Need Help Making an Informed Decision

acruisenoob

My husband and I are looking into booking our first cruise for January. We have never been to another country, on a cruise or away for more than a long weekend trip. We have a couple options in mind (all with carnival): 5 day to Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan, which is the cheapest or should we do a 7 night to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Jamaica? Also if we go with the 7 night there are still balcony rooms left and that is an option for us, so if you think we need the 7 day is it partial to splurge on a balcony room? As far as excursions go, we want one day exploring Mayan ruins and one day snorkeling and relaxing on the beach. Any advice on which ports to which would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would go with the 7 day cruise. Just seems that a 5 day cruise is too short. By the time you get the layout for the ship and what not, it will be time to disembark. Plus having a balcony will be really nice. Having a mimosa for breakfast as you sit out on your balcony watching the ocean go by can be very relaxing.:)

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I agree -- 7 day cruises are much better.

Cozumel --Mayan ruins.

Grand Cayman -- beach day -- tour out to the stingray city.

Jamaica -- Dunes River Falls.

We like balconies/verandahs so that when we return to the ship, we can sit out there with a cocktail and people watch.

Another vote for 7 days vs 5 day cruise. By the time you get settled, learn your way around the ship and cruising in general, you'd have to leave on the 5 day cruise. I also love having a balcony. This is personal preference and many are just fine not having one. Only you can decide if that matters to you. For the difference in price, you could have two more days cruising if you don't have the verandah vs having it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I agree -- 7 day cruises are much better.

Cozumel --Mayan ruins.

Grand Cayman -- beach day -- tour out to the stingray city.

Jamaica -- Dunes River Falls.

We like balconies/verandahs so that when we return to the ship, we can sit out there with a cocktail and people watch.

Completely agree with this! The itinerary on the 7 day is better. Go for it!

After you book join the roll call for your cruise here on CC. You will find that there are many experienced cruisers on your cruise and they will be a wealth of info and help. You MAY even find yourself some new friends and excursion partners and dining partners ( I do Anytime Dining and that way you aren't locked in to the same people at your table every night and I'm sure there will be people in your CC roll call group doing ATD as well) Mayan ruins are AWESOME ( See my pics Below from Belize Altun Ha Ruins) Ken

PS Welcome to Carnival and Cruise Critic

1223591476_MayanRuins1.jpg.b8fd91c7c438a9eb5edb88871a01073e.jpg

994490718_MayanRuins3.jpg.0ad61c05bb66803b3becc76a37348178.jpg

1896703834_MayanTempleRuins.jpg.cb99931db6530f2132d363972f5c5cc4.jpg

Edited by iahawkize

I am also in favor of the 7 day trip and get a balcony for sure.

Cozumel..if you want to go to the ruins that's fine but for a beach day I like Paradise beach.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com

In Grand Caymen book a tour to swim with the stingrays or take a cab to 7 mile beach

In Montego Bay take a cab to Doctors Cave beach.

As you see I am a beach person.

My husband and I are looking into booking our first cruise for January. We have never been to another country, on a cruise or away for more than a long weekend trip. We have a couple options in mind (all with carnival): 5 day to Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan, which is the cheapest or should we do a 7 night to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Jamaica? Also if we go with the 7 night there are still balcony rooms left and that is an option for us, so if you think we need the 7 day is it partial to splurge on a balcony room? As far as excursions go, we want one day exploring Mayan ruins and one day snorkeling and relaxing on the beach. Any advice on which ports to which would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll be the lone dissenting voice here...there is nothing wrong with a 5 day cruise especially if you have any concerns about whether or not cruising is a suitable vacation for you. Being as you don't seem to be very accustomed to travel there may also be other considerations (work schedules, child or pet care, etc.) that might make being gone for a full week seem like a long, long time.

You ABSOLUTELY can relax and enjoy a shorter cruise, as well as experience everything you're likely to be interested in. Most 5 day itineraries have 2 port stops and a couple of sea days - great balance between being active on shore and keeping a slower pace on board. I wouldn't recommend a super-port-intensive itinerary to somebody who is less experienced with travel - it can seem quite overwhelming to be in 5 different countries in 7 days!

I hope you don't rule out a shorter trip without weighing what your priorities might be. Also worth thinking about (although none of us would care to admit this is possible :D) - a shorter cruise is a smaller investment in both time and money in the event that you don't like it. Have a great vacation whatever you decide!

To put it in perspective, on a 5 day cruise you will board in the afternoon and attend the mandatory muster drill. On the last day,you will disembark early in the morning. That only gives you 3 full days to enjoy the cruise

This is misleading as it actually describes the schedule of a 4 night cruise. On a 5 night cruise you would embark on Day 1 and disembark on the morning of what would actually be Day 6, having spent 5 nights and 4 full days aboard. OP, when you're looking at cruises to book remember the number of "Days" listed is actually the number of nights the cruise lasts.

Edited by ronandannette

Completely agree with this! The itinerary on the 7 day is better. Go for it!

Yep, this is what I'd pick, by far. 5 days seem so short. I'd go with a balcony if it is affordable to you. Also, one port in Mexico is enough.

I'd vote for 7 days over 5 if you can work it out. A balcony is nice but not a necessity. We still had a great time on our 5-day cruise this past spring. For some reason, airfare was unreasonable for a 7-day cruise that week. It's better to go on a short cruise than not go at all.

