Freestyle machine

Micky1

And not only is Navigator US-based, but she just had that *massive* drydock at the beginning of the year -- and they still didn't see fit to install the Freestyle machines. Makes zero sense. :confused:

Being that I like the Freestyle machines specifically for Coke Zero, that seems like an ironic pun.

I've always had trouble believing the "no cartridges outside the US" theory. RCI isn't exactly sailing out of third world countries. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to get the supplies in major European and Asian ports.

I wonder whether the machines don't actually drive the revenue they were expected to provide. For me, I'm only getting a drink package if coke freestyle machines are available, but perhaps I'm in the minority.

Being that I like the Freestyle machines specifically for Coke Zero, that seems like an ironic pun.

LOL... That's why I love the machines too! I can get Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero, then add in a shot of Cherry Fanta Zero. Bliss. The regular soft drink package is useless to me so I skip that, but RCI would get my money in a heartbeat for sodas if they had the machines on Navigator or Liberty.

Well if that list of ships with it is accurate, doesn't Jewel and Adventure sail out of the same SJ port?

So Jewel has them but AOS doesn't?

UGG

Thankfully, my youngest likes sprite.

She isn't allowed it much at home, so being that we are going on a vacation I had hoped to surprise her with the soda package.

The Freestyle machine would have blown her mind! She had it on Freedom but wasn't a huge pop fan then, so she just had grape soda! I had planned on letting her try it all this time around!

Ah well.

Well if that list of ships with it is accurate, doesn't Jewel and Adventure sail out of the same SJ port?

So Jewel has them but AOS doesn't?

UGG

Thankfully, my youngest likes sprite.

She isn't allowed it much at home, so being that we are going on a vacation I had hoped to surprise her with the soda package.

The Freestyle machine would have blown her mind! She had it on Freedom but wasn't a huge pop fan then, so she just had grape soda! I had planned on letting her try it all this time around!

Ah well.

Correct, no Freestyle on Adventure. Adventure has been going back and forth to Europe the last few years.

I've always had trouble believing the "no cartridges outside the US" theory. RCI isn't exactly sailing out of third world countries. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to get the supplies in major European and Asian ports.

I wonder whether the machines don't actually drive the revenue they were expected to provide. For me, I'm only getting a drink package if coke freestyle machines are available, but perhaps I'm in the minority.

I completely agree with everything you've said here. The soda package without the Freestyle Machine just becomes one big hassle. I hate standing at a bar, while the bartender waits on everyone else who is drinking liquor, as he/she ignores me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL... That's why I love the machines too! I can get Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero, then add in a shot of Cherry Fanta Zero. Bliss. The regular soft drink package is useless to me so I skip that, but RCI would get my money in a heartbeat for sodas if they had the machines on Navigator or Liberty.

I agree. I would not buy the soda or Replenish package without a Freestyle machine aboard.

Especially for a machine designed by Pininfarina, an Italian company

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Freestyle machines are not available outside so I guess the cost for the Coca Cola Company to provide supplies to these countries outweighs the income from RCI who would be their only customer for those regions.

Also certain sodas might be banned from certain countries meaning that they couldn't get those varieties onboard (for example the UK version of Vanilla Coke is very different to the U.S. Version due to regulations)

Maybe so. Though they installed the machines on sister ship Explorer without a dry dock. Could be there are some differences on Navigator.

No dry dock required, they seem to pick install locations which are not only convenient to passengers, but also convenient to run the required utilities from nearby existing locations. Also, Nav just had DD so if that was a requirement it would have been taken care of.

Unless they are indeed planning to reposition Navigator, It is a possibility that the original installations were part of a multi-ship contract. They would have hired contractors to come out to each of the 8 ships for a few days at a time and install the required plumbing and electrical. By combining multiple ships into one contract you can bet Royal was able to negotiate a much better price. If Navigator is the only other ship waiting for Freestyle install at the moment, perhaps the price is not right. :)

Freestyle machines are not available outside so I guess the cost for the Coca Cola Company to provide supplies to these countries outweighs the income from RCI who would be their only customer for those regions.

Also certain sodas might be banned from certain countries meaning that they couldn't get those varieties onboard (for example the UK version of Vanilla Coke is very different to the U.S. Version due to regulations)

How do you know that Freestyle machines are not available outside of the US? I find it hard to believe that who ever is manufacturing them isn't looking for every market that they can find to sell them in.

