How do you judge a good deal?

5kids2dogs

Looking at RC's so called BOGOHO prices makes me wonder how experienced cruisers judge a good price. We've only been on 2 cruises, but I'm not sure if they were good deals or not. We need to cruise during the summer because of our kids school schedules so that puts us in what seems to be higher rates. Also we can only afford the inside or promenade rooms so no balconies for us. Is there a per person per day rate you shoot for including port fees/taxes? Again remember summer/inside room.

Looking at RC's so called BOGOHO prices makes me wonder how experienced cruisers judge a good price. We've only been on 2 cruises, but I'm not sure if they were good deals or not. We need to cruise during the summer because of our kids school schedules so that puts us in what seems to be higher rates. Also we can only afford the inside or promenade rooms so no balconies for us. Is there a per person per day rate you shoot for including port fees/taxes? Again remember summer/inside room.

I usually scout out the prices for a while before I book. There are also websites that keep a history of prices for particular cruises, so you can go back and see what the lowest price has been for a certain cabin type on that cruise.

You're right about the BOGOHO. The prices were good during that May BOGOHO, but only for a few days.

I know on our 1st cruise on Enchantment in 2001, we paid $699pp before taxes/fees for an inside. 10 years later we went on our next cruise on Freedom in an inside and paid $729pp for an inside quad and my parents paid about $1050 for a balcony, and friends paid $879ish for their outside. Those are the prices I typically feel OK with. Next April (school vacation) we are going on Freedom in a Family Ocean View and are paying $3033 for 5, so about $610pp. I don't pay attention to how much the 3rd and 4th person are, I just take the full fare and divide by the number of people in the room and see if I am happy with that price. I know there are deals to be had, but we can only cruise at certain times of the year because of school and work, so we do what we can. Hope that helped a little. Good Luck!

Glad to see you focus on the per person per day rate. IMHO that is best indicator of a deal. I almost always book an inside cabin, otherwise as a solo it is more expensive than I want to pay. I consider a few factors, in addition to the per day, such as the itinerary (I'll pay more for something unique, and less for a short cruise to Bahamas), the ship itself (not necessarily the largest but whether it is mid size) and obviously the time of year. All that said, I aim for less than $200/day for a unique itinerary on my preferred ship size. If it is the same old 7 day Caribbean I drop down to $150 per day. The per day rate also clears up the confusion on solo pricing, which can be a full 200% or down to 150%. When the BOGOHH first opened in early May I quickly booked several unique cruises that would have been quite a bit more, and those have continued to go up since.

I'm sure others will have their own "benchmark", bottom line is to be ready to jump on special deals.

We have the same threshold. What type of rooms are you getting for $100 pp pd?

2 adults 2 kids in a "family" interior cabin. Going on the Allure in 3 weeks in such a room (L inside quad).

When my wife and I cruise without the kids, we can almost always find a cabin with a window for under the $100/day number. Gotta be careful because lots of people give prices quotes before taxes and port/fuel charges. My numbers are total.

Don't forget that if you cruise once a year or more, sign up while you are on the ship for your "next cruise." You don't have to pick a ship or sail date, just sign up and you will get OBC, which is on top pf any deals you get from RCL, and also on top of any OBC your Travel Agent gives you.

Last year I think I had $100 from the "next cruise" and another $125 or $150 from my TA as OBC.

35 cruises and I have never paid more than $100 per day after all taxes and charges. This factors in travel agents that give me on board credit.

A per-day amount is a good philosophy, though an individual's ideal amount will differ from person to person and even by ships and itineraries. Many people want to set that bar a bit higher than $100 per day to get a more enjoyable cabin type and a better overall experience. To each their own.

I to believe that the 100.00 per day per person is my comfort zone or less , I managed quad on navigation a month ago for 1500.00 taxes and fees included in canadian dollars , Alaska I have never paid more than that , but judging by prices that might change for next year sailing

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

2 adults 2 kids in a "family" interior cabin. Going on the Allure in 3 weeks in such a room (L inside quad).

When my wife and I cruise without the kids, we can almost always find a cabin with a window for under the $100/day number. Gotta be careful because lots of people give prices quotes before taxes and port/fuel charges. My numbers are total.

