pre cruise stay in Galveston suggestions please!

Carrie10026

What are the closest hotels to stay at the night before a departure from the cruise terminal? Would like a nice safe clean spot within walking distance to restaurants. We fly in via American airlines and will take a shuttle to Galveston with the day before hoping to find a nice and clean 3-4 star hotel Any advice on hotels and shuttles? I checked TA and post said to try CC.

Thank you in advance!

There's one right on the dock - Harbor House, also Tremont House is very close, a bit pricy but fun for a special stay, excellent service. There's several restaurants near (and on) the dock too. Many other hotels are along the seawall in all price ranges, with some offering shuttles.

Take a look at http://www.galveston.com/lodging/

Edited by pspercy

I like the Hilton on Seawall. Landry's is a very good restaurant that shares a parking lot with the Hilton. There is also a Kroger grocery store less than half a block away if you need any last minute items such as your two bottles of wine or sunscreen. I have also been known to buy a toothbrush there after leaving mine at home. They have a shuttle but we ended up taking a cab as it was going to be 2pm before we could get the shuttle.

We stayed at the Galveston Beach Hotel in May. We got a good price. The place has a nice pool with a swim up bar. The room was decent. It had a balcony overlooking the pool and across the road is the beach. We understand the hotel had new ownership just before our stay. While some area of the hotel looked tired, overall it wasn't too bad. Right next To the hotel is a Saltgrass steakhouse. Very good. There was a shuttle to the port but I don't know if it is available all the time. We would stay there again.

Have to agree with the Hilton, free shuttle and free parking:)

Krogers near by and also Rain forest Cafe, IHOP all within short walking distance.

Also has a nice pool area.

note: regarding shuttle, make sure you book with someone at the valet desk the night before

There are 10:00am and 11:00 am shuttles, they will also pick you up on your return from the cruise terminal.

Edited by PompeySailor

The closest hotels to stay at..the night before a departure from the cruise terminal and are a nice safe clean spot within walking distance to restaurants.

ARE only Tremont and Harbor House .

Both are better hotels.

We are staying at the hilton in November ... Got it for $125 which I thought was a good price.

I didn't know they offer free parking, is that correct? We are driving down from Dallas and that would be real nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Harbour House is our favorite

Also the restaurant below, OlympiaGrill Pier 21, is a great place to eat

Here is our view from a couple years ago

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35503630&postcount=27

I knew you would come in here ! And glad you did.

Hi Jon ! See y'all in Galveston soon.

But I agree with anything Jon says about Harbor house.

Both hotels are wonderful and each have advantages.

And both are close enough to each other to enjoy the advantages.

You would not be dissapointed with either.

We are staying at the hilton in November ... Got it for $125 which I thought was a good price.

I didn't know they offer free parking, is that correct? We are driving down from Dallas and that would be real nice.

Yes we have always had free parking.

Driver follows shuttle bus to a dedicated parking area behind the San Luis resort

Rest of party already on the shuttle, park up, hop on and good to go!

That is a good price as well, we paid double that in June!!!!

Edited by PompeySailor

Yes, you can park your car there for the week and they will shuttle you to the port (and back). This is all included in the room price. When you check in the night before schedule your shuttle time and they will show you where to park your car for the week (behind the San Luis hotel).

We have stayed there 4 times prior to cruising. Very nice and a great price for all they offer.

Edited by Lilyrosemum

Thanks everyone! I am going to look into the Hilton tomorrow. Now I am wondering too about the shuttle from Houston to Galveston. We are flying in from Phoenix and will need to find a way to do that! Sometimes I wish we lived in Texas or Florida!!!! :mad:

Thanks everyone! I am going to look into the Hilton tomorrow. Now I am wondering too about the shuttle from Houston to Galveston. We are flying in from Phoenix and will need to find a way to do that! Sometimes I wish we lived in Texas or Florida!!!! :mad:

Depending how many there are in your party and which airport you are coming into in Houston you can always just hop into a cab. From Houston Hobby I think it is about an $85 dollar cab ride per cab. Not sure how much from George Bush International.

Good luck with your plans. Navigator is a great, fun ship. And don't forget to book the specialty restaurant Sabor for a real treat. Very, very good and none of the other ships have that restaurant yet. Have a great cruise.

The closest hotels to stay at..the night before a departure from the cruise terminal and are a nice safe clean spot within walking distance to restaurants.

ARE only Tremont and Harbor House .

Both are better hotels.

The reason is both are closest and are only two blocks or so

from terminal .

San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens and others mentioned are all

great hotels also , but are not by terminals.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson , little bit out of the way but price was good , and seeing as we had a rental car location was not an issue , if your planning a nice dinner for the Saturday night that you arrive , make a reservation , we had an hour wait for seating , after checking 3 restaurants , the black pearl looks very good , but we ended up at fishermans wharf , still very good food

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Be forewarned!! The 4 star hotels in Galveston (all of them - Tremont, Harbor House, Hilton, San Luis, Galvez) ALL require a TWO night minimum stay, if you are departing their hotel on Sunday (as in going on a cruise). There are many other hotels in the lesser star category that don't have that requirement.

There are no rental car options in Galveston. Look into the cost of renting a car for the week vs taking a shuttle from Houston. Some have done that. If you stay at one of the 4 star hotels, they all offer free parking & shuttle service to/from the pier.

The Harbor House & Tremont are located in/near the Strand Area, which is full of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. The others are all located on the Seawall having views of the Gulf.........lots of things to do there too.

Enjoy your stay in Galveston & your cruise!

Edited by SRV FAN

Special events, high vs low season, weekends/mid weeks

make all the difference in the world with policies.

In other words general demand/supply and vacancy/occupancy

and timing of stay and reservation

will dictate

availability on one or two night basis.

And Everything in hotel business is negotiable!

Deal with them on rooms, rates, parking and transfers.

Edited by ssb

If you call Hilton, rather than booking online you can get a 1 night stay minimum.

Have done this last 4 times we have sailed from there

Agreed online bookings for Hilton will only accept minimum 2 nights, so best to call them, if you choose this hotel.

Good to know. I have stayed there three times, the San Luis three times, the Holiday Inn Resort once, the Galvez once & am currently booked at the Harbor House for our next sailing. HATE being forced to stay two nights!!! Thanks for sharing that tidbit! Will save me some $$!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good to know. I have stayed there three times, the San Luis three times, the Holiday Inn Resort once, the Galvez once & am currently booked at the Harbor House for our next sailing. HATE being forced to stay two nights!!! Thanks for sharing that tidbit! Will save me some $$!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your welcome.

We are creatures of habit so have never ventured from Hilton, and as you know it is all there.

Happy Days!