No dry dock required, they seem to pick install locations which are not only convenient to passengers, but also convenient to run the required utilities from nearby existing locations. Also, Nav just had DD so if that was a requirement it would have been taken care of.

Unless they are indeed planning to reposition Navigator, It is a possibility that the original installations were part of a multi-ship contract. They would have hired contractors to come out to each of the 8 ships for a few days at a time and install the required plumbing and electrical. By combining multiple ships into one contract you can bet Royal was able to negotiate a much better price. If Navigator is the only other ship waiting for Freestyle install at the moment, perhaps the price is not right. :)

I agree. With everything they are able to do on these ships it is hard to believe that power, water, and drainage would be so hard to accomplish without a dry docking.

I agree. With everything they are able to do on these ships it is hard to believe that power, water, and drainage would be so hard to accomplish without a dry docking.

Grandeur and Jewel were the 2 most recent ships to have the freestyle machines added (both within the past year) and they were done without a drydock.

How do you know that Freestyle machines are not available outside of the US? I find it hard to believe that who ever is manufacturing them isn't looking for every market that they can find to sell them in.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Freestyle

Mainly in the U.S. And Canada and now a small number of Burger Kings and Five Guys in the UK. The UK ones are significantly different to the U.S. ones in regard to what they stock as well.

I haven't been on a ship with one of these awesome machines yet...how many are on the ship? are they primarily found on the pool deck and in windjammer?

I am on the Indy in Feb so I guess I will wait and see if she is getting one of these. Looks like Indy doesn't have one right now. bummer. I agree that the soda package is more attractive with these machines to use.

I haven't been on a ship with one of these awesome machines yet...how many are on the ship? are they primarily found on the pool deck and in windjammer?

I am on the Indy in Feb so I guess I will wait and see if she is getting one of these. Looks like Indy doesn't have one right now. bummer. I agree that the soda package is more attractive with these machines to use.

The number of machines varies a bit by ship. I believe Explorer has 4 or 5, on the Royal Promenade, Windjammer, and possibly the Arcade. Exchantment has at least 3, one in the centrum and two near Windjammer.

I haven't cruised on RCI since 1997, but have a cruise coming up in March. We were hoping that AOS would have a Freestyle machine, but it does not.

Is it true that the only soda varieties on ships without Freestyle machines are

Coke

Diet Coke

Sprite

Ginger Ale

Tonic Water

??????

Can someone who has cruised recently please confirm that?

If that is true, surely RCI can do better than that! Carnival has Coke, Caffeine Free Coke, Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Barq's Root Beer, Fanta Orange, and Ginger Ale and either Pibb Xtra or Dr. Pepper products, depending on the home port.

If those are really the only soda options available on AOS, it looks like my family will be drinking lemonade and ice tea all week!

I haven't cruised on RCI since 1997, but have a cruise coming up in March. We were hoping that AOS would have a Freestyle machine, but it does not.

Is it true that the only soda varieties on ships without Freestyle machines are

Coke

Diet Coke

Sprite

Ginger Ale

Tonic Water

??????

Can someone who has cruised recently please confirm that?

If that is true, surely RCI can do better than that! Carnival has Coke, Caffeine Free Coke, Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Sprite Zero, Barq's Root Beer, Fanta Orange, and Ginger Ale and either Pibb Xtra or Dr. Pepper products, depending on the home port.

If those are really the only soda options available on AOS, it looks like my family will be drinking lemonade and ice tea all week!

The soda varieties available with any of the unlimited drink packages on those ships without a Freestyle machine are Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, and Soda Water.

However, if you are willing to purchase a can of soda for $2.88, then there are many more varieties available such as Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, etc.

The soda varieties available with any of the unlimited drink packages on those ships without a Freestyle machine are Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, and Soda Water.

However, if you are willing to purchase a can of soda for $2.88, then there are many more varieties available such as Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, etc.

Seriously?! Wow... :rolleyes:

The number of machines varies a bit by ship. I believe Explorer has 4 or 5, on the Royal Promenade, Windjammer, and possibly the Arcade. Exchantment has at least 3, one in the centrum and two near Windjammer.

Allure has two in the Windjammer, two located by Sorrento's on the Royal Promenade, and I think one in the Wipeout Café.

We're certainly not a 3rd world country (or developing country as is now the preferred term) but freestyle machines aren't really a thing here. As in I have never seen one anywhere in Australia. Perhaps there are some somewhere, but I live in a major city and travel frequently and they are definitely not commonplace as they are in the US. So yes, I think Royal probably would have trouble getting the supplies they need while over this side of the world.