Hawaii?

Karen Lynn

Eyeing Hawaii next spring...

Any difference in anyone opinion embarking in Vancouver, Los Angeles or San Francisco apart from different embarkation cities?

I'm leaning towards the Star Princess in April from San Fran.

Also, waters...better in April than March?

Thanks!!!

Unless they have changed something in the last while San Fransisco is the worst port I have ever had to use. You have to wait outside on the side walk, no shelter and no where to sit, until disembarkation is completed and they are ready to receive you. Then you have to walk through the warehouse loading area with the trucks, to get to the processing area. LA and Vancouver are 2 of the best ports for embarkation and disembarkation.

Any difference in anyone opinion embarking in Vancouver, Los Angeles or San Francisco apart from different embarkation cities?

Thanks!!!

SF is opening a new Terminal next month (September 2014).

While not totally predictable, the seas and temps from SF and Vancouver with be generally the same in March and April.

As is commonly discussed on the Hawaii board, March would be far better for the whale season.

On the basis of having embarked/disembarked very smoothly in San Pedro a number of times times, and having one nightmarish experience embarking in SFO, for all the reasons listed above ....... I would definitely choose San Pedro. They are very good at what they do, and have the routines down pat. It would take a particularly intriguing itinerary to get me to take another cruise out of SFO .

For us, sailing under the GGB is a wonderful treat so we are doing it again from San Fran to Hawaii the end of next April :D:D and I am sure with the new cruise terminal it will be an even better experience ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHIv9FbFrBp6Z6dvA3Yvnu8xhwn_cbmpnFGngv1FvV5PweNlBE

Cruising under the Golden Gate bridge is totally awesome. Now that the NEW terminal will soon be open, you will no longer have to stand out on the Embarcadero. They have a drop off place at the new port much like the one in Ft Lauderdale. Plus SF is a great city to visit before your cruise. I would therefore go with SF.

Thanks!!!

My DW and I sailed the Star two years ago, and loved her. We sailed out of SFO, and we're expecting the problems. The entrance is on a busy street, with trucks and buses bringing ship supplies, and regular vehicle traffic. My DW is platinum, so we went a separate waiting room. We checked in at 1130, and was on board by 1230. There isn't much room on the sidewalk, with both people disembarking, and those embarking. Also the 15 day cruise have a lot of elderly cruisers, (I'm 65) and we had 4 passengers die on our cruise. Except for the last statement, we really enjoyed the cruise. Enjoy.

Have gone to Hawaii from both San Pedro and San Francisco. Full Disclosure - I'm a Bay Area Baby (born and bred) so.....I prefer the San Francisco departure. Sailing under the GG, lots of interesting non-industrial things to see on deck while awaiting departure and an extra day.

I would suggest waiting until the new terminal opens and is reviewed ('cause you KNOW we will have an opinion!) and see if the embarkation is a little more sane than from the current pier. Though for me, part of the charm of leaving from SF was the interesting things from the Chinese New Year parade that are stored in the pier. Just makes it a little more fun for me and I will miss seeing the monkeys.

Another thing you might consider is the itinerary. If you sail out of Vancouver, you won't stop at Ensenada. When sailing out of San Francisco or San Pedro, you will stop at Ensenada.

Aloha,

Very true, but also keep in mind that usually when you cruise from Vancouver to Hawai'i you have one more sea day on each end. That's a bonus for some and a negative for others.

Aloha,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

I know there have been posts about nightmares in San Francisco and we were expecting issues. We sailed out of Pier 35 in March and arrived just before noon. We were able to drop off our luggage with the porters and check in with no delay. Boarding had just begun and we got on in time for lunch in the DR. Maybe it depends on the time you get there. The above is all moot now with the new terminal opening shortly. We will be doing a port visit at the new terminal on the Crown in October.

We were on a Mexico cruise in March and they did something very different. Everyone dropped off the customs declarations two days before embarkation and non U.S. Citizens had to go for an interview. That process allowed us to clear customs and immigration on board. When we disembarked we just walked off, picked up our checked bags and were on our way. They apparently don't even do that every cruise from San Francisco, but it was a pleasant end to the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On the basis of having embarked/disembarked very smoothly in San Pedro a number of times times, and having one nightmarish experience embarking in SFO, for all the reasons listed above ....... I would definitely choose San Pedro. They are very good at what they do, and have the routines down pat. It would take a particularly intriguing itinerary to get me to take another cruise out of SFO .

I agree.

LA/ San Pedro is the smoothest and nicest for embarkation and disembarkation. If this is of prime importance to you, choose San Pedro.

If seeing the sights in San Francisco or Vancouver is your priority, then that is different. Enjoy and psych for tougher embark/debark.

I have been to all three. I have chosen San Pedro for three straight Hawaii cruises.

Not to argue - I'm really not that much of a chauvinist - but I've experienced a miserably delayed disembarkation in San Pedro, and it's not like the L.A. freeway system is all that swell. At least here in SFO we have a functioning rapid transit system that drops you off a short walk from the port.

