Pie on Thanksgiving?

Ex-Airbalancer

Although it will be Thanksgiving in Canada on October 13th (and I'm looking forward to celebrating it with my family!), it will be Columbus Day in the US, and I don't think it is a celebratory day in the UK and European countries ...

The cruise lines seems to celebrate US Thanksgiving, but I'd say the chances are slim that they will honour Canadian Thanksgiving. There may be pie onboard - but it would be coincidental :)

We like to think that the REAL Canadian Thanksgiving happens whenever a US team wins the Stanley Cup !!

that been happening every year for too long now :eek:

Been on ship for American Thanksgiving, but I can not really get the courage to eat any turkey then, because I am scared it is leftovers from Canadian Thanksgiving :p

Since Oct 13 is before Halloween it is too early for the pumpkins. They are first used for the Jack O Lantrens 🎃 and then made into pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. :D

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Since Oct 13 is before Halloween it is too early for the pumpkins. They are first used for the Jack O Lantrens and then made into pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. :D

Happy cruising

We use the good pumpkins for eating :-)

So is you pie filled with candle wax ewwwww :p

Edited by Airbalancer

We like to think that the REAL Canadian Thanksgiving happens whenever a US team wins the Stanley Cup !!

So let's see...

The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup this year. Check out their roster...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/la/los-angeles-kings

8 Centres = 6 Canadians

3 L Wings = 3 Canadians

5 R Wings = 3 Canadians

8 Defence = 4 Canadians

3 Goalies = 2 Canadians

Grand Total = 27 LA Kings

18 Canadians - 3 Europeans - 1 South American - 5 Americans

Seems to me 18 Canadians won the Stanley Cup for LA... And ya we are thankful. :D

Cheers!

Twice we have been on Celebrity ships on American Thanksgiving, and quite frankly, neither time was a traditional meal served. The second cruise someone asked about the Thanksgiving meal during a galley tour, and the answer was that "elements" traditional foods would be served. Wonder if there will be any "elements" of the Canadian traditional meal served.

On that second cruise half of the passengers were Australian, and there were many discussions comparing holiday meal traditions, such as Christmas dinners, during meals. It was a fun discussion topic.

"Elements" of a Canadian Thanksgiving meal will for sure be offered... Probably on many places of the ship

Considering that Canadians are pretty laissez faire about this Holiday... Anything goes not just Turkey & Stuffing as we have such a multi-cultural country (Lasagna, Curry, Beef Wellington anyone?)

But it is a Holiday we all don't even celebrate on the same day !!

Our Traditional Thanksgiving Meal can happen anywhere between the Friday and the Monday (although on the Calendar "the day" is the second Monday in October)... Depending on when friends and family can get together and share a meal

All this non uniformity ?

Blame it on our History...

1- Our Govt moved the date around for eons

2- Our Thanksgiving is a mish mash of ideas... As it represents Our Harvest, and the Thanks that our Explorers gave (most notably Frobisher 1578)... But also a sort of silent salute to Columbus, who discovered the Americas (Cdn Thanksgiving coincides with US Columbus Day)... As we don't otherwise celebrate Mr Columbus (1492) as our country / part of the new world was discovered by the Vikings about 500 years earlier

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

Canadian Thanksgiving... As diverse & colorful as our country for sure !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I dunno SloopB {lol - for the record ... I can't read/say your screen name without "my grandfather and me" following in my mind}. I have wonderful memories of sitting around a camp fire and listening to my uncle sing this song :)

Around my house, we eat a pretty traditional t-day dinner. I can't image t-day dinner with out TURKEY! At our house, it's good ole apple pie for dessert though : )

Last year we sailed Oasis over Canadian thanksgiving. The captain made a special announcement to wish a happy t-day to all the Canadians on board. That was the extent of it. They may have served something special in the buffet but not in the MDR. It surprised me that later in the week, they had a turkey dinner on the menu. They could easily have switched menus.

So let's see...

The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup this year. Check out their roster...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/la/los-angeles-kings

8 Centres = 6 Canadians

3 L Wings = 3 Canadians

5 R Wings = 3 Canadians

8 Defence = 4 Canadians

3 Goalies = 2 Canadians

Grand Total = 27 LA Kings

18 Canadians - 3 Europeans - 1 South American - 5 Americans

Seems to me 18 Canadians won the Stanley Cup for LA... And ya we are thankful. :D

Cheers!

Spending at least 1 winter in the LA sun and I suspect they will be "former" Canadians soon...

Considering that Canadians are pretty laissez faire about this Holiday... Anything goes not just Turkey & Stuffing as we have such a multi-cultural country (Lasagna, Curry, Beef Wellington anyone?)

But it is a Holiday we all don't even celebrate on the same day !!

Summit will port at Saguenay on 13 October and I was amazed--knowing that we would be there on Canadian Thanksgiving--at the amenability of local tour operators to work that day... I'd merely concluded that it was a decision to take advantage of the business opportunity as cruise traffic to that part of Canada winds down for the season...

It will be particularly interesting to see--though I'm not sure I'll be able to tell given the apparent menu possibilities--if we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving aboard ship that day!

Summit will port at Saguenay on 13 October and I was amazed--knowing that we would be there on Canadian Thanksgiving--at the amenability of local tour operators to work that day... I'd merely concluded that it was a decision to take advantage of the business opportunity as cruise traffic to that part of Canada winds down for the season...

It will be particularly interesting to see--though I'm not sure I'll be able to tell given the apparent menu possibilities--if we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving aboard ship that day!

Two things...

1- our Prime Tourism Season is relatively short... Mid May (Victoria Day Wkend) thru to Mid October (Thanksgiving) with the greatest concentration of tourists coming Canada Day (July 1st) thru Labour Day (early September) when our best weather is and kids are out of school.

So for many operators Thanksgiving is the last hoorah... Not to mention that unlike the US many of us spend our Thanksgiving not necessarily at home... But getting in one last kick at the can before the snow flies (can happen anytime after mid October). So Thanksgiving weekend tends to be family travelling - closing up the cottage etc

I think that doing touristy stuff is a big part of many families plans at Thanksgiving... Boat Tours - Historic Sites - Apple Picking - Trips to the Zoo etc

2- As I said earlier, it is a very diverse holiday. In Quebec it is a Stat Holiday, so celebrated by some, but certainly not to the same extent as it is elsewhere in Canada.

This can be attributed to 2 facts:

(a) a lot of the old time Thanksgiving Traditions (ie Turkey Dinner & all the fixings) was imported from the USA via English Canadians, and

(b) there was a religious element to Thanksgiving. Although Quebec has the largest amount of self identifying religious Canadians (Catholics) sine the 1960s there has been fewer & fewer who are actually practicing / going to church... So the connection to the religious elements of this holiday don't really exist in Quebec culture (and are diminishing across the rest of Canada as our country becomes more diverse and less Judeo-Christian in our make up)

Still tho, tourism is a big business... Particularly so in the otherwise outlying communities along the Mighty St Lawrence, so chances are people will have done their homework to provide what Customers may be looking for (lol, that and Dessert / Pie / Tarts is a major food staple in Quebec)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Spending at least 1 winter in the LA sun and I suspect they will be "former" Canadians soon...

Doubtful.

Canadians hold a lot of pride in our Heritage.

Witness the very small percentage of Cdn Artists in Hollywood who give it up although they work in the USA pretty much full time, many their whole lives.

Even # 99, Wayne the Great One has duo-citizenship even tho he's been in the USA since being traded to the LA Kings back in 1988

And is regularly called upon to work for The Cdn Olympic Team (remember those guys :D )

Cheers!

Ps... You should be aware this is all in jest... We love The Hurricanes... The team is great, the Arena is great, and the hospitality wonderful, cannot say enough nice things about the NC Tricity area

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add PS

Two things...

1- our Prime Tourism Season is relatively short... Mid May (Victoria Day Wkend) thru to Mid October (Thanksgiving) with the greatest concentration of tourists coming Canada Day (July 1st) thru Labour Day (early September) when our best weather is and kids are out of school.

So for many operators Thanksgiving is the last hoorah... Not to mention that unlike the US many of us spend our Thanksgiving not necessarily at home... But getting in one last kick at the can before the snow flies (can happen anytime after mid October). So Thanksgiving weekend tends to be family travelling - closing up the cottage etc

I think that doing touristy stuff is a big part of many families plans at Thanksgiving... Boat Tours - Historic Sites - Apple Picking - Trips to the Zoo etc

2- As I said earlier, it is a very diverse holiday. In Quebec it is a Stat Holiday, so celebrated by some, but certainly not to the same extent as it is elsewhere in Canada.

