Motion Sickness Pills

Mybubbles65

I went on a Carnival cruise about 10 years ago. The ship was an older ship called the celebration. Even though I took gravol before getting on the ship I was still sick the first day or so. at the time, there were baskets of sea sick pills scattered around the ship that were free. These pills worked quite well for me. Any idea what medication they would have been so I can stock up before my cruise in February?

Bonine and ginger pills, works great for me. I start the follow the day before we sail. Bonine at bedtime and a ginger pill at every meal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ABSOLUTELY correct...my son starts the day before the cruise also, to get it into his system. Since he started taking Bonine a couple of years ago, he has NOT been seasick!!!!!

Does everyone get sick?

I've never been seasick on a cruise and have never taken any medication. Same for my DH, and we've been on some pretty bumpy rides. If you are prone to motion sickness, however, you definitely want to bring something along; Bonine or Dramamine or the generics of those. My daughter generally finds that Bonine works better for her.

You either get motion sickness or you are immune. It seems to be an inborn thing. Some folks are lucky and others are not. Telling those of us that you never feel it doesn't help us to feel better!!

The pills on the ship were the generic form of both Bonine and the non drowsy Dramamine II. It is called Meclazine.

You can buy it from any pharmacy here in the USA. It is usually on the shelf right next to the Bonine and Dramamine II since it is the same thing but less expensive.

I've been on many cruises, and still used to get sick. My DH has never been sick. Bonine works wonders for me. Have never been sick after discovering Bonine. Nice small baby aspirin taste, and no drowsy feeling at all. I have an artificial Aortic Valve, and have to be on blood thinners always. Ginger is great for motion sickness, but if you are on Coumadin or another blood thinner, please consult your. MD first. Ginger is a natural blood thinner, and threw me levels sky high. Just be careful. I wish I could take Ginger pills, because it is so good.

Edited by INCHARGE

I've been on many cruises, and still used to get sick. My DH has never been sick. Bonine works wonders for me. Have never been sick after discovering Bonine. Nice small baby aspirin taste, and no drowsy feeling at all. I have an artificial Aortic Valve, and have to be on blood thinners always. Ginger is great for motion sickness, but if you are on Coumadin or another blood thinner, please consult your. MD first. Ginger is a natural blood thinner, and threw me levels sky high. Just be careful. I wish I could take Ginger pills, because it is so good.

Thank you SO much for this information! My husband also had valve replacement last year and is on Coumadin. We thought we knew what to avoid eating, but no one has ever mentioned ginger!

You either get motion sickness or you are immune. It seems to be an inborn thing. Some folks are lucky and others are not. Telling those of us that you never feel it doesn't help us to feel better!!

The pills on the ship were the generic form of both Bonine and the non drowsy Dramamine II. It is called Meclazine.

You can buy it from any pharmacy here in the USA. It is usually on the shelf right next to the Bonine and Dramamine II since it is the same thing but less expensive.

I was simply trying to reassure a first-time cruiser that not everyone gets seasick. Since my daughter does, obviously the rest of my post was directed to people who do, based on her experience. I really don't think my comment was in any way meant to denigrate people who do suffer from it :rolleyes:

Hubby and I always get a prescription from our MD for motion sickness patches. We apply it 24 hours before getting on the ship and have done great with it every single time. It costs no more after insurance than ginger pills or anything else. Ginger never worked for me (but YAY for those it helps!!). We always wear the patch for the first couple of days and then don't apply another one til we're heading back at the end of the cruise. There's no way to tell if you will get seasick just as there's no way to tell how the conditions will be. Hubby has never had motion sickness in his life but his very first cruise had a hard time the first day. Since the patches -- no more problems.

We took Dramamine the first time we cruised and ended up groggy the whole cruise. Second cruise used the wristbands and they worked great!

Going to use bands and experiment with ginger gum and the "less drowsy" Dramamine on our upcoming cruise.

Celebration was much smaller than all of the current ships even Fantasy Class. Newer ships also have better stabilization systems. So, although you may still feel the motion and still get sick, probably won't be as bad on the bigger boat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I never had a motion issue, but my sister does she has 1 green apple in the morning and another green apple with meals and 1 before bed and that does the trick for her.

My wife gets sick the 1st sea day, she eats the green apples the first day. She also starts with the ginger pills the day before and she bought those cheap Sea Bands at the drug store and wears them on her wrists. Works like a charm.

Good luck

Motion sickness is weird. My wife gets sick just riding in the car. I never got motion sick, until at sea. Our first cruise had the smoothest seas ever. The ocean looked like a mirror and I was soooooo sick. Thank goodness for those free pills they had available. Now, they charge for small packs of them. I take my Bonine pills now and have no problems, even with rough seas. My wife doesn't need anything.

Isn't bonnie meclazine?

Yes. Bonine is one of the brand names for Meclazine.

The original Dramamine is diphenhydramine, which makes you sleepy, paired with a stimulant to counteract the drowsiness (although it doesn't do a good job of it). The NON-DROWSY formula Dramamine (called Non-Drowsy Dramamine or Dramamine II) is Meclazine.

Edited by Davey Wavey

Try the Sea-Bands... I know it sounds crazy, but my wife has motion-sickness issues from time to time and was able to NOT take any pills on our last 2 cruises thanks to the bands on her wrist. She was able to go most days with just one. Kept her from being all dopey from the pills and let her fully enjoy the trip... Ebay has them cheap... worth a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unripened or Granny Smith?

I read an interesting post on this subject on another thread and thought I would pass it on.

You can buy apple spray at Dollar Tree and some other stores, and the person who posted said it stopped the queasiness immediately.

I haven't tried it, but sounds like it is worth a try.

Try the Sea-Bands... I know it sounds crazy, but my wife has motion-sickness issues from time to time and was able to NOT take any pills on our last 2 cruises thanks to the bands on her wrist. She was able to go most days with just one. Kept her from being all dopey from the pills and let her fully enjoy the trip... Ebay has them cheap... worth a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people make fun of the sea bands, but they work on the same principle as accupressure. You can apply pressure between the two tendons you feel about two finger widths above the bend on the inside of your wrist.

If it works for you, it is NOT crazy !!!!

I have been motion sick on cruises before, but I'm not quite as sensitive to it as some others are (my mom gets sick on every cruise as soon as we hit the first bump). I can generally feel seasickness coming on and for me popping a ginger pill or two will settle everything down just fine. Due to my mother ALWAYS. Getting sick we usually bring the entire medicine cabinet, ginger pills and peppermint have always seemed to do the trick for me and then I don't end up feeling groggy or drugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk