Day trips from Livorno...please help..

greg33418

Hi..

My wife and I are on the JOURNEY this October an will have an overnight (basically two full days) in Livorno..

We don't like Florence at all, are not interested in the Leaning Tower of Pisa, have a rental car waiting at the port and are wondering what other non-touristy/traditional adventures might await???

We are thinking of driving up to Portofino (where we have never been) which is two hours +/- up the road each way,and we are fine with that, but just wondering what the roads up the coast to Portofino might bring??????

We are thinking that might be the first day in port and are a but worried about day 2

because we plan to return the car around 3PM which will give us plenty of time to get back to the ship...

Thoughts anyone???

Best..

Greg

Regarding the drive to Porotfino, it is quite easy since nearly all the drive (except for the last few miles) is on the high speed (multi lane interstate-type highway) A12/E80. However, there are many other options with a rental car as Livorno is well located within Western Tuscany. For example, you could drive to Riomaggiore, park your car, and then explore the Cinque Terre villages. Or you could drive to places like San Gimignano, Siena, Volterra, Lucca, Colle val d'Elsa, etc. And for wine lovers, you could head over to the S222 road (some call it the Wine Route) which runs through the Chianti wine district and offers a beautiful drive. We could probably list a few dozen other options but this is enough for starters :). It is the reason why many travelers love spending a few weeks in Tuscany.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

As others have said - Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano…such charming little towns! I would opt for any of these over Portofino. But, if I had an overnight and didn't have to rush back to the ship, I would definitely go to Cinque Terre!

Agree with all you say. But since the OP did not ask our opinion about Portofino...we did not offer it. If they had ask, we would have said that its low on our list of places to go from Livorno :).

Hank

The Tuscan countrside is gorgeous. We too visited Volterra in 2012 and this year are doing Sienna, San Gimignano and also going back to Volterra since we did not get a lot of time there on the ship's tour. We have a private driver this year.

Here is our view from Volterra in September.

Whatever you decide, do it with gusto and enjoy! :D

IMG_0469-1.jpg

IMG_0466-1.jpg

Well they don't want Pisa so that leaves Lucca then. Of course you can leave the rental jn La Spezia and train/boat to CT. That would still be my favorite

No need. We normally just drive to Riomaggiore where there is a large pay parking lot/garage right in town. And for those who want to park for free, it is possible to do this along the road leading down into town (although you might have a long walk). As to driving into Pisa (or Florence) one has to be very careful to avoid driving into one of the "ZTLs" (Limited driving zones). Just driving into one of these areas can get you a fine in excess of 80 Euros which will eventually be charged to you by your rental car company...who will also add their own administration fee.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner