown AT the desk. Here it is the mirror-image on the Oosterdam (sister ship):

https://halfacts.com/1081-oosterdam/

It also has a curb-less shower, per the diagram here:

image.thumb.png.24c5d461cf7d243062c90dbea8615d6c.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Hi!

It appears this is a handicap-accessible cabin and as such it does not have a sofa, rather a firm chair (desk chair) and a storage cube shown AT the desk. Here it is the mirror-image on the Oosterdam (sister ship):

https://halfacts.com/1081-oosterdam/

It also has a curb-less shower, per the diagram here:

image.thumb.png.24c5d461cf7d243062c90dbea8615d6c.png

Oh dear. Once onboard, if I asked nicely for a more comfortable chair or sofa they would bring me one? I’m happy to pay for it.

Edited by Jensue9

19 minutes ago, Jensue9 said:

Oh dear. Once onboard, if I asked nicely for a more comfortable chair or sofa they would bring me one? I’m happy to pay for it.

I'm sure it's not a charge-able request -- either it is available or not! You should start by asking your room steward(s) when they come around to introduce themselves. Escalate within housekeeping (ask stewards to ask their supervisor -- explain you don't need the extra room (which is left open for wheelchair or scooter users), but do need a more comfortable chair.

Hey, it just occurred to me -- this is a case for the Special Needs Department (which apparently has another name):

"Holland America Line does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of disability. We seek, to the extent feasible, to accommodate guests with disabilities. However, some needs require adequate time to prepare for a guest's arrival. It is recommended that guests make every effort to contact our Guest Accessibility Department and to submit a  Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form well in advance of the departure of their cruise and/or cruisetour. We recommend submitting an SRI upon booking or a minimum of 45 days prior to departure."

The underlined SRI Form link takes you to a page to enter your booking number and last name. But I can't manage to embed it. Go here:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/about/our-company/accessibility

and find the text I copied above, click link.

• Like 1

I am not new to HAL  but this is the second cruise I have this issue. I cannot book the flights myself on flightease. When I am able to access it and very often I cannot, i select the flight and put the info and then I get the message that the flight is no longer available.

Also when I monitor the price and it goes down I cannot do anything always the same message it is no longer available. I know it can happen but not every single time.

Anyone else have issues booking their flight on HAL site?

Can I specify a specific type of cabin and location with a waitlist request?  Do we have to book whatever is available in order to get on the waitlist for a different cabin?  Since the cruise is sailing on August 4, is it already too late because guaranteed and upgrade passengers are already being assigned? 

We have an August 4 cruise in mind, but there are no cabins available except inside and one oceanview.  DH won't sail in anything below a veranda and I can't sail in a forward or high deck cabin (sea sickness).  I know: fussy, fussy.

24 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Can I specify a specific type of cabin and location with a waitlist request?  Do we have to book whatever is available in order to get on the waitlist for a different cabin?  Since the cruise is sailing on August 4, is it already too late because guaranteed and upgrade passengers are already being assigned? 

We have an August 4 cruise in mind, but there are no cabins available except inside and one oceanview.  DH won't sail in anything below a veranda and I can't sail in a forward or high deck cabin (sea sickness).  I know: fussy, fussy.

If DH won't sail in anything less than a Verandah, you may want to look at a different cruise and date. Sounds like the cruise you want is nearly sold out. Do you use a TA, if so have them answer this question for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I've never heard of the waitlist, but I can tell you that for a cruise in August there is no way they are already assigning guarantee guests - that won't happen for a couple of months, maybe late July at the earliest. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lance1224 said:

Where is the Club Orange restaurant located on the Zaandam?

Only the Pinnacle ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam) have a separate Club Orange restaurant. On all others, there is a separate line to enter the MDR if you have Any Time dining.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Only the Pinnacle ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam) have a separate Club Orange restaurant. On all others, there is a separate line to enter the MDR if you have Any Time dining.

The separate CO line in the MDR will get CO guests seated before other guests in the anytime dining waiting lines. Also you will get an CO menu with the extra CO special menu items for that night.

• Like 1