Shame on you Chip Romero!

I haven't read all the posts but here is my opinion. Its wrong to single out anyone with a disability as Forrest Gump had to ridicule. If a performer does that, I would first write a note to the Cruise Director(who is responsible for all the performers) and the Hotel Director who the CD reports to and see what their responses were. If no satisfaction I would escalate it.

As for letting your child go on stage that is a personal choice but I would hesitate before a large audience I didn't know well.

If you feel there is still an issue write the home office(a snail mail letter)...

Edited by smeyer418

In my "Opinion" Chip was totally wrong on so many levels and NCL should be aware of it.

1) He asked for a young boy of 7 or 8 to volunteer. When asking your son how old he was and he did fall into his category, then why would he take a 6 year old? Doesn't make sense unless he purposely wanted to degrade him for a "laugh"

2) Trying to get a laugh from people at the expense of a hurting a Childs feeling is totally unprofessional.

3) I don't even get why he would say "run Forest run" it did not pertain to the situation here at all, unless your son was running to be on stage. Was he? In which case he still should have had him on stage - he's a child - Geez

If it were my son - u can bet that NLC would know about it!

Hope your son got over it and his experience with Chip does not stop him from ever volunteering for something again.

Good luck with it and I hope you keep us posted as to the outcome.

Edited by din2play2

And you are entitled to that opinion...

It's 95 degrees outside here right now. It's a fact that it's hot. However, I've visited a desert in Africa before, so it's my opinion that what we have here outside is not hot.

And that's why the scientific measurement that the temperature is 95 degrees is the only fact-assuming the thermometer is accurate. "Hot," as you've already said, is an opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I haven't read all the posts but here is my opinion. Its wrong to single out anyone with a disability as Forrest Gump had to ridicule. If a performer does that, I would first write a note to the Cruise Director(who is responsible for all the performers) and the Hotel Director who the CD reports to and see what their responses were. If no satisfaction I would escalate it.

As for letting your child go on stage that is a personal choice but I would hesitate before a large audience I didn't know well.

If you feel there is still an issue write the home office(a snail mail letter)...

Based on the OP's post, the performer didn't single out anyone with a disability. He made the comment to her son, who was attempting to go on stage, and it was her nephew, sitting in the audience, who is Autistic. But I agree, if he would have picked on someone, who he could tell had a disability, he should be shot and quartered and then fired, but in this case that was not the issue.

Here is what the OP said: For one, it hurt my sons feelings, and also, it was in very poor taste as my 8 year old nephew is autistic.\

I would have turned this into a learning lession. For her son, I would have explained that (1) you just don't attempt to go up on a stage that you were not invited to and (2) even though you were asked your age (or any other question for that matter by someone asking for volunteers), it doesn't mean that you will be the chosen one. And to her nephew, if he understood the "run forrest run" comment (saying that because I don't know his age or if he has seen the movie), I would have explained that (1) the performer wasn't aware of his disability and (2) unfortunately there are cruel people out in the world and you have to learn to just ignore them for their stupidity.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The (non-disabled) kid ran, so the comedian referenced a movie character who was known for running, when the OP's ds made a run towards the stage! This was a family friendly show, not a kiddy show. I would expect no explicit language, but most comics will mock the audience (which is why I like to sit in the back, and make sure I don't need to get up for any reason...)

I'm sure a lit of the act is made up on the spot, depending upon what happens. Not a very PC environment.

You don't have opinions about facts, then. Logically, one would not be voicing an opinion about a fact. Regardless of that, it has nothing to do with this thread where many folks seem to be telling the OP that her opinion is wrong.

Facts are verifiable. Opinions are more about sentiments, beliefs, views, etc. It's a common misconception that opinions can't be wrong.

It's a fact that you are correct and this has nothing to do with this thread. It's my opinion that discussing opinion vs. fact adds to the thread. (It doesn't but I'm just trying to illustrate the difference).

I know NCL has already address the problem( That's between Chip and ncl).... And I know Chip has been informed..I guess SORRY is not enough.. It's like anything else.... A learning thing... Right, wrong what ever... Lets fix it and go on......So it NEVER happens again...... God Bless us all!!!!:)

Wow - and I bet all the 'mommies' out there who are appalled expect your kids to all be picked for the ball team regardless of ability and all your kids should be promoted to the next grade regardless of performance and knowledge because there are no winners and there are no losers - everyone gets a trophy! Yay - what a bunch of whinny, entitled, no-social skills, brats we will have raised for our next generation.

Most of these kids have no idea about disappointment! Fair? It's not fair you say?!!! In my world, fair is that place where they pin ribbons on pigs and have pie eating contests. The most important lesson you can teach a child is "Life is not fair! Get used to it!!!" And, news flash - there's ALWAYS a winner AND a loser!

My suggestion, if you don't want to get singled out, don't go to a comedian/magician! It just stands to reason that a magician is going to need a volunteer from the audience and being a comedian as well, he may focus on one type of person or another - unfortunately, you took it personally. I'm sure it was all funny until your son put this hand up and was disregarded - I'm guessing you were laughing until then - and at who's expense were your laughs?

The comedian/magician didn't go out to purposely offend you so let it go. Teach your child the difference between being the whiner and being the bigger person. If you can't take a bit of ribbing, stay away from these types of entertainment. Of course that won't help your son in later life when real life people disappoint him or make fun of him. Life is full of these types of incidents and the sooner he learns to deal with them, the better off he'll be.

My opinion for what it's worth. And it's okay if some of you don't agree with me - I'm okay with that - My parent's did me the favour of teaching me long ago that you can't please everyone - and I'm okay with that too. :p

It's wrong to disappoint and use any child just to get a laugh. Not to mention the whole concept was in poor taste.

Rochelle

Exactly...does not matter if child is autistic, disabled in any other way or healthy.... children's self esteems are very fragile and to be humiliated in front of so many others is not right.

If he wishes to use such humor on adults that is fine, but not at the expense of children.

I am assuming this is a family event !! Otherwise why would he ask for a child participant.

I know NCL has already address the problem( That's between Chip and ncl).... And I know Chip has been informed..I guess SORRY is not enough.. It's like anything else.... A learning thing... Right, wrong what ever... Lets fix it and go on......So it NEVER happens again...... God Bless us all!!!!:)

How do you know that Chip has been informed? And my son has not received an apology.

But you have received an E-mail from NCL saying they are to look into your complaint. Did you actually send your E-mail either to the CEO as I recommended or to Public relations as NCL are asking you to do?

Edited by Ewoodspark

Your son doesn't know who Forrest Gump is and his feelings weren't hurt. See you post #38.

Right?! Are you actually expecting NCL to issue your son a personal apology? Has your son even brought up the incident since it happened? Or are you just projecting the trauma onto him? NCL addressed it here, I'm fairly certain your son will not require extensive therapy to get over the event so in the great words of Elsa

tumblr_n1qdnzJoHv1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

How do you know that Chip has been informed? And my son has not received an apology.
Don't you think an apology would just bring up your son's hurt feelings old wounds? NCL is aware of the situation and unless you are looking for compensation or for Chip to be fired, I would say you did all you could by letting NCL know your feelings.

LMAO!!! :rolleyes:

Not catching the humour.

Someone on this thread, who claims to personally know the magician has posted here that the situation has been addressed, an apology has been made and that this will never happen again. The OP has stated that this is not the case as they have received no apology. Why are you laughing?

Rochelle

"Run Forest Run" is a common saying in our society now. I don't even really understand the ops point in the first place.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Other than the entitlement she expected little Tommy to receive - neither do I.

Edited by SissasMomE

Well maybe. The son was Called up but he isn't the autistic one right?

The nephew is autistic right?

But the nephew wasn't called up right?

So basically an 8 yo kid had hurt feelings. Ok I sympathize as I have had many a hurt feelings kid in my day

But if the autistic child was not called up then ummm I don't know

Yes in poor taste because it was a joke on an 8 yo non autistic kid and their happened to be an autistic kid in the audience.

I am sure there were others as well but this one was a cousin so it hurt more

I think the whole thing was stupid but then again i dont really care for comedy shows

But lets not go overboard here. Should buffet jokes be banned? Weight jokes? Pax jokes etc?

The 8 yo should just laugh it off and the autistic cousins parent should probably low key it with him

But as I said what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure we all get our feelings hurt at one time or another, but this just sounds mean. If it is part of his act, I think it should be taken out asap. A child does not go on vacation and pay $$$ to have someone that is part of the cruise entertainment do things like this. Just wrong. :mad:

This thread is just wrong. I am shocked that no one pointed out the most obvious reason the child at question was not picked and told to go back to his seat. Did it ever occur to anyone the magician saw another hand go up first and the magician stuck to his guns in picking who he wanted to. I feel bad if the other child was a bit over zealous in wanting to be picked and started to head for the stage. But where is the compassion for the other kid who may have had his hand up first and would have been rejected just because someone may have appeared to have wanted it more.

I cant even believe I am responding to this thread. I am secretly hoping it is some sort of 3rd grade homework assignment to see what reactions would be. I cant believe some of the things I have read. People would go to the service line to complain about the magician for doing his job.....entertaining.

Of all the threads I have read on CC, this one takes the cake from "Can I bring my own mattress."

This is a messed up world and all children should be taught to share and be tolerant of others. Life is never fair and that is a lesson that seems to not be taught these days.

Exactly...does not matter if child is autistic, disabled in any other way or healthy.... children's self esteems are very fragile and to be humiliated in front of so many others is not right.

No, they are not extremely fragile, unless raised to be that way. Kids experience hurt, disappointment, loss - and it's good for them! I would never describe my kids as being "fragile" in any way - physically or emotionally. Heck, they'd never survive school!

"Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child."

No, they are not extremely fragile, unless raised to be that way. Kids experience hurt, disappointment, loss - and it's good for them! I would never describe my kids as being "fragile" in any way - physically or emotionally. Heck, they'd never survive school!

"Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child."

Too many children have WAY too much self-esteem. And that is a serious problem.

Life is short. Move on.

Sure we all get our feelings hurt at one time or another, but this just sounds mean. If it is part of his act, I think it should be taken out asap. A child does not go on vacation and pay $$$ to have someone that is part of the cruise entertainment do things like this. Just wrong. :mad:

It certainly doesn't sound like it was part of the act. If the performer would have called the boy up and then did this, it would be part of the act and would be wrong. It seems as though the boy jumped the gun and started to run on stage, thus the performer adlibbed and made the run forest run comment, so that the boy wouldn't actually make it to the stage and thus be told he was not the one picked, which I think would have been devastating to the child...thankfully he didn't make it all the way up on the stage. Could this have been avoided, yes.