I am not sure what discounts Carnival gives, but there are discounts to be looked into (if you haven't already). There are discounts for 55+, military, police, firemen/women, emts, possibly the state you are from and others. This will also help in the deciding factor when picking a cruise. I would go for the longest and a balcony. Enjoy your cruise and many more to come.

Given the cost of just getting to a port (and one should always try to arrive the day before the cruise) and the better itinerary of the 7 day cruise. Grand Cayman offers you the chance to go out to Sting Ray City...and you can do this on a snorkel excursion from either the cruise line...or better yet, from a local. Many like Captain Marvin for private tours so you might want to Google them. Cozumel is a good beach place, but you could also take a mainland excursion to the ruins at Tulum...and possibly find an excursion that also includes snorkeling at Xel-Ha Park (Google it). As to Montego Bay, I guess you could just turn this into a beach day.

Hank

Thank you all for your input and quick replies! Its definitely a huge investment in time and money, but I think the 7 day cruise is going to be more rewarding. My husband dreads the idea of not having any sort of window in the room, so we will most likely splurge on balcony. We did find a cruise with two different ports just two weeks later (still on the dream): Costa Maya and mahogany bay (& Cozumel). And preference between these two ports and the Cayman/Montego bay Jamaica itinerary?

I'll be the lone dissenting voice here...there is nothing wrong with a 5 day cruise especially if you have any concerns about whether or not cruising is a suitable vacation for you. Being as you don't seem to be very accustomed to travel there may also be other considerations (work schedules, child or pet care, etc.) that might make being gone for a full week seem like a long, long time.

You ABSOLUTELY can relax and enjoy a shorter cruise, as well as experience everything you're likely to be interested in. Most 5 day itineraries have 2 port stops and a couple of sea days - great balance between being active on shore and keeping a slower pace on board. I wouldn't recommend a super-port-intensive itinerary to somebody who is less experienced with travel - it can seem quite overwhelming to be in 5 different countries in 7 days!

I hope you don't rule out a shorter trip without weighing what your priorities might be. Also worth thinking about (although none of us would care to admit this is possible :D) - a shorter cruise is a smaller investment in both time and money in the event that you don't like it. Have a great vacation whatever you decide!

Thank you! I felt like you answered my real question there! As a first time cruiser and traveler, I'm sure we are going to be overwhelmed in many aspects. I'm hoping we enjoy it (no seasickness), but no matter what its the most affordable risk free way to see so much in a decent amount of time and that is its major appeal for us. We want to go big the first time because it might also be the last time for a while once we start having kids. However, thank you for thinking of what we should do rather than the experienced cruiser with same options.

Yes, SEVEN days!

If you do to the ruins from Cozumel make sure you take the ship's tour. DO NOT take one that is not the ships! You take the ferry to Playa del Carman from Cozumel then a long bus ride to the ruins. The ship will wait for your tour if it has been held up for any reason. (traffic, flat tire, etc.) If you are not on the ship's tour the ship will not wait for you to get back, they will leave without you.

In Grand Cayman contact Capt. Marvin to go to sting ray city. You will feed and snorkel with the rays. You will also go to two other spots to snorkel. Capt. Marvin is less $$$ and will have fewer people. You can Google this tour.

Yes, in Jamaica go to Dunn's river Falls. Bring old sneakers or water shoes to climb the falls. We found a bus in the parking lot that took us there. We were going to take a cab but the bus was $15. Ship will offer it but do it on your own, cost for same thing will be less.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Although we don't usually take ship excursions (more expensive, often very crowded) I do agree that if you are going to Tulum from Cozumel I'd take the ship excursion just because it is a long way to the ruins and the possibility of being back late is better than some excursions.

I probably wouldn't go there from Coz, because it is such a long day, much of it on a bus, it is usually very hot at the ruins, and the ferry ride is the only time I have been really, really seasick. However, we've been there three times (two from land trips) so we have already seen it.

One good thing about your other route (Coz, Costa Maya, Roatan) is that there are ruins much closer to Costa Maya, and good private excursions that go there. We also had plenty of time after the trip to the ruins for the beach or pool. Roatan is interesting also, and has some good snorkeling.

We had a fabulous time with Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman and have been to Jamaica several times. We really enjoyed a private tour that took us river tubing, did some sightseeing and then to Dunn's River Falls.

Thank you! I felt like you answered my real question there! As a first time cruiser and traveler, I'm sure we are going to be overwhelmed in many aspects. I'm hoping we enjoy it (no seasickness), but no matter what its the most affordable risk free way to see so much in a decent amount of time and that is its major appeal for us. We want to go big the first time because it might also be the last time for a while once we start having kids. However, thank you for thinking of what we should do rather than the experienced cruiser with same options.

You know what? You're going to have a great time! :D Personally I'd do (and have done) Grand Cayman Island and Jamaica along with Cozumel. Those three ports are all VERY different from one another and will give you a real "world traveller" feel. Costa Maya, Cozumel and Mahogany Bay will all have quite a similar "Latin" influence. Let us know what you decide!

PS - don't let anybody scare you away from Jamaica - it's a beautiful place and if at all possible try a Dunn's River Falls climb for a once-in-a-lifetime thrill.