New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

On 4/15/2024 at 5:32 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am unable to click on the Account button to open anything at all. It’s a completely dead link. Not sure why.

I am able to go to Manage My Cruise but cannot open anything once I select a booking . I have what has been described on CC as a “white screen” problem. Everything opens to a blank white screen. There’s a current thread going on this issue that I’ve been following and I also found an older post with suggestions that I will try tonite. 

Ironically, the Make a Payment link works just fine. I was able to pay the balance for the cruise. No problem. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

Just a note for anyone else who may have technical difficulties with the HAL website in the future. Updating my iOS to the newest version helped somewhat. I can now Manage My Cruise! I no longer have the dreaded white screen issue. Hallelujah. 

However, this has not fixed my Account button — unfortunately it’s still a completely dead link.

What information am I missing by not being able to open my Account? Hope it’s nothing too important … lol. 
(I cannot see onboard credits or our Club Orange purchase but HAL said there is no way to see this on the website at this point anyway). Thanks. 

• Like 1

First, what a great thread! Nice to have a place to ask questions after exhausting the search function, so thanks in advance for your help. 

We are not HAL newbies, but have only 5 or 6 cruises with them, most of our cruises being on Princess. We got caught up in the $1 deposit promotion today and, for that price, leaped before we looked, booking the 51-night South Pacific cruise on the Zaandam, because, well, that itinerary (wow!).  I’m now doing the too familiar analysis about HIA vs. having none of it.  Gratuities not being included doesn’t help me convince myself that we need it, but I am most concerned about the internet. We must be able to check security cams at home and financial accounts with some frequency. What level of internet do we need to check Wyze cams?  Because it doesn’t sound like what we get with HIA will do it. And, if anyone has been on the Zaandam recently, I’ve read reports about underperforming WiFi off the coast of Mexico, and can’t imagine it’s going to be better in the South Pacific. Someone offered that additional routers might be added during drydock. When is that scheduled, does anyone know?

I desperately want to be on a small ship in those ports, but have already spent months in the South Pacific on a ship with dismal internet and no place to get WiFi in port and that wasn’t fun. 

50 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

First, what a great thread! Nice to have a place to ask questions after exhausting the search function, so thanks in advance for your help. 

We are not HAL newbies, but have only 5 or 6 cruises with them, most of our cruises being on Princess. We got caught up in the $1 deposit promotion today and, for that price, leaped before we looked, booking the 51-night South Pacific cruise on the Zaandam, because, well, that itinerary (wow!).  I’m now doing the too familiar analysis about HIA vs. having none of it.  Gratuities not being included doesn’t help me convince myself that we need it, but I am most concerned about the internet. We must be able to check security cams at home and financial accounts with some frequency. What level of internet do we need to check Wyze cams?  Because it doesn’t sound like what we get with HIA will do it. And, if anyone has been on the Zaandam recently, I’ve read reports about underperforming WiFi off the coast of Mexico, and can’t imagine it’s going to be better in the South Pacific. Someone offered that additional routers might be added during drydock. When is that scheduled, does anyone know?

I desperately want to be on a small ship in those ports, but have already spent months in the South Pacific on a ship with dismal internet and no place to get WiFi in port and that wasn’t fun. 

Perhaps @richwmn could help with this as they recently completed a similar voyage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I am most concerned about the internet. We must be able to check security cams at home and financial accounts with some frequency. What level of internet do we need to check Wyze cams?  Because it doesn’t sound like what we get with HIA will do it.

If you get HIA with Surf level Wifi, you can upgrade to Premium level on board. You can upgrade just one device. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If you get HIA with Surf level Wifi, you can upgrade to Premium level on board. You can upgrade just one device. 

Correction! I should have said "You can upgrade just one MEMBER (or subscription?)". You can pass that Premium sign-on to any number of devices, only one at a time and each one much log in as the upgraded "person". 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 8:09 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

Thank you — all good suggestions, but this time I would like to purchase shipboard credit with the gift cards. Would like to do this online, otherwise I’ll give HAL a call. Thx. 

You can do this onboard as well. I went to Guest Services with a list of gift cards, and they were added to my onboard account as OBC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another question .. I know that a daily ship board gratuity will automatically be added to our account based on our cabin category. But, how are gratuities handled for excursions? Is the gratuity included in the HAL excursion price? Or, do you bring cash to tip at the end of every excursion? Thanks so much.

