Celebrity Equinox vs Royal Princess

molole

I am looking at two 10-day Southern Caribbean cruises, one with Royal Princess, the other with Celebrity Equinox.

Those of you who have cruised both could you tell me what the main differences are between these two ships?

Thank you very much in advance!

I am looking at two 10-day Southern Caribbean cruises, one with Royal Princess, the other with Celebrity Equinox.

Those of you who have cruised both could you tell me what the main differences are between these two ships?

Thank you very much in advance!

I have sailed on Princess and on Celebrity but not on those ships. I like both lines. I can give you one difference that we like between the two line. and not the ships. Princess give a military OBC. For a 10 day sailing it is $100. You do not have to be a career military, just have been in the military to get the credit.

We have sailed on both the Royal (our first experience with Princess) and the Solstice and the Eclipse (not the Equinox- but the same class ship.) We have enjoyed all sailings. The two lines are more similar than different. We found the cabins on Celebrity to be larger and more comfortable than the Royal. We had to upgrade to a Deluxe Veranda in order to get a love seat in our cabin. The balconies are much smaller on the Royal. My DH called them "bathmat" size. The Royal bathrooms were also smaller than those found on the S class ships. Both ships are beautiful and spacious. The layout of the Royal is confusing. Much has been written on that subject, but we found it to be unique and part of the adventure. On the other hand, the specialty restaurants on Princess are less expensive than X. Also, the Royal has self-service laundry facilities. That being said, we loved our experience on both lines. In choosing between them, I would look at the itinerary, length of time in port, number of sea days, frequent user perks, etc. You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck, and happy planning.

Atlgators

We have sailed on both the Royal (our first experience with Princess) and the Solstice and the Eclipse (not the Equinox- but the same class ship.) We have enjoyed all sailings. The two lines are more similar than different. We found the cabins on Celebrity to be larger and more comfortable than the Royal. We had to upgrade to a Deluxe Veranda in order to get a love seat in our cabin. The balconies are much smaller on the Royal. My DH called them "bathmat" size. The Royal bathrooms were also smaller than those found on the S class ships. Both ships are beautiful and spacious. The layout of the Royal is confusing. Much has been written on that subject, but we found it to be unique and part of the adventure. On the other hand, the specialty restaurants on Princess are less expensive than X. Also, the Royal has self-service laundry facilities. That being said, we loved our experience on both lines. In choosing between them, I would look at the itinerary, length of time in port, number of sea days, frequent user perks, etc. You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck, and happy planning.

Atlgators

We have several cruises on Solstice and Eclipse and one last month on Royal Princess. I agree completely with these comments. Royal is closer to Solstice class ships than Star and Ruby which are the other Princess ships we have experienced. We love the International Cafe on Royal, but dislike the constant noise from Movies under the Stars in the daytime although it is fun to watch a movie actually under the stars. We missed the Solarium that is on S class, but this is probably not an issue in the Caribbean. Most other things are equal and either ship should provide a wonderful cruise experience.

Sheila

I just noticed this post. I am booked next spring on the Royal Princess. We usually cruise with Princess and thought we would give the new ship a try. Just last week we also booked with X. We have heard great things about Celebrity and thought we would give it a try. From what I have heard Celebrity is just a notch better then Princess. Thanks Larry :D

I have sailed on both lines and to me the difference was the food which I found better on X. Of course, food is very subjective and I would have to give the edge to Princess when it comes to the wine tasting at Vines on Princess. Reasonably priced, knowledgeable, great wines and accompanying "snacks". I left full and a bit tipsy!

I have sailed on both lines and to me the difference was the food which I found better on X. Of course, food is very subjective and I would have to give the edge to Princess when it comes to the wine tasting at Vines on Princess. Reasonably priced, knowledgeable, great wines and accompanying "snacks". I left full and a bit tipsy!

Have you actually cruised on the Royal Princess? The food was excellent on our recent Royal Princess cruise. The best of all our Princess cruises.

I have sailed on both ships. I would never hesitate to sail the Equinox again. The Royal or her sister Regal would have to be sailing an amazing itinerary at a ridiculous price to get me on one of them.

• The food is fine, cruise ship food is cruise ship food. There are good days and great days.
  • The small balconies are already notorious, no point in going over that again.
  • The adult pool, The Retreat, is often unusable due to wind. Even if it is useable, much of the space is taken up by cabanas available for rental so there is not enough space for loungers for everyone else.
  • The only steam room or sauna is in the Enclave, available for a daily fee.
  • The exercise space is incredibly tiny and dark. Once enough people get in there it's a mass of sweaty air.
  • The theatre is a fire marshal's nightmare. Putting safely aside, if you arrive late for a show and the theatre is nearly full, the only way to reach empty seats is to walk all the way to the front, cross in front of the performers and go around to the back.

There's more but I'm trying to put it all behind me.

I'm not against Princess. We sailed the Ruby last month and will sail the Caribbean Princess next fall. I just won't sail the Royal or sister again.

I have only sailed Princess once and it was years ago so can't really compare. I can say that I have sailed very ship Celebrity has ever sailed except for one (including ones no longer with the line) and IMHO the Equinox was the most beautiful of them all. I was blown away.

Positive: Food surprisingly good. Almost as good as Celebrity- and less expensive for similar specialty restaurants. Big plus was self service washers and dryers, very convenient. Ship is pretty.

negative for me: very little shade, if that is important to you. The adult area was a pain in the neck, very over priced for what it was (Celebrity this is included and much nicer.) On Princess, I always need to purchase 24 water bottles or so to bring on board- Their beverage packages do not include water.

Celebrity bevarage packages are much better. I found Princess version of Persian Gardens, not as nice as on Celebrity. Also if you are someone who uses the gym and then want to use steamroom/sauna, the layout on the Royal is peculiar. Gym is on one deck. The steamroom is on another deck, only inside the Princess spa- and only 40 persons are allowed to buy passes on that ship to even use the spa. My dh found the whole experience on the Royal annoying. But if this stuff doesn't matter to you, then they are not negatives! We will be on the coral princess next year for partial panama canal transit. Celebrity doesn't have that, so we will be back on Princess. But we would not book the Royal again, unless itinerary was something special.

Positive: Food surprisingly good. Almost as good as Celebrity- and less expensive for similar specialty restaurants. Big plus was self service washers and dryers, very convenient. Ship is pretty.

negative for me: very little shade, if that is important to you. The adult area was a pain in the neck, very over priced for what it was (Celebrity this is included and much nicer.) On Princess, I always need to purchase 24 water bottles or so to bring on board- Their beverage packages do not include water.

Celebrity bevarage packages are much better. I found Princess version of Persian Gardens, not as nice as on Celebrity. Also if you are someone who uses the gym and then want to use steamroom/sauna, the layout on the Royal is peculiar. Gym is on one deck. The steamroom is on another deck, only inside the Princess spa- and only 40 persons are allowed to buy passes on that ship to even use the spa. My dh found the whole experience on the Royal annoying. But if this stuff doesn't matter to you, then they are not negatives! We will be on the coral princess next year for partial panama canal transit. Celebrity doesn't have that, so we will be back on Princess. But we would not book the Royal again, unless itinerary was something special.

Perhaps someone gave you some bad information. The Princess all inclusive drink package includes all drinks up to $10 including water. Perhaps you are referencing Princess's soda package?