Shame on you Chip Romero!

Mountain out of a mole hill. People in the audiences are frequently made into a joke. It's not meant to be an insult unless you make it into one. Stereotypes are commonly used by comics, especially black comics.

Did your child start to go up towards the stage without being asked? It sounds as if he did from your description.

Are you looking for a BIG credit on your next cruise?

I'm sitting here - and I'm kinda amused that people are questioning the integrity of a cruise ship magician. I don't know from magic shows, but from what I hear they do try to interject 'comedy' into their routines. I'm also failing to see how his comment was in any way insulting to children with autism. It doesn't sound like it was funny, but life-altering for a 7 year old? Ummm, no. I'll be on the Gem next week - perhaps I'll have good ol' Chip take my kids down a peg. They're starting to get a bit too big for their britches anyway.

Obligatory Gump reference -

fgjen-v.gif

I'm sitting here - and I'm kinda amused that people are questioning the integrity of a cruise ship magician. I don't know from magic shows, but from what I hear they do try to interject 'comedy' into their routines. I'm also failing to see how his comment was in any way insulting to children with autism. It doesn't sound like it was funny, but life-altering for a 7 year old? Ummm, no. I'll be on the Gem next week - perhaps I'll have good ol' Chip take my kids down a peg. They're starting to get a bit too big for their britches anyway.

Obligatory Gump reference -

fgjen-v.gif

Like i said Chip is a good man(sometimes funny) and I've partied with him on the ship and off. If he knew this the word "sorry" would be falling out of his mouth a 1000 times....

LT DAN ICE CREAM!!! Lt Dan you got new LEGS....:)

Edited by Docalbe

Dear @CruisingWithTommy, We are sorry to hear about this experience. We will share your comments with our Entertainment Team and Norwegian Gem’s Hotel Director.

If you’d like to send an email, please send it to publicrelations@ncl.com.

Thank you for sailing with us and for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Sometimes people - even performers - are thoughtless. It was thoughtless for him to have done what he did. I suspect if Mr. Romero realized how hurt your son was, he would feel awful about it. If I had been in the audience I would have been mad on your child's behalf. But it is not going to be really "fixed." Unfortunately this is something that your son may likely always remember. It is these little moments that stick with us from childhood. But we all move on. Many of the entertainers do browse through CC to see what passengers think of their acts - this person will hopefully get the message.

Entertainers are not chosen by any individual on the ship. They are hired by corporate and assigned to a ship by corporate. If you want to complain you should address your complaint to corporate entertainment.

An unfortunate situation all around.:(

Really? I'm in no way complaining that my child didn't get chosen for something. I'd think you could see the difference. And yes, I think jokes about people with autism should be banned, especially at a family show. But that's just me.

This is an interesting topic… Do you think the movie itself should be banned? I am not as close to autism and don't walk in your shoes but I always thought the movie Forest Gump put autism in a very positive light… If you found it offensive, I think you should bring it to NCL's attention.

Im pretty sure that someone at NCL corporate in Miami approved this mans show not realizing how how it would be viewed by those effected by autism.. I would either write a letter or call NCL in Miami and let them know it offended you.

As far as your son and the show.. I would never, ever let my child up on a stage like that, I have seen kids embarrassed and even scared once they got there. Very often they don't even get the jokes… Perhaps some kids have a personality to handle it but more often than not they look like they regret raising their hands in the first place… I also find that most shows on cruise ships, especially those in the evening are geared to an adult audience..

My family and I were on the Gem from 8/9-8/16. We had a great time and a thorough review will follow. I had just one experience that has left a sour taste in my mouth. I went to the Chip Romero magic show with my 8 year old son, my cousin & my 8 year old nephew. At one point during the show Mr. Romero asked for a young boy of 7 or 8 to volunteer. There were not many kids in the audience and my son (usually quite shy) actually put his hand up. Mr. Romero asked him how old he was and he said 8 excitedly and attempted to go to the stage. Then Mr. Romero stated "Hey, not so fast, run forest, run!" My son then sadly sat back down, and Mr. Romero found himself another volunteer who was 6 years old. I guess this was part of his act which he thinks is funny but I did not. For one, it hurt my sons feelings, and also, it was in very poor taste as my 8 year old nephew is autistic. I find myself really disgusted with this "performer" and pondering letting someone in charge know. Thoughts?

I agree that kids should realize disappointment is a part of life, but this was an intentional act of humiliation toward a child, and that isn't right.

Is it at all possible that the performer had a kid picked-out in his mind (I know with Blue-Man Group they run pell-mell through the audience to pick volunteers, but I've talked to the stage manager who told me they already know their target before the leave the stage), and was trying to attract THAT child's attention?

When another child (the son) (non-autistic) started indicating interest, he tried to find an 'out', and was possibly hoping the son was too old - so that he'd have to 'fish' the audience again to get his desired target.

Instead, the son started heading toward the stage, unbidden.

Perhaps the movie reference was inappropriate, but the son was not autistic - we've heard no indication that the son exhibited any type of visible challenges, so the reference may just have been related to the son 'running' to the stage when he hadn't been invited. Presumably at this juncture, the performer was ad libbing.

Now, had it been the autistic child, AND assuming that there was a physical and/or behavioral indicator....THEN I would be enflamed that it was an insult toward the child.

So far, it just sounds like "whoa, hold your horses, big fella" would have had the equivalent meaning.

Is it at all possible that the performer had a kid picked-out in his mind (I know with Blue-Man Group they run pell-mell through the audience to pick volunteers, but I've talked to the stage manager who told me they already know their target before the leave the stage), and was trying to attract THAT child's attention?

When another child (the son) (non-autistic) started indicating interest, he tried to find an 'out', and was possibly hoping the son was too old - so that he'd have to 'fish' the audience again to get his desired target.

Instead, the son started heading toward the stage, unbidden.

Perhaps the movie reference was inappropriate, but the son was not autistic - we've heard no indication that the son exhibited any type of visible challenges, so the reference may just have been related to the son 'running' to the stage when he hadn't been invited. Presumably at this juncture, the performer was ad libbing.

Now, had it been the autistic child, AND assuming that there was a physical and/or behavioral indicator....THEN I would be enflamed that it was an insult toward the child.

So far, it just sounds like "whoa, hold your horses, big fella" would have had the equivalent meaning.

This could very well be what happened but for a moment lets have a look at this from the perspective of an 8 year old.

The magician asks for volunteers and this 8 year old child raises his hand and is called upon. The child believes they have been chosen, answers the question about their age and moves toward the stage. The magician makes his Forrest Gump reference to indicate the child is not the chosen one, audience laughs and magician moves on to another child.

How does the 8 year old perceive the situation? Yes the child was likely disappointed that he was not chosen as he thought but also embarrassed and humiliated as everyone laughed. Can an 8 year old decipher why the audience laughed? It is likely that they did not even understand the movie reference and just thought the audience was laughing at them.

I doubt the magician was making a joke about children with special needs but simply just quoting a line from a movie. The OP, being close to a special needs child might have been more sensitive to the comment but it also quite possible they have been witness to this very type of slight. As brilliant as the movie was and all the wonderful quotes that can be found within it, when someone calls someone else Forrest Gump it is not usually a compliment.

I can completely understand why the OP would feel what transpired was inappropriate. I also believe that any offense taken was not intentional by the performer. Kudos to NCL for reaching out and wanting to address the issue.

Rochelle

I often wonder how the current crop of adults over 35 ever survived without all the politically correct hyper-sensitivity society seems to have for kids today.

And we walked to school too!

Rode bikes without helmets and didn't come home until dinner time

Ahhh. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

This could very well be what happened but for a moment lets have a look at this from the perspective of an 8 year old.

The magician asks for volunteers and this 8 year old child raises his hand and is called upon. The child believes they have been chosen, answers the question about their age and moves toward the stage. The magician makes his Forrest Gump reference to indicate the child is not the chosen one, audience laughs and magician moves on to another child.

How does the 8 year old perceive the situation? Yes the child was likely disappointed that he was not chosen as he thought but also embarrassed and humiliated as everyone laughed. Can an 8 year old decipher why the audience laughed? It is likely that they did not even understand the movie reference and just thought the audience was laughing at them.

I doubt the magician was making a joke about children with special needs but simply just quoting a line from a movie. The OP, being close to a special needs child might have been more sensitive to the comment but it also quite possible they have been witness to this very type of slight. As brilliant as the movie was and all the wonderful quotes that can be found within it, when someone calls someone else Forrest Gump it is not usually a compliment.

I can completely understand why the OP would feel what transpired was inappropriate. I also believe that any offense taken was not intentional by the performer. Kudos to NCL for reaching out and wanting to address the issue.

Rochelle

We'll said. An adult should know better.

Antsnanny said.... This is an interesting topic… Do you think the movie itself should be banned? I am not as close to autism and don't walk in your shoes but I always thought the movie Forest Gump put autism in a very positive light… If you found it offensive, I think you should bring it to NCL's attention.

Im pretty sure that someone at NCL corporate in Miami approved this mans show not realizing how how it would be viewed by those effected by autism.. I would either write a letter or call NCL in Miami and let them know it offended you.

As far as your son and the show.. I would never, ever let my child up on a stage like that, I have seen kids embarrassed and even scared once they got there. Very often they don't even get the jokes… Perhaps some kids have a personality to handle it but more often than not they look like they regret raising their hands in the first place… I also find that most shows on cruise ships, especially those in the evening are geared to an adult audience..

There is no autism in Forrest Gump. It didn't put it in a positive light at all. It didn't even put it in the movie.

Not sure where it is you think I vilified anyone.

Rochelle

OK, I'll play.

When I responded to your post I said "So...based on your analysis, one must conclude that the appropriate solution is to vilify ..."

In that sentence, the "your" obviously refers to you as it was your analysis, however the "one" obviously does not refer to you...so I don't have the foggiest idea why you think that I think you vilified anyone.

Had you been the one doing the vilifying, the sentence would have said "So...based on your analysis, you must conclude that the appropriate solution is for you to vilify ..."

Which is completely different that what I stated.

Word placement is everything.

What if we didn't have microwaves...... How would I make my popcorn and watch these threads.... Were would I be then.... Life would be hell.:p

I gave up microwave popcorn

Just put some oil and a little butter in a pot. Salt the mixture and then add the kernels. It's the best!!!

Oh and cover the pot of course

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a life-long advocate for people with differing abilities, I feel compelled to ask that we consider the use of person-first language. Instead of "autistic boy", how about boy with autism, or boy with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), or child who has features of autism? No one should have to be known by a disability. It can be construed as condiscending and judgemental.

On the other hand, when we address the person first, we lift and empower.

Just a thought.

Stepping off my soap box to go dump ice on my head now. :)

There is no autism in Forrest Gump. It didn't put it in a positive light at all. It didn't even put it in the movie.

Sorry, may have been confusing that with Rain Man… In any event, I believe that Forest Gump put people with disabilities in a very positive light, it gave hope and showed that we all are capable of greatness..