Charleston - upgrades and improvements to its Wando Welch Terminal

Linda the Book Lover

I saw this on the Carnival Cruise Line Boards and wondered if NCL might wish to return to Charleston for a Bermuda run. Years ago the DH and I went to Bermuda leaving from Charleston and it was not a great embarkation experience. Twist my arm I would be willing to leave from Charleston again. :D Since we have family there it would be a great port to leave from after a family visit. Has anyone heard anything about cruise ship news?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 10, 2014

SC Ports Authority Awarded $10.8 Million TIGER Grant

Charleston, S.C.- SC Ports Authority has been awarded a 10.8 million dollar Transportation Infrastructure Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant for planned upgrades and improvements to its Wando Welch Terminal.

"We are deeply appreciative for the support of our Congressional delegation and the Obama Administration, who were instrumental in elevating the visibility of our port, an important asset to South Carolina and the entire nation," said Bill Stern, SCPA Board Chairman. "The Wando Terminal improvements ensure that the SCPA has the infrastructure necessary to handle growing import and export cargo volumes on a new generation of ocean vessels, supporting US trade goals and our nation's role in international commerce."

The US Department of Transportation grant represents nearly 13 percent of the total estimated cost for upgrading the SCPA's busiest container terminal. The project includes upgrades to structural support of the wharf and fendering system, as well as modifications to crane rails to accommodate two new super-post-Panamax cranes on order for the terminal.

"This announcement couldn't be more timely, given the information shared by industry experts at this week's SC International Trade Conference," said Jim Newsome, SCPA president and CEO. "The prevailing sentiment throughout the maritime community and supporting industries is that ports are facing significant infrastructure improvement needs. It is clear that post-Panamax vessels are the new standard and that port competitiveness is and will continue to be driven by the ability to accommodate big ships."

Construction on the project will begin in the spring of 2015 and will be completed in two or two and a half years, followed by the Post-45 Harbor Deepening Project and the opening of a new SCPA container terminal on the former Navy Base by the end of the decade.

Sorry, this is a shipping/cargo terminal only.

The passenger terminal upgrade is bogged down in senseless nuisance lawsuits by cruise opponents and I highly doubt it will happen in even 5 years.

Carnival stopped going to Bermuda because of disagreements with Bermuda, not because of the Port of Charleston infrastructure.

CCL Fantasy is currently homeported there and USED to make a Bermuda run, before the disagreement.

HOWEVER, I agree it sure would be nice if Norwegian could homeport a ship in Charleston! Do they not realize people fill the Fantasy NOT because it is so nice but because they can easily drive to it?

Put the Sun or similar here and I would be on it several times a year!

Speaking as a Charlestonian we would welcome an upgraded cruise experiance. Lawsuits are from well to do people living close to current bad terminal complaining about their view blocked for a few hours a week we have ships coming and going all the time and old SPA terminal downtown seems to be getting used more all the time. Please send us an alterative ship.

I would like to see NCL sail a ship from Boston to Bermuda, with a port call in Charleston. This would be a wonderful cruise extention for those who think that 7 days to Bermuda is too short. With Bermuda off of the coast of NC, the Charleston stop would not be far out.

They could do this for a few of the Boston---Bermuda runs, leaving most as standard 7 day trips. DH and I would definitely take the extended trip.

I saw a 10 day itinerary of RCI's Vision of the Seas, which called in Charleston, Bermuda, Nassau, and elsewhere. Only this cruise left from Fort Lauderdale.

PLEASE NCL!!!!!!

The passenger terminal upgrade is bogged down in senseless nuisance lawsuits by cruise opponents and I highly doubt it will happen in even 5 years.

Carnival stopped going to Bermuda because of disagreements with Bermuda, not because of the Port of Charleston infrastructure.

CCL Fantasy is currently homeported there and USED to make a Bermuda run, before the disagreement.

HOWEVER, I agree it sure would be nice if Norwegian could homeport a ship in Charleston! Do they not realize people fill the Fantasy NOT because it is so nice but because they can easily drive to it?

Agreed! We would love better cruises out of Charleston, especially if they were NCL.

Edited by Bonbi

I, too, would love to see some different ships (NCL in particular) in Charleston. Being that I live in SC, it would be sooooo great to be able to leave from there. However, the Carnival Fantasy just holds no interest for me.

I also have a few friends who would love to try out a cruise but don't want to fly (or drive for hours). :/

Thanks for the info on the ports. I am hoping NCL is thinking about Charleston since my most favorite port wish is for a ship from San Francisco does not seem like it ever come true.

Seems that some in Charleston have made it clear they don't want cruise passengers in their city. With so many cities fighting to gain cruise ships or more cruise ships, starting new service in an unfriendly city seems pretty unlikely. Charleston is a beautiful city, but many don't like the riff raff coming to their town.

Hey! I'm part of the riff raff and I live here! Trust me, most folks want the upgraded terminal.

It's always a vocal few, and I mean very few, with deep pockets who cause the problems.

I have co-workers who live downtown in the thick of it and they want it also...

Charleston is so popular anymore with visitors coming in by car and plane that quite honestly it makes no difference in the crowding whether a ship is in port or not.

Oceana has been stopping quite regularly.

I would like to see NCL sail a ship from Boston to Bermuda, with a port call in Charleston. This would be a wonderful cruise extention for those who think that 7 days to Bermuda is too short. With Bermuda off of the coast of NC, the Charleston stop would not be far out.

They could do this for a few of the Boston---Bermuda runs, leaving most as standard 7 day trips. DH and I would definitely take the extended trip.

I saw a 10 day itinerary of RCI's Vision of the Seas, which called in Charleston, Bermuda, Nassau, and elsewhere. Only this cruise left from Fort Lauderdale.

PLEASE NCL!!!!!!

That itinerary is equivalent, or close, to a NYC to Southampton TA . . . The shortest leg is the Boston to Bermuda leg. Way too many sea days.

Seems that some in Charleston have made it clear they don't want cruise passengers in their city. With so many cities fighting to gain cruise ships or more cruise ships, starting new service in an unfriendly city seems pretty unlikely. Charleston is a beautiful city, but many don't like the riff raff coming to their town.

Why do they think that cruise passengers are riff raffs?

They'll sing another tune, once the cruise tourists shop in their stores, spend money on tours, and dine in their restaurants.

Tourism brings revenu into the city. Charlestonians should be proud to show off their lovely city.