Edited by Ileneilene123

1 hour ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Another question .. I know that a daily ship board gratuity will automatically be added to our account based on our cabin category. But, how are gratuities handled for excursions? Is the gratuity included in the HAL excursion price? Or, do you bring cash to tip at the end of every excursion? Thanks so much.

As @M&L-Colorado said, excursion tips are cash at the end.  You'll want to notice if driver and guide are collecting separately or splitting them; I've seen there's no standard way.

• Thanks 1

I'm new to HA after a couple of Viking Ocean cruises.  I loved the Viking experience but the value proposition of HA is hard to ignore so I want to give it a try. I'm looking at a cruise on the Noordam, joining a couple who are already booked on a cruise in a Neptune suite. I will be joining them solo and will be going for an Ocean View or Veranda suite. 

I prefer self-service for breakfast. All I want is toasted bread (toasted by me, to my darkness requirements 🙂 ), fresh fruit, and a few cafe lattes. Viking has a 'pretty decent' self-service espresso machine in the buffet - it's not perfect, but it's better than waiting in a long line for a custom-made latte. Does HA have anything like this available with the breakfast buffet?  If not, what are my options for a latte? As I understand it, the 'HIA' package includes specialty coffees so I guess that means Cafe Lattes are not free? I typically drink 2 or 3 of them in quick succession and don't like to wait, which is why the machine is such a good option. 

image.thumb.png.ab18abcdb89174dfb0f43ba2cea247f7.png

Since I'll be in a basic room and my friends will be in a Neptune suite, what options do I have to be able to dine with them?  Are there restaurants they can use that I can't? This description suggests there's no exclusive dinner restaurants that Neptune gets that I don't, other than perhaps reservations at the Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto.  They suggested I get the 'club orange' deal in order to be able to dine with them, but all I see in the Club Orange description related to dining is 'Priority seating in the Dining Room for breakfast and dinner with an expanded menu'.  

The 'Have It All' package refers to: ‘Specialty dining: Dinner at a fine dining restaurant’, and 'Enhance your cruise with award-winning specialty dining at Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto or Tamarind' - does that just mean ONE dinner at one of the specialty restaurants is included in HIA?  

I don't drink alcohol so have no real need for a 'beverage' package, other than for the 'specialty coffees' (which I can't live without).  I also drink a lot of sparkling water with meals - is that included? 

Also - if I don't purchase the HIA package, do I get any internet access at all - is there a basic level of access provided for all? 

Edit to add: One final thing - I saw in this thread some mention of 'open seating' and 'designated seating' (or similar).  We tend to eat later (7pm or later). How exactly does designated seating work? 

One more thing - if I don't dine with them some evenings, will I have trouble eating alone? I'm not always in the mood for dining with strangers. 

Thanks for getting me started on my HA journey! 

Edited by Steerpike58

Welcome to HAL! All specialty coffees incur a charge, as does sparkling water. If you don't drink alcohol, you might consider the Quench Beverage package instead. That will cover both lattes and Perrier, canned water and several other non-alcoholic drinks. 

There are no nifty espresso machines like you had on Viking for self-service in the Lido Market (buffet), only regular coffee. I'm not sure if Noordam has it but on our last cruise on Rotterdam there was a specialty coffee machine in the buffet, but you had to get a crew member to dispense it and there was a charge. It was never really busy though. 

There are lots of threads about Club Orange; in your case it might be worth it, because you are travelling with suite guests who get it automatically. That way, you get priority dining room access too, and can go at any time, not fixed seating. There is an extra entree choice on the menu, along with a few other perks. The nicest feature is the free upgrade to best available cabin in your category. 

All restaurants are available to you; you can make a reservation at Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill. 

Screenshot_20240422-233355_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

I prefer self-service for breakfast. All I want is toasted bread (toasted by me, to my darkness requirements 🙂 ), fresh fruit, and a few cafe lattes. Viking has a 'pretty decent' self-service espresso machine in the buffet - it's not perfect, but it's better than waiting in a long line for a custom-made latte. Does HA have anything like this available with the breakfast buffet?  If not, what are my options for a latte? As I understand it, the 'HIA' package includes specialty coffees so I guess that means Cafe Lattes are not free? I typically drink 2 or 3 of them in quick succession and don't like to wait, which is why the machine is such a good option. There are no self-service espresso machines on HAL, except maybe in the Neptune Lounge (?). There are Nespresso type machines IN neptune suites but I have not heard much good about them! Also I have no memory of seeing anyone toast their own bread in the Lido. The Exploration Cafe is on Deck 3 on the Noordam, starboard between midship and forward stairwells/elevators. Lattes are not free, but they are reasonable and probably not worth booking with HIA.

<<snip>>

I'll let someone else answer about Club Orange. 

The 'Have It All' package refers to: ‘Specialty dining: Dinner at a fine dining restaurant’, and 'Enhance your cruise with award-winning specialty dining at Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto or Tamarind' - does that just mean ONE dinner at one of the specialty restaurants is included in HIA? (1) The number of specialty dinners included in HIA depends on the length of the cruise, which you did not mention. (2) There is no Tamarind on the Noordam.  

I don't drink alcohol so have no real need for a 'beverage' package, other than for the 'specialty coffees' (which I can't live without).  I also drink a lot of sparkling water with meals - is that included? Sparkling water is not included, AFAIK. Specialty coffees and sparkling water can be bought without any beverage package.

Also - if I don't purchase the HIA package, do I get any internet access at all - is there a basic level of access provided for all? There is no included internet access. There are three levels of WiFi available: Surf which is only part of standard (not Early Booking Bonus) HIA, and is good for limited sites and capabilities. Premium good for anything except Streaming sites. And Streaming level (self-explanatory?). The internet is very good (usually) as the whole fleet has StarLink. It is all the same "speed" just fewer sites blocked as you buy up. You can upgrade on board if you find you need blocked sites. You can buy one or four concurrent devices, but you can sign onto the one-device plan with different devices, just not at the same time. 

Edit to add: One final thing - I saw in this thread some mention of 'open seating' and 'designated seating' (or similar).  We tend to eat later (7pm or later). How exactly does designated seating work? Neptune suites do not get their own restaurant on Noordam, so if you and your friends choose Fixed Late (or Main) Dining, and link your bookings, you will have an assigned table and can even seat yourselves once you know where it is.

One more thing - if I don't dine with them some evenings, will I have trouble eating alone? You are not supposed to eat in the Open Dining Main Dining Room if you are assigned to a Fixed level table. You will have no trouble eating in the Lido Market (buffet), esp. at that later time you prefer. It is good manners to let your Fixed Dining waiter know you are not coming, but your friends can inform at the time.

There is a fare option you have to call HAL (or use a PCC) to book with. It is called Advantage and has a refundable deposit, but none of the perks of HIA. Then you can purchase just the perks you want.

ETA: do expand my quoted selection of your post, above. I've answered individual questions in RED!

Edited by crystalspin

14 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I'm new to HA after a couple of Viking Ocean cruises.  I loved the Viking experience but the value proposition of HA is hard to ignore so I want to give it a try....

Thanks for the detailed replies to my message; I'll review and digest the info and probably come back with more questions shortly.   In the meantime, I did a sample booking and was surprised to see the very high premium associated with choosing your own room!  For a basic 'ocean view' room on a 14-day cruise, the difference between choosing my own room vs letting HA assign it was $700 - 

image.png.b36144c050c6f3b489c7d60f60150968.png

(and I think the premium was higher if I chose a better room class).  Is this always the case and why do they charge such a premium?  

The more I go through the details, the more I see the 'value proposition' eroding between HA and Viking!  The 'starting price' for HA is much lower, but - Viking include specialty coffees, sparkling water, basic wine/beer with meals, basic WiFi, specific room choice, one excursion per port, (some) specialty dining, and probably more I haven't figured out yet!  It's still hopefully going to be cheaper, but not by as much as I first thought. I guess that's somewhat obvious! (not trying to turn this into a Viking vs HA debate, just making some observations!). 

14 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Welcome to HAL! All specialty coffees incur a charge, as does sparkling water. If you don't drink alcohol, you might consider the Quench Beverage package instead. That will cover both lattes and Perrier, canned water and several other non-alcoholic drinks. 

