"Live" - Aloha - Rhapsody of the Seas 5 September 2014 - Hawaii Bound

PCWalton1

Just a few points on what we experienced in the different ports.

Vancouver - Whatever you do, please get to the pier early. Shoot for 11-11:30 am especially if you are stuck leaving from Ballantyne Pier. It is an industrial pier and the luggage/security portion is not set up for large numbers of passengers. First there was just one poor soul accepting all the luggage one bag at a time which started the first backup. Then security had only two stations (sometimes) that were open which lead to a massive backup running through both halves of the building. Once we finally got to the check in desk, operations ran smoothly and we were processed quickly and efficiently.

Lahaina Day 1 - for the two days we elected to rent a car. This is what we have done in the past as we are familiar with much of the island. One area that we have not really explored is the upcountry area so that was the plan for the day followed by the Old Lahaina Luau. We knew that was ambitious and time consuming but we wanted to try. Unfortunately I did not get in line soon enough for the early tender tickets. So by the time we got to the beach there was already a long line at the rental car office which is all the way up by the Kapalua Airport. So it was close to 11:30 by the time I got back to Lahaina to pick up Marie (the rental car shuttle would only take drivers up to the office). There ws no way we could explore up country and get back to Lahaina by 5:30 for the luau so we went to plan B and head over to Paia.

Paia has always been a favorite of ours, a little wind surfing town with lots of quirky shops and a great place to eat right downtown, the Paia Fish Market. After lunch and browsing of many of the shops we made a stop at Paia Gelato for a treat then head back across the island for the Old Lahaina Luau.

Lahaina Day 2 - We started the day with a quick trip up to Napili to the Maui Coffee Store, my favorite coffee stop. we then spent a few hours at the Whaler Village in Kaanapali. There is a shop there (Malibu Shirts) that have some great retro shirts. I got one this time form the old airline Pan Am, even has a clipper ship on the back. I think dropped Marie on Front Street in Lahaina and left her to shop as I took back the car. We enjoyed the afternoon on Front Street before heading back to the ship

Hilo - this port was a joy, simple to navigate and lots to see even if you don't leave town. We have taken the tours to the volcano park and Rainbow Falls in the past so we elected just to see downtown. We used the free shuttle provided by the Hilo Farmers Market. If you use it just keep in mind it only runs till 11 am then converts to running tours.

The farmers market is not just produce, there are lots of crafts and even services (massage, etc).Along Kamehameha Ave you will find many shops and places to eat. We elected to go up about 4 blocks to the Full Moon Cafe. Hawaii Magazine listed it has one of the best places to eat in Hilo and they were right. Fresh from the market foods cooked right.

Kailua Kona - For this port we just like to take the tender in and explore Alii Drive. The surf was up so we had some dramatic action along the sea wall. There are plenty of shops and places to eat along the drive. Also there is another farmers market, not as large as Hilo's but they have some of the freshest fruit. We like to grab a bag of rambutans from the market then go a little farther down the road to Kona Haven for coffee to enjoy with the fruit.

We decided to eat lunch at the Fish Hopper up by the tender boat pier. I enjoy looking at their webcam year round so it was great to see the view in person. Not to mention the food and drinks were excellent too.

Nawiliwili Kauai - The original plan was to rent a car and spend time on the north side of the island (Princeville/Hanalei Bay) But we had to be back in this port an hour early and we just didn't feel like running around again so we stayed local. We caught the free Anchor Cove shuttle over to their mall where we explored for a while then head to Kalapaki Beach. The surf was high again so we were treated to a lot of wave action. We then went to the Marriott to explore the botanical gardens. From what we were told they actually built the hotel around the garden. It is a very beautiful experience with the peaceful garden and a large koi pond.

We finished our visit with lunch at the Feral Pig. Great place for those that love meat. Just going off the menu and order a Feral Burger, part smoked pork, part beef.

Honolulu - We bid on Priceline to get our hotel. Ended up at the Aston Waikiki Beach. I called them last month to let them know we were on an anniversary vacation so found we had a free upgrade to ocean view room. We spent part of the day at the beach and part of the day browsing the shops. The hotel was a good location as we had the recommendation to eat a Lulu's which was right around the corner. This was a perfect recommendation as the food was great. I had garlic crusted ahi and Marie had Maryland Mahi which was grilled mahi mahi with a Maryland crab cake in the middle. Delicious.

Before I finished I just wanted to give a shout out to all the people we met (or re-met). From the M&M crew to DL chats to our international dining mates and our luau buddies, all of you made this another cruise to remember. Take care and may we meet at sea again. :)

Bill, nice summary of your (ours, too!) cruise. Thanks again, I enjoyed your posts.

While Ballantyne Pier in Vancouver was, indeed, a mess, I'm glad it was the only true negative (for us) on this sailing. Everything seemed to go well. The rental car issue will always be a problem, with so many people wanting the same thing at the same time. (It would be nice for the car companies to figure out they need extra shuttles on days when ships are in port.)

One point I would like to add to Bill's review, and apologies if this has previously been mentioned -- the crew was so pleasant and friendly, it really enhanced our already enjoyable sailing. This was our 4th cruise on Rhapsody in a year, and we are sorry it is leaving the region.

Happy sailing! :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

One point I would like to add to Bill's review, and apologies if this has previously been mentioned -- the crew was so pleasant and friendly, it really enhanced our already enjoyable sailing. This was our 4th cruise on Rhapsody in a year, and we are sorry it is leaving the region.

Happy sailing! :)

If it was mentioned it was not enough. The crew on Rhapsody is amazing. Always friendly, enthusiastic, and continuously working hard to satisfy. They really made this a great, great cruise. They made us feel like we have known them for years and it is a little sad to know they will not be heading back this way next year.

What a great review and pictures. Really appreciate all the time and effort to make people like me feel like the are on

the cruise with you. I know your back to work:(:(:(. Hope you are planning your next cruise and live review!!

Thanks again

Norma

Thanks glad you enjoyed the review. Doing a western Caribbean on Oasis in January and may do a live review again. [emoji4]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks glad you enjoyed the review. Doing a western Caribbean on Oasis in January and may do a live review again. [emoji4]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I would LOVE that! With all the changes coming up, you will be able to give us a first-hand opinion. (We are sailing Oasis in January, 2016.) I'm sure the unlimited WIFI will be reasonable. :)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Found your review long after our cruise with you (the first week of your b2b). Especially appreciate your pics from the Alcatraz Tour we were on. Poor Marie! That torn meniscus should have put her on the handicap tram. I started off walking next to Bob (who was riding due to continuing recovery from surgery for a serious toe infection) and the driver stopped and told me to take a seat since there was plenty of room. Did you see the show on History Channel Monday about the escape from Alcatraz in '62? Much more interesting because of our recent visit.

Found your review long after our cruise with you (the first week of your b2b). Especially appreciate your pics from the Alcatraz Tour we were on. Poor Marie! That torn meniscus should have put her on the handicap tram. I started off walking next to Bob (who was riding due to continuing recovery from surgery for a serious toe infection) and the driver stopped and told me to take a seat since there was plenty of room. Did you see the show on History Channel Monday about the escape from Alcatraz in '62? Much more interesting because of our recent visit.

Oops! This was supposed to be on your Calif Coastal b2b review [emoji5]️

LOL, no worries. I do that now and then. Yeah, we missed out trip to Muir Woods the next morning so she could rest up.

Haven't seen that yet, I am going to check to see if it's on the History Channel on demand. :)