This can be attributed to 2 facts:

(a) a lot of the old time Thanksgiving Traditions (ie Turkey Dinner & all the fixings) was imported from the USA via English Canadians, and

(b) there was a religious element to Thanksgiving. Although Quebec has the largest amount of self identifying religious Canadians (Catholics) sine the 1960s there has been fewer & fewer who are actually practicing / going to church... So the connection to the religious elements of this holiday don't really exist in Quebec culture (and are diminishing across the rest of Canada as our country becomes more diverse and less Judeo-Christian in our make up)

Still tho, tourism is a big business... Particularly so in the otherwise outlying communities along the Mighty St Lawrence, so chances are people will have done their homework to provide what Customers may be looking for (lol, that and Dessert / Pie / Tarts is a major food staple in Quebec)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

You must live in a different part of Canada, since alot of places I know are just as busy in winter as summer for tourism

You must live in a different part of Canada, since alot of places I know are just as busy in winter as summer for tourism

Lol, i don't live in the Toronto banana belt, if that is what you are asking ;)

I didn't say that as a nation we did not have a Winter Tourism Season... Just that it tends to be shorter and not as profitable (Hotel Stats nationwide can confirm that)

Cheers!

Lol, i don't live in the Toronto banana belt, if that is what you are asking ;)

I didn't say that as a nation we did not have a Winter Tourism Season... Just that it tends to be shorter and not as profitable (Hotel Stats nationwide can confirm that)

Cheers!

I kills me when someone puts in Canada as a location,:rolleyes:, it is a big country, it like they are trying to hide something

People will have different opinions because of the location they live in

Fall times a lot will drive around to see the changing of the leaves, that why they the fall cruises

Winter time , try to a room where they do skiing, snowmobiling

Summer it is busy

"Elements" of a Canadian Thanksgiving meal will for sure be offered... Probably on many places of the ship

Our country / part of the new world was discovered by the Vikings about 500 years earlier

Canadian Thanksgiving... As diverse & colorful as our country for sure !!

Cheers!

LOL, "No pie fo you"!!!!!!:D:D

That must mean torsk, lutefisk, and lefsa! :D

Edited by teecee60

I kills me when someone puts in Canada as a location,:rolleyes:, it is a big country, it like they are trying to hide something

People will have different opinions because of the location they live in

Fall times a lot will drive around to see the changing of the leaves, that why they the fall cruises

Winter time , try to a room where they do skiing, snowmobiling

Summer it is busy

I agree... Some areas one season is going to be their "specialty" more than another

But still, statistically, Canada's largest Tourism period is going to be Summertime when we have our best weather

Ths is particularly true for the OP and the cruise in Question:

Canada's Maritimes & the Eastern St Lawrence River Shoreline

The "Destination" Quebec City... On the other hand has a good tourism season year round, but even for it... Summer is tops

Cheers!

I agree... Some areas one season is going to be their "specialty" more than another

But still, statistically, Canada's largest Tourism period is going to be Summertime when we have our best weather

Ths is particularly true for the OP and the cruise in Question:

Canada's Maritimes & the Eastern St Lawrence River Shoreline

The "Destination" Quebec City... On the other hand has a good tourism season year round, but even for it... Summer is tops

Cheers!

I do not even think you are from Canada!

Or you would tell us where you are from

And I want my pie !

Edited by Airbalancer

Air balance I am from Ontario and If you want a pie you should have a peach pie NOW. I am in the mids of making them and putting them in the freezer. I make a fantastic pumpkin pie but with the peaches the size of baseballs and so sweet when you cut them the juice just runs between your fingers. I would not expect any Thanksgiving meal on your cruise as I do not think that Celebrity acknowledges Canadian Thanksgiving. Oh well do not worry you can have the dinner when you come back. And I am sure it will be just as good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Air balance I am from Ontario and If you want a pie you should have a peach pie NOW. I am in the mids of making them and putting them in the freezer. I make a fantastic pumpkin pie but with the peaches the size of baseballs and so sweet when you cut them the juice just runs between your fingers. I would not expect any Thanksgiving meal on your cruise as I do not think that Celebrity acknowledges Canadian Thanksgiving. Oh well do not worry you can have the dinner when you come back. And I am sure it will be just as good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Address please , I will bring the ice cream :D