Thanks for informing me about the 'quench' package! Works out at $21/day it seems - probably worth it if i drink 2-3 lattes and a few bottles of sparkling water, which is my daily dose. But it does say ''Enjoy ... bottled water ... and Exploration's Cafe Beverages".  I'm still not clear on where exactly I can get a latte on the ship to have with my breakfast; I want to have the latte with my breakfast buffet; is that 'Exploration Cafe'? (You mention Lido Cafe above). With coffee, I don't touch a drop after breakfast, but during breakfast, I want them fast and furious! 

14 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:
There are no nifty espresso machines like you had on Viking for self-service in the Lido Market (buffet), only regular coffee. I'm not sure if Noordam has it but on our last cruise on Rotterdam there was a specialty coffee machine in the buffet, but you had to get a crew member to dispense it and there was a charge. It was never really busy though. 

There are lots of threads about Club Orange; in your case it might be worth it, because you are travelling with suite guests who get it automatically. That way, you get priority dining room access too, and can go at any time, not fixed seating. There is an extra entree choice on the menu, along with a few other perks. The nicest feature is the free upgrade to best available cabin in your category. 

All restaurants are available to you; you can make a reservation at Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill. 

Since my friends already have the benefits of Club Orange, and will presumably make reservations and get seated, won't I simply be able to join them at their table, without needing my own 'priority access'? The extra entrees is obviously a benefit. 

When you say "all restaurants are available to you, you can make a reservation at Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill" (with the Club Orange), is that unlimited - like, every night if I so desired? 

Edited by Steerpike58
Prematurely hit send!

15 hours ago, crystalspin said:

ETA: do expand my quoted selection of your post, above. I've answered individual questions in RED!

Thanks for all your detailed responses!  Very helpful!  I'll try to ask follow on questions in context ... let's see if this works ...

(crystalspin said): 

There are Nespresso type machines IN neptune suites but I have not heard much good about them! Also I have no memory of seeing anyone toast their own bread in the Lido. The Exploration Cafe is on Deck 3 on the Noordam, starboard between midship and forward stairwells/elevators. Lattes are not free, but they are reasonable and probably not worth booking with HIA.

I hate Nespresso machines; I just want steamed milk with an espresso shot. The Exploration Cafe is on Deck 3; Google tells me the Lido Cafe is on deck 9 ... so I'd be running up and down stairs to go between the two. Is the Lido the main location for breakfast buffet, and can I at least order a latte in the Lido (served, and paid for)?  Regarding toast - every breakfast buffet I've seen in the past few years (cruises, hotels, etc) has had a pile of fresh bread next to either a toaster, toaster oven or a 'conveyor belt' toaster.  Do HA simply provide a stock of recently toasted bread in the buffet?  I like my toast fresh, and 'very' dark (I call it cremated, for emphasis!). 

To restate my desires - I feel like my needs are incredibly 'basic' for breakfast - I don't want bacon/eggs/omelets/sausages/benedicts/porridge/cereal/pancakes, etc - just fresh toast, lattes, and fresh fruit. I guess I could 'place an order' for a latte if that's possible in the lido, but if it's a true 'buffet' (pure self-serve), maybe not? The Viking 'buffet' is more like a full-service restaurant that just happens to have a lot of stuff ready to be picked up.  It has an army of cooks and waiters on hand ready to custom make everything, and they'll get you the latte if you ask (I just prefer to do it myself as it's faster). 

(crystalspin said): 

The number of specialty dinners included in HIA depends on the length of the cruise, which you did not mention.

Duration would be 14 days. 

My travelling companions are HA veterans but they've been doing Neptune for so long I don't think they remember what it was like to be in the lower grade rooms!  But they did suggest I get Club Orange, making it sound like I would need to do that to be able to hang out with them easily. 

Thanks again for your help! 

Edit to add (since no replies yet!)

This description says (about the Lido Restaurant, at night)  "A casual dinner with waiter service, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., incorporates a couple of entrees from the dining-room menu and other options, along with multiple appetizers, soups, salads and desserts." So does that mean, Lido switches from Buffet (breakfast and lunch) to 'waiter service' for dinner, and if so, does that mean there's no full-blown 'buffet' for dinner? Using the Viking example again, their 'World Cafe' 'buffet' is more of a hybrid full serve/buffet than a classic buffet; they have plenty of cooks on hand ready to grill a steak, salmon, mahi-mahi, tuna, etc plus there's an array of prepared items to take (eg, 'side dishes').  They don't serve you at the table - you have to walk up and either pick up food or order and wait for food. So is there anything like that with the Noordam? 

