Gratuities

In your dreams

I would prefer if all cruise lines did away with "gratuities" and simply raised the per day price accordingly. After all, if it is automatically added it really isn't a tip...it is a fee.

What difference does it make what it is called or how it is charged? If it is automatically added to the on board account, it gets paid. If they add it as a fee, it also get's paid. If they add it to the fare, you will still pay it. It's still the same money out of your pocket. If you prefer that it is included as a fee, than when you pay it, trick yourself and in your mind call it a "fee".

We pre-pay at time of final payment. Whether it is a fee, a service charge, a gift, a donation, a bribe, a tithe, protection money, a tax, part of the fare, or a tip, it's all the same to us. We budget for it and we pay it, and we never squawk or moan and groan about it, or endlessly complain about how unfair, irrational, incorrectly titled it is. We feel it is well worth it because we ALWAYS get much better service than we probably deserve, and gladly pay it - as a tip, as a fee, as a fare, whatever the cruise lines want to call it.

I don't get why the heck some people struggle with this so much!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by boogs

If I chose to not tip, I wouldn't tell the server before anymore than I would tell a server at a restaurant at home. But you obviously missed my point about telling someone to take a different vacation if they can't or won't tip.

Would you prefer it if you boss let you work for a week before letting you know you weren't getting paid?

I don't get why the heck some people struggle with this so much!!! :confused::confused::confused:

I'll probably get deleted or sent to the naughty corner for a week for saying this.

So they feel they're more superior and their lessers need to earn their pay.

I would prefer if all cruise lines did away with "gratuities" and simply raised the per day price accordingly. After all, if it is automatically added it really isn't a tip...it is a fee.

Essentially that's what they've done with the Australian-based ships, and I believe they've also adjusted drink prices and other optional extras to include the service charge in the price.

What difference does it make what it is called or how it is charged? If it is automatically added to the on board account, it gets paid. If they add it as a fee, it also get's paid. If they add it to the fare, you will still pay it. It's still the same money out of your pocket. If you prefer that it is included as a fee, than when you pay it, trick yourself and in your mind call it a "fee".

We pre-pay at time of final payment. Whether it is a fee, a service charge, a gift, a donation, a bribe, a tithe, protection money, a tax, part of the fare, or a tip, it's all the same to us. We budget for it and we pay it, and we never squawk or moan and groan about it, or endlessly complain about how unfair, irrational, incorrectly titled it is. We feel it is well worth it because we ALWAYS get much better service than we probably deserve, and gladly pay it - as a tip, as a fee, as a fare, whatever the cruise lines want to call it.

Well said - you hit the nail on the proverbial head. :) As far as I'm concerned the crew earns every bit of the amount - and more.

DITTO! WHAT S/HE SAID!

Just another point. IF the cruiselines changed the model and just included these fees in the cruise fare, the cruiselines would show a higher income and have to pay higher taxes, and that would in turn be passed on to the cruiser. So in the long run, the cruiser would pay even more.

On some cruiselines, it is no longer called a tip or gratuity, but a HOTEL SERVICE CHARGE.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHOOSE TO CRUISE, THEN JUST CONSIDER IT PART OF THE VACATION COST, AND GIVE IT A REST!

DITTO! WHAT S/HE SAID!

Just another point. IF the cruiselines changed the model and just included these fees in the cruise fare, the cruiselines would show a higher income and have to pay higher taxes, and that would in turn be passed on to the cruiser. So in the long run, the cruiser would pay even more.

On some cruiselines, it is no longer called a tip or gratuity, but a HOTEL SERVICE CHARGE.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHOOSE TO CRUISE, THEN JUST CONSIDER IT PART OF THE VACATION COST, AND GIVE IT A REST!

Man does that ever apply to about half the thread topics I see.

But...this is a discussion board, people are free (so an degree) to offer their opinions and discuss the topics of their choosing. In the same manner, people are free to disagree and/or ignore the topics they are growing tired of seeing.

Man does that ever apply to about half the thread topics I see.

But...this is a discussion board, people are free (so an degree) to offer their opinions and discuss the topics of their choosing. In the same manner, people are free to disagree and/or ignore the topics they are growing tired of seeing.

Yes, it is a discussion board. But, some people take this to mean it is a complaint department, and dump some of the most illogical, unreasonable, and petty complaints here for the rest of us to wade through trying to avoid such nonsense. I have been around for a long time, and it still amazes me how petty some people get with their complaints. I am convinced that tolerance and common sense is rapidly becoming extinct.

Discussion is good as people are exposed to new thoughts and views on topics. Complaining does little but cast a cloud over the boards and rarely, if ever, produces anything productive.

Edited by swsfrail

Yes, it is a discussion board. But, some people take this to mean it is a complaint department, and dump some of the most illogical, unreasonable, and petty complaints here for the rest of us to wade through trying to avoid such nonsense. I have been around for a long time, and it still amazes me how petty some people get with their complaints. I am convinced that tolerance and common sense is rapidly becoming extinct.

Discussion is good as people are exposed to new thoughts and views on topics. Complaining does little but cast a cloud over the boards and rarely, if ever, produces anything productive.

You mean like complaining about people complaining? :D (just kidding).

For the most part...I agree with you.

Don't forget about room service, the staff bringing you your order are usually volunteers working for extra tips. If you remove your auto tips you are shorting many behind the scenes workers and the buffet staff.

None of the staff are volunteers.

no staff "volunteers" for room service delivery. Its either part of their regular duty or its added duty by their supervisor. On some cruise lines the dsc/autotip or whatever they call it includes some money for them and its so stated. I still leave a couple of bucks or more for them- no coins no $2 bills.