As has been stated, there's a new terminal with new traffic patterns due to open soon. On multiple departures from here, I've never found it as nightmarish as has been stated. And here's one significant difference: once you board in SFO you're right at one of the most famous waterfronts in the world, with a killer view of the Bay Bridge. In San Pedro, you're in an industrial area with killer views of cranes. And once you sail off from SFO, you see the City, Marin, and sail right under the Golden Gate Bridge. If any of that is important to you.

Keep in mind that whatever port you sail from, at that time of yea, there's a real probability of cool, windy weather for the first and last days of the cruise. And honestly, though I love sea days, I found my one Hawaii cruise sort of a letdown, maybe because I've spent a goodly amount of time on the Islands before. A whole lot of open water for a very few days in Paradise. So, to ring changes on what the last poster said, if spending relaxed time in Hawaii is important to you, fly.

Edited by shepp

Just to follow up on my previous post: here are views of the ports and sailaway views from SFO and San Pedro.

And - no offense to anyone - it seems silly to downgrade a departure terminal that's not even open yet.

And whoops...sorry for the double post...can't delete the earlier one.

SFO.jpg.64242db87e409fb0b5e7211ea9b6b36a.jpg

sfo2.jpg.6ac6e827cc3efd0bf7ebe06b1e9321e2.jpg

1346871939_SanPedro.jpg.f2dccdac80f41b5c8897dd5f0aecdf1c.jpg

1061974816_SanPedro2.jpg.f4428c5e6ea9a85393ce8a5f53c117e5.jpg

Edited by shepp

H Though for me, part of the charm of leaving from SF was the interesting things from the Chinese New Year parade that are stored in the pier. Just makes it a little more fun for me and I will miss seeing the monkeys.

For auld lang syne!

monkeys.jpg.e876ecf15f147a242077e91bd2fc1307.jpg

We have sailed from Vancouver, San Pedro, and San Francisco. Each port offers some differences, but I think depending on the time of arrival for embarkation, you can avoid all the waiting. We generally arrive around 12:30, and have not any wait problems. Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is exciting, but the water can sometimes be a bit rougher or fog a problem depending on what time of the year you sail. We liked the extra time sailing from Vancouver, and San Pedro can have traffic issues as well, or in one instance, as teamster stoke with delays in getting the luggage unloaded. I'm sure that what ever port you chose, you will have a wonderful time on your cruise to Hawaii.

If you are choosing to go in April on the Star you will leaf from the NEW port building in San Francisco which looks very nice and modern. We will be on this cruise and have cruised from S.F. many times before. Arriving after noon there has never been a long wait for us.If you like sea days you will love this cruise, I also wished we had more time on Islands but it is still one of our favorite cruise to go on. If you have the time and $$ try to get to the Bay area a few days before your cruise, it is such an interesting city to visit. And cruising under the Golden Gate is very special,bring a warm jacket it gets cold the first day and windy cruising below the bridge.

San Pedro has giving us a lot of trouble and I try to avoid it if I can. They have ONE rinky dinky elevator to take us and our luggage up to where you enter the ship. If you have walking problems or can't use the escelator you stand in line forever to get on the elevator coming or going.

For seeing whales March is a better month, have a wonderful trip,maybe I see you on the April cruise,Gloria:)

I thought leaving from San Fran was super easy and it was nice having Alcatraz and Fisherman's Warf so close by. Also, you can't beat sailing under the Golden Gate bridge.

I cruised from SF in 1996 on the Star Princess for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise. I remember sailing under the GG & seeing Alcatraz & being cold for 2 days!. Wish I had enough time back then to see Alcatraz but did not think about the opportunity. I remember people performing by the Pier, not sure what Pier it was, maybe Pier 21 ? Been 18 years ago so could be wrong on the Pier number.

We are also considering a Hawaii cruise for 2016 so thinking about the SF departure.

For us, sailing under the GGB is a wonderful treat so we are doing it again from San Fran to Hawaii the end of next April and I am sure with the new cruise terminal it will be an even better experience ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHIv9FbFrBp6Z6dvA3Yvnu8xhwn_cbmpnFGngv1FvV5PweNlBE

If you are choosing to go in April on the Star you will leaf from the NEW port building in San Francisco which looks very nice and modern. We will be on this cruise and have cruised from S.F. many times before. Arriving after noon there has never been a long wait for us.If you like sea days you will love this cruise, I also wished we had more time on Islands but it is still one of our favorite cruise to go on. If you have the time and $$ try to get to the Bay area a few days before your cruise, it is such an interesting city to visit. And cruising under the Golden Gate is very special,bring a warm jacket it gets cold the first day and windy cruising below the bridge.

San Pedro has giving us a lot of trouble and I try to avoid it if I can. They have ONE rinky dinky elevator to take us and our luggage up to where you enter the ship. If you have walking problems or can't use the escelator you stand in line forever to get on the elevator coming or going.

For seeing whales March is a better month, have a wonderful trip,maybe I see you on the April cruise,Gloria:)

I am sailing with them.....:D so I agree.;)

OP - we are all on the 4/29. 2015 Join us.:cool: