Eating Vegan

never2late

I eat a plant based diet, no meat, no dairy, no eggs. Low salt. I am not religious about it, but try to stick to that for health reasons. At home, it is not a problem. Besides talking to the Maitre D for dinner choices, does anyone have any tips for eating around the ship from those of you who may be vegan or Veganish?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From my FAQ:

Food Allergies/Special Diets/Dietary Concerns

Many cruisers nowadays have special dietary needs, most often for medical reasons. Cruise lines will do everything possible to accommodate reasonable requests, but it takes a partnership.

If you have a dietary need, there are certain general steps you should follow:

• If your needs are medically based, I recommend traditional dining. Maintaining the same wait staff will make it much easier to manage. If TD is not an option, see below.
  • Indicate your specific needs in the cruise personalizer as early as possible. This allows for the possibility of onloading any special items needed.
  • Once onboard, contact the Maitre’D on embarkation day (location will be listed in the patter). Confirm they have your details correct. He or she will go over their specific protocols with you.
  • Indicate if your dietary needs are medical or preferential, i.e. a food allergy versus a lifestyle choice. This can influence options available and also make it easier on the kitchen staff. Food allergies require special care, but if you don’t eat nuts by preference you will not know they used the same pot to cook it.
  • During meals, your main point of contact will be your servers and most especially your headwaiter. Each evening, the headwaiter should review the next day’s menu with you and will work with you to adjust as needed. They can also make arrangements for specialty dining, which should be confirmed upon arrival at the venue.
  • If you are in AD, and at Breakfast and Lunch, advise your servers that the headwaiter is aware of your special diet and has arranged menu options if available.

Some Notes:

• Needless to say, your options may be limited early on Embarkation day, and the adjustments at the first night’s dinner may also be a little more limited as the kitchen has had very little time to prepare. That said, the kitchen will do whatever they can.
  • In general, avoid the buffet. While Princess makes every effort to avoid cross-contamination, your fellow passengers do not. I’ve personally observed the same utensils used to spread peanut butter used to pick up other items.
  • Princess cannot provide special meals to take off the ship as most ports will not allow it. You should plan accordingly for excursions.
  • The executive chef and their team and the headwaiter will be working very hard to ensure your needs. If you can arrange it, a personal thank you is always a good idea, or at the very least a positive comment card.
  • A good place to meet the EC is at the Chef’s table. The chef’s table is an excellent option and they will adjust the menu as needed.

I think you will find the buffet has lots of options, large salad bar for starters. They generally have a selection of prepared vegetables dishes.

There is also a Assistant Maitre'd in the Buffet area, you want wish to talk to this individual as well.

We have found especially on Princess if there is something we want at the buffet, that is not out, that if asked for it, if available, staff with get it for us.

I am talking about simple things like nuts, whole wheat bread, etc.

Like you I watch what I eat and eat a lot of vegetables. I do eat eggs, fish, meat but only very small portions. I do not eat any starches,grains, sugars, fruit... on my next cruise on Celebrity I plan on asking for raw vegetables at the buffet.

We usually tip folks getting items we requested at the buffet, to acknowledge our appreciation, a couple of dollars at the time of service.

I eat a plant based diet, no meat, no dairy, no eggs. Low salt. I am not religious about it, but try to stick to that for health reasons. At home, it is not a problem. Besides talking to the Maitre D for dinner choices, does anyone have any tips for eating around the ship from those of you who may be vegan or Veganish?

Each day's menus are posted at the entrances to the main dining rooms. These menus list vegetarian items and identifies them by placing a (V) by the item. I do not recall if the same practice is followed on the menus of the specialty restaurants nor do I recall ever seeing any signs in the buffet identifying the types of food you want.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1981525&highlight=vegan

Each day's menus are posted at the entrances to the main dining rooms. These menus list vegetarian items and identifies them by placing a (V) by the item.

Many vegetarian foods are not vegan which is what the OP needs.

It is more difficult to find vegan items since cheese, eggs and other dairy products are often in the vegetarian foods.

For the dining room, meet with your head waiter the first evening. He will help you for that evening, but even better will help you plan the next evening's menu for you and do this each day for the next evening.

And, by the way, if you are just looking for vegetarian items, quiz your headwaiter for some details. We have found in some cases items marked with a V are not truly vegetarian. For example once there was a V by vegetable soup, but it turns out the recipe called for chicken broth. The headwaiter (with 24 hours notice) can have it prepared for you without chicken broth.

Your options will be severely limited as cruise lines try to appeal to a maximum of passengers... Also, being vegan is not a medical requirement so less options are offered. However, salad bar options and some of the salads at the International Cafe may be your best options. Do speak with the head waiter in the dining room.

Yes, occasionally, there will be Indian food offered, but how often?

All the advice you will need.
Even better is to go directly to their blog:

http://justinpluslauren.com/eating-vegan-on-a-cruise-ship/

Also of interest:

http://lifewithachefswife.blogspot.com/2012/04/princess-cruise-review-for-vegetarians.html

http://thatveganthing.blogspot.com/2010/08/princess-cruises.html

Edited by billco

My wife and I are vegetarians but, at home, eat many vegan meals.

Our experiences on cruise ships are that buffet meals will, usually, provide for a vegan diet, although we have had cause to complain about all salads having meat or fish in but MDR not.

Basically the chefs do not understand how to provide a balanced diet based upon vegetarian or vegan principles. The ingredients are probably on board but it's the how to use them that is lacking.

I have sometimes been tempted to say, let me show you how.

For instance, you'll not see pasta with lentils in a tomato and basil sauce with toasted pine nuts served with pan fried courgette strips, broccili heads and red pepper.

I have sometimes been tempted to say, let me show you how.

For instance, you'll not see pasta with lentils in a tomato and basil sauce with toasted pine nuts served with pan fried courgette strips, broccili heads and red pepper.

When's dinner? I'll be right over! :);):D There are a couple of vegans in my family, and I think they eat pretty well. True, one must understand the nutrition principles.

Edited by shredie

Well, don't be a tease . . Share the recipe with us!

Here is what I do. We eat this for lunch a lot. severs two.

1 can of 8 oz. tomatoes sauce (or crushed fresh tomatoes)

4 cans of water. ( fill the tomatoes can )

1/2 chopped onion

red pepper to taste

4 or more fresh basil leaves salt to taste (if you want)

Olive oil

lentils 3 Oz (cleaned )

Pasta (Maybe use medium shells) 5 oz.

Put oil in pot. Enough to cover the bottom.

Add chopped onion and cook until soft.

Add tomatoes, water basil, red pepper and salt

Cook (simmer) about 20 minutes

Add lentils and simmer until done. Put pasta in raw and cook until done.

If it looks like you need more water add while cooking. I really don't know the amount of lentils because I go by looks. The same with the water. You might need more.

Now if you don't like or want lentils use a can of navy beans. Cleaned and rinsed. Do every thing the same but simmer the sauce for 30 minutes then add the beans in the last 10 minutes, then add the pasta.

You can do the same with peas too.

If you like it dryer use less water. Once you do it you will know what you like. For non vegan top with graded cheese.

Edited by geocruiser