Off Menu MDR Requests

redspain

You'd better Adam and Eve it me old cocker.

I'll be having a butchers at Oasis next week. Hope me plates last out!! :eek:

LoL "spat my ice cream all over my screen:D"

Don't forget to visit the ole rub a dub dub, and have a nice Pint of George Raft

If your wearing the right ones n twos the plates will be fine

Edited by PompeySailor

You can always get sides easily-rice, baked potato, french fries, veggies such as broccoli, carrots, green beans. We just order what's on the menu, but sometimes I ask for extra veggies or ask them to leave something off such as sauces or seafood-I'm allergic to shrimp. You can also substitute starters as entrees and vice versa.

OK...I find the "cockney talk" fascinating even though I have no idea what most of it means. Is there an explanation as to how it originated? Seems like it is almost code so those who don't know it won't understand it for whatever reason. I am English by ethnicity and was an English major in school so I am interested in linguistics, etc. and how languages and their variations came to be. Anybody know? :)

OK...I find the "cockney talk" fascinating even though I have no idea what most of it means. Is there an explanation as to how it originated? Seems like it is almost code so those who don't know it won't understand it for whatever reason. I am English by ethnicity and was an English major in school so I am interested in linguistics, etc. and how languages and their variations came to be. Anybody know? :)

From what I understand from my Great Grandad, is that it came about in the early 14th century as a kind of code amongst thieves.

Of course he was probably told this by his father and passed down the generations.

Although there is no harden proof as to its origin.

Basically it is defined as being a language used by City Folk of London

(Working class citizens)

It is not as commonly used these days, but is a fun slang when used in good humor:)

Pretty much all of the slang rhymes, hence the terminology " Cockney Rhyming Slang"

Hope this helps.

Happy Days!

And don't forget to wear you "Whistle & Flute" to the MDR;)

Hey Rala:

Following is a more precise definition of a cockney:

"Traditionally, people born within earshot of the bells of the church of St. Mary-le-Bow in Cheapside, London, were classified as true Cockneys. These were the Bow Bells.

The traditional areas in which the Cockney culture originated was the areas of Bethnal Green, Whitechapel, Hackney (which includes Hoxton and Shoreditch), Blackwall, Bow, Bow Common, Bromley-by-Bow, Cambridge Heath, Canary Wharf, Cubitt Town, Docklands, East Smithfield, Fish Island, Globe Town, Isle of Dogs, Leamouth, Limehouse, Mile End, Millwall, Old Ford, Poplar, Ratcliff, St George in the East, Shadwell, Spitalfields, Stepney, and Wapping"

Although I have lived in the US for many years I was born and brought up in Bethnal Green, in East London and am by definition a "real" cockney. Whilst it is nice hearing the cockney rhyming slang I must tell you that even then it was very seldom used when I was growing up in the sixties. This part of London has now changed dramatically and most of the original "East Enders" have moved out to the suburbs of London. Unfortunately the real cockneys and their way of life can now only be found in the the history books!

You can always get sides easily-rice, baked potato, french fries, veggies such as broccoli, carrots, green beans. We just order what's on the menu, but sometimes I ask for extra veggies or ask them to leave something off such as sauces or seafood-I'm allergic to shrimp. You can also substitute starters as entrees and vice versa.

I often ask for extras. I don't eat desserts so I always request a bowl of fresh fruit or berries for my dessert.

Sometimes I'll ask for a small piece of fish from this meal, and a small piece of lamb from that meal. Those and a side of not-on-the-menu beans, carrots, etc. make a very tasty dinner!

I find that they are very willing to accommodate everyone's wishes, if they are asked politely.