Don't forget that if you cruise once a year or more, sign up while you are on the ship for your "next cruise." You don't have to pick a ship or sail date, just sign up and you will get OBC, which is on top pf any deals you get from RCL, and also on top of any OBC your Travel Agent gives you.

Last year I think I had $100 from the "next cruise" and another $125 or $150 from my TA as OBC.

Good points about the TA perks. The one I've been using offers priority boarding, OBC's, usually a dinner for two in a specialty restaurant, bottle of champagne, etc. Usually much better than what they offer directly from RCI.

We find that if we book under a Canadian Residence Rate sale no other promotion can beat the price. BOGOHO has been $800-$1200 more for the 3 of us for our Feb sailing.

Look at cruise fish dot net you can see some pricing history on there.

franl24fan "I consider a few factors, in addition to the per day, such as the itinerary (I'll pay more for something unique, and less for a short cruise to Bahamas), the ship itself (not necessarily the largest but whether it is mid size) and obviously the time of year."

Ok so lets say a Southern Caribbean itinerary on Adventure of the Seas in June. What would the reasonable per person per day rate be for a PR room? Right now it's WELL over $100pp.

Edited by 5kids2dogs

Set a dollar figure that you feel is in your budget.

Book at what you are happy with and watch for price drops and request adjustments as they pop up.

I think a good deal is $100/day pp, balcony.

I am spoiled with the balcony and won't sail without one, so when I can find it $100/day pp, that is a good deal.

Our cruise in November we are paying $685 pp for a 7 day, balcony stateroom on deck 12. Couldn't pass up that deal.

I'm finding the BOGOHO isn't that great a deal. The bottom line prices don't seem to be much different than anything else I've seen. Even with that deal, Carnival seems to be a better deal, pricewise, than Royal Caribbean is with their offer. I found similar pricing comparing the BOGOHO on Royal Caribbean with similar itinerary Celebrity, NCL and sometimes even Princess. Princess' prices seem to be higher lately, but i've seen them low before too.

We usually are willing to pay between $500-800 pp per day, inside cabin, for a 10 night cruise. Sometimes we can get a good deal on a balcony and will do that, especially with our $350 D+ discount. The very best deal, somewhat last minute, was an 11 night member's cruise, inside, for $399 pp. That will never happen again, I'm sure. I check a couple times a week for price drops, but that rarely happens any more. I am still waiting for the elusive "upgrade fairy" to visit. :rolleyes: One can hope.....;)

Gwen :)

We used the BOGOHO sale back in June for two cruises. April on Oasis in an ocean side balcony for $133 pp per night. November on Grandeur in an ocean view for $82 pp per night. Both were final cost. It's nice to get under $100 a night, but I'll pay more for a better or different experience.

We always book double occupancy cabins and have lived by the philosophy that $100.00 pp per day for a balcony, $80.00 pp per day for ocean view and $60.00 pp per day for an inside are great rates. That being said, we haven't sailed on the Oasis class of ship yet.

FWIW, I was able to get the Brilliance for next January, cat E1 balcony, for $468.00 pp for a 5 night sailing using the BOGOHO sale (that price includes all taxes and fees), which to me is a great rate.

We look for $100 pp per day or less for a balcony, base price. Often we have gotten cabins for much less, but this is getting harder, especially on RCI. For unique itineraries, like Tahiti, we might pay more.

It helps that we usually sail in off or shoulder seasons and are very flexible as to cruise line, ship, itinerary (within reason) and cabin location. We just want a balcony and preferably at least 10 days.

I'm looking at the Freedom sailing April 12. For an inside cabin, it's just under $1700 with the BOGOHO deal. That seems high to me. Works out to be $121/per day taxes in.

If we book now, are we still eligible for any future price drops? How do they work? Do you get the price docked right off the total or do they just give you onboard credit for the amount?

I'm looking at the Freedom sailing April 12. For an inside cabin, it's just under $1700 with the BOGOHO deal. That seems high to me. Works out to be $121/per day taxes in.

If we book now, are we still eligible for any future price drops? How do they work? Do you get the price docked right off the total or do they just give you onboard credit for the amount?

You are eligible for price drops up to final payment date. They would just reduce the amount you owe.

Newbie to this sign up on board thing...can you explain to someone who is very unfamiliar with terminology at this point?

thanks