alaska radiance jeans in dining room question

jeannie126

Acceptable? Yes. Another sign of the steady decline of civility & class in our society? Yep. /QUOTE]

And based on your remarks to the OP, we are to believe that you are the poster child for civility and class??

To the OP - have a great Alaskan cruise and wear those jeans - you will no doubt run into many civil and classy travelers doing the same...;)

The answer to the question is Yes- jeans are fine for dinner.

But - please be aware that there is often rain on Alaska so if you wear jeans during the day and anticipate also wearing them to dinner, they might be wet. We all know how long jeans take to dry. (There is just so much that a hand held hair dryer can do when trying to dry denim. )

good luck and enjoy

M

I think you can make jeans look nice, I mean really. As long as they aren't dirty and full of holes, who cares? You can for sure make jeans look nice with heels or a cute pair of flats.

People sure need to realize it's 2014 and not 1980 anymore. Or look in a magazine once and awhile and see that you can look great and fashionable in a pair of jeans.

Call me hyperbolic, call me judgmental. You're wrong on both counts. I didn't realize the ONLY opinions that can be shared around here without being subject to criticism are the majority opinions...

1) Yes, as others have already posted, it's allowable to wear jeans on any night on any RCI ship or itinerary. RCI officially "suggests" that you don't, but in no way requires that you don't.

2) I don't think the jeans/shorts advocates around here are anywhere close to the "majority opinion" at least with respect to how people will actually dress on the cruise. Look around at dinner - will you see jeans? Absolutely. Will you see shorts? Depends on the actual enforcement on that ship, which is uneven at best, as others have said. But will those wearing jeans & shorts comprise the majority? Absolutely not. The large majority will still be following RCI's suggested dress for the evening. The militant jeans/shorts advocates here are the vocal minority, not the majority.

Oh my.... It wasn't mean. I was just sharing my opinion. I would never say something to someone in person, but these are basically anonymous message boards. I respect that I'm in the minority. But I am still completely entitled to my opinion. Perhaps it was a bit unsolicited, but it doesn't change the fact that I am still entitled to it.

Why is it we completely respect and support the "do whatever you want" opinions around here, but when someone makes a frank observation about how society has changed in a way he or she doesn't necessarily think is for they better, it is seen as a "slap in the face"?

Can you wear jeans in the MDR? Absolutely! People do it all the time. And it is unlikely anyone will say anything. In fact, I think it would be FANTASTICALLY INAPPROPRIATE if anyone did. All I did was share MY opinion about the current trend. Perhaps I did it in a somewhat colorful fashion. But it's just how I feel. Do I lose sleep over it? hardly! But I just threw it out there.

No feel free to resume your flaming of me as a terrible human being, simply for sharing my opinion.

Oh please. It's the way you said it, sunshine. Much like I'm constructing this message to belittle your anonymous internet-persona - you did the same to the OP without thought, and now you attempt to hide behind the notion of there being nothing wrong with offering your opinion.

You should now recognise the difference between rudeness and an offering ones opinion without much difficulty.

Good day! :)

Wow and my goodness!

From a tried and true PNW girl (and we include Alaska!) most people here stick to casual year round, as cold, wet and windy don't lend themselves to slinky dresses and high heels. (But always fun to watch people try!) Even in our "fancy" restaurants you find people in nice jeans and a dressy top, and often Uggs or other flat shoes. I love dressing up, but when packing for Alaska space is limited-and when it comes to choosing between a nice dress and a fleece vest, I will go with the vest every time! Same goes for hiking boots instead of heels!

And I am someone who dresses nicely to fly-despite the fact that it is a relic of an era when flights were worth celebrating, not cattle cars where you are lucky to not be pressed against your neighbor and you may or may not get a Dixie cup of soda.

So go, wear what you want, and have a lovely time! You will never forget Alaska! :)

Megan

1) Yes, as others have already posted, it's allowable to wear jeans on any night on any RCI ship or itinerary. RCI officially "suggests" that you don't, but in no way requires that you don't.

2) I don't think the jeans/shorts advocates around here are anywhere close to the "majority opinion" at least with respect to how people will actually dress on the cruise. Look around at dinner - will you see jeans? Absolutely. Will you see shorts? Depends on the actual enforcement on that ship, which is uneven at best, as others have said. But will those wearing jeans & shorts comprise the majority? Absolutely not. The large majority will still be following RCI's suggested dress for the evening. The militant jeans/shorts advocates here are the vocal minority, not the majority.

However, just to be absolutely clear, RCI's suggested dress guidelines nowhere suggest (officially or unofficially)that jeans not be worn in the main dining room (not officially and not unofficially". Enforcement or non-enforcement regarding jeans is a non-issue.

On our Radiance of the Seas cruise to Alaska a few months ago...we hardly saw anyone dress in jeans in the Main Dining Room.

Most folks...even on non-formal nights...wore what most people would refer to as "business casual.

Considering how nice, clean, and elegant the MDR is on these ships, it was nice to see nearly all cruisers match their attire to the surroundings.

