Premium Balcony vs Mini Suite - Emerald

flip side of fifty

I have only stayed in a balcony on Princess, never a mini suite or Premium Balcony. I am planning on traveling with my 82 mother on a B2B, 7 day cruise. She had a Mini Suite once with Dad years ago and loved it. It has been years since she has been on a cruise so I would like to make this return nice for her. Although I am sure that a Suite would be nice :D ..... there is no way I can afford one!

We would be taking the Emerald Princess. The location for the Mini Suite is Mid-Aft, Dolphin; and for the Premium Balcony it would be Aft, Baja - very back end of the ship (~ D 752, 753). In my latest calculation the difference between the Premium Balcony and the Mini Suite is about $100 pp - for the B2B (Mini is higher of course) with the same OBC.

Neither one of us have ever been at the rear before and she has problems with wind hitting her face (it's medical), so don't know if the wind is greater or less at the Aft location. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome!

Thank you in advance for your feedback. :)

Most will likely tell you to book the mini. We had C752 on Grand (premium aft-facing balcony) and turned down the mini for $100 more. We wanted the large Caribe balcony overlooking the wake.

My wife and I absolutely loved C752. It seems you are considering a similar cabin but on Baja so likely won't have as large a balcony but I don't know as I've never been in that cabin on Baja. In general, the Caribe balconies are larger, though.

You will have more room, a small sofa, a second TV, and a bathtub with the mini. Your mother will likely appreciate these amenities so, unless she is a "wake freak" and really loves the wake (like my wife :)) you will likely be better off booking the mini for her.

Edited by Thrak

Honestly, I think you need to decide how able she is.

The mini-suite is a treat. It has a full tub- bath, more square footage inside, which is wonderful for space, but will she be mobile enough to raise her leg for the shower, or do you think a much smaller but easier to step into shower would be better for her. It also has a couch which is a nice place to relax if she does not want to sit on the balcony if it is windy. It even comes with an additional TV, which I think is a waste, but to each his own. Also, if you are not very active and will be mostly dining in the dining rooms and hanging at the Terrace pool (adults only) in the back, perhaps the aft balcony with the step in shower would be better. Mid aft is actually a really good location though and my favorite.

Shows are at the front of the ship, but they would be after dinner and you would have to walk anyway. The Sanctuary is also at the front of the ship and if you are planning to spend time there, then you may want mid aft/ship.

Mid ship perks are more elevators, which is a blessing at dinner time, less rocking and wind. Regarding wind however, I hang at the Terrace Pool all the time and it is no more windy than other areas.

Personally, we let Princess assign us and we save the $50 each. We have been put way in the front and way in the back...neither is horrible in my opinion, but you are walking the length of the boat a couple of times per day. I actually have knee issues and can feel it sometimes - I wear comfy shoes at all times to help.

Best of luck and enjoy the wonderful opportunity to make great memories!

Interesting.

I asked virtually this same question a few days ago and everyone told me to take the aft balcony. Said there was less wind and more shade back there.

Different posters on today. :)

You'll have a fine time whatever you decide

Interesting.

I asked virtually this same question a few days ago and everyone told me to take the aft balcony. Said there was less wind and more shade back there.

I LOVED the aft balcony. I only suggested the mini due to the fact that the OP is booking for his elderly mother. Some people don't like the bit of vibration found in the aft cabins. Like I said above, we kept our booking for C752 rather than taking the mini for very little more. Others vastly prefer the mini and don't like the bit of vibration or the noise of the wake. We loved the fact that we didn't have the wind back there. Even on calm days you still have wind on a regular balcony simply due to the motion of the ship. On the aft balcony it wasn't an issue.

To those mentioning the sofa: don't Deluxe Balconies have sofas?

The Royal and Regal Deluxe Balcony rooms have a 2 cushion loveseat, it's not a full length sofa. These are the only 2 ships where Deluxe Balconies have this additional amenity.

Berni

One consideration you might need to think about is the bathtub in the minisuite.Some people think having a tub is wonderful, but it was the one thing I disliked, and would be reluctant to book another mini for that reason. The outer side wall is higher than that of a home bathtub, making it awkward for climbing in and out. Also there was no conveniently located grab bar, so we had to use the towel bar inside the tub for lack of anything else to hang onto. In rough seas getting in and out was rather scary.

A cabin with just a shower might be better for your Mom, as it is only a small step up to enter it.

The Royal and Regal Deluxe Balcony rooms have a 2 cushion loveseat, it's not a full length sofa. These are the only 2 ships where Deluxe Balconies have this additional amenity.

Berni

Emerald Princess does not have Deluxe Balcony cabins. There will only be one cushioned chair in a Balcony Cabin.

Go for the mid-ship Mini-Suite with a full sized couch, a larger bathroom w/tub, and more cabin space. :)

LuLu

I dearly love the C752 and C753 with the big aft balconies, but most of the time we have been mid to aft on Baja.

It is a long walk to the front of the ship and the IC, where I like to hang out.

Pat

for this reason is why i would pick the mini suite. Having the sofa to sit on to watch the tv is an added bonus

Thank you for all your comments!

The mini suite does sounds like the way to go, the only positive for the Aft is that the Mini bathtub may be difficult for her and it was commented that there is less wind in the back.

I have one more question - if only to settle this. If anyone knows - for the cruises I am looking at, Now, the only Aft cabins available state: "BALC PARTLY OBSTRUCTDUE TO SUPPORT BEAM".

How bad is this?

And, thank you again for your help!!!

Interesting.

OP is doing a b2b with an elderly mother. Personally without an elderly person, it would be aft corner all the way. If I were traveling with my mother it would be mid-ship, close to the elevators, and in a mini suite.