Edited by Steerpike58

1 hour ago, Steerpike58 said:

Thanks for informing me about the 'quench' package! Works out at $21/day it seems - probably worth it if i drink 2-3 lattes and a few bottles of sparkling water, which is my daily dose. But it does say ''Enjoy ... bottled water ... and Exploration's Cafe Beverages".  I'm still not clear on where exactly I can get a latte on the ship to have with my breakfast; I want to have the latte with my breakfast buffet; is that 'Exploration Cafe'? (You mention Lido Cafe above). With coffee, I don't touch a drop after breakfast, but during breakfast, I want them fast and furious! 

Since my friends already have the benefits of Club Orange, and will presumably make reservations and get seated, won't I simply be able to join them at their table, without needing my own 'priority access'? The extra entrees is obviously a benefit. 

When you say "all restaurants are available to you, you can make a reservation at Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill" (with the Club Orange), is that unlimited - like, every night if I so desired? 

Regardless of whether you have Club Orange or not, you can book a specialty restaurant.  You can do this online prior to the cruise, or on board. 

Club Orange is a little trickier to describe. On only 3 ships is there a separate, private dining room just for CO. Noordam is not one of them. So far, we have only had CO on the private dining room ships. Therefore, you visit the MDR for dinner using the marked kiosk to go in right away. I do not know whether there is a special section within it or if you are seated wherever is empty. Hopefully someone who has had CO lately on Noordam will know!

When is your cruise? We will be on Noordam the end of May and can describe what happens then if nobody else responds.

CO has limited availability and you need to determine if it is still available. It costs $15 day x  14 = $210.  I would say to follow  Crystalspin's advice and call HAL, or ask your travel agent for the Advantage fare for a guarantee OV or balcony, and any other guidance they may have for booking. Then add CO for $210. Then be ready with a deck plan to choose the best one available according to your TA for no extra cost. 

Is there a "for purchase" espresso machine in the Lido? - I don't know yet, again maybe someone else does! Otherwise you are looking at going to Explorations Cafe. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

(and I think the premium was higher if I chose a better room class).  Is this always the case and why do they charge such a premium?  

The more I go through the details, the more I see the 'value proposition' eroding between HA and Viking!  The 'starting price' for HA is much lower, but - Viking include specialty coffees, sparkling water, basic wine/beer with meals, basic WiFi, specific room choice, one excursion per port, (some) specialty dining, and probably more I haven't figured out yet!  It's still hopefully going to be cheaper, but not by as much as I first thought. I guess that's somewhat obvious! (not trying to turn this into a Viking vs HA debate, just making some observations!). 

We cruised on Viking twice before our first HAL cruise, and once we started on HAL we never looked back. We have the same reason you mentioned - we didn't think the difference in price was justified - but we also like the HAL itineraries and the staff.

Remember, the main benefit of Club Orange is the room upgrade; so, if you pay for the cheapest verandah category you have your agent or HAL consultant while you're making the booking, talk to the right dept. at HAL and upgrade you to the stateroom you want. Nice savings.

You won't have access to the Neptune lounge as they do, but there are several small things that go with the CO are convenient, and some that make it easier for you to be with them otherwise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Thanks for the detailed replies to my message; I'll review and digest the info and probably come back with more questions shortly.   In the meantime, I did a sample booking and was surprised to see the very high premium associated with choosing your own room!  For a basic 'ocean view' room on a 14-day cruise, the difference between choosing my own room vs letting HA assign it was $700 - 

image.png.b36144c050c6f3b489c7d60f60150968.png

If you get Club Orange and book the lowest class 'guaranteed' cabin I'm pretty sure you can use the Club Orange complimentary upgrade to upgrade to a specific cabin in the highest class within your category.

Hi all. HAL newbie here. Just a quick question. We have HIA onboard which includes 1 speciality dining. I’m understanding that it’s better to book this online as they get filled up fast. I’m trying to do this both on the app and the website but there’s nothing happening. Is this because they’re full or am I trying to book too early. Our cruise is in August this year. TIA

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If you get Club Orange and book the lowest class 'guaranteed' cabin I'm pretty sure you can use the Club Orange complimentary upgrade to upgrade to a specific cabin in the highest class within your category.

Yes that is true and how we got the cabin we wanted on our upcoming Volendam cruise by adding CO when we booked.

• Like 1