Where do they suggest that you don't? I'm familiar with what they suggest you wear, but never have I seen them suggest that you don't wear jeans.:confused:

However, just to be absolutely clear, RCI's suggested dress guidelines nowhere suggest (officially or unofficially)that jeans not be worn in the main dining room (not officially and not unofficially". Enforcement or non-enforcement regarding jeans is a non-issue.
Where do they suggest that you don't? I'm familiar with what they suggest you wear, but never have I seen them suggest that you don't wear jeans.:confused:

They suggest what you DO or SHOULD wear, both for formal and casual evenings. I think it's reasonable to assume that what's NOT on the suggested list - is not suggested! :)

I absolutely agree though that it's NOT an enforcement issue at all for jeans, as opposed to shorts, for which it is an enforcement issue.

Oh my.... It wasn't mean. I was just sharing my opinion. I would never say something to someone in person, but these are basically anonymous message boards.

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on-line. You would "never say something to someone in person"??? Why in the world would you say something directed at a specific person online that you wouldn't say to them face to face? The fact that people think they can say anything on-line these days while hiding behind anonymity is a much larger sign of the decline of civilization than wearing jeans (which most likely cost more than many dress pants) to dinner.

Please consider this when stating your "opinion" from now on...

I have sailed rccl caribean and have never worn jeans in the dining room.i just wondered if it is acceptable to do so on a alaska cruise? any answers appreciated.

Oh it's more than acceptable. On our Alaskan cruise we didn't bring anything even remotely close to formal attire as we were planning to spend formal nights in the WJ. When we notified the waitstaff they weren't having it and insisted on us coming to formal nights no matter what we were wearing. We didn't feel out of place at all and were welcomed with open arms by the wait staff. Enjoy your cruise!!

They suggest what you DO or SHOULD wear, both for formal and casual evenings. I think it's reasonable to assume that what's NOT on the suggested list - is not suggested! :)

this is what you said... RCI officially "suggests" that you don't.... That is quite different from misinterpreting RCI's suggestions to suit your reasoning. According to you, on formal night, RCI officially suggests that you don't wear military dress uniforms, or do you have another interpretation to share with us?

Love these dress code threads.:)

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on-line. You would "never say something to someone in person"??? Why in the world would you say something directed at a specific person online that you wouldn't say to them face to face? The fact that people think they can say anything on-line these days while hiding behind anonymity is a much larger sign of the decline of civilization than wearing jeans (which most likely cost more than many dress pants) to dinner.

Please consider this when stating your "opinion" from now on...

I keep seeing statements like the highlighted above posted. What is or is not appropriate to wear to dinner in the MDR (or any other restaurant) has absolutely nothing to do with what the outfit cost. "Hideously expensive" is definitely not synonymous with "tasteful and appropriate for the venue and occasion."

Is the following outfit appropriate for dinner in the MDR, just because the wearer was foolish enough to pay $2,460 for it? The answer is most definitely "NO!"

Neil Barrett baseball hat, $415:

2701635_195cfev-195cffm.jpg?x=450&q=80&n=1&sig=OfkyWI7jHwg62mtpE4yeZA--

Salomon S-Lab Running Shorts, $150:

SlabSense+front.jpeg

Dolce & Gabbana t-shirt, $1,495:

tshirt-v1.jpg

Peche Platinum flip flops, $400:

most_expensive_flip_flops_xrktw.jpg

this is what you said... RCI officially "suggests" that you don't.... That is quite different from misinterpreting RCI's suggestions to suit your reasoning. According to you, on formal night, RCI officially suggests that you don't wear military dress uniforms, or do you have another interpretation to share with us?

Love these dress code threads.:)

I think that military dress uniforms definitely comply, if you take a look - dress pants, dress shirt, coat/jacket and tie? I think that's all there in a military dress uniform.

I don't think I'm "misinterpreting RCI's suggestions to suit my reasoning. Stating that "not on the recommended list means not recommended" seems pretty straightforward to me, not much interpretation there at all.

I keep seeing statements like the highlighted above posted. What is or is not appropriate to wear to dinner in the MDR (or any other restaurant) has absolutely nothing to do with what the outfit cost. "Hideously expensive" is definitely not synonymous with "tasteful and appropriate for the venue and occasion."

Is the following outfit appropriate for dinner in the MDR, just because the wearer was foolish enough to pay $2,460 for it? The answer is most definitely "NO!"

Neil Barrett baseball hat, $415:

2701635_195cfev-195cffm.jpg?x=450&q=80&n=1&sig=OfkyWI7jHwg62mtpE4yeZA--

Salomon S-Lab Running Shorts, $150:

SlabSense+front.jpeg

Dolce & Gabbana t-shirt, $1,495:

tshirt-v1.jpg

Peche Platinum flip flops, $400:

most_expensive_flip_flops_xrktw.jpg

Make sure you leave the price tag on. Otherwise some of us commoners won't be able to tell how much you paid for this stuff, then we can be appreciative and impressed. It all depends on which name tag the lady in China picks to attach to the goods.

Edited by cruzincurt

Make sure you leave the price tag on. Otherwise some of us commoners won't be able to tell how much you paid for this stuff, then we can be appreciative and impressed.

Exactly! Leave the price tags on, although this commoner would mainly be impressed with the wearer's foolishness! :D

I don't think I'm "misinterpreting RCI's suggestions to suit my reasoning. Stating that "not on the recommended list means not recommended" seems pretty straightforward to me, not much interpretation there at all.

Now we've gone from suggested to recommended. Would that be officially recommended or just plain recommended?