Shame on you Chip Romero!

Don't you go worrying about my kids...they are just fine living in a world where they know that they may be disappointed now and again. They experience plenty of happiness and know it's OK to laugh at themselves now and again. They also know the world doesn't revolve around them and even if someone does purposefully try to make them feel bad or use them as the butt of a joke they'll learn that often people like that aren't worth their time and they can just brush it off, move on and not dwell on it.

I'm not worried about them. I'm sure they'll be fine.

You asked for thoughts and that is what folks have given. It might help if you tell us what you are expecting out of NCL to relieve this situation with you.

What he said to my child was offensive. I want to know he's been made aware of it and that he won't do it again, whether part of his act or not.

What he said to my child was offensive. I want to know he's been made aware of it and that he won't do it again, whether part of his act or not.

I'll be on the ship this weekend. I'll make sure he's publicly flogged.

Incidentally it's a matter of opinion whether it's actually offensive or not.

Usually when there is a complaint of this type, management has discussions with the employee involved (because they have to get both sides of the story), but doesn't report back to the party that made the acquisition. You made your point and concerns to NCL and I personally think that is all that should be done. You have to realize that NCL might agree with your concerns or they may not after hearing both sides, but I still feel that NCL discussions with the performer should be their business.

If your son brings it up again, just tell him that the performer looked at him and thought he was too smart and would have let everyone in on the trick...your son will feel like a million dollars.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Exactly. I feel really bad for the kids of some of the "parents" on this board.

Let me get this straight... You are concerned about your child being ridiculed correct? You child does NOT have autism right? Your nephew does but he wasn't called up so no harm there, correct?

So you are concerned that your son who has NO developmental issues may have had his feelings hurt etc?

Is your child in therapy because of this cruise experience?

Oh and btw, no need to worry about my parenting skills. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any chance you or some other poster here could remind us again about exactly what was said to your son?

I am confused with son/ nephew/ 6 7 8 yo/ who is autistic and who isn't etc

We have lost our sense of humor as a nation. Nobody can say anything without someone being offended because "word hurt".

People really need to take a breath and just relax.

If he stood up there and said something like, lets take the retarded kid, then I would be fuming and you would have every right to be furious, but this, really.

I am pretty sure your kid was upset about not being able to go up, and not really anything else.

Any chance you or some other poster here could remind us again about exactly what was said to your son?

I am confused with son/ nephew/ 6 7 8 yo/ who is autistic and who isn't etc

OP's son is asked age by magician

OP's son answers and gets up to run on stage

Magician rebuffs OP's son by saying 'hold on there run Forrest run.'

Mom takes great offense b/c allegedly Forrest was autistic and her nephew (in the audience) is also autistic.

DRAMA ensues

Edited by lzybeanie
clarification and end quote

could someone explain the entitlement comment some are talking about and how does it relate to this situation.

My last post got lost in the internet land. In a nutshell, this poster bragged about how a butler supposedly kicked people off of an elevator so little tommy, who was staying in the Haven, didn't have to wait. :rolleyes: There were other posts, but that was the one that left a bad taste in my mouth ... to say the least.

Don't you go worrying about my kids...they are just fine living in a world where they know that they may be disappointed now and again. They experience plenty of happiness and know it's OK to laugh at themselves now and again. They also know the world doesn't revolve around them and even if someone does purposefully try to make them feel bad or use them as the butt of a joke they'll learn that often people like that aren't worth their time and they can just brush it off, move on and not dwell on it.

Incredibly well said!!👍

OP's son is asked age by magician

OP's son answers and gets up to run on stage

Magician rebuffs OP's son by saying 'hold on there run Forrest run.'

Mom takes great offense b/c allegedly Forrest was autistic and her nephew (in the audience) is also autistic.

DRAMA ensues

That's sort of what I thought

Her son is not autistic but she is concerned about his psychological development because of this issue

Her nephew who was not called up but is autistic may also be scarred for life because the commonly used term run forest run may have injured him psychologically as well

Oh and the butler is at fault as well! Lol

Edited by luvtheships

My last post got lost in the internet land. In a nutshell, this poster bragged about how a butler supposedly kicked people off of an elevator so little tommy, who was staying in the Haven, didn't have to wait. :rolleyes: There were other posts, but that was the one that left a bad taste in my mouth ... to say the least.

There must be a butler joke in there somewhere. Lol

Tommy has never stayed in the Haven. FYI

Tommy has never stayed in the Haven. FYI

Now you are just attempting to deceive. Excuse me ... a suite.

February 22nd, 2014, 07:15 PM

Cool Cruiser

I love the suite life. We used to cruise in balcony rooms and then spent a 2 nighter in a 2 bdrm family suite. We can never go back! The perks start with the early separate embarkation which is huge and continues all the way through. My son who is now 7 and still remembers when he was 5 and our butler emptied and elevator for us so he wouldn't have to wait. He was soooo impressed. So it's taken us a while but we've finally saved up for the Gem fl/Bahamas which we will be doing this august again in the 2 bedroom. I would rather spend 1week in this room than 10 in a non suite room. Literally.

Btw, my 10 year anniversary will be in 2015 as well. I've been thinking of taking my husband on the 2 nighter ctn from ny. It's over valentines day and might be fun. I just can't decide on the room and whether we should bring my so or night. I think I'll get a suite that will allow for an additional passenger and take it from there.

Now you are just attempting to deceive. Excuse me ... a suite.

February 22nd, 2014, 07:15 PM

Cool Cruiser

I love the suite life. We used to cruise in balcony rooms and then spent a 2 nighter in a 2 bdrm family suite. We can never go back! The perks start with the early separate embarkation which is huge and continues all the way through. My son who is now 7 and still remembers when he was 5 and our butler emptied and elevator for us so he wouldn't have to wait. He was soooo impressed. So it's taken us a while but we've finally saved up for the Gem fl/Bahamas which we will be doing this august again in the 2 bedroom. I would rather spend 1week in this room than 10 in a non suite room. Literally.

Btw, my 10 year anniversary will be in 2015 as well. I've been thinking of taking my husband on the 2 nighter ctn from ny. It's over valentines day and might be fun. I just can't decide on the room and whether we should bring my so or night. I think I'll get a suite that will allow for an additional passenger and take it from there.

Not at all. Just getting the facts straight.

I know this is probably not at all accurate and I'm obviously bored, but now I'm picturing little Tommy as one of those kids who presses all the buttons on the elevator and the parents just laugh in a 'what can you do?' way.

Clearly I need to go find more work to do.

It's offensive because you decided it was offensive. 90% of people would not be offended by a "Run, Forrest, Run" comment. That 90% probably includes your son, but you are training him to be a victim, and going out of your way to ensure he has no resiliency whatsoever. Nice work, Mom. You'd be doing him a HUGE favor had you simply looked at him and said, "Bummer". He would have learned that not everything is a big deal, disappointment happens, and moved on. Kids learn by watching the behavior of their parents.

Do you still think that anyone on this board believes that your 8 year old was "offended" by that comment, or that he was just embarrassed or disappointed that he didn't get to go on stage?

Not at all. Just getting the facts straight.

Including the fact that Forrest Gump had nothing to do with autism which was, btw, the entire reason for the feelings of offense that started this whole topic in the first place?